control labview remotely

I am in the process of designing a home automation software program using labview.  I don't know a lot about networking so I need some help.  I have digital IO boards that I want to contol a relay bank to control my home equipment, that part I know how to do.  Right now I can use remote desktop connection to control my VI running on another computer.  What I want is to have one computer running my main program and contolling my digital IOs.  I want to be able to see this VI running in real time and contol it from anywhere on any computer which should be possible.  I think if I have the main computer be a server computer running server 2003 I think it has its own kind of remote desktop connection.  What I don't like about using remote desktop connection is when you log into the other computer it logs that computer off.  I want to be able to see what is happening in real time.  So I could be standing beside the server computer running the VI and log onto it with my wireless laptop and watch live as I turn on different digital outputs.  Does this seem possible?  I know of a guy that was really good with PLCs and he had PLCs running his entire house with live video and everything.  He could get online and control the PLC from anywhere in the world.  He is from Ohio teaching a class in St. Louis and he logged onto his computer in Ohio and could see inside his house on video cameras and turn his lights on and off.  That is what I want to do but no one knows how to do it.  I want to do what this guy did but I want to use labview and digital IO instead of a PLC because it is more versatile.

Does anyone have any good ideas or even any sites or anything that could help me.  I can't even find any good info on how to use a usb video camera in Labview.  This shouldn't be that hard, I should be able to buy a generic usb video camera from best buy and bring it home and see live video on my VI panel in no time.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
0
x9561 (148439)

To Labview or not to labview
I am facing a large decision, to continue developement with labview or to m= ove on to .NET or Delphi. <br>The desire to move comes from the simple fac= t that .NET and Delphi applications 'look' more like windows applications b= oth in appearance and operation. What I am talking about are the menus for= file, edit,printing that we are so used to with such packages as Excel and= the like.<br>I tend to use labview in the following way: write an applica= tion and distribute it to MANY clients running everything from 98 to XP. I= just feel labview is moving away from th...

How do you control seperate motors with Labview through a remote control?
Forgive me if I am not typing the question correctly, or if it is a stupid question. I am only fourteen and only started learning about Labview.. I would appreciate all help possible. Thanks What type of motors are you trying to control?&nbsp; How do you have them/plan to have them connected to your computer?&nbsp; When you say you want to control remotely, do you mean that you don't want them connected to a computer or that you want to communicate remotely through your computer (no cables)?&nbsp; The more information you can give the better help you will receive. Cheers Hi L...

labview remote control
Hi all, I'm looking a general way to control remotely a LV (or LVRT) program using a C++ (or similar) software like I can do with the webserver. Someone could help me with explications and examples? Thank you in advance, Alessandro I don't think there is a way to do this directly (without using Internet Explorer), but one way that might work in theory is to send the remote front panel object to Internet Explorer as you normally would and then write code to access those Internet Explorer objects in the other environment. Again, this has not been tested but should work in theory. ...

How can i use labview.tlb to control Labview from an external application?
Hi, I've been told by a labview engineer that i could use the file labview.tlb located in the labview install folder to control labview from an external application (in my case, a C# app). I'm using Labview 6.1 under Windows 2000. This article confirms that: "ActiveX and LabVIEW" http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/5401BE584FBAEECE862567C2006D36C7?opendocument But i've not been able to find out how to use this file to achieve what i want. I just want to be able to open/close labview, open/close a vi, start/stop a vi, hide/show a vi from a C# application. Th...

Using the cFP controller with only LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but no LabVIEW RT
I have a cFP-2020 controller and cPF-AI-100 modules which I intend to use in a small project. I do have LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but I dont have LabWIEW RT software. Is it possible to use the cPF controller with only just LabVIEW? if yes, I would like to be advised how. Thanks Dear Chuma, It is not possible to&nbsp;set up your system without Labview realtime module. There are system integrators who can build a executable for you. You can search for a alliance member by using the following link; <a href="http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niaa.search_display" target="_b...

change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW
change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW hi, I am Interfacing a FrameGrabber with LabVIEW using a frame grabber SDK(dll). The memory managment of this FG allow you to allocate your own Array and to give a pointer to this Array to the memory manager. Then when you acquire with the frame grabber, the acquired image will be directly accessible in your array. 1.I give to the FG memory manager a pointer to the Labview array through a SDK Dll function. 2. I run the acquisition 3. I display the array My problem is that the Array is allways displayed with it initial val...

Remote monitoring and control of a Labview program
I would like to control and monitor my robot program written in LV version 6.1. It runs inside a professional firewall at my company. I need to see and control the main VI and any other VI's that may pop up on the "target" machine from my home PC. Can this be done in a secure way? PS: I only know my own IP address, the target IP address is probably not available to me due to firewall protection. Also I am not expert in TCP/IP protocol. LV6.1 does have built in functions for remote control or remote viewing (faster) through an Internet browser or another PC running LV. I don...

can Labview 7.0 control an instrument without the labview driver?
hellow,i have an instrument which do not have the labview driver,its output signal is RS232,so can i use labview7.0 to read the signal? thanks! Another possible option is to use the Instrument I/O Assistant. It is an interactive tool that generates Instrument I/O and response parsing code for you. It is very helpful in establishing a connection and helping parse instrument response data. It is pretty high level and basic, so if you want to utilize any special serial VISA functionality it may not go as deep as you would like - but it can definitely help get you started. ...

