Disable Vertical Scroll Bars

is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.

any ideas would be most appreciated.

0
David
2/16/2004 2:32:25 PM
comp.lang.javascript 38077 articles. 0 followers. javascript4 (1315) is leader. Post Follow

In article <4030d47a$1@nntphost.cis.strath.ac.uk>,
dcherry+usenet@cis.strath.ac.uk enlightened us with...
> is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
> window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
> sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
>
> any ideas would be most appreciated.

Is this for a site other people are going to look at?
If so, they might want to increase the font size so they can read it.
Making the scroll bars go away is a Bad Thing (tm) for accessibility
reasons. Some people don't have good eyesight and may need to increase
the font size to as large as it goes. This usually makes any "normal"
page have to scroll.

As to removing them from an open window, no. You can open a new window
with no scrollbars, but (see above) it's a Bad Idea (tm) for internet
sites.

If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
that didn't have them, in theory.

~kaeli~
I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

0
kaeli
2/16/2004 5:20:52 PM
kaeli wrote:

> In article <4030d47a$1@nntphost.cis.strath.ac.uk>,
> dcherry+usenet@cis.strath.ac.uk enlightened us with...
> > is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
> > window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
> > sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
> >
> > any ideas would be most appreciated.
>

> If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
> any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
> that didn't have them, in theory.

Actually, it is possible to control things like scrollbars in your own
browser. Create a css file with something like:

body { overflow-x: hidden ! important; }

Then in Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options,
Accessibility..., check "Format documents using my style sheet", then
Browse... and specify the css file created above. You will never get a
horizontal scrollbar on any Web page again.

And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
(although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding

body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }

Although it doesn't appear to do what I think it should be doing, however it
does suppress horizontal scrollbars (in addition to doing odd things to the
vertical one). Also note that the res directory contains other css files
such as forms.css, which contains default CSS for all form elements. For
example, if you always want text inputs on forms to have a single pixel
black border, you can change:

input {
  border: 2px inset ThreeDFace;
}

input {
  border: 1px solid Black ! important;
}

By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
didn't read very carefully.

Also, the procedures outlined above are precisely why you shouldn't rely on
your Web page rendering the same on anyone's computer other then your own.

--
| Grant Wagner <gwagner@agricoreunited.com>

*

*

Grant
2/26/2004 8:21:08 PM
Grant Wagner wrote:

> [...]
> And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
> (although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
> effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding
>
> body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }
>
> [...]
> By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
> of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
> didn't read very carefully.

That's why there is the possibility for
<profile_directory>/chrome/userContent.css
and the like.

PointedEars
0
Thomas

How to disable preview?
10.2 allowed me to turn off the Finder column view preview, how might I do this in 10.3? -- Gnarlie In article <cee5d8f67040726c864b343ee1442539@news.teranews.com>, Gnarlodious <gnarlodiousNULL@VOID.invalid.yahoo.com> wrote: > 10.2 allowed me to turn off the Finder column view preview, how might I do > this in 10.3? Put a window in preview mode. Press command-J. It's there in the window. Although the View Options window for column view doesn't have a This-window-only/all-windows selector, it is global to all windows. -- Never play strip tarot. Gnarlodiou...

disable "disable dynamic updating?"?
How do I tell Mathematica to stop asking me if I want to "Disable Dynamic Updating"? It's really getting on my nerves. On Dec 13, 12:26 am, "dabro...@indiana.edu" <dabro...@indiana.edu> wrote: > How do I tell Mathematica to stop asking me if I want to "Disable > Dynamic Updating"? It's really getting on my nerves. As is stated in the dialog you mention, edit the values of the TrustedPath and/or UntrustedPath options in the Preferences dialog. Though before doing so, please take a moment to consider the security implications. ...

interrupt disabling question
Pardon me for being paranoid and uncertain. move #$4000,intena+custom # disable interrupts inst1 inst2 move #$c000,intena+custom # enable interrupts Is it possible that a maskable interrupt happens between inst1 and inst2? On 68000 I would be fairly confident to say 'no'. But how is it on 68060? As a paranoid person I might put a few 'nops' after disabling interrupts. This is not a practical problem for me since I'm coding for UAE, and I know how UAE operates. Just curious. -- Heikki Orsila There has yet to be any innovation, new heikki.orsila@e...

Disable "Press any key to continue..."
Hello group! I'm trying to find a way to disable the message "Press any key to continue..." in a Universe NT system. The messsage is displayed in a BASIC program. I have tried CRT @(0) in various places in the program, but no luck. I can't use NOPAGE becasue it is not a LIST or SORT. Here is a sample of the program HEADER := \PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION'L'\ HEADER := \--------------------------------- -- ----------\ HEADING HEADER **** Here is BASIC commands with CRT functions. The TERM command controls the page break and the heading. *** I'm l...

