Disable Vertical Scroll Bars

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.

any ideas would be most appreciated.

0
Reply David 2/16/2004 2:32:25 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article <4030d47a$1@nntphost.cis.strath.ac.uk>,
dcherry+usenet@cis.strath.ac.uk enlightened us with...
> is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
> window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
> sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
>
> any ideas would be most appreciated.

Is this for a site other people are going to look at?
If so, they might want to increase the font size so they can read it.
Making the scroll bars go away is a Bad Thing (tm) for accessibility
reasons. Some people don't have good eyesight and may need to increase
the font size to as large as it goes. This usually makes any "normal"
page have to scroll.

As to removing them from an open window, no. You can open a new window
with no scrollbars, but (see above) it's a Bad Idea (tm) for internet
sites.

If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
that didn't have them, in theory.

~kaeli~
I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

0
Reply kaeli 2/16/2004 5:20:52 PM

kaeli wrote:

> In article <4030d47a$1@nntphost.cis.strath.ac.uk>,
> dcherry+usenet@cis.strath.ac.uk enlightened us with...
> > is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
> > window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
> > sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
> >
> > any ideas would be most appreciated.
>

> If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
> any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
> that didn't have them, in theory.

Actually, it is possible to control things like scrollbars in your own
browser. Create a css file with something like:

body { overflow-x: hidden ! important; }

Then in Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options,
Accessibility..., check "Format documents using my style sheet", then
Browse... and specify the css file created above. You will never get a
horizontal scrollbar on any Web page again.

And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
(although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding

body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }

Although it doesn't appear to do what I think it should be doing, however it
does suppress horizontal scrollbars (in addition to doing odd things to the
vertical one). Also note that the res directory contains other css files
such as forms.css, which contains default CSS for all form elements. For
example, if you always want text inputs on forms to have a single pixel
black border, you can change:

input {
  border: 2px inset ThreeDFace;
}

input {
  border: 1px solid Black ! important;
}

By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
didn't read very carefully.

Also, the procedures outlined above are precisely why you shouldn't rely on
your Web page rendering the same on anyone's computer other then your own.

--
| Grant Wagner <gwagner@agricoreunited.com>

*

*

Reply Grant 2/26/2004 8:21:08 PM

Grant Wagner wrote:

> [...]
> And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
> (although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
> effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding
>
> body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }
>
> [...]
> By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
> of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
> didn't read very carefully.

That's why there is the possibility for
<profile_directory>/chrome/userContent.css
and the like.

PointedEars
0
Reply Thomas 2/28/2004 10:18:35 PM
comp.lang.javascript 37858 articles. 16 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[Uniface-L] Disable vertical scroll bar dynamically
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C96437.EB981912 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, =20 I'm using Uniface 8.4.02 and I want to disable vertical scroll bar with $= entityproperties function but I don't work correct syntax =20 =20 Thibault CAGNION CGi IMMOBILIER e-mail : cagnion@cgi.ch - site : www.cgi.ch <file:///C:/Documents%20and%2= 0Settings/cagnion/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.cgi.ch>=20 T=E9l. +4122 809 09 67- Fax +4122 809 09 11 ...

[Uniface-L] Disable vertical scroll bar dynamically #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C96438.4CE30C9C Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, =20 I'm using Uniface 8.4.02 and I want to disable vertical scroll bar with $= entityproperties function but I don't work correct syntax. =20 Please can you help me ? =20 Thank you in advance Greetings =20 Thibault CAGNION CGi IMMOBILIER e-mail : cagnion@cgi.ch - site : www.cgi.ch <file:///C:/Documents%20and%2= 0Settings/cagnion/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signature...

Only Vertical Scroll bar no horizontal bars
Hi, I am struggling with a problem for sometimes. I need to display a table in a html and if the height of the table goes beyond 200 px then a vertical scrollbar should alone appear without any horizontal scroll bar. If the height of the table is less than 200 px then no scroll bars should appear. Here is the html below. I tried to wrap the table around a <div> tag but its doesn't work out as the scroll bar appear close to the scroll bar of the page rather than close to the table. Further if the height of the table is less than 200 px (i.e., with fewer number of rows like j...

Scrolling Vertical Scroll Bar Does Not Call OnVScroll
I am using MS Visual C++ v. 7.1 on Windows XP 5.1 and am developing an application using AppWizard. I have made a dialog box and have created a class for it of type CDialog. Into the dialog box I have included a vertical scroll bar. Within the class I have added a function OnVScroll(UINT nSBCode, UINT nPos, CScrollBar* pScrollBar) I would have expected that, when I scroll on the vertical scroll bar that this function would be called. It is not. I try right-clicking on the scroll bar in the dialog box and selecting "Add Event Handler". The only option I get to handle...

