Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database

Hello,

I have been working on a automated test system storing data into a SQL server database.  Once you get your head wrapped around the toolkit and walk through some of the examples it is not too bad.  Writing to the database was very straight forward.  I simply put all of my data including the primary keys into a cluster and inserted the cluster into the specified table.  As I learned the hard way,  it is very important for all of your types to match up.  I saved double type from labview as decimal type in the SQL database, and long integer in labview as integer in the SQL database.

For the the read VI, this is where my questions lie. After establishing a connection reference I used the "DB Tools Create Parameterized Query" VI combined with a SQL statement to find the recordset that I was looking for.  I used a standard SQL statement using the primary keys such as, "Select * From TableName Where Measurements = "%Measurements%" ".  This VI creates a command reference which I then passed to multiple "DB Tools Get Parameter Value" VIs.  I could not get this to work with the command reference.

I then switched over to the "DB Tools Execute Query" inputting the same SQL statement I had used before.  THis VI passed a recordset reference, which I then passed to a "DB Tools Get Properties" VI to check if the database was empty or not.  I then passed the recordset reference to multiple "DB Tools Fetch Element Data"  VI's to read the data from the SQL database.  THis worked very well.

therefore I am wondering:
What is the difference between a command reference and a recordset reference in the Database connectivity toolkit?
Why would one work and not the other?
Is there ever a case when you would want to use one method over the other?
I have asked my app guys and Labview training instructor different database type questions, and I not received a decent answer to date.

Thanks,

Jackson
0
x9561 (148438)

Hello,

Can you pass the command reference to a single "DB Tools Get Parameter Value" VI?  What exactly do you mean when you say you couldn't get this to work with command references... can you post an error message or the results?  The documented difference is that they are different flavors of ADOs (activeX data objects), one is a command and the other is a recordset reference.  I know this does not draw a precise distinction, but I'd like to understand this problem fully so we can find one!

Please repost with anything more you can give!

Best Regards,

JLS
0
x9561 (148438)
8/16/2005 8:40:58 PM
check out msdn.microsoft.com for documentation on ado.  you can
browse around the whole structure to see how it all works.   Also,
look for visual basic examples to see how it is used.   Its been a
while since I've used the database connection toolkit.  after
having a bunch of trouble with it I decided to learn ado and dig into
using activeX directly - its not so bad and its quite stable and
fast.  .net is nice if you have a driver for your database - no
variants.  msdn has good documentation on that too.
0
x9561 (148438)

Transferring Data from MSDE Database to SQL 2000 Database
Hi all, Here is my situation. I have an application that uses SQL 2000. The client has a program that uses MSDE. The client MUST have the MSDE version of the Database. What I have done is to create a SQL 2000 Database that is exactly like the MSDE version. What I wish to do, is at regularly scheduled intervals, update the SQL 2000 Data with the newest MSDE Data. On my clients server, they have both MSDE and SQL 2000 installed the msde has a user name and password to access it, whereas the SQL 2000 uses authenticated mode to access it. What I'm trying to do is to write a bunch of SQL Queries, that I can run that will copy over the new Data, but I'm having problems accessing the msde database in query analyzer from the SQL Database Can anyone give me hints on the best way to try this Thanks Scott [posted and mailed, please reply in news] (smahler@datexmedia.com) writes: > Here is my situation. > I have an application that uses SQL 2000. The client has a program > that uses MSDE. The client MUST have the MSDE version of the Database. > What I have done is to create a SQL 2000 Database that is exactly like > the MSDE version. What I wish to do, is at regularly scheduled > intervals, update the SQL 2000 Data with the newest MSDE Data. > > On my clients server, they have both MSDE and SQL 2000 installed > the msde has a user name and password to access it, whereas the SQL > 2000 uses authenticated mode to access it. > >...

