Email Script

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


I'm using the following script on my web site.  I have done this in
order to keep web spider programs from harvesting my email address.

I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.

Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------

<script language="javascript">

  <!--

  var contact = " Contact MySiteName"

  var email = "myname"

  var emailHost = "MySiteName.com"

  document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email + "@" +
emailHost+ ">" + contact + "</a>")

  //-->

</script>

0
Reply TomatoeMan 10/4/2004 8:59:56 PM

See related articles to this posting


In article <tde3m010ivbsatsvcb1gr5rofbqjtuteaf@4ax.com>, TomatoeMan 
says...
> I'm using the following script on my web site.  I have done this in
> order to keep web spider programs from harvesting my email address.
> 
> I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.
> 
> Does anyone know how I can do that?

Use a server-side form handler.  Trying it with mailto won't work.

-- 
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
0
Reply Hywel 10/4/2004 9:07:46 PM

On 4/10/04 9:59 pm, TomatoeMan wrote:

> I'm using the following script on my web site.  I have done this in
> order to keep web spider programs from harvesting my email address.
> 
> I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.
> 
> Does anyone know how I can do that?

Basically you need to form a link with an href that looks like this:

mailto:me@my.domain.com?subject=This%20is%20the%20subject
(Note: you have to use "%20" instead of spaces in the subject line)

But beware. There appear to be robots out there that can extract email
addresses from simple Javascripts like this. You would be better off using a
stronger form of scrambling. Here's one you could try:

<http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html>

Hope that helps.

Phil

-- 
Philip Ronan
phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net
(Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)


0
Reply Philip 10/4/2004 9:09:40 PM

JRS:  In article <BD877AA4.22E6F%phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net>, dated Mon, 4
Oct 2004 22:09:40, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Philip Ronan
<phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net> posted :
>On 4/10/04 9:59 pm, TomatoeMan wrote:
>
>> I'm using the following script on my web site.  I have done this in
>> order to keep web spider programs from harvesting my email address.
>> 
>> I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.
>> 
>> Does anyone know how I can do that?
>
>Basically you need to form a link with an href that looks like this:
>
>mailto:me@my.domain.com?subject=This%20is%20the%20subject
>(Note: you have to use "%20" instead of spaces in the subject line)

This question, too, should be a <FAQENTRY>, to point out that mailto:...
can only work on systems with an appropriately-configured browser-mailer
interface (and that not all of those can do Subject).

Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the
person who "owns" the browser.

Therefore, there should always be a means of giving the E-mail address
independently of mailto:.


One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it
demonstrably does work.

 
-- 
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   MIME � 
 Web <URL:http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html> -> Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.
 Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/news-use.htm> :  about usage of News.
No Encoding. Quotes before replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Don't Mail News.
0
Reply Dr 10/5/2004 2:01:35 PM

Dr John Stockton wrote:

<--snip-->

> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it
> demonstrably does work.

I don't recall reading very many posts where it was said that mailto: 
does not work, but I have read many many posts where it was said that it 
was unreliable, since it is unreliable in a web environment.

-- 
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
0
Reply Randy 10/5/2004 10:14:04 PM

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000701060601080408010807
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dr John Stockton wrote:

> JRS: In article <BD877AA4.22E6F%phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net>, dated Mon, 4
> Oct 2004 22:09:40, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Philip Ronan
> <phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net> posted :
>
>> On 4/10/04 9:59 pm, TomatoeMan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using the following script on my web site. I have done this in 
>>> order to keep web spider programs from harvesting my email address.
>>>
>>> I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I can do that?
>>
>> Basically you need to form a link with an href that looks like this:
>>
>> mailto:me@my.domain.com?subject=This%20is%20the%20subject
>> (Note: you have to use "%20" instead of spaces in the subject line)
>
> This question, too, should be a <FAQENTRY>, to point out that 
> mailto:... can only work on systems with an appropriately-configured 
> browser-mailer interface (and that not all of those can do Subject).

Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces fail 
at this task?

> Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the 
> person who "owns" the browser.

What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the person 
who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that person?!?

> Therefore, there should always be a means of giving the E-mail address 
> independently of mailto:.

I disagree.

> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it 
> demonstrably does work.

For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For any 
user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard compliant 
software, no?
-- 
There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full.

