100% CPU using LabView 7.1 and DSC module

Seven years ago I used BridgeView and PXI to execute a project, and the results were so good that after that initial system, I installed one more using BridgeView, and three more using LabView 7.1.

BridgeView is working very well, but lately, LabView 7.1 is giving me more and more problems. It all started in a system running LabView 7.1 and DSC on Windows XP, using a PXI-8187 controller with a PXI-1042 chassis. I have two PXI-6533 digital I/O boards, one PXI-6030E multifunction, one PXI-6713 analog output board, one PXI-6602 counter board and one PXI-8422 serial com. board. In may/06, all of the sudden, the CPU went to a 100% use. Since I am running PID's to control a flash-butt welding machine in a steel factory, this was extremely dangerous. I changed the controller and everything went back to normal. It was running fine until december/06, when the same behavior appeared again. This time changing the controller did not help. We increased the system memory, from 256 MB to 512 MB and everything worked fine. But one month later (january/07) the fault reappeared. This time we changed the chassis and from that moment to this time, we are running smoothly.

Application problems were suspect from the very first time this problem appeared, but I was unable to identify the source, if any. I used PROFILE VI's and apparently the write/read tags were taking all the processor resources. However, changing the routines and disabling communications, and optimizing CPU intensive programs never solved the CPU overload.

Until now, I was aware of only one system showing this erratic behavior. But today I went to check another system, with a totally different application. This one is used to measure the thickness of the steel sheet on a rolling mill. Is not so resource-intensive, but the maintenance folks told me that every time they turned off this particular system, they always had problems trying to turn it on.

I was suspecting of a PLC-communication related issue, but what I found turned my alarms on. I turned off the system, which was fully functional, and turned it back on, and there it was, CPU load at 100%!. Is exactly the same problem that I have on the welder. This system has a PXI-8184, a PXI-1042 chassis, Windows XP, one PXI-6030E, one PXI-6713 and one PXI-6533. I battled for 20 minutes to put the system back in normal conditions.

I specified every single board, installed everything and programmed all the applications. The BridgeView applications have never showed anything like this. I am using the DSC (Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module) on both applications, and the Lookout Protocol Drivers are communicating to Modicon PLC's.

Please, I need help to solve this issue. I believe none of your actual Knowledge Base "100% CPU" articles apply to my case...

Thanks in advance...

Antonio Jimenez
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
0
x9561 (148439)

Thanks for your reply...
Yes, sometimes I have the feeling that the systems works again because some file or database gets initialized after so many&nbsp;reboots.
Intentionally I turned off all the events and alarm logging to disk. Also the historical data logging is disabled. This&nbsp;is done by code, every time the&nbsp;main&nbsp;VI is started. This was&nbsp;included&nbsp;precisely to save CPU processing power. However, I&nbsp;am communicating to PLC's, and of course I have to declare variables inside the citadel database to make the communication possible.
Right now I can't have access to the application, because the mill is rolling, but during the next maintenance stop I will check the database location and size, and I could change the directory location the next time the fault comes up.
0
x9561 (148439)

DSC module 7.1 labview 7.1, new controls and functions not showing up in labview
Dear Reader, I have installed labview 7.10 (also tried update to 7.11) and DSC module 7.1 I thought I would get additional functions and controls in labview due to installation of this module, but I do not see addtional controls or functions, althought I have searched for them and set the controls to "advance" etc. Anyone any idea what I have to do. thanks and regards. ...

Is LabVIEW 7.1 Aug2005 identical to LabView 7.1 May2005?
I am attempting to have a coworker at a remote site set up their PC with the exact same software as one that I have here.&nbsp; I used the August 2005 CDs from Developer Suite.&nbsp; My coworker tells me that he has the TestStand 3.1, and the Device Driver CDs from the Aug2005 Dev Suite shipment, but he can only find LabView 7.1 from the May2005 delivery. &nbsp; I would like to safely&nbsp;assume that LabView 7.1 is LabView 7.1, regardless of whether it was shipped in May or August, but it is really important to me to make absolutely sure that we end up with the same software v...

Trying to use Labview Test Executive with Labview 7.1
I have an old application I wrote in Labview 5.1 using the Test Executive version 5.1.&nbsp; I now need to modify the program slightly for a new product. So far I have done the following: 1. Installed the Test Executive in the Labview 7.1 directory 2. Mass compiled the vi's in the LVEXEC51 folder &nbsp; During the mass compile, I see a number of errors when it tries to compile the vi's in the DATABASE folder. It can't seem to find vi's related to SQL (ie Easy SQL.vi). When I try to run the Test Executive directly from the Operator.llb, I see the following errors: &n...

