Copy data from access database (JET) to sql server problem

This may or may not be a labview problem, but I have a set of data which has an issue if I try to copy the data from within access (2003) to an mssql (2000 sp3?) database.  I was wondering if anyone else had this problem when trying to move to a different db?

I am just doing a "Insert into sqldb values select * from accessdb" command, which works find from access to access, and from access to sql within sql, but not access to sql from within access.
0
x9561 (148442)

Britoa, Are you performing these commands in LabVIEW or from some other DB Admin tool?  I wasn't sure if you were using LV to perform these operations or not, from your last sentence when you said from within access.
0
x9561 (148442)
6/9/2008 7:40:09 PM
The commands are using access, but I was seeing if anyone else came across such issues with labview saved data (it's a flattened cluster)  The data saves and loads within labview just fine from both SQL and the accessDB, but when trying to move the data from access to sql, I get those issues.  It's... strange.
0
x9561 (148442)
6/9/2008 8:10:07 PM
Britoa, Take a look at <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=256336" target="_blank">this post</a>, it has some links that may prove useful.
0
x9561 (148442)

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

Copying Data from Access to SQL Server
I need an automated procedure to copy data from an Access table to a SQL Server table. Speed is important. What is the recommended technique? I can export the data from Access, copy it via FTP, then import it into SQL Server. I've tried that, and the speed is acceptable. It is an ugly solution, however, and I expect to find a better one -- preferably a solution better integrated with the Access RDBMS. I've tried using an ODBC connection and an INSERT query. That's a good, clean technique, but is extremely slow (about 10x slower than the file copy technique). I've also tried ...

Fresh SQL Server 2005 giving problem in accessing access 97 file through Jet Ole DB Provider
Problem:Jet 4.0 Ole DB Provider stops working the momemt SQL 2005 server is installed. Environmental steps: 1.Installed XP Sp2 2.Installed SQL 2005 Server with SP1 3.Trying to import data from an access 97 file Actual problem:The linked server gets created but when try to read data we get attached error The problem displayed is following [02/19/07 18:24:47]: Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "MGMTREPORTS". OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for li...

Problem connecting to SQL Server from Access Database
Dear all, We recently migrated a SQL database from one server to another. Now, when you try to run some code in an Access Database which links to the SQL one, you get a 3704 error "Operation is not allowed when the object is closed". I think this means that the connection between the Access DB and SQL Server has not been made. - The IP address of the new server is the same as the old one and the host file on the client PCs has been updated to reflect the name change. - The server name in the connection details has been changed to the new server name in the constants section of ou...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express
Two Windows 2003 server, one with SQL 2005 server, another with SQL Express. Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Thanks. Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes: > Two Windows 2003 server, > one with SQL 2005 server, > another with SQL Express. > > Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway. On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb). ...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Re: Accessing legacy data via MS SQL Server linked servers
Chuck, You might talk to MBFoster. They may have a solution for you. Imagesql has odbclink/se but I'm not sure if this will do the job for you. Imagesql is available to 7.0 and 7.5 users. I have found in some cases that MSAccess does a quick job of access legacy data with odbclink/se...(but that is going thur Imagesql). JDBC, java, perl may be another solution. These have classes for image. Hope this helps Cathlene Mc Rae HP Sr Response Center Engineer. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/arc...

SqlSpec

Copying SQL Server databases
I'm responsible for an MS Access system for medical research. Researchers use laptops to record information in the field, which is then transferred via data stick to a server. Per the terms of the grant that pays for the system, and also by the manager's preference, for security's sake all computers used in the process are non-networked. Therefore the transfer has to take place via physical media. Access security has now been cracked by utilities that are publicly available. We would like to move the data to SQL Server. My question is, how difficult is it to copy a SQL Server ...

Transfering data from SQL Server Standard to SQL Server Express
Hello folks, Are there any tools that can transfer database and it's content from SQL Server Standard version to SQL Server Express database? I tried to backup database in SQL Server Standard and then restore it into SQL Server Express but it didn't work. Are there any tools that can extract SQL clauses to create database, tables and data inserts into file? Or any other method to transfer database/ data from SQL Server Standard to SQL Server Express? Cheers, (tapsavirtanen@yahoo.com) writes: > I tried to backup database in SQL Server Standard and then restore it > into SQL S...