How to read certain span of data from SQL-database ?
Hi All,   I'm using LV 8.5 with Database Connectivity Toolset   My aim is read certain time span data from MySQL-database. Let's assume that I have rocorded data from 1.1.2008 to 25.1.2008. My database table contain two columns "timestamp" and "data". How  I can select  e.g. span 20.1.2008 10:00 - 21.1.2008 14:00? I think that I have to use VI "Select Data" and write something to connector "optional clause". I can't find any example how to write clauses to this connector.   I managed to select all data but that consumes quite much CPU time and I usually need only smaller data sets.   BR,   Jim   The VI DB Tools Select Data has an input called (at the top) called "optional clause". You can wire an SQL predicate to this input that control the rows that are returned by the VI. In your case, you want to use what's called a WHERE clause to filter the rows to be the subset you need.For the toy database I was playing with I had to set the optional clause to: "where startdate > #3/1/2008#" to make the VI return rows which had a startdate field of later than 01-Mar-2008. I was using the JET DB engine, not sure if the same syntax will work for other SQL engines, so your mileage may vary. :-)Let me know if you need more information or want to take a look at my example VI.Cheers!...

Accessing a Microsoft SQL 2000 database using Labview Database Connectivity Kit
Hello people,,,... i am new to Labview Database Connectivity Kit. Currently, I Have created a Database using Microsoft SQL 2000, but i am not sure how to let my labview program read and write to this database i have created.... So far, I have only suceeded in using the Database Toolkit to read/write to a Microsoft Access DataBase, but not a Microsoft SQL 2000 Database. thanks a lot... terence There's an online PowerPoint presentation that can help you get started using the SQL commands for the Database Toolkit in LabVIEW, which you can access <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/learningcenter.nsf/03f7c60f17aad210862567a90054a26c/f1cdf7a07969485086256936005a3609?OpenDocument" target="_blank">here</a>. Also browse through some SQL database examples and white papers from the <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzone.nsf/webcategories/0F9EE47C28AA0628862567AC004EDCE3" target="_blank">Database section of the Developer's Zone</a>. ...

How to import from external SQL database to local SQL database
Hello everyone. I have two machines that have SQL Express on them. I have developed a SQL database with two tables, and a lot of data, on my laptop. I want to copy that database and make it available to my local desktop machine. How can I export or save the database on the laptop and then import it so that I can use it on the desktop? ...

which Database toolkit is better? LV built-in database toolkit or LabSQL open source toolkit?
I m quite new to using Database with LabVIEW so here is my question... which one is better to use among those 2?My intended application includes daily logging of data, backing up daily/weekly and import/export data to/from other computers.Thanks.Message Edited by m_min on 04-15-2008 11:51 PM m_min wrote:I m quite new to using Database with LabVIEW so here is my question... which one is better to use among those 2?My intended application includes daily logging of data, backing up daily/weekly and import/export data to/from other computers.Thanks.Message Edited by m_min on 04-15-2008 11:51 PMWell, they are both reasonably good, have both their quirks and can be both made to work for almost anything you may want to do with databases. The difference is in price and in support. With the NI Toolkit you pay something but do get usually fairly good support both from NI as well as other users that are familiar with it. LabSQL support is limited to other users who I think are by far a smaller number than for the NI Toolkit.So even here I think you can say you get what you pay for. If you feel comfortable digging into DAO/ADO and learning how it all works and possibly tweaking some VIs to work the way you need them to, then LabSQL is certainly not a bad choice. Otherwise I think the Database Toolkit might be a better choice. As they are both based on accessing the ActiveX interface of ADO they are technically quite comparable, just the integration into LabVIEW is maybe a little furth...

Saving arrays to database with database toolkit
Is it possible to save a cell array to a database without having to manually break it up by individual cells? Using this as an example, would there be a way to just save A as a varbinary type, and then when it is read back, it will still contain this data, or must cells 1 and 2 each be saved to their own column in a database? Thanks A(1,1) = {[1 4 3; 0 5 8; 7 2 9]}; A(1,2) = {'Anne Smith'}; ...

Database Connectivity Toolset-Fetching Data from Database

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

Import Data from flat-database to relational-database
Before I start I need some tips and pleas excuse my bad english. I have two databases, one is flat and one is a relational database. example database 1 name surname street city country example database 2 table NAME prim_key name surname table ADDRESS adr_key street city country Both databases are filled with existing records. I want to import from time to time records from the flat database to the relational database. Whats the best way to do this with filemaker? I also could use a relational database instead of the flat one, but i think the problem resulting from that is, how to c...