Mouse Scrolling Inside Standard Fields configured with Vertical Scroll Bar
Guys/Gals, Does anyone know how to make Filemaker Pro 5 allow mouse wheel scrolling inside a standard field formatted with a vertical scroll bar? Currently, when I use the mouse scroll wheel, Filemaker scrolls through records even if I click inside the standard field configured with a vertical scroll bar. I'd like to simply have the program scroll inside the field when I click inside it rather than always scrolling records. The particular fields have large amount of notes text, so I'd like to scroll through the paragraphs similar to how one would with a WORD doc or something similar...

vertical scroll bar
hi,i am new to LabVIEW..so i have small doubt. In LabVIEW&nbsp;7.1&nbsp;have a&nbsp;Table with vertical scroll bars.&nbsp;i take output of measurements in table.&nbsp; When the table is&nbsp; full, the vertical scroll bar starts to move "up" the table.&nbsp;Is there a way to keep the srcoll bar at the bottom, so that the last line is always visible? Hi, On this post you have your answer <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=154507&amp;requireLogin=False" target="_blank">http://forums....

Vertical Scroll Bars arrrggghhh!
Hello everyone, I have a question about filemaker pro and vertical scroll bars. I have created a layout with two facing fields, both of which have scroll bars. I want to read the content of field A and switch to field B to make notes. My problem - when I go beyond the window of field A and scroll down and then switch to field B to make my notes, Field A resets itself back to the top, making it impossible for me to see what is in field A and write about it in B. Is there any way to stop the vertical scroll bar from reseting when I switch fields? I know this behavior is common in a lot of w...

iFrame vertical scroll bar
I am working on a picture preview page ... some questions and suggestions have been incorporated already, but the 'user' (i.e. wife!) would like it to be more user friendly (if it isn't one thing, its another!!) The page is basic - a generic, blank page with navigation a picture presentation area, and a frame showing different thumbnails. Problem: Once the user has scrolled down the frame and selected a picture, the frame resets to the top. Question - How can I make the frames vertical scroll bar hold its position, or reset to the position last managed by the user? - I hav...

Scroll bar on a disabled TextBox
Hi I have a TextBox on my form with Enable=False and Lock=True which needs to display comments but not allow the user to edit it. Since some comments are long, I need a scroll bar to allow the user to scroll up and down to view all of the comment. Scroll Bar property is already set to 'Vertical' but does not appear because the TextBox cannot get focus (as it is disabled for read-only). Is there a way around it so that the TextBox can remain read-only and I can have it get focus so that the scroll bar can be activated? TIA Rab Rab wrote: > Hi > > I have a TextBox on my f...

Vertical scroll bar in GUI
Simply how do I add a vertical scroll bar to a GUI ? - just like the one other applications have. I've to create a dynamic GUI that keeps increasing in size as the user selects and adds more stuff to it. The only way to do so is to start with a minimal interface and as the user adds more stuff, add a vertical scroll bar and the user can see the whole GUI as it keeps increasing in size. Now there is no way that I can predict the actual size of the GUI. It depends entirely on what and how much the user selects, which will vary from case to case. I tried searching through the newsgroup and...

Vertical scroll bars dissapeared
I have c5508 ee Vertical scroll bar dissapeared in all browses in all my app s. Suggestions on clarionfoundry did not help. Can anybody help on this problem. In the UpdateWindow embed point try: SELF.HasThumb = True HTH, Ed "Vedy" <vedy@hi.hinet.hr> wrote in message news:A921.1069537468.6269@discuss.softvelocity.com... > I have c5508 ee > > Vertical scroll bar dissapeared in all browses in all my app s. > > Suggestions on clarionfoundry did not help. > > Can anybody help on this problem. > > > In the ABC Objects Bro...

Vertical Scroll Bar not visible
I have a A2000 form that won't show the vertical scroll bar. I have the scroll bar format set to show Both. The horizontal bar works fine. I tried settting the format to show vertical only and it still doesn't show. (it should show as I can only see about half the screen and can't get to the bottom half) Make sure the internal margins of the text box are zero. If the control's TopMargin or LeftMargin are not zero, the scrollbar doesn't work. (This is fixed in Access 2007, but previous versions still have the problem.) Of course, the scrollbars don't show un...

Vertical scroll bars update?
I have a VI that I want to update the vertical scroll bars after the table has enough data that the scroll bars can be used.&nbsp;By default as far as I can tell the data in the table does not cause the scroll bars to move automatically to show the latest data in the table. I came up with a way to do it but was wondering if there is a better way of doing it. The VI that I came up with is attached. Let me know if there any any other ideas with this. &nbsp; Thanks, Troy Vertical_Scroll_Bar_Update.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/154507/1/Vertical_Scroll_Bar_Update.vi Hi Tro...

ActiveX Browser: How to disable the Scroll Bar ??
I Would like to display same html files with the Web Browser but without seeing the scroll bar. Is it possible ?? Thanks to help me. Hi, The Scrollbar in the activeX browser is the property of the page being loaded and not the container. If you have access to editing the HTML files that you are loading, add the following line in the html document: <body scroll="no"> If you don't have write access to the html files, then you can cover the scroll area of the activeX container with another activeX container. You can't use a decoration to cover it since the activeX con...

list control with vertical scroll bar?
I've a list control (whose .rc code is displayed below) to show bitmap images. CONTROL "List1",IDC_LIST1,"SysListView32",LVS_SHOWSELALWAYS LVS_ALIGNLEFT | WS_BORDER | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP,2,33,300,223 In spite of WS_VSCROLL it doesn't show any vertical scroll bar (but an horizontal scroll bar) when a large number of image is displayed. Any idea on what's the problem? Thanks in advance, Gianfranco Hi, You need to include the following Windows styles to the control: WS_CHILD WS_VISIBLE http://msdn.micr...