Access and SQL Server
i recently started using .adp project file in access 2003 with sql server 2000 as backend. when using regular .mdb in access 2003, i could call a module in a query simply by writing for example: Calc: Sum(A,B) where i had a function in VBA for example: Public Function Sum(A,B) .... A=40 B=60 ...... Sum=A+B End Function i was wondering how i can do the same thing using Access2003 ADP and SQL Server 2000. when i try it now writing Calc: Sum(A,B) in a view or function i get an error like unrecognized function. any help would be much appreciated. thanks. CORRECTION: i recently started using .a...

Accessing external data from SQL Server
Hi, I have a Sybase dataserver containing lots of (huge) tables that I would like to access from SQL Server (two different applications, using two different datasources, now want to talk to each other). MS Access has a feature for 'linking' external data. Can I do similar stuff in SQL Server? Basically, I am trying to avoid having to duplicate the data in both the dataservers and worry about keeping them in sync. Regards, Tanveer <arshad.tanveer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174488978.618140.16840@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I have a Sybase dataserver co...

Importing Access databases into SQL Server
Hi there, I have a situation where an application needs to import data from number of access mdb files on a daily bases. The file names change every day. The data import is very straight forward: insert into sql_table select * from acess_table There are up to 8 tables in each access file and some access files will have less. So the process needs to figure out which tables exist in Access mdb file and import them whole into sql staging tables. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks It probably depends where you're running the load process from - that's not really clear (t...

Accessing an SQL Server Database with VB
I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server database. How difficult is this to do in VB? Is there some built-in compatibility between the two? Any suggestions about a book to buy would be much appreciated. The one I'm looking at now is Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic Developers by Thearon Willis. I've had experience with VB but none with SQL server. Thanks, Corey <caramelboy586@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1114104259.357833.240460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server &...

Updating SQL Server Database from Access
I'm taking over an SQL Server database which is often updated with data from an Access database. Knowing little about either, this simple task has become a challenge. I'm told that the previous person used to type some simple SQL commands and this would update the SQL server database but the commands have been lost and the previous person is unavailable. The Access database has exactly the same column names as the SQL-server database and it is something simple like: Control ID Phone Name Address1 Address2 Does anyone know the SQL commands to do this kind of SQL server database upd...

copy a database from one SQL server to another.
Hello: I'm new in the SQL server world. But I need to copy one SQL database on machineA to machineB. By looking at the tool bar, I think export will do the job for me, is anybody can provide the detail info? DO I need to create an empty database on MachineB first, any documentation repository I can read and learn? Thank you so much! Sincerely, QG Three different approaches can be found in the following links: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304692 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q224071 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

OT: Copying a SQL Server database to MSDE
A potential client has asked us to look at modifying his current system that uses SQL Server for its database. Ideally I'd like to take a copy of his production database and load it into MSDE on one of our machines so we can have a look at it. I have downloaded a copy of Geoff SQLMaster that looks as though it will do everything and more that I need with MSDE. Unfortunately I am forbidden to load it onto the production server at this stage. What do I need to do with a live database to take a copy that can be loaded into MSDE? Sorry to be so clueless but there is a first ti...

Conditional data copy SQL Server to Oracle
I wonder if anyone could offer some guidelines on the following problem? I need to transfer records from a SQL Server table to an 'equivalent' Oracle table; however if the primary key for any record already exists in the target table, the source record is skipped. I want this process to be executed via an Access front-end to the SQL Server. What I'd roughed out was the following: (1) The Access front-end contains a form with a button or simply a menu option which fires off some VBA code (2) The code runs a stored procedure on SQL Server back-end (I have some sample code to do t...

Database back end
Hi. I am writing a web app for a small company with 50 employees for their payroll and sales. Should I use SQL Server or Access as the database? Kevin ...