Appending data to a master database from another database
How can I, without using Replication technology, append a table in my master database from data in another database? I have several field offices with sales data that I want, on demand, to append up to my home office Master database... any ideas? Thanks!!!! Dav On 17 Nov 2006 08:02:28 -0800, "Parasyke" <kress1963nov22@yahoo.com> wrote: Attach tables from the Child database to the Master, and run Append queries. Or forego the table attachments and use the IN clause to specify the Child database. Off the top of my head: insert into MyTable select * from MyTable IN 'c:\test\child.mdb' -Tom. >How can I, without using Replication technology, append a table in my >master database from data in another database? I have several field >offices with sales data that I want, on demand, to append up to my home >office Master database... any ideas? Thanks!!!! Dav ...

Data Transfer from Collation CI Database to a CS Database
I have a client who was installed improperly on a Case Insensitive Collation SQL system and have been working with this system for over a year. For them to move forward in application software versions, they will need to be reinstalled on a Case Sensitive SQL system. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and was willing to provide information that may be of assistance? I have tried various some options within DTS but without success. It would be useful to know which version(s) of MSSQL you are using, as 2000 is quite flexible in how you can work with collations, compared to previous versions. If you're moving the database to a new server, you may be able to simply backup/restore, provided that the collations are compatible. If you're reinstalling the same server as CS, then you'll need to rebuild the master DB with the new collation and then restore the databases, again if the collations are compatible. There are plenty of issues which may arise when you move from CI to CS. In particular, code which was written on a CI system tends to be very inconsistent about object and variable names (dbo.Table, dbo.table, dbo.TAble...) - this will break code and views. Also, string operations will behave very differently, which may change the functionality of your applications in unexpected ways. I investigated this once (moving SQL6.5 CI to SQL2000 CS), and we decided it wasn't worth the effort. It was a lot less work to code for case-sensitivity in the places ...

Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database
I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local server and I have also its equivalent as an online database. I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and then to upload the data (at least the amended data, but given the small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database. I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of this and I am wondering what else I might use which might be less complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities. I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once weekly or at less frequent intervals, Best wishes, John Morgan Since my first message I have investigated replication further and it does not seem as complicated as first thought and I have successfully carried out a snapshot replication on my local server. the main disadvantage of replication now seems to be that my online sql database provider charges $50 for providing a replication facility (presumably for enabling a push subscription) The payment is not significant providing replication is the way to to go for the occasional updating of an online server from my local server. Best wishes, John Morgan Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:32:40 GMT, John Morgan <jfm@XXwoo...

Reading data from oracle database
Can anyone help me on understanding how data is read from oracle database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf files from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for reading data from dbf files of oracle database. If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select * from table x' ,what all process happens next. Thanks in Advance On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:23:54 -0800, oracle user wrote: > Can anyone help me on understanding how data is read from oracle > database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf files > from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for reading data > from dbf files of oracle database. > If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select > * from table x' ,what all process happens next. Thanks in Advance Many things can happen, depending on the version of database. Short story goes like this: - User connects to the database. User session structures are allocated in SGA. - User submits SQL statement and is given a server process to service his request. Server process does its own reading but writing is delegated to the database writer(s). The allocation process is complex as the allocated server can be shared, pooled or dedicated. - The server process executes the request and returns the result to the user. How is that done also depends on the allocated server. All of this is described in the lit...

Question about move large amount of data from database to database
guys, I have a project need to move more than 100,000 records from one database table to another database table every week. Currently, users input date range from web UI, my store procedure will take those date ranges to INSERT records to a table in another database, then delete the records, but it will take really long time to finish this action (up to 1 or 2 hours). My question is if there is some other way I should do to speed up the action, I am thinking about use bcp to copy those records to datafile and then use bcp to insert it into SQL Server table. Is this the right way to do it or should I consider other solution (then, what is the solution.) Thanks a lot! On Apr 23, 2:23 pm, Lee <lee.jenkins...@gmail.com> wrote: > guys, > > I have a project need to move more than 100,000 records from one > database table to another database table every week. Currently, users > input date range from web UI, my store procedure will take those date > ranges to INSERT records to a table in another database, then delete > the records, but it will take really long time to finish this action > (up to 1 or 2 hours). > > My question is if there is some other way I should do to speed up the > action, I am thinking about use bcp to copy those records to datafile > and then use bcp to insert it into SQL Server table. Is this the right > way to do it or should I consider other solution (then, what is the > solution.) > > Thanks a lot! ...