--------------000701060601080408010807
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
Dr John Stockton wrote:
<blockquote cite="midehtrEpI$kqYBFweg@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">JRS:
In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:BD877AA4.22E6F%phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net">&lt;BD877AA4.22E6F%phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net&gt;</a>, dated Mon, 4<br>
Oct 2004 22:09:40, seen in <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:comp.lang.javascript">news:comp.lang.javascript</a>, Philip Ronan<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net">&lt;phil.ronanzzz@virgin.net&gt;</a> posted :<br>
  <blockquote type="cite">On 4/10/04 9:59 pm, TomatoeMan wrote:<br>
    <blockquote type="cite">I'm using the following script on my web
site. I have done this in order to keep web spider programs from
harvesting my email address.<br>
      <br>
I want to have the "Subject" line filled in also.<br>
      <br>
Does anyone know how I can do that?<br>
    </blockquote>
Basically you need to form a link with an href that looks like this:<br>
    <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:me@my.domain.com?subject=This%20is%20the%20subject">mailto:me@my.domain.com?subject=This%20is%20the%20subject</a><br>
(Note: you have to use "%20" instead of spaces in the subject line)<br>
  </blockquote>
<!---->This question, too, should be a &lt;FAQENTRY&gt;, to point out
that mailto:... can only work on systems with an
appropriately-configured browser-mailer interface (and that not all of
those can do Subject).<br>
</blockquote>
Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces
fail at this task? <br>
<blockquote cite="midehtrEpI$kqYBFweg@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">Moreover,
the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the person who
"owns" the browser.<br>
</blockquote>
What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the
person who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that
person?!?<br>
<blockquote cite="midehtrEpI$kqYBFweg@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">Therefore,
there should always be a means of giving the E-mail address
independently of mailto:.<br>
</blockquote>
I disagree.<br>
<blockquote cite="midehtrEpI$kqYBFweg@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">One
should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it
demonstrably does work.<br>
</blockquote>
For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For any
user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard compliant
software, no?<br>
-- <br>
There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full.<br>
</body>
</html>

--------------000701060601080408010807--
0
Reply Andrew 10/6/2004 12:37:19 AM

JRS:  In article <ycOdndSwb-Q-gf7cRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, dated Tue, 5 Oct
2004 18:14:04, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Randy Webb
<HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> posted :
>Dr John Stockton wrote:
>
><--snip-->
>
>> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it
>> demonstrably does work.
>
>I don't recall reading very many posts where it was said that mailto: 
>does not work,

I recall seeing enough to justify the warning.

> but I have read many many posts where it was said that it 
>was unreliable, since it is unreliable in a web environment.

Agreed.
 
-- 
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   MIME. �
 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
 some Astro stuff via astro.htm, gravity0.htm; quotes.htm; pascal.htm; &c, &c.
 No Encoding. Quotes before replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Don't Mail News.
0
Reply Dr 10/6/2004 1:40:05 PM

JRS:  In article <22251$41633db1$c09cfcf$19738@msgid.meganewsservers.com
>, dated Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:37:19, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com> posted :

Don't post HTML or multipart - see FAQ 2.3.

>    Dr John Stockton wrote: 

>>       This question, too, should be a <FAQENTRY>, to point out that 
>>       mailto:... can only work on systems with an 
>>       appropriately-configured browser-mailer interface (and that not 
>>       all of those can do Subject).
>    Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces 
>    fail at this task? 

Any where the browser and mailer have not been configured to interact,
or whose interaction has been de-configured.  I do not want my browser
to interact with my mail system, except by a trusted mechanism, which
means one independent of MS.  My browser does not know my E-mail
address; my mail/news system is from a different, trusted supplier who
is reliably security-conscious; therefore I allow mailto: to start, but
of course not send, E-mail.

>>       Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily 
>>       the person who "owns" the browser.
>    What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the 
>    person who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that 
>    person?!?

Who knows? it is the person holding the mouse.  The computer may belong
to someone else entirely; a family member, a friend, the Public Library,
the school.  It does not necessarily know the E-mail address of the
putative sender; its owner is not necessarily willing to provide mail-
sending to the current user.  And the current user may want to send mail
to the web page owner, but not from his current location.

>>       Therefore, there should always be a means of giving the E-mail 
>>       address independently of mailto:.
>    I disagree.

You have not successfully applied adequate thought and understanding to
the matter.

>>       One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, 
>>       it demonstrably does work.
>    For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For 
>    any user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard 
>    compliant software, no?

Yhnsaatauttm.
 
-- 
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   IE 4 �
 <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>  JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript 
 <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
 <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
0
Reply Dr 10/6/2004 1:52:03 PM

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Dr John Stockton wrote:

<--snip-->

>> This question, too, should be a <FAQENTRY>, to point out that 
>> mailto:... can only work on systems with an appropriately-configured 
>> browser-mailer interface (and that not all of those can do Subject).
> 
> 
> Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces fail 
> at this task?

See my other reply to you.

>> Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the 
>> person who "owns" the browser.
> 
> What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the person 
> who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that person?!?

You are confusing the user with the "owner" of the browser. Go in an 
Internet Cafe, click a mailto:, who owns the computer/browser?

>> Therefore, there should always be a means of giving the E-mail address 
>> independently of mailto:.
> 
> 
> I disagree.
> 
>> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it 
>> demonstrably does work.
> 
> For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For any 
> user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard compliant 
> software, no?