Disabling Buttons?
How can I disable a button once it has been clicked? I want to prevent the user from clicking on it twice if they have a slow connection. Thanks... Ralph Freshour wrote: > How can I disable a button once it has been clicked? I want to prevent > the user from clicking on it twice if they have a slow connection. > > Thanks... <input type="button" value="Please click me" class="button" onclick="return singleClick(this, 'Please wait...');" /> <script type="text/javascript"> function singleClick(b, s) { // m...

The Wintard version of a Genius Bar
http://lingeriepc.com/ Not that I might not visit on my own. You know. Strictly out of curiosity. In article <1189828281.454815.74280@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, "gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com" <gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://lingeriepc.com/ > > Not that I might not visit on my own. You know. Strictly out of > curiosity. Actually, Lingerie PC serve Mactards as well! "� Windows and Mac OS" Technically both Windows boxes and Macs are 'PC's. It was actually APPLE (not IBM or anyone else) who first used the ter...

Disabling password
My old computer has been passed along to my wife. When I had it, I put in a password on my account. I want to take that off (while retaining the Admin password). I did system pref->security and unchecked require password. Yet it is still asking for it. Did I miss something? Kurt -- America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe In article <h-udnRkEKuD70xzNnZ2dnUVZ_rqXnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Kurt Ullman <kurtullman@yahoo.com> wrote: > My old computer has been passed alo...

disable index without asterisks in \section commands
Hi, does anyone know whether there's any way to avoid \section (\subsection and so on) appearing in the document index ? I rather don't use \section*{} because I'm referencing documents that I use in other places and I need it to have the section numbering. What I'd like is that if I have a file a.tex: % a.tex ------------------ \section{My Section} % 1. \subsection{My Subsection} % 1.1 ... % ------------------------ I'd like to use it in b.tex without interfering the index % b.tex ------------------ \makeindex .... \input{a} % ------...

How to find scroll bar width?
Hi all, I have a program that creates a window with a vertical scroll bar. The width of the document area is a given; in order to determine the overall width of the window I need to add the width of the scroll bar. I use AdjustWindowRect() to account for the space needed by the title bar, menu bar, and borders, but I haven't been able to find an easy way to account for the scroll bar size. While working with Windows 98, I came up with the following formula: w = HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\ScrollWidth; dpi = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001\Disp...

How to disable?
I am using gnome-terminal. In that I doesn't want to update the logins when I open a new one. For example after opening a terminal, edit the current profile. In the titles and commands tab there is one option called update logins when command is launched. If I disable that my login in masked from the w and who command. What I need is instead of setting like this when I type gnome-terminal I doesn't want to update logins? Is there any options? ...

uhub0: device problem, disabling port n
Hey, I'm running OpenBSD 3.6, GENERIC, on a very old pc. I've attached a USB controller on PCI, which is being detected without any problems. See dmesg: #v+ .... ohci0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "Opti 82C861" rev 0x10: irq 11, version 1.0, legacy support usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0 uhub0: Otpti OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1 uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered rl0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: irq 11 address 00:50:.. .... #v- (See that both rhe rl0 and ohci0 irq == 11?) The problem is, whatever d...

Icon bar menus glitch
Hi Just recently - like today - I noticed a weirdness. Icon bar menus are misbehaving. Nothing at all from the Switcher or from Monitor, nor from Organiser. Recyclone too. Other apps are hit and miss. Is this a Select 3i2 bug, or is it just the new Toobox modules? TIA Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In message <ant0613080b09GWx@riscpc.local> Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Just recently - like today - I noticed a weirdness. Icon bar menus are > misbehaving. Nothing at all from...

Disabled mail function workaround?
Hi! I have been asked to add some functionality to an existing web site. The user would like to have a form that would email them the results of the form. Really easy stuff to do, usually. I tried to run the enhancements, and did not get the results I wanted, either with writing the results to a log file on the server, nor in sending the email. In doing further research, I see that the site is being hosted on a windows server, and that the php appears to have a bunch of functions disabled, when I run phpinfo. One of the many that are disabled is mail, so I'm kind of stuck. ...

Displaying records horizontally as well as vertically in a form
I need some guidance for a technique that will allow me to accomplish the following... I have a table in which each record contains a photograph. I would like to display in a form a thumbnail size version of each photograph horizontally across the form, then have the photgraphs "word wrap" (picture wrap ?) at the right end of the form onto the next "line" of photographs. Does anyone know how this can be done? Obviously, displaying one photograph per line should be relatively easy using Continuous mode. Also, I can envisage a "fixed" solution where the n...

a way to disable this feature,in wins 2000 pro services ?
Have problem trying to configure modem: On Toshiba laptop 4060XCDT When I try to configure it,it wants to dial out to Microsoft 800 number,for help configuring, then it refuses any other input I assume the former owner installed it that way(from Germany) But I cannot access those numbers from where I live,they are blocked (,offshore caribbean),is there a way to disable this feature,in wins 2000 pro services ? ...

