Java String to Javascript String

Hi Everyone,

I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and
would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function
that calls the applet's.

I know the simple string return is straightforward.  But in this case,
is there something I should do in either/both Javascript function and
Java applet to make sure that the image data is not lost during the
transfer due to difference in the structure of Java and Javascript
strings?

Thanks,
Sanj.
0
Sanjay

Sanjay wrote:
> I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and
> would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function
> that calls the applet's.

Why ?
0
Stevo
7/10/2008 4:55:52 PM
On Jul 10, 5:55=A0pm, Stevo <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Sanjay wrote:
> > I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and
> > would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function
> > that calls the applet's.
>
> Why ?

I am making an image upload tool in AJAX.

Now, I am wondering whether I might just as well do the upload within
Java applet unless there is an easy solution for my query.
0
Sanjay
7/10/2008 5:05:23 PM
Sanjay wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:55 pm, Stevo <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> Sanjay wrote:
>>> I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and
>>> would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function
>>> that calls the applet's.
>> Why ?
>
> I am making an image upload tool in AJAX.

So that users will require the JRE and client-side script-support and XHR
support to do what plain HTML (form, file input control, and iframe) could
do?  You are on the path to the Dark Side.

> Now, I am wondering whether I might just as well do the upload within
> Java applet unless there is an easy solution for my query.

Java is off-topic here, unless it is LiveConnect/XPConnect-related.

PointedEars
--
    realism:    HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

string A = string A + string B (adding strings)
Hi, how can I perform the operation of adding string to string. string_A = string_A + string_B In particular I have to do: handles.hsl_current_string{1}(hsl_current_value{1}, :) = [handles.hsl_current_string{1}(hsl_current_value{1}, :), ' ' z1_value, ' ' z2_value, ' ' z_value] where: string_A = handles.hsl_current_string{1}(hsl_current_value{1}, :) string_B = ' ' z1_value, ' ' z2_value, ' ' z_value I am dealing with GUI, string_A is the value of the listbox, and string_B is the value I would like to add to the string_B and rep...

Strings, STRINGS, and crazy strings!
Oh my head... Someone, please bail this choking programmer out of a fix. Here's what I got. 1. A multi-line Textbox control. 2. Enter 3 lines of text (each line separated by hitting the Enter key). 3. In my routine, I transfer the Textbox.text into a string variable, say sString. 4. Then I parse this string with my Parsestring routine that places each individual string into an array called sWords() and the string count into lCount. 5. Next is a For/Next loop to print each string found in sWords() at the same starting point on my Picturebox control (the textbox is in this conta...

Strings, Strings and Damned Strings
I have an int variable (always <100) that I want to convert to a two character string, e.g. if myint = 1, mystr = "01" if myint = 81, mystr = "81" At the moment I can't figure out how to do this cleanly. Then I wish to push a bunch of these strings into an array, for example: typedef char LABEL[3]; LABEL mystrArray[100]; But having read a couple of tutorials I am still no clearer on the best way to do an "array of strings" in this situation, nor how to do it. Any help much appreciated! cheers, Ben Ben wrote: > I have an int variable (always &...

string.fine(string+string...
Hi after reading the docs, I was hoping this would work, but I can't find out why. string a = "I "; string b = "am"; int ego; if(sentence.find((a+b).c_str(),0)!= string::npos) ego++; from the docs **************** size_type find( const string& str, size_type index ); size_type find( const char* str, size_type index ); size_type find( const char* str, size_type index, size_type length ); size_type find( char ch, size_type index ); thanks Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes: > Hi > > after reading the docs, I was hoping this would work, ...

String[] to String
/* I am writing this class to see the output of:args.toString();I want to see if the toString() method on the String[] will convertthe array contents into one string or it will write out it's typename,i.e. the <code>Class</code> class' name.As observed, the output is[java.lang.String@1693e2;which looks like the array's underlying type's name and the startingmemory address.*/public class Ats /*implying Array To String */{ public static void main(String[] args) { if ( args.length == 0 ) System.out.println("Usage: ats arg1 [arg2 [arg3...]]"); else Syste...