ODBC access to sql 2000 server problem
Hi, all, I have license for SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC and SAS/ACCESS Interface to ORACLE. Last time to access Oracle table on my WAN, at a remote physical location, I ran this piece of code and it worked fine. " libname so oracle user=ann7 password=1234 path='@oracle.world'; proc sql; create stay as select * from so.table1; quit; run ;" Since I don't have ACCESS Interface to SQL server, I tried different code this time " proc setinit; run ; option obs=10000; libname m2 '/money/sasdata/'; libname ms odbc NOPROMPT="DRIVER=SQ...

Access to Progress data files from SQL Server
All, Hello. Glad I found this group. :) I've got a backup of a Progress 8.3 database that I need to access and eventually port into MS SQL Server. Haven't figured out a way to do this, and any/all help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Dave As far as I know, nothing can read a Progress 8.3 database, except Progress 8.3, on the same platform it was created on. (you can't reliably read an 8.3 Unix database with Windows 8.3.) Once you get a Progress environment to work with, you'll want to dump the data. This will put the data into ascii files that you can work with. "Matisse" <mostly5@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135480383.702974.19580@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > All, > > Hello. Glad I found this group. :) > > I've got a backup of a Progress 8.3 database that I need to access and > eventually port into MS SQL Server. > > Haven't figured out a way to do this, and any/all help anyone can > provide will be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks! > > Dave > In article <1135480383.702974.19580@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Matisse" <mostly5@gmail.com> wrote: > All, > > Hello. Glad I found this group. :) > > I've got a backup of a Progress 8.3 database that I need to access and > eventually port into MS SQL Server. > > Haven't figured out a way to do this...

Backing Up Ones SQL-Server Data as Jet
I have a tiny db on a remote sql server. The owner of the sever backs up the db daily, but these backups are not freely available to me. I want my data (only my data) backed up in some form that is accessible to me. I have an adp. It exists only to connect to the remote db. I have an mdb. It has a form. The form opens on the db�s opening. This is the code behind the form. It zaps any tables in the mdb. It examines the tables in the adp. It imports them. It copies them to a backup device. It closes the db and the access application. I have not tried this with any medium or large sized db, only with a tiny db. I expect it would take too long with a larger db; for a few tables and a few hundred records it takes about 11 seconds. I open the db through Windows scheduling every Sunday at 04:00, os even if it took an hour I would not be inconvenienced. It has worked without incident for several weeks now. I could modify it to back up SPROCs, VIEWs and FUNCTIONs but I don�t need that. So, it gives me my data in JET, without intervention. (Gee, I hope I haven't posted this before, but I think not.) Option Compare Database Option Explicit Const ADPFile As String = "F:\Access\SomeBooks.adp" Const Backupfile As String = "E:\SomeBooks.mdb" Const b As String = "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB.1;" _ & "PERSIST SECURITY INFO=FALSE;" _ & "INITIAL CATALOG=DB_A0A0A0;" _ & "DATA SOURCE=Some.Remote.S...

copying files from SQL Server to network problem
I am linked into a SQL Server using OLEDB and I'm trying to copy some data sets to a different location. Using 'proc datasets' or 'proc copy' did not work, but creating new data sets with a data step did. Does anyone know why? Does it have something to do with the link into SQL Server? Thanks. 8 proc datasets nolist; 9 copy in=3Doutbreak out=3Dob; 10 select email outbreak phone state; 11 quit; ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.email (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but = appears on a SELECT statement. ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.outbreak (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but appears on a SELECT statement. ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.phone (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but = appears on a SELECT statement. ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.state (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but = appears on a SELECT statement. NOTE: Statements not processed because of errors noted above. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. NOTE: PROCEDURE DATASETS used (Total process time): real time 4.21 seconds user cpu time 0.37 seconds system cpu time 0.86 seconds Memory 80k 11 ! run; 12 proc copy in=3Doutbreak out=3Dob; 13 select email outbreak phone state; 14 run; ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.email (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but = appears on a SELECT statement. ERROR: The file OUTBREAK.outbreak (memtype=3DALL) was not found, but appears on a SELECT statement...

Web resources about - Copy data from access database (JET) to sql server problem - comp.lang.labview