Please, Help me. I need to do Pluse Width Modulation using LabVIEW 7.1
I need to do Pluse Width Modulation (PWM) using LabVIEW 7.1. I have&nbsp;some analog signal e.g. sine-wave, then I want to&nbsp;transform this signal to be PWM signal. See in Figure, Now&nbsp;I already make by myself, but it 's not good. Because the frequency of sawtooth is very low,&nbsp;so&nbsp;the PWM signal is not smooth. Please , help me or give me for example. I will try its. fig4.gif: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/168697/1/fig4.gif Hello, &nbsp; From the looks of your attached picture, generating a pulse width modulated signal really amounts to&nbsp;simply comparing&nbsp;two signals (say A and B), and when signal A &gt;= B output some "high" value, and when A &lt; B output some "low" value.&nbsp; I am not sure what you're having trouble with - you should be able to use the comparison functions in the comparison palette to compare the signals and generate the corresponding PWM "square wave."&nbsp; Are you having trouble defining the comparison code, or is actually generating the PWM signal with hardware giving you trouble? &nbsp; Best Regards, &nbsp; JLS My trouble is that : I already&nbsp;make the comparision between 2 signals, but the PWM that generate from the different between 2 signals&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; isn't good because it's very low frequency. I need to improve my PWM becomes high frequency or faster. Thank yo...

Problem in creating the simulation dll using SIT 2.0.3,matlab 7.1,labview 7.1
I am currently using SIT 2.0.3 ,using this toolkit i am trying to create the simulation DLL for labview.but i am getting the following error in matlab command window Error: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 117 Column: 7Undefined identifier ReleaseVersionError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 117 Column: 25The == and != operators can only be used to compare values of the same typeError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 260 Column: 26Undefined identifier ReleaseVersionError: File: C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\ModelInterface\basic.tlc Line: 260 Column: 44The == and != operators can only be used to compare values of the same type &nbsp; Is this a version problem? I am using Simulation interface toolkit 2.0.3 Matlab 7.1.0.246(R14) Service pack Real time workshop V.6.3 Labview 7.1 Microsoft visual C++ 6.0 &nbsp; Can anybody help me to solve this issue. &nbsp; Hi, Unfortunately, it looks like the versions you are using are indeed not compatible. Here is an excerpt from the <a href="http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/labview/labview_toolkits/simulation_interface/2.0.3/sit_2_0_3_readme.html" target="_blank">Read Me file</a> for Simulation Interface Toolkit 2.0.3: To use the Simulation Interface Toolkit 2.0.3, you must be a properly licensed user of and have the following software installed on the host computer. - The MathWorks MATLAB ver...

Using Labview 7.1 code on 6.1
Hi there, I was wondering if there's any way to open Labview 7.1 code on Labview 6.1. I wrote a lot of code using 7.1, and now I'm using a machine with 6.1. It's okay if some of the sub-vi's don't work. I just need the thing to open up. Thanks. Jenni. Hi again, Yes, I would appreciate it if someone could do the conversion for me. There are 3 pieces of code. It's written in 7.1 (OSX version), and I'd like it in 6.1 (PC). Also, help yourself to the code if anyone out there could use a post-processor for a 6 degree-of-freedom load cell. Thanks. Jenni. zero_si...

How to use the "Clear PDA Chart .vi" in LabVIEW 7.1 PDA module?
In my iPAQ application, I try to use the LabVIEW 7.1 PDA module's "Clear PDA Chart .vi" to clear the graph. But I do not know how to do it. I always get error when I call it.<br><br>My code is attached. The code is to draw a sin wave and then clear it. sin.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/102742/1/sin.vi ...

Can I run a LabVIEW 7.1 Application on a system with LabVIEW 6.1?
The VI App did not run properly, even after I installed the LabVIEW 7.1 Run time engine. Perhpas I need to uninstall the LV 6.1 run time engine? Thank you for any suggestions; perhaps it's something minor that I'm overlooking! Are you talking about a 7.1 exe or VI? An executable will run with 6.1 installed and the 7.1 run-time. A 7.1 VI will only run with 7.1 development system. When you say it did not run properly, what exactly do you mean? I am referring to trying to run a 7.1 EXE application on a system with a resident 6.1 development environment, and the 7.1 run-time engine ins...