string of strings...
I got an array of id's : ids = [22443, 22468, 22371, 22218, 22472, 22377, 22245] I would like to get a string of strings (to be used in SQL WHERE..IN clause " '22443' , ' 22468' , ' 22371' , ' 22218' , '22472' , '22377' , '22245' " If a use ids.join(','), I get "22443,22468,22371,22218,22472,22377,22245" which is obviously not useful for SQL.... is there any shorcuts or should I concatenate each element ? thanks joss On 12/19/06, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I got an array...

string + string
Hi any idea why I am getting something like main.cpp:177: error: invalid operands of types ‘const char [11]’ and ‘const char [8]’ to binary ‘operator+’ when trying to compile something like int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { string a = ".........." + "......."; cout << a << endl; } how can I solve this, I have few lines and use + to concatenate them together. thanks Gary Wessle wrote: > Hi > > any idea why I am getting something like > > > main.cpp:177: error: invalid operands of types 'const char [11]' and 'const ch...

String or string
I am doing something where I do=20 If "force" || "spells" Puts "blah" When I use it it gives a warning about comparing strings, what's happening a= nd how do I fix it? Scratch.mit.edu. Go there! -gbear605= It doesn't seem to mind if those are pre-assigned ... ruby-1.9.2-p0 > if "force" || "spells" ruby-1.9.2-p0 ?> puts "blah" ruby-1.9.2-p0 ?> end (irb):3: warning: string literal in condition (irb):3: warning: string literal in condition blah => nil ruby-1.9.2-p0 > f = "forc...

when string is not a string
Curious javascript sample. Consider the following code: var s = "asd" var f = function() { return typeof(this) } An expression typeof(s) returns true (as it is expected), but f.call(s) returns false! To make matters worse consider the following snippet: var s = "asd" var f = function() { return this instanceof String } An expression f.call(s) returns true, but (s instanceof String) returns false! The question is why call transforms this to an object? Is it made for unification, e.g. to make this iterable using 'for (var i in this)' loop?...

String and what is string
Hello All, I noticed that my knowledge of C language is pretty low today. I have the b= elow: char* ytest =3D "*314159 * 10000 ) "; char* xtest =3D " print \"hello, \" + \" world joost\" "; Fig(1) But when I tokenize pointer of character , ytest, I discover that it also t= raverses xtext values. It took me a while to figure this out. And it happen= s when there is space after my last character. For the below it wont happen= .. char* ytest =3D "*314159 * 10000 )"; char* xtest =3D " print \"hello, \" + \" world joost\""; Fig(2) I notice that if I append '\0' to the char variables in fig(1), it works as= expected, that is it wont tokenize xtest varaible. Also if I turn the poin= ter to character varaibles to array (char ytest[]) it works very well. To m= e that means that my compiler appends '\0' for me. But I also noticed that my isspace function fails if I have at the back of= the last character.=20 char* ytest =3D "*314159 * 10000 ) \0"; char* xtest =3D " print \"hello, \" + \" world joost\" \0"; But this works well with isspace function char* ytest =3D "*314159 * 10000 )\0"; char* xtest =3D " print \"hello, \" + \" world joost\" \0";=20 Could someone help me out in figuri...

Sending/returning a string from a Java Applet to JavaScript
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C357C9.A8774E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to have a Java Applet that is running on a web page to = send/return a string (or an int) so that some JavaScript that is running = on the same webpage can retrieve the information? If so, HOW? =20 Thanks! -Bary- ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C357C9.A8774E60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2723.2500" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is it possible to have a Java Applet = that is=20 running on a web page to send/return a string (or an int) so that some=20 JavaScript that is running on the same webpage can retrieve the=20 information?&nbsp; If so, HOW?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;&l...

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableU...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

Javadoc including "java.lang.String" instead of just "String" for return values
How does one get the javadoc utility to show just "String" instead of "java.lang.String" in its output? I've noticed that, for example, Sun's "awt.TextField.ParamString()" method is documented as follows, and I'd like to make mine appear this way for extremely well-known objects such as "String" as well: protected String paramString() Thanks in advance. -- Randolf Richardson - kingpin+nntp@lumbercartel.ca The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch) http://www.lumbercartel.ca/ Randolf Richardson wrote: > How does one...

