Flash vs. HTML 5

Hello,
I would like some advice on whether I should learn Flash at this point or n=
ot, i.e. whether HTML 5 will obsolete it or not. I already have *some* know=
ledge about Flash, but seriously getting into it will obviously be an inves=
tment of my time, and I want to know whether it'll be worth it. From what I=
 know about HTML 5, it IS possible to do a lot of what Flash does, but I do=
n't see, for example, how greetings cards could be made in it - i.e. a crea=
tor would HAVE to have a "Creator Tool", in which stuff can be drawn, audio=
 added, etc. , if the only way to achieve that in HTML 5 is to *program* ev=
erything, then that will never make people switch to it, i.e. creators of c=
ool multimedia will never be able to get to grips with such a geeky entity.=
 I *do* know that it is possible for example, to create stuff in say, Illus=
trator, and have it output stuff which can be put into a <canvas>, but I'd =
like to know how far that kind of thing has gone - in short, will HTML 5 re=
place Flash altogether? What does everyone here think?

Thanks.
0
bit

bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:

> […] What does everyone here think?

I think that your posting is unreadable and that you may be trolling.

--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.de/faq> | SVN: <http://PointedEars.de/wsvn/>
Twitter: @PointedEars2 | ES Matrix: <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix>
Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
0
Thomas
3/9/2014 4:17:32 PM
Since some audiences don't use flash (or don't like it), I think I would do=
 HTML5. However there are things that flash does better than HTML. For exam=
ple large javascript applications often takes longer to develop than flash =
due to cross-browser issues. Flash is an overall "package" that lets you de=
sign and develop pretty fast, integrated with the other programs adobe has.=
 I also think flash is better for doing cartoon movies if you're into that.=
 Development programs are available for the more design oriented HTML5 deve=
loper, but I haven't tried them.

kl. 16:01:44 UTC+1 s=F8ndag 9. mars 2014 skrev bit-n...@hotmail.com f=F8lge=
nde:
> Hello,
>=20
> I would like some advice on whether I should learn Flash at this point or=
 not, i.e. whether HTML 5 will obsolete it or not. I already have *some* kn=
owledge about Flash, but seriously getting into it will obviously be an inv=
estment of my time, and I want to know whether it'll be worth it. From what=
 I know about HTML 5, it IS possible to do a lot of what Flash does, but I =
don't see, for example, how greetings cards could be made in it - i.e. a cr=
eator would HAVE to have a "Creator Tool", in which stuff can be drawn, aud=
io added, etc. , if the only way to achieve that in HTML 5 is to *program* =
everything, then that will never make people switch to it, i.e. creators of=
 cool multimedia will never be able to get to grips with such a geeky entit=
y. I *do* know that it is possible for example, to create stuff in say, Ill=
ustrator, and have it output stuff which can be put into a <canvas>, but I'=
d like to know how far that kind of thing has gone - in short, will HTML 5 =
replace Flash altogether? What does everyone here think?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks.
0
Peter
3/9/2014 6:40:17 PM
On 3/9/2014 11:01 AM, bit-naughty@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like some advice on whether I should learn Flash at this point or not, i.e. whether HTML 5 will obsolete it or not.

You can do things in Flash that can't realistically be done otherwise.
But for most uses of Flash, HTML5 is simpler, and supported across
modern devices and UAs.

What has kept Flash alive in my work, is the fairly large base of old IE
browsers that don't understand HTML5.

I wouldn't bother to learn more, if my time was limited.

I'll leave it to someone else to set any f'ups, this is not a javascript
topic.

Jeff

  I already have *some* knowledge about Flash, but seriously getting
into it will obviously be an investment of my time, and I want to know
whether it'll be worth it. From what I know about HTML 5, it IS possible
to do a lot of what Flash does, but I don't see, for example, how
greetings cards could be made in it - i.e. a creator would HAVE to have
a "Creator Tool", in which stuff can be drawn, audio added, etc. , if
the only way to achieve that in HTML 5 is to *program* everything, then
that will never make people switch to it, i.e. creators of cool
multimedia will never be able to get to grips with such a geeky entity.
I *do* know that it is possible for example, to create stuff in say,
Illustrator, and have it output stuff which can be put into a <canvas>,
but I'd like to know how far that kind of thing has gone - in short,
will HTML 5 replace Flash altogether? What does everyone here think?

> Thanks.

0
Jeff