Vertical Scroll bars on WIn 98
There was discussion re ; SELF:__FormWindow:ResetMinSize() // Should turn off 'auto' scroll bars in Datawindows. Is this the syntax ? Have you this working in the PostInit() I tried it and it does not work. I have DW with DW Tabs and the main DW window has the Scroll bars. Does not do this on W2k and XP.. only on Win 98. Any ideas.. ?? -- Phil McGuinness - Sherlock Software Hi Phil, no, as far as I remember you have to define an Access in your basic-datawindow-class like this for example: Access FormFrame Class PhilsBasicDataWindow return oFormFra...

wxTextCtrl, remove vertical scroll bar
Hi i m usinng wxMSW 2.4 on WinXP. I have wxTextCtrl with wxTE_RICH2 | wxTE_MULTILINE settings. I want to provide my own scrolling so i want to remove vertical scrollbar (even though the control has to draw one). I want to either 1) Set vertical scrollbar's width to 1 or 0 pixel. OR 2) Remove vertical scrollbar completely. Please help~~~ -- Programer - SplashMedia http://splashmedia.co.nz --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-un...

find height of vertical scroll bar in IE
Hi, Is there any way to find the height of vertical scroll bar with out moving the scroll bar in IE ? Thanks in Advance Kiran. On Aug 8, 9:45 am, wolverine <kiran.ha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Is there any way to find the height of vertical scroll bar with > out moving the scroll bar in IE ? > Not sure exactly what you mean by that. If you want to find out what percentage of the page's height is visible, the clientHeight and scrollHeight properties of the body (documentElement in standards mode) element will be of interest. On Aug 9, 9:35 am, David Ma...

Controlling HTML SELECT vertical scroll bars
Hi, I've been searching the net all day today trying to figure out how one would accomplish what I originally thought would be a fairly straight forward and simple thing. The problem I'm trying to solve is that the designer would like to limit the total number of entires shown when you click on the drop-down arrow of a select box. I'm starting to think that this isn't possible. I've tried the following with no luck: - Setting the height attribute on the select element - Setting a style height for the select attribute - Modifying the same through Javascript - Setting the ...

IE's vertical scroll bar
I'm using window.open to open a new window. var str = "...resizable=1,scrollbars=yes"; var win = window.open("index.htm", "course", str); and all is well and good, except that IE displays a vertical scroll bar even though the content fits within the browser window. If I set "scrollbars=no" then if the user zooms in no scroll bars appear if the size of the content exceeds the size of the window. How can I set it so that an un-needed vertical scroll bar does not appear in IE but that scroll bars do appear if the size of the content ...

Vertical Scroll Bar Speed (lack thereof)
This sure is different. In Eudora, with two windows showing vertically, email message subjects above, one text below, If I use the mouse to use the vertical scroll bar to scroll either half window up or down, the scrolling is slow as all get-out. I never experienced this before. But this is a new XP installation, so maybe something unique is causing this. What could cause this? Some wild setting? Thanks On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:17:22 -0500, jw@eldorado.com declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows: > I never experienced this before. But this is a new ...

Vertical scroll bar with missing bottom arrow?
Just been involved with a web site where clicking a button on the main page opened a second (or secondary) window intended to function like a dialog box in Apple GUI jargon. (The primary page was a private nonprofit organization's home page and the secondary window was actually an election ballot.) The secondary window opened smaller than the primary page, both vertically and horizontally, with a vertical scroll bar which had the usual slider, an up arrow at the top of the bar, but -- unusual, in my experience -- no down arrow at the bottom (though the slider could be d...

Vertical scroll bar moving a bit left in IE
Hi All, I have an application written in CGI as the server side script and Java script on client side. In one of the web pages, I am seeing scroll bar moving a bit left rather than being at the end. This page is looking fine in Firefox. Is there any way I can see what went wrong. Pls let me know if you need any more information. Thank you, Venu venu madhav wrote on 25 jun 2010 in comp.lang.javascript: > I have an application written in CGI as the server side script > and Java script on client side. There is no Java script language, Java is a to be compiled...

front pannel scroll bar get disabled(not visible)
Hi, &nbsp; I am facing some strange problem with Lab View front pannel. I am doing some expriement with PictRing vi which is in Ring&amp;Enum. Then while doing this I lost my scroll bar(both vertical &amp; horizontal) from front pannel. But it's present in&nbsp;block diagram of same vi. I deleted the PictRing vi and restarted my pc considering it may visible the scroll bar but it's not working. If I create new vi their on front pannel scroll bar is appearing. What might be a problem with my vi? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n...