Java > Javascript Integer.parseInt(int value or String).byteValue;
In Java you can write something like this. Does anyone know how to do this in javascript? "byte b=Integer.parseInt(int value or String).byteValue;" Henrik wrote: > In Java you can write something like this. Does anyone know how to do > this in javascript? > > "byte b=Integer.parseInt(int value or String).byteValue;" var b = parseInt(anyValue) & 255; ciao, dhgm Dietmar Meier wrote: > Henrik wrote: > >> In Java you can write something like this. Does anyone know how to do >> this in javascript? >> >> "byte b=Integer.p...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

Convert a java String to matlab string
If I have constructed two strings of "java.lang.String", and I want to concatenate them together, but I can't use str1 + str2 as in Java, and the java method of "concat" doen't seem to work. Another way is to convert a java string to matlab string and then concatenate them together. However, I also don't know the correct way for the conversion. Somebody can help me? Thank you for reading. In article <gkngb9$jr8$1@fred.mathworks.com>, "Lihua Pan" <plhalice@gmx.de> wrote: > If I have constructed two strings of "java.lang.String&qu...

java.lang.String.
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignmentsString ref = "HAI";String obj = new String("HAI"); On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:24:43 -0000, "M.Ponmalar@gmail.com" <M.Ponmalar@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignments >String ref = "HAI"; >String obj = new String("HAI"); The second creates a duplicate object, needlessly. The first just assigns a reference to an existing interned string literal object -- Roedy Green Can...

Hide a string in javascript
I know everyone who uses javascript at some point tries to think of a way to hide it from curious users/hackers, so here goes my question. I am trying to display an image map and keep the coords of the active areas hidden from users. I have a page named test.htm that includes a file get.php in a <script> tag that will dynamically generate some javascript to write the imagemap. The get.php file will write a unique key to a session that will identify each request. The get.php file will make an ajax call to a file named get2.php. The get2.php file will check the unique key in the session t...

Are JavaScript strings mutable?
Are JavaScript strings mutable? How're they implemented - 1. char arrays 2. linked lists of char arrays 3. another data structure I see that the + operator is overloaded for the string class and hence it is possible to do: txt += "foo bar"; This suggests that strings are mutable. However, kindly give me your informed opinion. Water Cooler v2 wrote: > Are JavaScript strings mutable? How're they implemented - As a sequence of Unicode-16 characters. That also means that unlike in low-level languages in JavaScript there is not direct relation byte <> character. A...

java.lang.string
I need someones help with the following problem. When trying to compile:"can't find symbol,symbole:constructor sam(java.lang.string,java,lang,string) location :class Mine" appears please help me. <<import easyIO.*; class Mine { public static void main(String[] args) { Mine mn= new Mine(args); } Mine(String[] input) { String fill="data.txt"; String fil="cur.txt"; if (inputfil.length>0) fill=input[0]; if (input.length>1) fil=input[1]; Sam sam= new Sam(fill,fil); sam.menu(); } ......... >> ...

javascript string manipulation
Hello,=20 Here's the situation: I have several fields split into 2 sections (Debt & Equity) on a form = that should only take numerical values. The page is a mix of Javascript = & ASP such that when the user visits the page, the initial values of the = field are filled in by Session cookies. When the cursor leaves a field, = the code checks to see if the entry is a number, and if it is not then = it replaces it with a "0". Then it checks each field for empty entries = and when it finds one, it replaces it with an "0". Then it totals up the = entries in a sub-to...

String manipulation in javascript?
Hey all! New to javascript and still getting my head around strings... Consider the following line of code... var path = location.pathname; ....after execution, the variable "path" contains something like "file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/Desktop/Test/fileread.htm" How do I parse this down to "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\Test" ....or at least to "C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/Desktop/Test" Is there a better function to retrieve the source folder containing the current HTML document? I need to know the path to the curre...

Web resources about - Java String to Javascript String - comp.lang.javascript

Facebook Open-Sources JavaScript Static-Type Checker Flow
The latest software to be open-sourced by Facebook is Flow , a static-type checker for JavaScript . (more…) New Career Opportunities Daily: ...

Quickstart: Facebook SDK for JavaScript
This quickstart will show you how to setup the SDK, load social plugins, trigger a dialog, and get it to make some basic Graph API calls.

Facebook App Devs Get Javascript
It has been an oft-lamented fact of the Facebook Platform thus far in its life that, in order to use all but the most simple of Javascript functionality–the ...