can LabView talk to USB devices by PC USB?

We have USB hardware that connects to the PC via the USB port which I
would control by LV.
Does a pll is exiting for this type of application?
0
x9561 (148440)

I am far from being quaified to answer this, but I can tell you this
much.

Due to the low level nature of USB, LabVIEW has no way of talking to a
generic USB device.  If the devices is one of the standard classes
(Human Interface Device for example), then there are Win32 functions
you can call - although I have no clue where these are located.  If
not, you almost always need drivers for the device which provide
custom DLLs.  If you do not have this then you might be able to write
your own with the MS DDK and C/C++ etc.

Sorry I do not have better information.  USB is very complicated,
which makes a standard interface almost impossible to provide.

Good luck!
0
x9561 (148440)
8/20/2003 10:40:13 PM
Hello,

John is correct.  LabVIEW has no capability to provide generic
communication with the USB bus.  Please visit the following site for
more information:
<a
href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/42B604435E3F9604862565E20043CD30?OpenDocument">Can
I Use Third-Party USB or IEEE 1394 (FireWire) Devices with
LabVIEW?</a>

If you have a device driver for your instrument to communicate with
LabVIEW, you will be able to interface with your USB device, but there
are no generic VIs for USB communication.

Hope this helps!

Liz Fausak

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0
x9561 (148440)
8/21/2003 2:49:46 PM
Though I don't have any USB instruments yet, I believe that the new
functions are only for instruments that comply with the USBTMC (USB
Test & Measurement Class) and are not generic USB drivers. See the
news release <A
href="http://digital.ni.com/worldwide/bwcontent.nsf/web/all/A583700F1BDD31FB86256D1E0076532A">here</A>.
I would think that the information in the article would still apply to
all other USB devices.
0
x9561 (148440)
8/22/2003 5:48:40 PM
Hello Al,

You're right.  I had overlooked the new VISA USB VIs.  These can be
used similar to the other VISA functions, providing a direct link to
the USB port instead of having to go through a GPIB or similar
interface.

I'll work on updating and expanding on our documentation.  Thanks!

Liz Fausak

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0