Difference Between Property node and Invoke node

Hey all,
I just wanted to know the difference between Property node and Invoke node. Also could any one please let me know what does Methods exactly means. I mean there is a property node naming dbl-click (i.e. double click) in ListBox, but in Multi Column ListBox, dbl-click is not a property but a method.

so I just wanna know the difference between both.

Thank you
0
x9561 (148440)

The online help says it best:

Property Node: Gets (reads) and/or sets (writes) properties of a reference.

Invoke Node: Invokes a method or action on a reference.

Property nodes let's you set functional or cosmetic properties of items, Invoke nodes have to do with actions. All this said, sometimes the use is a bit inconsistent as in the double-click items you mentioned. I'm not sure what the reason is. ;)
0
x9561 (148440)
9/26/2005 3:40:36 PM
Properties and methods are general programming terms (not just LabVIEW's).  Here's what Microsoft has to say about these:

"In general, a property is data about an object, while a method is an action the object can be asked to perform. Some things are obviously properties, like Color and Name, and some are obviously methods, like Move and Show.
As with any facet of human endeavor, however, there's a gray area in which an argument can be made either way."
Qouted from: <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vbconisitpropertyormethod.asp" target="_blank">http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vbconisitpropertyormethod.asp</a>
-Khalid
0
x9561 (148440)

what does mean "property node and invoke node"?
I want to read excell file and could program it with refering to this discussion board. But I can't understand details of this process. For examples , What does mean to put "workbooks,visible,Displayalert"? and What does mean "open,filename,etc??"? I want to be taught this object meaning each process as minutely as possible. &nbsp; Hope your help! 設定配列読込(Excel to string table).vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152804/1/設定配列読込(Excel to string table).vi Property and invoke nodes stem from Object oriented programming where all object's have properties(values which define the object or state of the object) and methods (functions which allow the object to be manipulated or perform a routine on another object)&nbsp; in labview the property node is the equivalent of a get/set accessor of an objects property (in this case it is an activeX reference to an excel object) and the invoke node will allow you to call methods of the object.&nbsp; These notions from oo programming can be somewhat foreign to a labview programmer bet have been employed in VI server and activeX labview programming for many years.&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hi,falkpl. Thank you for your answer. I can almost understand&nbsp;an outline. In addition,?I want to be taught more Information. In opening excell, What process&nbsp;do I have to do? and Why do I have to do?(in other words, What does this command mean?) For example, First, Get automation refn...

can i create a property node of a property node?
hello - i made a small vi that im attaching to visiualize what i am wanting to do. i have two modes in my vi - one with automation on and the other off... in manual control mode. &nbsp; in automation mode...i am reading a sensor (hall effect) and when the boolean is true, then the property node of a stop motor event is automatically executed. &nbsp; if i want to be in manual mode, i don't want that property node to execute whenever the boolean reads true. i only want to be able to press the stop button manually. &nbsp; so i tried creating a property node of a property node, and chose the "disabled" property wiring a 1 constant&nbsp;into it which should be "disabled". &nbsp; anyway - i don't know if this is even possible cause i am getting an error. can i make this work or how can i turn automation off and therefore turning the property node to the stop motor off too? &nbsp; thanks! AUTOMATION CONTROL TESTING.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/171133/1/AUTOMATION CONTROL TESTING.vi Thats the problem....I do have a pn inside a case structure, so if a sensor's value is reached it automatically shuts off a motor. However, sometimes, I don't want that to automatically happen so I want the property node to be diabled or inactive. So making a pn of a pn is what I think would solve this. Is there such a thing? &nbsp; thanks! altenbach wrote: Don't overcomplicate things! ;) You don't need a prope...

The difference between new node() and new node?
now, I define the struct following: struct node { bool match; node* child[27]; }; What's the difference between 1) node *Trie=new node(); and 2) node *Trie = new node; On Sep 5, 6:52=A0pm, remlostime <remlost...@gmail.com> wrote: > now, I define the struct following: > struct node > { > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 bool match; > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 node* child[27]; > > }; > > What's the difference between > 1) node *Trie=3Dnew node(); and 2) node *Trie =3D new node; no difference. On Sep 5, 12:52 pm, remlostime <remlost...@gmail.com> wrote: > now, I de...

