Link and Anchor, what is the difference ???

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

What is the difference between a link and an anchor in Javascript (DOM level
0) ?

Ton

--
Computer museum tonh: http://www.tonh.net/museum - 10.000 visitors !!
GGGallery website generator: http://www.tonh.net/gggallery

0
Reply Ton 1/12/2004 2:47:35 PM

See related articles to this posting

Ton den Hartog said:

>What is the difference between a link and an anchor in Javascript (DOM level
>0) ?

A Link has an HREF attribute.  An Anchor does not.

0
Reply Lee 1/12/2004 3:02:58 PM

> >What is the difference between a link and an anchor in Javascript (DOM
level
> >0) ?

> A Link has an HREF attribute.  An Anchor does not.

No ? :-)

Maybe the question is, what IS a link and an anchor..... ?

Ton

0
Reply Ton 1/12/2004 9:00:57 PM

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:00:57 +0100, Ton den Hartog
<ton.den.hartog.removespam@tonh.net> wrote:

> Maybe the question is, what IS a link and an anchor..... ?

Typically:

   A link is used to take the user to a new location, or to perform an
action (if scripting is used).

   An anchor is a destination that can be targeted by a link.

The former is acheived with the A element. The latter can also be done
with the A element and its name attribute, or by specifying a value for
the id attribute in other elements. To target an anchor, use a fragment
identifier (#frag-id) in the URI:

<A href="#Section-1">Section 1</A>
<A href="#Section-2">Section 2</A>
<H1><A name="Section-1">Section 1</A></H1>
<H1 id="Section-2">Section 2</H1>

For more information, see:

   Links -

       http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html

   Fragment Identifiers -

       http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/intro.html#fragment-uri

Both are taken from the W3C's HTML 4.01 Specification. There are too many
bits within the 'Links' section to reference individually, so just read it
all. :)

Hope that helps somewhat,
Mike

--
Michael Winter
M.Winter@blueyonder.co.invalid (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to link different site-packages to different Python?
Hi all, I have Python 2.4 and 2.5 in my PC. And PythonWin is installed as IDE. When I tried to use site-packages "Numpy", I installed the both version (i.e. for 2.4 and 2.5). Python 2.4 and Numpy for it work together well. But when I type "from numpy import *" in Python 2.5. It throw out an error indicate that the numpy library is link to Python 2.4 package? How to fix this problem? The error pasted below is copied from Python 2.5 PythonWin console: Traceback (most recent call last): File "<interactive input>", line 1, in <module> File "...

Browsing different workgroups over different subnets and over VPN-link
I'm having problems with my samba setup for browsing over multiple networks. As of today I have three different networks located in different physical locations. Each network has a samba server running as local master with different workgroup names. Now I've established VPN-tunnels out from each of these networks to a common "hub"-point (this point isn't running samba). network 1 (192.168.20.0/24) | | | hub (network irrelevant, it's just used for tying together the vpns) / \ /...

One GIF: different areas link to different webpages
Dear Folks: I just started learning HTML this week. But I need to finish something by Monday. I have a bare bones version (v.1) but I want to deliver v.1.1. I've been browsing here trying to find some guidance and have been somewhat sucessful. The answer to my issue, I think, involves image maps and AREA tags. I have one GIF. It is a fat horizontal bar with the names of three websites. I'd like each name to be a link. Am I on the right track with Image Maps and AREA tags? Any other advice? Many thanks Raoul On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:49:17 +0100, Raoul <...

To link or not to link
I have an Access 2002 program that I install using Wise. The first thing my program does when a front end is opened is re-link, then it checks the version and if needed upgrades the backend. My problem is that I have a new front end version upgrade that creates several new tables in the backend and then links them. So when the program opens up it checks the version in the backend and if needed creates new tables & new links. Now when this new front end is installed on another workstation the program knows that the upgrade has been done so skips creating new tables & new links...so t...

To link or not to link...
Some tutorials mention that some assemblers need to do a linking after the assembling of the sourcecode to objectcode. Other assemblers don't. I don't think AsemPro needs that, but why when I do the linking anyway, the resulting file is a project, not a tool? Cheers guys. ...