Can you quote that "standard"?

And, can you give a list of "standard compliant software"? I have 7 
browsers, mailto: does not work in a single one. Which one isnt 
standards compliant?

-- 
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
0
Reply Randy 10/6/2004 5:14:23 PM

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040803090309050005020101
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dr John Stockton wrote:

> JRS: In article <22251$41633db1$c09cfcf$19738@msgid.meganewsservers.com
>
>> , dated Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:37:19, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
>
> Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com> posted :
>
> Don't post HTML or multipart - see FAQ 2.3.

Ah, no. End of discussion.

>> Dr John Stockton wrote:
>
>
>>> This question, too, should be a <FAQENTRY>, to point out that
>>> mailto:... can only work on systems with an
>>> appropriately-configured browser-mailer interface (and that not
>>> all of those can do Subject).
>>
>> Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces
>> fail at this task?
>
> Any where the browser and mailer have not been configured to interact, 
> or whose interaction has been de-configured. 

Every email client I've seen comes configured to handle mailto links.

> I do not want my browser to interact with my mail system, except by a 
> trusted mechanism, which means one independent of MS. 

Then get one that is independent of MS. Try Thunderbird. Switch to 
Linux. Otherwise you are explicitly saying you don't want mailto links 
to work. Fine. Then they won't for you.

> My browser does not know my E-mail address; 

So?

> my mail/news system is from a different, trusted supplier who is 
> reliably security-conscious; therefore I allow mailto: to start, but 
> of course not send, E-mail.

That's all a mailto link does anyway!

>>> Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the 
>>> person who "owns" the browser.
>>
>> What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the 
>> person who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that 
>> person?!?
>
> Who knows? it is the person holding the mouse. The computer may belong 
> to someone else entirely; a family member, a friend, the Public 
> Library, the school. It does not necessarily know the E-mail address 
> of the putative sender; its owner is not necessarily willing to 
> provide mail-sending to the current user. And the current user may 
> want to send mail to the web page owner, but not from his current 
> location.

Then mailto functionality is not for you I guess. But it's better than 
form based email by far IMHO.

>>> Therefore, there should always be a means of giving the E-mail 
>>> address independently of mailto:.
>>
>> I disagree.
>
> You have not successfully applied adequate thought and understanding 
> to the matter.

Funny I was gonna say the same thing about you!

>>> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users,
>>> it demonstrably does work.
>>
>> For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For
>> any user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard
>> compliant software, no?
>
> Yhnsaatauttm.

Whatever dude...
-- 
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

--------------040803090309050005020101
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
Dr John Stockton wrote:
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">JRS:
In article &lt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:22251$41633db1$c09cfcf$19738@msgid.meganewsservers.com">22251$41633db1$c09cfcf$19738@msgid.meganewsservers.com</a><br>
  <blockquote type="cite">, dated Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:37:19, seen in
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:comp.lang.javascript">news:comp.lang.javascript</a>,<br>
  </blockquote>
<!---->Andrew DeFaria <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com">&lt;Andrew@DeFaria.com&gt;</a> posted :<br>
  <br>
Don't post HTML or multipart - see FAQ 2.3.<br>
</blockquote>
Ah, no. End of discussion.<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">
  <blockquote type="cite"> Dr John Stockton wrote: <br>
  </blockquote>
<!----><br>
  <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite"> This question, too, should be a
&lt;FAQENTRY&gt;, to point out that <br>
mailto:... can only work on systems with an <br>
appropriately-configured browser-mailer interface (and that not <br>
all of those can do Subject).<br>
    </blockquote>
Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces <br>
fail at this task? <br>
  </blockquote>
Any where the browser and mailer have not been configured to interact,
or whose interaction has been de-configured. </blockquote>
Every email client I've seen comes configured to handle mailto links.<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">I
do not want my browser to interact with my mail system, except by a
trusted mechanism, which means one independent of MS. </blockquote>
Then get one that is independent of MS. Try Thunderbird. Switch to
Linux. Otherwise you are explicitly saying you don't want mailto links
to work. Fine. Then they won't for you.<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">My
browser does not know my E-mail address; </blockquote>
So?<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">my
mail/news system is from a different, trusted supplier who is reliably
security-conscious; therefore I allow mailto: to start, but of course
not send, E-mail.<br>
</blockquote>
That's all a mailto link does anyway!<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">
  <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite"> Moreover, the person who wants to send
mail is not necessarily the person who "owns" the browser.<br>
    </blockquote>
What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the
person who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that
person?!?<br>
  </blockquote>
<!---->Who knows? it is the person holding the mouse. The computer may
belong to someone else entirely; a family member, a friend, the Public
Library, the school. It does not necessarily know the E-mail address of
the putative sender; its owner is not necessarily willing to provide
mail-sending to the current user. And the current user may want to send
mail to the web page owner, but not from his current location.<br>
</blockquote>
Then mailto functionality is not for you I guess. But it's better than
form based email by far IMHO.<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">
  <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite"> Therefore, there should always be a means
of giving the E-mail address independently of mailto:.<br>
    </blockquote>
I disagree.<br>
  </blockquote>
<!---->You have not successfully applied adequate thought and
understanding to the matter.<br>
</blockquote>
Funny I was gonna say the same thing about you!<br>
<blockquote cite="midI0C+xqJDi$YBFwMM@merlyn.demon.co.uk" type="cite">
  <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite"> One should never say that mailto: does not
work; for many users, <br>
it demonstrably does work.<br>
    </blockquote>
For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For <br>
any user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard <br>
compliant software, no?<br>
  </blockquote>
Yhnsaatauttm.<br>
</blockquote>
Whatever dude...<br>
-- <br>
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?<br>
</body>
</html>

