id="watchcomp.lang.javascript@62fc29b86239eb3c"> Huh?

When an achor tag is defined like this - what might be going on?

Why would someone assign the id a value associated with a JavaScript
method? Or is something else going on?

This comes from a Google Groups web page.

<a class=st
id="watchcomp.lang.javascript@62fc29b86239eb3c">something</a>

Thanks.

0
gimme_this_gimme_tha
4/20/2008 6:00:29 PM
comp.lang.javascript 38370 articles. 0 followers. javascript4 (1315) is leader. Post Follow

gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote:
> When an achor tag is defined like this - what might be going on?

There is no such thing like "an anchor tag".  The code below is an (X)HTML
anchor (an [X]HTML `a' element without defined `href' attribute value but
with defined `name' or `id' attribute value), period.

> Why would someone assign the id a value associated with a JavaScript
> method?

Unknown.

> Or is something else going on?

Yes.

> This comes from a Google Groups web page.

Incidentally, at least client-side Google code is strongly recommended
against as positive Web development reference base around here.

> <a class=st
> id="watchcomp.lang.javascript@62fc29b86239eb3c">something</a>

So there is an *invalid* `id' attribute value (the character `@' is not
allowed in there[1]) that contains the name of this newsgroup, which
contains the string "javascript".  I wonder how you came to the conclusion
this would have anything to do with scripting.  It would have to contain
"javascript:" to have even a remote chance of doing that.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#adef-id
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#h-6.2

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)