Button/link click not going anywhere

If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the browser to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be displayed/box to pop up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text just displays) what do I have to do?

Thanks.
0
bit
12/11/2016 5:20:56 PM
comp.lang.javascript 38370 articles. 0 followers. javascript4 (1315) is leader. Post Follow

On 12/11/2016 06:20 PM, bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
> If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the browser to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be displayed/box to pop up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text just displays) what do I have to do?
>

> Thanks.

Click event on HTML <button> tag?. You can also give a "name" attribute
to an <a> element instead of "href" and then handle the click event on it.
0
Silvio
12/11/2016 7:33:56 PM
On 11.12.2016 at 18:20, bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:

> If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the
> browser to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be
> displayed/box to pop up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text
> just displays) what do I have to do?

You should *prevent* the elements *default* action.

--
Christoph M. Becker
0
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 09:20:56 -0800 (PST), bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
> If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the browser
> to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be displayed/box to pop
> up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text just displays) what do I
> have to do?
>
> Thanks.

For a link, set the HREF attribute to `javascript:void(0)`.

For a button, if it's inside a FORM element, detach it from the form by not
specifying the NAME attribute and not setting TYPE attribute to `submit`. If
the button is not inside a FORM element, there's nothing need to be done.

If you don't do these, you'll have to prevent the default action in your
code yourself.
0
JJ
12/12/2016 5:17:16 AM
On 12.12.2016 at 06:17, JJ wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 09:20:56 -0800 (PST), bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
>> If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the browser
>> to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be displayed/box to pop
>> up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text just displays) what do I
>> have to do?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> For a link, set the HREF attribute to `javascript:void(0)`.

See <http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#javascriptURI>, for why
that may not be the best advice.

--
Christoph M. Becker
0
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:15:31 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
> On 12.12.2016 at 06:17, JJ wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 09:20:56 -0800 (PST), bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> If I have a button/link, upon clicking of which I do NOT want the browser
>>> to go off anywhere - ie. say, I want a text to be displayed/box to pop
>>> up, etc ,etc WITHOUT a refresh, (ie. the text just displays) what do I
>>> have to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> For a link, set the HREF attribute to `javascript:void(0)`.
>
> See <http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#javascriptURI>, for why
> that may not be the best advice.

True, but OP doesn't want the browser to leave the current page, so there's
no need for fallback. `HREF="javascript:void(0)"` would guarantee it without
changing the current URL, when the link's click handler encounters an
unhandled exception.
0
JJ
12/12/2016 3:36:08 PM
JJ wrote:
^^
Please post using your real name here.

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:15:31 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
>> On 12.12.2016 at 06:17, JJ wrote:
>>> For a link, set the HREF attribute to `javascript:void(0)`.
>> See <http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#javascriptURI>, for why
>> that may not be the best advice.
>
> True, but OP doesn't want the browser to leave the current page, so
> there's no need for fallback. `HREF="javascript:void(0)"` would guarantee
> it without changing the current URL, when the link's click handler
> encounters an unhandled exception.

You have not read the FAQ entry, have you?

If there is no fallback, then an “a[href]” element should not have been used
in the first place.  Besides, the problem then is the unhandled exception.

What actually happens is that the location of the window does change in that
case, too, which is another reason why it is a bad idea (unless you make
tests).

--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.de/faq> | <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix>
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 11:17:23 PM UTC-6, JJ wrote:

> If you don't do these, you'll have to prevent the default action in your
> code yourself.

How please? What needs to be done?
0
bit

<https://lmgtfy.com/?q=javascript+prevent+default>.

--
Christoph M. Becker
0
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:36:05 -0800 (PST), bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 11:17:23 PM UTC-6, JJ wrote:
>
>> If you don't do these, you'll have to prevent the default action in your
>> code yourself.
>
> How please? What needs to be done?

It depends on how you handle the click event. So, please post the relevant
code.
0
JJ