--------------040803090309050005020101--
0
Reply Andrew 10/6/2004 9:45:55 PM

Randy Webb wrote:

>> Really? Again I implore, which lame brain browser-mailer interfaces 
>> fail at this task?
>
> See my other reply to you.

Yeah and see my reply to you. Works great for me.

>>> Moreover, the person who wants to send mail is not necessarily the 
>>> person who "owns" the browser.
>>
>> What does that mean? Is not the person who wants to send mail the 
>> person who just clicked the mailto link? If not then who is that 
>> person?!?
>
> You are confusing the user with the "owner" of the browser. Go in an 
> Internet Cafe, click a mailto:, who owns the computer/browser?

I'd believe the owner would be the Internet Cafe owner, no? I would 
suspect that the email client would pop up, probably incorrectly 
configured. Configure it!

>>> One should never say that mailto: does not work; for many users, it 
>>> demonstrably does work.
>>
>> For all users it should work as it is part of the standard, no? For 
>> any user which it doesn't work then they are using non-standard 
>> compliant software, no?
>
> Can you quote that "standard"?

Sure: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html

> And, can you give a list of "standard compliant software"?

The list would include all software that comply with the standard in 
question.

> I have 7 browsers, mailto: does not work in a single one. Which one 
> isnt standards compliant?

Again, sorry it doesn't work in any of your browsers. I use some of the 
same browsers and they all work just fine for me. I guess the real 
question is why isn't it working for you? I guess I'll ask the standard 
question that I do of all people who fail to give details about their 
problem: What was the first indication that you had that it failed? ;-)
-- 
A mainframe: The biggest PC peripheral available.
0
Reply Andrew 10/6/2004 9:55:29 PM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:55:29 -0700, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com>  
wrote:

> Randy Webb wrote:

[snip]

>> You are confusing the user with the "owner" of the browser. Go in an  
>> Internet Cafe, click a mailto:, who owns the computer/browser?
>
> I'd believe the owner would be the Internet Cafe owner, no? I would  
> suspect that the email client would pop up, probably incorrectly  
> configured. Configure it!

And how do you propose that that is done? Create an account for every  
single person that uses the service? Not likely.

Either you are unable to understand the intrinsic unreliability of the  
mailto: protocol, or you are simply unwilling. Either way, stop wasting  
our time. Do you have nothing better to do than troll this group?

[snip]

>> Can you quote that "standard"?
>
> Sure: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html

That's an RFC, not a standard. If you actually did as instructed and read  
STD 1 (currently RFC 3700, I believe), you would see that RFC 2368 is  
nothing more than a proposed standard; the first stage of standardisation.  
The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) do not recommend that  
proposed standards are implemented as they may change before reaching  
maturity.

To me, it suggests something quite significant when a Standards Track RFC  
has remained at the proposal stage for over six years.

[snip]

Mike

-- 
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
0
Reply Michael 10/7/2004 9:22:26 AM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:45:55 -0700, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com>  
wrote:

> Dr John Stockton wrote:

[snip]

>> Don't post HTML or multipart - see FAQ 2.3.
>
> Ah, no. End of discussion.

Umm, yes. This is a text-only newsgroup.

[snip]

Mike

-- 
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
0
Reply Michael 10/7/2004 9:26:42 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:26:42 GMT, Michael Winter wrote:

> Umm, yes. This is a text-only newsgroup.

Heck yes.  My ISP's news server does it for me 
(strips attachments), automatically and for free.   :-)

-- 
Andrew Thompson
http://www.PhySci.org/codes/  Web & IT Help
http://www.PhySci.org/  Open-source software suite
http://www.1point1C.org/  Science & Technology
http://www.lensescapes.com/  Images that escape the mundane
0
Reply Andrew 10/7/2004 10:03:45 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:03:45 GMT, Andrew Thompson <SeeMySites@www.invalid>  
wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:26:42 GMT, Michael Winter wrote:
>
>> Umm, yes. This is a text-only newsgroup.
>
> Heck yes.  My ISP's news server does it for me
> (strips attachments), automatically and for free.   :-)

My ISP provides two News servers - one is for binaries, the other is for  
text. Guess which one I use.

