Javascript book (for programmer)

Hi!

I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners
(the ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to
beginners assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was
especially disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).

I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
fast way.

P.Rozycki

P.S. Sorry for my English (I'm not the native speaker)
0
przemas_r

> I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
> books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
> material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners
> (the ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to
> beginners assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was
> especially disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).
>
> I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
> for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
> fast way.

You might start with this survey. It may help you to apply what you
already know to JavaScript: http://www.crockford.com/javascript/survey.html
0
Douglas
10/22/2004 8:54:20 PM
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:07:08 +0200, przemas_ wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
> books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
> material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners (the
> ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to beginners
> assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was especially
> disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).
>
> I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
> for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in fast
> way.

JavaScript The Definitive Reference, O'Reilly ISBN: 1-56592-392-8
(I've got an old version)

Brief descriptions and language reference.

--
i.m.

Ivan
10/22/2004 9:35:17 PM
<przemas_r@o2.pl> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi!
>
> I've been recently searching for a book on javascript.
<snip>
> I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
> for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
> fast way.

Allow me to plug "Dynamic HTML" by Danny Goodman (O'Reilly). It's one of the
most useful reference books I've ever seen and covers JS, (D)HTML, DOM and
CSS in a well organized manner with programmer-friendly conciseness. It's
not a tutorial, and doesn't dig too deeply into more arcane aspects of JS
(and doesn't come with a CD). It will give you a very good overview of Web
techniques, though, and of how to tie them together with JS.

Joakim Braun

0
Joakim
10/23/2004 12:09:05 PM
Thanks for the answer (and thanks to Ivan and Douglas too).

Do you have any experience with Goodman's Javascript: Bible - i saw it
on bookshelf in the library and skimmed through the first part (3
chapters). As far as i can see from table of contents, the whole second
part 2 (encontained on about 100 pages) gives some grounding in
javascript basics.
Has anyone read this book? Does reading the second part suffice to start
programming in javascript? Or isn't it possible to code without reading
further chapters (about DOM).

P.Rozycki
0
przemas_r
10/23/2004 12:47:00 PM
> Do you have any experience with Goodman's Javascript: Bible - i saw it
> on bookshelf in the library and skimmed through the first part (3
> chapters). As far as i can see from table of contents, the whole second
> part 2 (encontained on about 100 pages) gives some grounding in
> javascript basics.
> Has anyone read this book? Does reading the second part suffice to start
> programming in javascript? Or isn't it possible to code without reading
> further chapters (about DOM).

I don't like Goodman's Javascript: Bible. I think his Dynamic HTML is
much better. Flanagan's Definitive Guide is perhaps the best.

http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html
0
Douglas
10/23/2004 3:43:05 PM
Hmm, I've already read about 80 pages of Javascript Beginning, about 70
pages of Javascript: Bible. I don't think I will undertake switching for
the third time :).

On the other side, there are still tens (or hundreds) of pages waiting.
At least I'll skim through Definitive Guide table of contents. Perhaps
there are some vivid essential differences (in comparition to JS:Bible).

(Third time lucky?)

Douglas Crockford wrote:

> I don't like Goodman's Javascript: Bible. I think his Dynamic HTML is
> much better. Flanagan's Definitive Guide is perhaps the best.
>
> http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html
0
przemas_r
10/23/2004 4:50:43 PM
I have the 3rd edition of David Flanagan's book. It is quite good.
The 4th edition looks even better, but I've not yet decided whether I need
to get the 4th edition, as I have the 3rd.
It's either buy the book  or get about seventy 8 ounce yogurts.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Douglas Crockford" <nospam@covad.net> wrote in message
> > Do you have any experience with Goodman's Javascript: Bible - i saw it
> > on bookshelf in the library and skimmed through the first part (3
> > chapters). As far as i can see from table of contents, the whole second
> > part 2 (encontained on about 100 pages) gives some grounding in
> > javascript basics.
> > Has anyone read this book? Does reading the second part suffice to start
> > programming in javascript? Or isn't it possible to code without reading
> > further chapters (about DOM).
>
> I don't like Goodman's Javascript: Bible. I think his Dynamic HTML is
> much better. Flanagan's Definitive Guide is perhaps the best.
>
> http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

0
Howard
10/23/2004 6:36:40 PM
<przemas_r@o2.pl> wrote in message =
> Hmm, I've already read about 80 pages of Javascript Beginning, about =
70=20
> pages of Javascript: Bible. I don't think I will undertake switching =
for=20
> the third time :).
>=20
> On the other side, there are still tens (or hundreds) of pages =
waiting.=20
> At least I'll skim through Definitive Guide table of contents. Perhaps =

> there are some vivid essential differences (in comparition to =
JS:Bible).
>=20
> (Third time lucky?)
>=20
> Douglas Crockford wrote:
> >=20
> > I don't like Goodman's Javascript: Bible. I think his Dynamic HTML =
is=20
> > much better. Flanagan's Definitive Guide is perhaps the best.
> >=20
> > http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

You know someting I like "Instant JavaScript" from WROX by Nigel =
McFarlane.
It's old (1997) I know.  But it is well put together and has lot's of =
interesting stuff not seen anywhere else.
And yes Danny Goodman's book is good too.  The other one the one that is =
considered the be all and end all
of JavaScript programing Flanagan's book "JavaScript: The Definitive =
Guide" well for a beginner it's not all that
good.  The one's above I think are better for that audience but it does =
have usefulness.  I get most of mine
off eBay.  Much cheaper especially for the WROX books which nornmally =
suck but hey, $1.00 ain't bad even if
the examples don't work.

Good lick with you to find that right one.

--=20
George Hester
__________________________________
0
George
10/24/2004 10:36:49 PM
http://giuciao.altervista.org/free_books.html

przemas_r@o2.pl wrote in message news:<clblo7$g10$1@julia.coi.pw.edu.pl>...
> Hi!
>
> I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
> books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
> material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners
> (the ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to
> beginners assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was
> especially disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).
>
> I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
> for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
> fast way.
>
> P.Rozycki
>
> P.S. Sorry for my English (I'm not the native speaker)
0
ontiscal