I am using report generation toolkit 1.1 with Labview 7.0...
I am using report generation toolkit 1.1 with Labview 7.0 and Office 2003 professional. The create new report VI opens Excel but throws error (-2147167262- from automation open VI) when I try to open MS word. please help... I am using report generation toolkit 1.1 with Labview 7.0 and Office 2003 professional. The create new report VI opens Excel but throws error (-2147167262- from automation open VI) when I try to open MS word. please help... Hi Leo22, Does this error occur if you use any of the example programs that come shipped with LabVIEW? I would try opening one of the examples that ...

Can I use NI-FGEN version 2.1 in LabView 7.1 ?
BACKGROUND: We are switching from using CVI to LabView. We have LabView version 7.1 (as part of developer suite). I am building a new test station with PXI chassis and items such as 5112 digitizer, 5411 Arb Wave Gen. NI-Scope version 2.6 came with the 5112. When I installed it, I did not get any VIs in tools panel, and no examples. Re-installed and checked box for "LabView 7.0" support. Then got examples in directory, but they would not run. Discovered that I needed NI-Scope 2.6.1 which includes support for LabView 7.1. PROBLEM: So before loading NI-FGEN 2.1 from the CD_ROM ...

Controlling VI Logger 1.1.1 with LabVIEW 7.1
I have LabVIEW 7.1 on my system and installed VI Logger (1.1 them upgraded to 1.1.1). I would like to programatically control VI Logger with LabVIEW. There are references to VIs under the Advanced pallate to do just that, but I cannot find them or any help files to explain what to do. Where do I find these VIs? ...

Use the security functions from DSC module without DSC Run-Time installed (Version 7.1)
Hi, &nbsp; like descibed in the DSC manual (page 8-2, version 7.1), I installed the application using the security functions from DSC module to a "virgin" PC. The created the vi.lib folder as descibed. When staring up the application and trying to log-in another user, I get the error 0x8abc00af. &nbsp; I installed the the application where LV7.1 is installed (but no DSC module) and it works fine. &nbsp; Have I forgotten to copy something like&nbsp;a user acount file ?? &nbsp; &nbsp; Thnks for help! ...

How can you simple install the LabVIEW Toolboxes with LabVIEW 7.1
Hello, yesterday was a nice day, I have receved the NI Developer Suite Professional Control Edition with the new LabVIEW 7.1, RT 7.1, DSC 7.1 etc. I still use Labview 7.0 (Developer Suite Professional Control Edition) Unfortunately I can't install the Toolboxes from the toolbox cd into the right directory! Always when I try to install a toolbox, it will be installed into the LabVIEW 7.0 directory. It is not possible to change the directory (exeption: SPC-Toolbox) Even if you change the name of your LabVIEW 7.0 Directory, the toolbox produce a new folder LabVIEW 7.0 and is getting instaled ...

calling DLL using LabVIEW 7.1
so, i have this DLL which might be compiled using Visual Studio 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.NET. &nbsp; question is: Can i call DLL functions using LabVIEW 7.1? has anyone tried it and has any issues loading the DLL? i think i have everything right, as far as the configuration of 'Call Library Function Node' is concerned, but i get the 'error loading DLL - application has failed to start because application config is incorrect'. &nbsp; can you please verify if .NET is not causing me issues? i think DLL assembly should be the same wheather it's VStudio6 or .NET, but can anyone confirm that's not the issue? Thanks... Yes. If you dll is&nbsp;generated by C/C++, using Call Library Function node. If it is generated by .net, using constructor node. <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=206959#M206959" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=206959#M206959</a> rkpat: I have successfully loaded dlls into LabVIEW before. Please post again if you run into any snags. Regards, Rudi N. ...

Why multihreaded soft worked under Labview 7 but is slower under Labview 8.2.1
Hello all ! &nbsp; I have a multithreated software developped under Labview 7.0. Under this version, multithreading can be enabled/disabled via the&nbsp;options menu&nbsp;/ performance &amp; disk section. This is not present under Labview 8.2.1. &nbsp; My software works properly under LW7 but is slower under LW8.2.1...how can I configure labview and or my vi&nbsp;to make it running as well as&nbsp;under LW7 ??? Is there a "hidden" option to enable/disable multithreading under LW8.2.1 ?&nbsp; &nbsp; Thank you for your help &nbsp; remi To disable multithreading, add ESys.StdNParallel=0 to the ini file. (See: <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/2F606AD236C606008625718E00561A62?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/2F606AD236C606008625718E00561A62?OpenDocument</a>) However, it is not celar that this is the problem. Did you save the entire hierachy under 8.2.1 after conversion (of course after making sutable backup copines of the 7.0 version ;)). Freshly converted, but not yet saved code runs typically much slower. Also, what do you mean by "slower" 10% slower, 10x slower? How do you measure speed? Thanks for your quick answer altenbach. The tips given at this link will really be useful to me! It seems that I made a wrong conversion of the files...fortunately I made suitable backup of the 7.0 version :smileywink:. I will investigate mor...