Linking with different compilers
I have some libraries from one vendor that was built with gcc 3.0.2. I have another set of libraries from another vendor that was built with gcc 3.3. I need to link a program that uses both libraries. I can get the two vendors stuff to link finally, but I'm having trouble with libstdc++ and libgcc_s. The first vendor supplied a version of these in his junk and I have another version for gcc 3.3. I get incompatibulities between libstdc++.so.3 in 3.0.2 and libstdc++.so.5 in gcc 3.3. Both have a libgcc_s.so.1. When I run the program, I get something to the effect: exe : library : version G...

difference between compiling and linking...?
I only know Compiling usede to convert the .cpp file into .obj file. but have really no idea about linking. please let me know about this. Thanking you, Pritam "c++_Passioner" > I only know Compiling usede to convert the .cpp file into .obj file. > but have really no idea about linking. please let me know about this. Here's a great post by the one and only Karl Heinz Bucchegger who, sadly, has been missing lately. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++/browse_frm/thread/3274db962f1f060c/8e616babfa4cbc97?lnk=st&q=linking+author%3Akarl+author%3Aheinz&rn...

link different LAPCKs
Hi group, I have a problem with lapack linking. I want to use dgetrs from lapack with extended precision so I add -fdefault-real-8 to the compiler options when I compile blas and lapack from the sources. Now I also want to use dgesvd also from lapack with the normal precision. I have also a lapack version with normal precision. How can I do this? If I link these two lapacks to my program how does the linker differ between them? Now I came to the conclusion to compile the different library functions seperate and than use only them. But maybe in the future I will use some diff...

re links and anchors
Hi just started to experement with styleshhets, and have defined hover a:hover { Color : red; Text-decoration : none; Border-top-width : medium; Border-right-width : medium; Border-bottom-width : medium; Border-left-width : medium; Border-color : rgb(255 , 102 , 51); Border-style : groove; Width : 30%; Display : inline; } but how do i stop this working with anchors eg <h1><a name="top">Strings and Thins</a></h1> i tried definning an a hover, with name with the same colors as h2, but t...

what's the difference between the different the different GraphicConfigurations
I'm looking through this example http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/2d/spec/j2d-awt.fm6.html, and I cannot understand the difference between the different GraphicConfigurations. When the frames come up on my screen, I get eight of them on the screen, and the only difference I can tell between them is the pxlfmt in the GraphicsConfiguration.toString(). What is the difference between them? I'm trying to figure out which GraphicsConfiguration I need to draw to if I want to do some drawing on multi-screened application? Do I have to draw to all of the GraphicsConfiguration's? ...

Reposition on a linked page with no anchor?
I'm trying to create a link to a certain part of a page on another website that has no anchor (i.e. ID or name) at the position on the page I want to link to. So I can't do something like theotherpage.html#anchorname. However, since there is a unique keyword at the position I want to link to I thought perhaps I could load the page, then search for this keyword and then reposition to that point. Can javascript do something like this? Thanks "ukrbend" wrote > I'm trying to create a link to a certain part of a page on another > website that has > no anchor (i....

Link different code sections
Friends, Can anyone please help me with the following: My application is running from non-volatile memory mapped at 0x0000-0x4000. I also have external RAM mapped at 0x8000 and above. Events caused in my application changes the execution to a jump vector at the beginning of the external RAM and each of the entries at the jump vector should jump to a specific routine (or C label) residing in the external RAM (starting at the end of the jump vector). How can I specify to the linker which code goes where? 1. Can it use some kind of link file (if so where can I find documentation on this)? 2. ...

Link to table of different name
I have a (linked) table called 'Deliveries' linked to a table of that name in the back-end. I now want to create a new link to another table named 'Deliveries' in a different back-end. I would like to call the linked table in the front-end 'DeliveriesPrevious' but, of course linked to the back-end table named 'Deliveries' I can create a table and connect it: Dim aTable As DAO.TableDef Set aTable = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef("DeliveriesPrevious") aTable.Connect = ";DATABASE=" &...

Different developers dislike osx for different reasons: many different rootcauses for many different symptoms
As you might have remembered I have expressed my disdain for xcode on numberous occasions for the system being completely unusable when debugging in tethered mode. Some of you suggested that core duo mac mini with 2GB or ram is not suitable for development. Okay, so our admin has provided me with a 4GB ram 2.7Ghz pc (1.33Ghz bus), initially core duo and now a 2.7Ghz core quad: still I have xcode text editor crawling when gdb is running. Same deal as on core duo: system idle is around 50-75% and yet xcode (3.2.2) is slow: i'll blame this on synchronization done incorrectly or th...