Construct remote control cct with Labview (RS232)
I doing a inspection system for checking my company audio product. For IR transmitting, I'm using a universal remote controller now. I would like replace it by using a circuitry and Labview(RS232). So whichever signal I need to send, I just key into the program. I need help to kick start for this Labview remote control. Thanks. Hi Norman, first of all think about the protokoll: How much circuitry do you want to implement? the RS232 protokoll is not very flexible (it's ment to be a standard!), so if your IR protokoll don't uses one start bit, (5?-)7-8 Databit, Parity, Stopbit etc y...

how to send a command from a vc++.exe to LABVIEW.exe in order to control the button on the LABVIEW.exe
Hello, everyone. Using VC++, I have gotten the handle of a *.exe(built by Labview), but I cannot get the button handle. I want to get the button handle and post the message to control the button. How can I do that? When I use the SPY++, the *.exe(built by Labview) have not any child windows which is very different from the *.exe(built by VC++). In SPY++, what is the LVDChild class? How can I send the message to control the button on *.exe(built by Labview)??? &nbsp; That is &nbsp;to send a command from a vc++.exe to LABVIEW.exe in order to control the button on the LABVIEW.exe. How ...

DSC module 7.1 labview 7.1, new controls and functions not showing up in labview
Dear Reader, I have installed labview 7.10 (also tried update to 7.11) and DSC module 7.1 I thought I would get additional functions and controls in labview due to installation of this module, but I do not see addtional controls or functions, althought I have searched for them and set the controls to "advance" etc. Anyone any idea what I have to do. thanks and regards. ...

Can LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.0 control LabVIEW 6.1 VIs?
I'm attempting to remotely control a LabVIEW 6.1 example VI through the browser plugin on another system. On that other system, can I use LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.0? Or do I need 6.1? Never mind, I should have read the RTE 7.0 information first. I need LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 6.1 to run LabVIEW 6.1 VIs. I have found that LVRTE 7 does support EXEs built using LV 6x. ...

Can Labview control remote GPIB instruments with Modems?
My company has a new walkie talkie system called TETRA. Nokia THR850 is the TETRA handset model we are using. According to the user manual of the handset, it can be used as a modem. Please click the link below for some information of the handset. http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,1482,00.html If LabView could control my remote GPIB instruments with this handset, I would be able to acquire data from anywhere to my office, which would save me a lot of effort. Please let me know if this is possible? If yes, what is the simplest way? I am a mechanical engineer with limited electronics and progra...

How to easily control multiple controls in labview
How can I easily control multiple controls with a single write to in Labview? For instance, I need to update 50 different boolean indicators. When I update them one at a time I use a cntrl refrence in my event structure, but outside of an event structure how can I easily cycle through them and update without making 50 local variables if I need to do them all at once? Have a look at the example attached <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;view=by_date_ascending&amp;message.id=204328#M204328" target="_blank">here</a>, which can...

Web resources about - control labview remotely - comp.lang.labview

Remotely triggered earthquakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. The further one gets from the initiating earthquake in both space and time, the more controversial is the association. The physics involved ...

New Security Features Lets Users End Active Facebook Sessions Remotely
Facebook is rolling out a new security allowing users to remotely log out of any Facebook session active on another device. If a user logs in ...

Screens VNC - Access Your Computer Remotely on the App Store on iTunes
Get Screens VNC - Access Your Computer Remotely on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

M153/A1/A2 Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station (CROWS) - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The M153 Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station (CROWS) is a stabilized mount that contains a sensor suite and fire control software, allowing ...

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It - YouTube
Two hackers have developed a tool that can hijack a Jeep over the internet. WIRED senior writer Andy Greenberg takes the SUV for a spin on the ...

Rupert Murdoch takes to the skies with a remotely-piloted 'quadcopter' drone
In the wake of News Corp's foundation-shaking phone hacking trial, the thought of Rupert Murdoch at the helm of his own aerial spy drone is enough ...

Tesla Suit means that one day you'll be able to hug your partner remotely
A UK studio has developed a prototype suit that gives all-over body touch sensations, and is compatible with virtual reality.

Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.4 million US vehicles to prevent hacking after researchers remotely 'killed' ...
Fiat Chrysler will recall 1.4 million vehicles in the US to install software to prevent hackers from gaining remote control of the engine, steering ...

37signals Works Remotely
We talk a lot about working remotely. Over 70% of our employees work remotely. They work out of homes, coffee shops, and co-working spaces. They ...

Xbox One SmartGlass app adds ability to buy & install Xbox games remotely, more
... updated its Xbox One SmartGlass app for iPhone and iPad today with a few interesting new features including the ability to purchase and remotely ...