How do I a smallint SQL database value using the Database tools?
I'm using the Database Toolset with Labview 7. I'm building up a parameterized Query to a Stored Procedure in my SQL Database. It doesn't appear that smallint output types are supported because zero is always loaded into the variable. Is this correct? I'm I doing something wrong? Feedback welcome... thanks! It's probibly not an issue with datatypes since LV has far more datatypes than most databases. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you getting the 0 when running the stored procedure? Could you perhaps post a bit of code (LV and SQL) that demonstrates the issue? Mike... ...

Sample OLAP database schema/data for MySQL database?
Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing OLAP tools? I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some of the open source OLAP products. Last I looked, Mondrian had a Sourceforge-downloadable version of the "standard" Food Mart database. Seth davout wrote: > Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing OLAP > tools? > > I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some of > the open source OLAP products. > > > -- Seth Grimes Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor grimes@altaplana.com http://altaplana.com 301-270-0795 Check out the databaseanswers website. They have a huge number of example data models. Also, google gov sites as they have many data models in pdf on the internet -- Sincerely, John K Knowledgy Consulting, LLC www.knowledgy.org knowledgy@knowledgy.org Atlanta's Business Intelligence and Knowledge Management Experts "davout" <davoutXXXYYYWWWZZZ@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:2cKdnXqh1dbQ_4PbRVnyhAA@pipex.net... > Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing > OLAP tools? > > I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some > of the open so...

Database Connectivity Toolset-Fetching Data from Database #2

Reading data from an Access database
Hello, My program will be reading data from an MS Access Database. The database has 2 tables plus a 'Query' table which combines their data. Can VBasic read data directly from the Query table, or must I read data from the 2 underlying tables separately? I have VBasic 5, learning edition. Thanks KK Hi KK, Yes Vb can read data from queries directly. If you want to obtain the data generated by the query then simply specify the query in your select string. Basically, a query is treated the same as a table (or recordset) in that it returns a collection of records. Are you using DAO or ADO? It doesn't matter in the long run but your select statement would be similar to.. "select * from table1 where ....." OR "select * from query1 where ......" HTH Martin "KK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:cq987q$c03$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk... > Hello, > > My program will be reading data from an MS Access Database. > > The database has 2 tables plus a 'Query' table which combines their data. > Can VBasic read data directly from the Query table, or must I read data from > the 2 underlying tables separately? > > I have VBasic 5, learning edition. > > Thanks > > KK > > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:30:30 GMT, "Martin Walke" <martin.walke@spamvega.co.uk> you typed some letters in random order: >Hi KK, > >Yes Vb can read data from queries d...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

TopSpeed databases loss data while used / TopSpeed databases renew itself
Hi @ all! I'm one of several testers of an clarionbased program with topspeed databases and work in a network with both NOVELL6 and Windows2000 / 2003 Servers. My client is a notebook with Windows2000 SP4 and several MS hotfixes and patches and NOVELL-Client 4.90. Installed network protocol is only TCP/IP. Since some time I have the problem that every time I start the program with that topspeed databases on the network togehter with other users after a not regular time the databases got renewed. For example I got an error message that the file at programpath "xy" (read out of an program related "ini"-file!) could not be found after some time I have opened a database browser whatever it's an ODBC-Browser using SQL or a programmed browse of the program itself (Errornumber "37" if someone knows the clarion error messages) and the program crashes. After a restart of the program, the files / databases which I last used (and some related) are completely empty. A look in the Windows Explorer on details tells me that the file had it's origin empty size and the date/timestamp is the new one of the restart. This happened NOT when I use the program ALONE on my notebook, only on network and only at the same time with other users! On the other hand, all other users can work/test the program without any problems on network until I log in. Does anyone know about this behavior or its cause? Have had anyone this kind of problem before? I scanned m...

Web resources about - Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database - comp.lang.labview

How The NFL Adds Mojo To Media With Database Marketing
The National Football League (NFL) customer database is about as diverse as it gets. Segments span season ticket holders, a millennial parent ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...

Crate Raises $4M for New Container Database Technology
The founder of Docker Inc. invests in new technology that provides a very different and very distributed way to build a container database.