Disabling shell expansion
Howdy -- I would like to be able to mail various syslog messages that contain all sorts of shell expansion characters ( \ ' " ` ) etc.. Right now I use: echo "$0" | mail -s "whatver " whoever@wherever.com if I use single quotes then other single quotes in the message end the echo, and things get screwed up. If I use double quotes it tries to expand math equations. Is there way to pass arguments to mail without doing ANY shell expansion? I'm not married to using echo, I'm just using it because thats what I've always used. For reference, here are...

Disabling bootparamd on Solaris 9
Hello all, We were going through one Security Checklist, and it said that the bootparamd service should be disabled. In Sol 9, this service isnot part of inetd.conf. Since we don't wan t diskless booting, we can disable the service. But we are not sure how to disable the service. I think there is some startup script in rc*.d dir. But I am not sure which one is it. Also it would be of great help, if someone can say how to disable the service Best REgards, Pradeep "pradeep" <xxx@xxx.com> writes: > Since we don't wan t diskless booting, we can disable the service. B...

Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar! ===== HTTP://steezeclothing.com
Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar! ===== HTTP://steezeclothing.com ==== Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33 UGG BOOT $50 Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35 Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35 Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16 Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30 Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $16 New era cap $15 Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25 FREE SHIPPING ...

KDE multihead disable
Hi, How does one stop KDE from grabbing all the screens in a multihead setup? I would like to restrict KDE to screen :0.0 (i.e make it behave as if there was only a single screen) and leave screen :0.1 available for other applications. There appears to be a KDE_MULTIHEAD env variable, but is it used at all? If yes, then where is it set and which parts of KDE will reference it? My setup: Mandrake 9.2, XFree86 3.4.0, KDE 3.1.3. Thanks John ---- L a c z i k @ e n g . o x . a c . u k ...

Disable Suexec for one domain/account
How do I go about disabling suexec for just one hosted account on a server? It's now on for all users. ...

Disable/Enable CD ROm drive in Windows 2000
I have several hundred computers (windows 2000) that have had their CD disabled by going into the device manager and right clicking disabled. DOes anybody know how to enable them programmatically. The user that will run the program will have admin rights. Thanks James James Holmes wrote: > I have several hundred computers (windows 2000) that have had their CD > disabled by going into the device manager and right clicking disabled. > DOes anybody know how to enable them programmatically. The user that > will run the program will have admin rights. I searched for ...

Resizing a scrolled pane with frames and adjusters
Hi Folks, I've a question about using a scrolled pane and the adjuster. The pane-widget contains a number of frames, every frame followed by an adjuster. By dragging the mouse button, the frames will be resized, but not the pane-widget. Is there any possibility to resize the pane in run-time if one of the frames will be resized by adjuster ? see the code: use strict; use Tk; use Tk::Pane; my $mw = MainWindow->new(); my $pane = $mw->Scrolled('Pane', -sticky => 'nsew', -scrollbars => ...

[OT?] Disabling pagefile: risks?
If I disable pagefile, do I risk only "out of memory" messages or similar? Or do I risk disk corruption, possibly future reinstallation of o.s., etc? Thank you! Hi, Which operating system are you using? How much memory does the system have? What is the size of the main hardDrive? Kellie. "Kellie Fitton" <KELLIEFITTON@YAHOO.COM> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1122050727.355407.257700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... Yeah, sorry :) > Which operating system are you using? Win XP Pro SP2 > How much memory does the system have?...

disable maximize
Hi all. I'm trying to disable the maximize functionality for a window. From what I understand I have to eliminate the _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ and _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT from the _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS Atom list. So I retrieve the list with XGetWindowProperty, erase the two Atoms, and then try to overwrite the _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS property with XChangeProperty. The problem is that XChangeProperty returns 1 (BadRequest), and the maximize button still works. Curiously enough, the list of allowed actions retrieved after XChangeProperty is the one that I set. W...

How can I disable the Junk filter entirely?...I would rather handle the spam manualy... Tia
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows on 18 Aug 2005 21:46:47 GMT Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> posted: ?? Meirman -- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary. On 18 Aug 2005 21:46:47 GMT, Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> wrotd: Just set the JUNK threshold to 100, that works fine. Nothing is ever JUNKed. I also use my own deSPAMmer... POPfile. ---<ribbit> Thanks, But that doesn't seem to work... It still sends mail to the junk mailbox, no matter what the number. I don&...