Mike

-- 
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
0
Reply Michael 10/7/2004 10:28:39 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:28:39 GMT, Michael Winter wrote:

> My ISP provides two News servers - one is for binaries, the other is for  
> text. Guess which one I use.

Do I get a  ( attach \ \ ments )  T-shirt if I get it right?

...that above is intended to be one of those 'red circle
with a diagonal line crossing out word' thingy symbols, 
...what is it?  Oh, yeah ..NOT.

Or mebe that should be a plain ol' ( detachments )         ;-)
0
Reply Andrew 10/7/2004 12:30:27 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:30:27 GMT, Andrew Thompson <SeeMySites@www.invalid>  
wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:28:39 GMT, Michael Winter wrote:
>
>> My ISP provides two News servers - one is for binaries, the other is  
>> for text. Guess which one I use.
>
> Do I get a  ( attach \ \ ments )  T-shirt if I get it right?

Hehe  :P

[snip]

Mike

-- 
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
0
Reply Michael 10/7/2004 1:47:00 PM

Michael Winter wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:55:29 -0700, Andrew DeFaria 
> <Andrew@DeFaria.com>  wrote:
>
>> Randy Webb wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> You are confusing the user with the "owner" of the browser. Go in 
>>> an  Internet Cafe, click a mailto:, who owns the computer/browser?
>>
>>
>> I'd believe the owner would be the Internet Cafe owner, no? I would  
>> suspect that the email client would pop up, probably incorrectly  
>> configured. Configure it!
>
> And how do you propose that that is done? Create an account for every  
> single person that uses the service? Not likely.

Did I suggest that the internet cafe owner configure it? No. I was at an 
internet cafe once in a foreign land. You're right, it came up not 
configured for me (I didn't necessarily click a mailto link though). 
What did I do? (Horrors). I configured it for myself and sent my email. 
No big deal!

> Either you are unable to understand the intrinsic unreliability of 
> the  mailto: protocol, or you are simply unwilling. Either way, stop 
> wasting  our time. Do you have nothing better to do than troll this 
> group?

I'm not trolling - I'm simply expressing my opinion on this - just like 
you. Sorry you seem to have so much of a problem with that!

>>> Can you quote that "standard"?
>>
>> Sure: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html
>
> That's an RFC, not a standard. If you actually did as instructed and 
> read  STD 1 (currently RFC 3700, I believe), you would see that RFC 
> 2368 is  nothing more than a proposed standard; the first stage of 
> standardisation.  The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) do 
> not recommend that  proposed standards are implemented as they may 
> change before reaching  maturity.

There are many RFC's that do not reach maturity and yet are referred to 
as standards. The good thing about standards are that there are so many 
to choose from!
-- 
Some people say "life is short". What?? Life is the longest damn thing 
anyone ever does!! What can you do that's longer?
0
Reply Andrew 10/7/2004 4:13:59 PM

Michael Winter wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:45:55 -0700, Andrew DeFaria 
> <Andrew@DeFaria.com>  wrote:
>
>> Dr John Stockton wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Don't post HTML or multipart - see FAQ 2.3.
>>
>> Ah, no. End of discussion.
>
> Umm, yes. This is a text-only newsgroup.

Ah, no. Like I said - end of discussion. If you wish to discuss this 
issue then you can discuss it amongst yourselves. I have no interest in 
debating this with you
-- 
I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.
0
Reply Andrew 10/7/2004 4:15:57 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:13:59 -0700, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com>  
wrote:

[snip]

> Did I suggest that the internet cafe owner configure it? No. I was at an  
> internet cafe once in a foreign land. You're right, it came up not  
> configured for me (I didn't necessarily click a mailto link though).  
> What did I do? (Horrors). I configured it for myself and sent my email.  
> No big deal!

And if customers in other places aren't given permission to do that? This  
isn't about what you can do. This is about the reliability of a protocol  
that obviously fails in some situations where it is beyond the user's  
ability to correct.

[MW:]
>> Either you are unable to understand the intrinsic unreliability of the  
>> mailto: protocol, or you are simply unwilling. Either way, stop wasting  
>> our time. Do you have nothing better to do than troll this group?
>
> I'm not trolling - I'm simply expressing my opinion on this - just like  
> you. Sorry you seem to have so much of a problem with that!