Differences in CIN management between Labview 5.0 and Labview 7.1 ? #4
Hi, &nbsp; I'm using a VI on a two photon microscope. It steers the laser beam in the sample (quite the same way as a TV scan, scanning a fast line on the X axis, then moving the line down)&nbsp;controlling two mirrors by the&nbsp;PCI-MIO-16E-4 Multifunctions card&nbsp;on traditional DAQ and at the same time it serves as the acquitision through a non-NI DSP Multifunction-board with on-board buffers and hight data throughput (70 Mb/s). &nbsp; It is this part of the program which gives us strong headaches since we have upgraded to a new PC. On the old machine we used Win...

Differences in CIN management between Labview 5.0 and Labview 7.1 ? #2
Hi, &nbsp; I'm using a VI on a two photon microscope. It steers the laser beam in the sample (quite the same way as a TV scan, scanning a fast line on the X axis, then moving the line down)&nbsp;controlling two mirrors by the&nbsp;PCI-MIO-16E-4 Multifunctions card&nbsp;on traditional DAQ and at the same time it serves as the acquitision through a non-NI DSP Multifunction-board with on-board buffers and hight data throughput (70 Mb/s). &nbsp; It is this part of the program which gives us strong headaches since we have upgraded to a new PC. On the old machine we used Win...

Differences in CIN management between Labview 5.0 and Labview 7.1 ? #3
Hi, &nbsp; I'm using a VI on a two photon microscope. It steers the laser beam in the sample (quite the same way as a TV scan, scanning a fast line on the X axis, then moving the line down)&nbsp;controlling two mirrors by the&nbsp;PCI-MIO-16E-4 Multifunctions card&nbsp;on traditional DAQ and at the same time it serves as the acquitision through a non-NI DSP Multifunction-board with on-board buffers and hight data throughput (70 Mb/s). &nbsp; It is this part of the program which gives us strong headaches since we have upgraded to a new PC. On the old machine we used Win...

Would a LabVIEW 8.5 Executable play nice with LabVIEW 7.1 Development on the Same System?
Our testing computer right now just has the user&nbsp;run the corresponding .vi file since we have LabVIEW 7.1 installed on the computer. &nbsp; If I use 8.5 to compile this .vi to an executable, I realize that I must install the run-time support for 8.5.&nbsp; My question is what effect will installing the 8.5 run-time have on the ability to continue to run the other 7.1 VIs with LabVIEW 7.1.&nbsp; &nbsp; Should I be concerned with losing MAX settings when installing the run-time support for 8.5? I want to be able to run 8.5 executables but also able to open up a 7.1 .vi file in LabVIEW 7.1 and run it that way also. &nbsp; Thanks for your help! I have 8.5 on my system and the idea is to slowly replace the running of the .vi files with .exe files, I was just curious in case my .exe doesn't work I can still run the tests with .vi in the mean time. &nbsp; Thanks for your help folks! &nbsp; ...

Calling DLL function using LabVIEW 7.1?
Here's the scinario: I have LabVIEW 7.1 and i'm trying to call a DLL function using 'CALL LIBRARY FUNCTION NODE'. I have used this in the past with no problem. But right now, when I use this node and link it to the library and function name, i get 'ERROR loading Dllname.dll' message. &nbsp; NOTE that the DLL is generated using VStudio2003 or VStudio.NET. Could this be a problem?? Also, i noticed that there are some JUNK characters before &amp; after the function name that show up in function prototype: &nbsp; &nbsp; long <a href="mailto:?EcpvsSign@@YAHHPBEH0HPAE1@Z(long" target="_blank">?EcpvsSign@@YAHHPBEH0HPAE1@Z(long</a> Signer, CStr NonRMsg, long NonRMsgLen, CStr RMsg, long RMsgLen, CStr SigR, CStr SigS); Hi rkpat, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You might check-out <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4877" target="_blank">this</a> thread on building WIN32 DLLs - expecially the bit re: "mangles names" under the paragraph titled " C Language Source File".&nbsp; My recollection is that&nbsp;'extern "C"' directive in the header file for the DLL&nbsp;solved the name-mangling problem, but it's been a few years! :smileywink: Cheers! &nbsp;Message Edited by tbd on 03-01-2007 11:19 PM tbd wrote: Hi rkpat, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You might check-out <a ...