Inserting Nodes between Nodes

select nodes with child node A and child node B

node-node adjacency matrix to a node-arc adjacency matrix
I have been trying to figure out how to create a arc-node adjacency matrix from a node-node adjacency matrix, for example: node-node adj A = [0 1 0 1 1; 0 0 1 1 0; 0 0 0 1 1; 0 0 0 0 1; 0 0 0 0 0]; looking for the following links: 1-2,1-4,1-5,2-3,2-4,3-4,3-5,4-5 arc-node adj B =[ 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 1 1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 -1 0 1 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1 -1]; Any help will be greatly appreciated: I have tried to develop a for loop using "A" and assigning -1 to the tail end of the link but with no succes...

XSL HOWDOI use attribute of current node to select a different node?
I know I can select a node by attribute value using something like <xsl:apply-templates select="//*[@Name='Joe']"/> How can I replace Joe with an attribute from the current node? I.e., the current node has an attribute Manager="Fred". I want a select expression something like "//*[@Name='"<xsl:value-of select="@Manager"/>"']" This gives me the text I want, but I can't figure out how to embed it into the xsl:apply-templates' select. I.e., the following won't work; <xsl:apply-templates select="//*[@Name='"<xsl:value-of select="@Manager"/>"']"/> I assume it's a notational nuance I don't know yet, but which will be immediately obvious once someone shows me what it is. Thanks. CB wrote: > I know I can select a node by attribute value using something like > > <xsl:apply-templates select="//*[@Name='Joe']"/> > > How can I replace Joe with an attribute from the current node? I.e., > the current node has an attribute Manager="Fred". Use current()/@Manager instead of 'Joe'. -- Johannes Koch In te domine speravi; non confundar in aeternum. (Te Deum, 4th cent.) ...

Cluster values differ from property node value
Hi, I stumbled upon a quite odd case of Cluster values. I have a control "strict type def" which i insert into a VI. If i use the control normally ie. to flatten XML to string format the control gets me a zero value. Somehow the control has 2 sub clusters and i just have 1 subcluster. If i instead take the property node from the cluster and put it as input and output i will get the right answers. Maybe it's a "feature" for the control, but i feel that it's quite weird. If someone could explain why this is what it is. real_control.png: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/249455/1/real_control.png property_node.png: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/249455/2/property_node.png It is my experience that if you read a value property of a strict typedef, you are no longer dealing with a typedef. (Maybe that is expected, because you only want the "values"?) Use local variables of the control instead of value properties to stay with the strict datatype but it should not be necessary. One giveaway is the coercion dot on the right property node in one case. Why don't you wire the error out of "Unflatten from XML"? Maybe it wants to tell you something useful. ;) Maybe something is wrong with the XML code. DIsplay the XML string in a text indicator to see what's in it. What is your LabVIEW version? &nbsp; Still all&nbsp;methods should give you the same result. For example in the following code (Cluster is a str...

xsl variable $node/text() but $node can non-node-set help!

Updating Front Panel
I would like to know the difference(s) between these two methods of updating front panel "objects".&nbsp; I have been foraging around for answers and none have jumped right out at me.&nbsp; Does anyone have any insight, opinions, or warnings to offer?&nbsp; Maybe there is an even better way?&nbsp; Update_Control_Method11.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/306209/1/Update_Control_Method11.vi Update_Control_Method21.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/306209/2/Update_Control_Method21.vi I guess I was wondering if one method was more efficient than the other.&nbsp; I&nbsp;was also unclear as to whether the Invoke Method actually forced a switch to the UI thread; though I intuitively figured it did. I am still&nbsp; confused about how the Defer Panel Updates property works.&nbsp; The help is vague, as usual.&nbsp; It does state "When you set this property to TRUE, LabVIEW redraws any front panel objects with pending changes then defers all new requests for front panel updates."&nbsp; This led me to believe that the property should be set after making changes.&nbsp; This still leaves the question "how do I force a Panel Update when I want ?"; do I toggle this property?&nbsp; That seems retarded. Essentiallly what I'm trying to do is use a single "server" to manage some number of "dumb" front panels rather than duplicate code in each VI that may get loaded at ...