The problem that I have is that you're missing the point, seemingly on  
purpose. The argument as presented is that mailto: is not reliable on all  
configurations. Therefore, as the only form of feedback on websites, or  
other similar uses, it is not appropriate.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that form mail should only ever be  
used in such situations, that is a mailto: link can be provided, but as  
form mail is more reliable it should be the first choice. As free public  
services are provided, there is no reason why this cannot be the case.

At one point in a different thread, you seemed to be under the impression  
that we're talking about an e-mail conversation, in which form mail is  
obviously unsuitable. However, no-one else is approaching it from that  
position. It is this deviation from what seems a straight-forward subject  
that I object to.

[snip]

Mike

-- 
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
0
Reply Michael 10/7/2004 5:18:03 PM

Michael Winter wrote:

>> Did I suggest that the internet cafe owner configure it? No. I was at 
>> an  internet cafe once in a foreign land. You're right, it came up 
>> not  configured for me (I didn't necessarily click a mailto link 
>> though).  What did I do? (Horrors). I configured it for myself and 
>> sent my email.  No big deal!
>
> And if customers in other places aren't given permission to do that? 

Find a better Internet Cafe! ;-)

> The problem that I have is that you're missing the point, seemingly 
> on  purpose. The argument as presented is that mailto: is not reliable 
> on all  configurations. Therefore, as the only form of feedback on 
> websites, or  other similar uses, it is not appropriate.
>
> I don't think that anyone is suggesting that form mail should only 
> ever be  used in such situations, that is a mailto: link can be 
> provided, but as  form mail is more reliable it should be the first 
> choice. As free public  services are provided, there is no reason why 
> this cannot be the case.

I'd be happy if there were always an mailto link as an alternative. 
Companies hide behind email forms, force fitting you into little 
categories and additional hassles when the purpose of your communication 
quite simply just does not fit the form. Often they never respond to 
your email anyway (and regardless if mailto is more or less reliable 
than web form based email, communication is a two way street and if they 
don't respond then even web based form email is as "reliable" as a mis 
configured client and a mailto tag!) Additionally form mail is extremely 
limited and often cumbersome to use. And it's not like I have not had 
many times when form mail simple does not work - anything from server 
errors to browser errors to whatever.

> At one point in a different thread, you seemed to be under the 
> impression  that we're talking about an e-mail conversation, in which 
> form mail is  obviously unsuitable. However, no-one else is 
> approaching it from that  position. It is this deviation from what 
> seems a straight-forward subject  that I object to.

I've only ever said that mailto links were good for email conversations! 
Obviously mailto links are not designed to be used in web form data 
gathering application.

-- 
5 days a week my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.
0
Reply Andrew 10/7/2004 10:15:35 PM
comp.lang.javascript 37850 articles. 16 followers. Post

20 Replies
234 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Email server timing out in email script
I have a perl script running on machine A, a web server. A visitor completes certain pieces of data and these are compiled into two emails, one addressed to the visitor and copied to the site owner, the other addressed to the webmaster and including cookie and timing data for debugging. The email is sent by machine B which is the email server for the domain. Here are some config values for the perl script, names have been changed to protect the innocent. my $smtp_server = "pennyblack"; my $smtp_domain = "fred.fred.fred.fred"; my $MailFrom = "domain\@fred.fred.f...

perl script sendmail sending user an email but not me an email
This is a contact us script.. Supposed to send us an email after user fills out the html form. It is supposed to send us an email and It is supposed to send them (the user) an email letting them know we got their message, but it only sends them an email, it doesnt send us one. This script I have ran before on a different host company a few years ago and it worked fine. Now I have yahoo webhosting and I can't get it to function correctly. The perl script runs and executes everything fine really but the problem is I can't receive email even though in the script it is supposed to send...

email script
I like how you can link FileMaker to your email program--clicking on the email address will take you to, for example, outlook and address a blank email. But is there any way to turn off the feature that will lock Outlook and FileMaker until you save or send the email? It seems like the script is still running and it won't end (and take you back to filemaker) until one of these is done. Thanks David Averbach UC Berkeley You may be better served with the following plugin: https://www.productive.cc/pci_cart/FMPro?-DB=PCSC_Products.FP5&-Format=catalog.htm&-Lay=CGI&ID_No=40&am...

email script
Hi, I have been using the below script to attach text files to a email and send the email to whoever. But, I'd like to change the file Type to attach a Excel file instead of a text file. What type of changes would I need to make? Thanks, Shawn #!/usr/local/bin/perl5.6 use lib "lib"; use MIME::Lite; $msg = new MIME::Lite From => "$ARGV[0]", To => "$ARGV[1]", Subject => "$ARGV[2]", Type => 'TEXT', Path => "$ARGV[3]", Encoding => '7bit'; attach $msg T...