What is the difference between up and down link on LAN switch?
Hello all - My new desktop LAN switch have 1 up-port and 5 down-ports. If I connect my cable-Modem to the up-port and my PC to the down-port it doesn't work. If I connect both to the down-ports it works? So my question is: What is the difference between up and down plugs? Only crossing the cable lines? The same difference as in the patch cable crossed and not crossed version? Or is a form of priority or special routing implemented on the up-port? BTW: How does the switch knows where the packets have to go? regards - Henry -- <Schau auch mal auf meine Homepage www.ehydra.dyndns.info&...

alias or symbolic link, any difference?
Is there any difference between an alias created by the finder, or a unix symbolic link created from a terminal window? On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:27:56 -0500, Luke wrote: > Is there any difference between an alias created by the finder, or a > unix symbolic link created from a terminal window? Yes, there is a difference. Although symbolic links work in the Finder, Finder aliases do not work in the Terminal. Symbolic links are broken if the target file is moved, but Finder aliases are not. -- Dave Seaman Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling. <http://www.co...

linking tables to different databases
Hello- Here is my situation. I have multiple copies of the same database on our MS SQL server (same program, but differnet funding streams). I have an Access 2003 front end that I link to the SQL server for ad-hoc reports and queries. I link all the tables I need from a database (for instance: dbo.tProvider, dbo.tParents, etc) Then I rename the tables links in Access to just tParents, tProvider... this way I can have one query, one report - I just update the links to the new database whenever I need to change sources. Is there a clever way of renaming the 'linked' table names in Acces...

linking subroutine in different directory
hello, How can i compile and link a program that uses subroutines in different directories? as for simple example; $ cat trial.f90 call lm(oidxdn,opnu,opold,oqnu,oqold,avw) call lm_end(oidxdn,opnu,opold,oqnu,oqold,avw) end is compiling as: $ gfortran -c trial.f90 -I/home/rudra/Recursion/LMTO-A but when i am trying to create the executable, it says: gfortran trial.f90 -L/home/rudra/Recursion/LMTO-A -llm /tmp/cc2gfNyf.o: In function `MAIN__': trial.f90:(.text+0x44): undefined reference to `lm_' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status can anyone tell me the wayout? As a work around...

the sign of the sum of the difference different from the sign of the difference of the sums
Dear experts, I'm using matlab 2009b with win xp (coreduo E8500). I should calcolate the difference of the sum of two vectors and I noticed this misbehavior: (you can find the workspace with the two vectors at http://www.box.net/shared/1rtxb8xt28 ): >> format long >> sum(lpt -lvt) ans = -1.455870024968571e-015 >> sum(lpt)-sum(lvt) ans = 1.136868377216160e-013 ok, the numbers are not equal due to the finite precision arithmetic. But, what about the sign? I cannot distinguish which one of the two sums is larger. Is there a way to determine the correct sign of ...

Differences between different shells
Will there be any differences in the execution of the following command for the various unix shells: mv "file name1" "file destination" 2>&1 In particular, the effects of the redirection and the double quotes used for the filenames. Thanks. Eli ps. please cc reply to eli@napchan.com On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 at 12:52 GMT, eli napchan wrote: > Will there be any differences in the execution of the following > command for the various unix shells: > mv "file name1" "file destination" 2>&1 > > In particular, the effects of the redi...

how to test difference in difference?
Hi all, I have the following dataset, where y is the dependent var, X1 is indepent var (continuous), X2 is dummy for group A (=1) and group B (=0) Y X1 X2 I would like to conduct the following test with standard error reported: {(aveage y of group A if X1 increases by 0.1 - average y of group A if X1 increases by 0.5) - (average y of group B if X1 increases by 0.1 - average y of group B if X1 increases by 0.5)}, How should I do this? Thanks in advance. Chunling --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstake...

link against stl (different implementation of)
hello everybody, I have an application that uses a 3D engine library compiled as a static library called EnRG.lib. My own code is normally compiled against the MS Visual C implementation of the stl, and everything works fine. I wanted to try to link the same code against the stlport. but I get a lot of linking errors (i report one of those at the end of the message) and I don't understand why... could it be because the EnRG lib is compiled with the MS's stl?? being it a static lib, shouldn't it incorporate the code it needs and leave me free to link my own code against the library...

What is the difference between the different filters that...
What is the difference between the different filters that are predefined in Labview(equi-ripple, FIR, Butterworth,etc). How do I get their freq responses? Which filter should I use if I am trying to design a Bandpass filter for a passband freq range between 50-100Hz? I don't understand the difference betweenthe equi-ripple,butterworth and fir filters. I thought that I could use any one of these. Is there any way to find the frequency responces of the predefined Filters that are available on labview. The actual frequency response of your filter is returned by the VI as "filter inform...

difference-in-difference analysis
Hello, I have baseline and follow-up values for my intervention and control group. I want to conduct a difference-in-difference analysis. Y is continuous. i.e. Y = b0 + b1*Time + b2*Intervention + b3*(Intervention*Time) +b4Xn where Time is an indicator if the value is obtained at follow-up (1, 0) Intervention is an indicator for being in the intervention group (1,0) Intervention*TIme is the interaction Xn: vector of all my other covariates. I understand the theory pretty well, but have not been able to find the SAS code to conduct this analysis. Pl. advise on 2 things: 1. How to arrange t...