Can I use a DAQCard-6533 with LabVIEW 7.1?
Hello, I would like to use a DAQCard-6533 with LabVIEW 7.1. I want to use it in my iPAQ 2210 and also in my laptop with Windows XP. Is this possible? Many thanks, Max Max, Greeting. Yes, you can use your DAQCard-6533 with LabVIEW 7.1. You also want to make sure you are using the right driver. You can find the most recent drivers here: http://www.ni.com/support/daq/versions.htm Additionally, that card will work great in your laptop with the normal NI-DAQ driver. However, it is not currently supported for PocketPC. The PocketPC requires use of the NI-DAQmx Base Driver. Here are the li...

how to use memo datatype in msaccess in the labview 7.1
dear all i want to save 801 data values in one cell of the field of a ms access .but the option are OLE here i can't see the data values only long binary information is displayed &amp; also while reading i can't read too.its giving invalid data type.the orther option is memo which has a limitation of 64k character that would serve the purpose but&nbsp; i want to know how to write to the database &amp; then again read from the database Hi, The recommended way to access MS Access or any database is to use the <a href="http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/6429" target="_blank">Database Connectivity Toolkit</a>. The toolkit is recommended because it is fast and very easy to use. Here ia a <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3563" target="_blank">tutorial note</a> about it. If you don't have the Database Connectivity Toolkit, you can use ActiveX to access it by using Automation Open. This can be found by going to function palette &gt;&gt; Connectivity &gt;&gt; Automation Open. Once you have that on your block diagram, right click on it highlight select class, choose ActiveX, select browse. On the drop down menu, select either Microsoft ADO (ActiveX Data Object) or Microsoft DAO (Data Access Object). Both of them can be used to access the database. Once all that is set up, right click on the automation reference input and create a control.There are examp...

LabView 7.1.1 + DAQMX
I want to know Wheter I can use task created using DAQMX using LabVIEW 7.1.1 can be inovked either by VB.net or VB6 if yes than how:) Secondly How can i used the traditional DAQ with VB.net or VB6, It would be&nbsp; helpful if any body can provide some info or weblink on this topic. Regards Nadeem <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=327317" target="_blank">duplicate post</a> ...

LabView 7.1 and MATLAB 7
LabView 7.1 hangs when I try to send variable to MATLAB 7 workspace using standart LabView to MATLAB script. Nothing appears in MATLAB 7 workspace. When I tried to run the MATLAB Script-Fractal.vi (MATLAB script node has only outputs) from examples directory - everything work fine. When I run the MATLAB Script - Lorenz Diff Eq.vi from examples - error message appears:"Error 1047 occurred at LabVIEW: LabVIEW failed to send variable to the script server. Server:"Inappropriate input array size" in MATLAB Script - Lorenz Diff Eq.vi". Using LabView 7.1 with previous version of ...

Web resources about - 100% CPU using LabView 7.1 and DSC module - comp.lang.labview

LabVIEW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LabVIEW (short for Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench) is a system-design platform and development environment for a visual ...

LabVIEW - Geekosystem
Don we now our gay apparel, and why shouldn’t that apparel be primarily composed of Christmas lights synchronized to flash with music ? Andy ...

National Instruments - LinkedIn
Welcome to the company profile of National Instruments on LinkedIn. It's not what we make. It's what we make possible. National Instruments is ...

Products / Home - g.tec - Guger Technologies
g.tec medical and electrical engineering produces biosignal amplifiers, data acquisition systems, real-time processing systems and EEG Processing ...

School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering - Computing Facilities
In particular, we have technical interests in common with the other Engineering Schools (Chemical, Civil & Environmental, Mechanical and Computer ...

Handy Arduino Uno R3 Pinout Diagram

Curriculum Vitae - Stefano Meroli
Curriculum Vitae - Stefano Meroli

Testing Engineering Supervisor
Testing Engineering Supervisor job. Read the Testing Engineering Supervisor job description and find other Division 10 Personnel jobs at Monster. ...

Knowledge and Content Management: A Foundation for Business Success
Knowledge management and enterprise content management are increasingly at the center of a successful business strategy.