Email Validator Script not allowing email addresses with '.' before @
Hi, I'm not a Java programmer but have this web page with a form form that includes a field to input an email address. My problem is that the validator won't allow addresses that include a '.' before the @ sign to be entered (such as john.doe@doman.com) It seems like (3>intIsDOT-intIsAT) || (4>intLengthA-intIsDOT)){ may be causing the problem. Anyone have an idea that will allow me to screen out invalid addresses but still allow a . before the @? I would like to continue using the same script, only modified to allow the '.' if possible. Here's the porti...

send over thousand email, how to make php script as not email spam?
In site http://www.email-manager-pro.com have release a product call: Email Manager Pro 3.0 It's greate software. I want to make a same script in PHP for send mail to my customer. Over 15.000 email in the list. How to pause 2 sec after sending 100 messages as this site? and continue sending email until send message in all emails??? What's idea? do you have exist script? Please give me a solution? thehetre wrote: > In site http://www.email-manager-pro.com have release a product call: > Email Manager Pro 3.0 > It's greate software. > > I want to make a same scrip...

First Class eMail program
Does anyone know of any incompatibility issues of First Class eMail and Filemaker Pro email script in either the WIN or Mac versions? -- Al Lawrance In article <Ip%sj.39097$Ly.22986@pd7urf1no>, "Al Lawrance" <ajlawrance@shaw.ca> wrote: > Does anyone know of any incompatibility issues of First Class eMail and > Filemaker Pro email script in either the WIN or Mac versions? I don't know of any particular problems, but all email applications react differently to the FileMaker's Script command "Send Mail". Some actually send the email, some wi...

how can I configure my email server to execute php script when an email is received to a particular address.
Anyone can direct me to good links or have more details n how to achieve that? The google search I did on that did not give me very good links. Thanks all. McKaulick On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:28:48 +0100, patrice.fiset@gmail.com = <patrice.fiset@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyone can direct me to good links or have more details n how to > achieve that? The google search I did on that did not give me very > good links. In most email servers you can easily pipe to a script ( | php = /path/to/your/script). How this is done, depends on the email server. For a few examples, see = &...

procmail script that reads subject and body and sends a email to email address in the subject line
I need a procmail script that will read the subject line and body. It will pass the email address that is in the subject line and use that as the email address to send a email with a attachment. It should also read the body of the email and pass it to the script and use it as the body. What I'm trying to do is use my cell phone to send a email to my shell account. so all I have to do is put a email address in the subject line and put some info in the body and have it send a email with a attachment out. On comp.mail.mutt, in <1146514228.934087.62950@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.co...

Sendmail Exception reached when thousands emails sent in bulk mail script. Has sendmail a email-sent limit for a given process?
Hello, I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 Thanks in advance! enicolas.riquelme@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 > > Thanks in advance! > It would be more convenient for (future) readers of (an archive of) this newsg...

Re: Email Script
Here's an example of what you would want to output: <a HREF="mailto:foo@bar.com?subject=test%20subject">e-mail me</a> Notice how the subject follows the question mark, and is escaped. Jc said: > >Here's an example of what you would want to output: > ><a HREF="mailto:foo@bar.com?subject=test%20subject">e-mail me</a> >Notice how the subject follows the question mark, and is escaped. If the fact that "mailto" doesn't work for lots of people (regardless of what browser they use) bothers you, then you should use a ...

running a script through emailing
I wanted to know about some way that will enable me to run a script by sending an email to the unix system (maybe admin). Help appreciated. Thanks -- Zia "Zia Mulla" <zmulla@cisco.com> writes: > I wanted to know about some way that will enable me to run a script by > sending an email to the unix system (maybe admin). Check the manual for your MTA, it usually has some way of aliasing an address to a program. -- M�ns Rullg�rd mru@inprovide.com Zia Mulla wrote: > I wanted to know about some way that will enable me to run a script by > sending an email to the ...

Securing an Email script
I've changed our web site to use a simple PHP script to send a demo request to our sales office. We use Postfix and everything is set up properly and works fine. I've been informed there are some security issues to review. The script looks like: <html> <head><title>PHP Mail Sender</title></head> <body> <?php /* Pre-defined script variables. */ /* $eol = "\r\n"; */ $eol = "\n"; $mailto = 'sales@mydomain.com'; $mailfrom = 'webserver@mydomain.com'; $subject = 'Company Demo Req...

Email Filtering Script
Hi All, I run my own mailserver, which is running Postfix. I currently have a few things coded into my config file to take advantage of many of the blacklists. However, recently I've been receiving spoofed messaged numbering in the 50's or 60's in one day. I want to code a script that will reject email addresses if their IP is in a list I create. I know that a .forward file can execute a script, but how do I program it such that it throws away the email if it matches an IP on my list? Thanks! amerar@iwc.net wrote: > Hi All, > > I run my own mailserver, which is r...