property node
Does anybody know how to get the option of xscale.oldrange in the property node. &nbsp; thank you mike Doc13.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/170050/1/Doc13.doc Is this in&nbsp;LabVIEW 8.0? &nbsp; If this is an Xcontrol, it could be custom made property ;). The labview version is 6.1. I can convert the actual real time in to seconds, but how do i use the property node to make th ex axis show the actula time. ...

invoke node
Ciao a tutti, sono un principiante con LabView. Voglio fare un'interfaccia che contenga una parte ripetuta piu' volte: penso si debba usa invoke node; ho iniziato con un semplice esempio. Base.vi: contiene un integer input and un integer output collegati tra di loro. Questi due widjet devo essere visibili sull'interfaccia principale Top.vi: usa Load.vi per generare il reference of Base.vi Run.vi: passa i parametri a Base.vi Nell'esempio che allego, per semplicita', ho inserito solo un'instanza di Base.vi...ma anche cosi' non funziona TestSubVI.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/193990/1/TestSubVI.zip Ciao a tutti, sono un principiante con LabView. Voglio fare un'interfaccia che contenga una parte ripetuta piu' volte: penso si debba usa invoke node; ho iniziato con un semplice esempio. Base.vi: contiene un integer input and un integer output collegati tra di loro. Questi due widjet devo essere visibili sull'interfaccia principale Top.vi: usa Load.vi per generare il reference of Base.vi Run.vi: passa i parametri a Base.vi Nell'esempio che allego, per semplicita', ho inserito solo un'instanza di Base.vi...ma anche cosi' non funziona &nbsp; Hi All, I'm beginner using Labview. I want an UI thant contains more istances of a single part: I think I have to use a "invoke node"; I started with a simple example. Base.vi: it contains un integer input and an integer output likend one to the other. These...

removing a node from a node-set
Hi, I have a template "delete-node" with two arguments containing document fragments when called. I want to return a new document fragment which contains all nodes from argument 2 except the one which is contained in argument 1. The code currently looks like this: <xsl:template name="delete-node"> <xsl:param name="todelete" /> <xsl:param name="notprocessed" /> <xsl:copy-of select="$notprocessed[not(@id = $todelete/node/@id)]"/> </xsl:template> And an example for $todelete is: <node id='x'> ... </node> and $notprocessed contains a few of those nodes including the one with id 'x'. Is there a solution to this problem without using exsl:node-set()? ...

Why treat text nodes as nodes?
One of the things I find most unnatural about most XML APIs is that they try to abstract both elements and text into some kind of "node" object when they have virtually nothing in common. The reason these APIs do it is to make it possible for both text and elements to be children of elements. But there is another way. The XPath/XQuery data model does not allow two consecutive text nodes. As far as I can tell, most XML processing software automatically merges consecutive text nodes. This means that the number of text segments directly under an element is bound by the number of sub-elements plus 1 (PIs and comments may be treated as "pseudo-elements" for this purpose). As a result, it is always possible to associate each text segment with the element immediately preceding it within the parent and associate the first text element with the parent itself. No more text nodes. The only API I know that uses this trick is the ElementTree API for Python by Fredrik Lundh (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm). Each Element object has a text and tail property for the text immediately inside the element and text following it within its parent element. Elements always have a tag, attributes and and zero or more children - which are always other elements. No mixed types. The text and tail attributes are always strings. This model should be very convenient for statically-typed languages like Java or C++. I find it ironic that this idea is probably used only in Pyt...

