Need good javascript tutorial for programmers

Hello folks --

   I would like a JavaScript tutorial for programmers. By this I mean that
   I'd like to know the language "fundamentals" /first/ and then learn about
   the "web stuff".
   This is because I came accross some articles claiming that JavaScript is,
   in fact, quite full of interesting capabilities (closures, higher-order
   functions, anonymous funtions, even object can be supported as in OOP).
  Can anyone recommend me a tutorial that goes beyond the "Look! Ma! I put a
  pop-up window in here!"?
  I'm interested in this because of the Mozilla framewrok for applications
  (based on a triad of JavaScript, XUL and CSS).

 TIA

 Zac

Anonymous

Anonymous wrote:

> Hello folks --
>
>    I would like a JavaScript tutorial for programmers. By this I mean that
>    I'd like to know the language "fundamentals" /first/ and then learn about
>    the "web stuff".
>    This is because I came accross some articles claiming that JavaScript is,
>    in fact, quite full of interesting capabilities (closures, higher-order
>    functions, anonymous funtions, even object can be supported as in OOP).
>   Can anyone recommend me a tutorial that goes beyond the "Look! Ma! I put a
>   pop-up window in here!"?
>   I'm interested in this because of the Mozilla framewrok for applications
>   (based on a triad of JavaScript, XUL and CSS).
>
>  TIA
>
>  Zac

I highly recommend "JavaScript, the definitive guide" at O'Reilly. Get
the 4th edition.

Laurent
--
Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

Laurent
8/17/2003 3:40:21 PM
Anonymous <Nobody> writes:

>   Can anyone recommend me a tutorial that goes beyond the "Look! Ma! I put a
>   pop-up window in here!"?

Not a tutorial, but a survey of the language.
<URL:http://www.crockford.com/#javascript>

The survey is good for getting a grasp of the language if you already
know most of the concepts from other languages, and the rest of the
articles are also worth reading.
(in case Douglas Crockford is too modest to post the link it himself)

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen  -  lrn@hotpop.com
Lasse

The ultimate reference is the ECMAScript specification. however, it's really
only aimed at those producing their own implementation so I wouldn't bother
with it.

"Lasse Reichstein Nielsen" <lrn@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> Anonymous <Nobody> writes:
>
> >   Can anyone recommend me a tutorial that goes beyond the "Look! Ma! I
put a
> >   pop-up window in here!"?
>
> Not a tutorial, but a survey of the language.
> <URL:http://www.crockford.com/#javascript>
>
> The survey is good for getting a grasp of the language if you already
> know most of the concepts from other languages, and the rest of the
> articles are also worth reading.
> (in case Douglas Crockford is too modest to post the link it himself)
>
> /L
> --
> Lasse Reichstein Nielsen  -  lrn@hotpop.com
>  Art D'HTML: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/randomArtSplit.html>
>   'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'

0
Andy