Email script on a MAC
Hi Folks, Problem: Email script does not work on a MAC running FM 6. What email applications (Outlook Express? Outlook? Eudora? etc) are supported by FM to have the mail application invoked when the email script is called on a MAC? Secondly, if the person has an email application that works but is not being launched when the email script is called ... what other changes must be made in the MAC system to get it to work? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. Regards, -- Al Lawrance British Columbia CANADA -------------------------------------- ajlawrance@shaw.ca http://www.membe...

pipe email to script
Hi All, I'm trying to pipe emails to a php script, but am not having much luck - I'm not even sure the PHP is being run. A bit of background - I have a web hosting account with cpanel (but no shell script) access. My web host uses Exim to process mails I've kept things simple to start with. The PHP script I've setup to run (when email is received) simply sends me an email saying "script run". I've put this in /home/username/public_html/processmail.php and given it execute permissions. I've created a .forward file with the following; email@email.com,|/u...

simple email script
I am a new Filemake Pro6 user. Can someone please send me s simple email script? I want to email quotes. I use Outlook Express. I am so grateful for all the help I receive for you all out there. Thanks Dee Well, it depends on exactly what you're looking for. You can write a simple emai lscript with no more than one step: Send Mail[] But I'm guessing you'd like something more complex than that. Please enlighten us. Diana Doiron wrote: > I am a new Filemake Pro6 user. Can someone please send me s simple email > script? I want to email quotes. I use Outlook Express....

script to bounce emails
Hi I have a situation where I want to transfer emails to my gmail account, keeping header information intact. I don't want to tar the whole mbox up and send that along, because then I can't properly use gmail's indexing capability. My solution is to bounce all the emails, one-by-one, to the new account. How can I "bounce" emails programmatically? I know pine can be fed a sequence of commands, but I don't think that it would be easyi to feed it the destination address. One other option is to write a shell script to interact with sendmail. What headers do I have ...

Personalized Email Script
I'm posting in desperation and hopes that someone has a script that will achieve these objectives: 1. Web interface using forms collects Name, Address, Email Address. 2. Web interface sends this info to a PHP script. 3. PHP script has pre-entered text. 4. Name, Address, and Email Address are appended to the END of the outgoing email message. 5. The outgoing email address shows the "From" as the Email Address. 6. THE PROBLEM: The PHP script has 55 pre-entered email addresses. The script sends the email individually to each of the 55 people pre-entered such that the To: line conta...

test email script
Like to send an email to a test account on a linux server, I'd like that account to reply with the message, Mail works, this email has been deleted. I thought of using .forward & vacation combined, but it screwed with my head..... any ideas, simplicity would be great. thanks ahead of time dmc david wrote: > Like to send an email to a test account on a linux server, > I'd like that account to reply with the message, > I thought of using .forward & vacation combined, but it screwed with my > head..... > any ideas, simplicity would be great. Well. How...

Email to a Tcl script
Has anyone written a Tcl script that acts as a program to be mailed to? I.E. when an email is received by the server it is routed to the standard input of the script, the script can be perform some task and sends a reply back to the sender. (It's a security risk, but we can ignore it here) /Why Tea Why Tea schrieb: > Has anyone written a Tcl script that acts as a program to be mailed > to? I.E. when an email is received by the server it is routed to the > standard input of the script, the script can be perform some task and > sends a reply back to the sender. (It's a sec...

CGI email script
Hi! I recently started playing with Python CGI, and I was happy that my basic input-name--print-hello-name CGI form example worked, so I thought I should advance to somew\hat more complicated scripts. I'm trying to write a basic Python email CGI script to send email through HTML email form. I've seen a lot of examples out there, but nothing I tried so far seemed to work. So I would like to know what I am doing wrong. Here's the HTML form file: <html> <head> <title>Email Form</title> </head> <body> <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION=&...

Database/Email Script
I am no PHP programmer. At my current job I made it known that I was no PHP programmer during the interview. Still they have given me a script to write with the understanding that it will take me a while (This information is just for general knowledge as I don't want anyone thinking I am trying to be dishonest with my intentions. Also, I do not portray myself as something I am not. I am a beginner.) Anyway, what the script needs to do is to take variables passed from an HTML form and do two things. One is read it into a database. The other is to send me an email with all of the customer&#...

Count of Emails- Script
Hi, I am very new to scripting.Can anyone please help me with modifying a script to count emails? Main Mail Path : /var/spool/imap User Mail Path : /var/spool/imap/a/user /var/spool/imap/b/user /var/spool/imap/c /user so on and so forth till user "z" Objective : To count the number of emails in the all the users' Inbox and the Trash directories. I tried the following script ======================================== for UserDir in $(find /var/spool/imap -type d -maxdepth 2 -mindepth 2) do echo ${UserDir} for Folder in .trash .inbox do Count=$(find ${UserDir}/${Folder} -ty...