Looking A Nodes From Within Nodes

How to get a LabVIEW class object to expose an invoke-node method?
Hi, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I&nbsp;like the property/invoke-node "paradigm" used for interacting with&nbsp;"objects".&nbsp; Can LabVIEW-class objects expose&nbsp;their properties and&nbsp;methods this way?&nbsp; Can one or more LabVIEW-class objects be compiled into a library or&nbsp;"assembly" (or other distrubution format) that allows&nbsp;the property/invoke-node usage? &nbsp; I've looked&nbsp;at (but not completely understood)&nbsp;"<a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvconcepts/creating_classes/" target="_blank">Creating LabVIEW Classes</a>".&nbsp; Have also searched for related posts. &nbsp; Cheers. VATStat.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/238654/1/VATStat.JPG Hello Steven, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Compliments to the folks who did the LabVIEW 2 page! &nbsp; Cheers!Message Edited by tbd on 04-01-2007 10:33 PM Hello. This is your friendly neighborhood R&amp;D guy for LabVIEW classes. Regarding your request about property and invoke nodes as relates to LV classes.... Short story: We would like, someday, to support the property node. We have no intention of ever supporting the invoke node. Long story: As we were creating LV classes, we had to evaluate the right programming interface for these things. We wanted LV classes to behave as new data...

[ciao-users] Relationship cardinality between Node Manager, Node App Manager and Node App

How to pass .NET/COM errors to the error out
hi there &nbsp; ok, this is not really a LabVIEW question: &nbsp; i'm about to create a .NET assembly which will be accessed by property and invoke nodes. i'd like to know if there's a way to pass&nbsp;custom error codes from inside the .NET assembly to the LV environment via the error out - terminal of the calling property (just like the Microsoft .NET assemblies and COM objects, e.g. TreeView, ListView etc.) &nbsp; Anyone ever done something like this? &nbsp; Thanks in advance I read a posting the other day (they muddle together eventually) about the information that labview captures when there is an error in the .net assembly. It will through up a 1172 error, I do not believe you can avoid the error number.&nbsp; I searched but can not find the post.&nbsp; Ahh TST found it.&nbsp; JonathanN seems to be the .net expert here and maybe he can provide more detail.Here are just a couple work arounds I could come up with.- Put out a callback event with the error information. - Provide a 'get error method'. - Build a VI that parses the text output from the error, and converts that to your custom error code. I don't think it is what you are looking for, but they are the only options I can think of at the moment. I hope that helps, or maybe Jonathan can shed more light on this. Message Edited by Stradis on 09-12-2007 08:43 AM thanks both of you this&nbsp;generic .NET error 1172 is passed to LV&nbsp;only&nbsp;at...

Tab Control Property Node gives a build error when used in a VI for LabVIEW PDA

plot each node with different color if depth is different
hi, I have n by 3 matrix. I want to draw the second and the third columns with a color depending on the value in the first column. This will enable me to understand which nodes have the same depth (z value which is the first column), which do not, when I look at the plot in the x-y plane. I tried to change the r,g,b values every time by using set(0,'DefaultAxesColorOrder',[N(c,1) N(c,2) N(c,3)]); c is a variable in the for loop. N is a matrix I created using the original matrix that has values [0 1] (n by 3) M is the original matrix (n by 3) The part of the code is: ---------------------------------------------- N(:,1)=abs(M(:,1))/max(abs(M(:,1))); N(:,2)=1-exp(-N(:,1)); N(:,3)=1-exp(-N(:,1)); for c=1:numel(M(:,1)) hold on set(0,'DefaultAxesColorOrder',[N(c,1) N(c,2) N(c,3)]); plot3(M(c,2),M(c,3),M(c,1),'*'); end ---------------------------------------------- How can I solve thisd problem? Thanks Artug Acar "Artug " <artug.acar@gmail.com> wrote in message <fnjpci$ov5$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > hi, > I have n by 3 matrix. I want to draw the second and the > third columns with a color depending on the value in the > first column. This will enable me to understand which nodes > have the same depth (z value which is the first column), > which do not, when I look at the plot in the x-y plane. I > tried to change the r,g,b values every time by u...

Re: is there a way to set table entries to 'center justify' using property nodes in LabVIEW
LabviewGuru: I followed your instructions and have it all set up, but when I run the program I get two errors: 1.&nbsp; Error 1057 occured at To More Specific Class Possible reason(s): Type mismatch: object cannot be typecasted to the specific type 2.&nbsp; Error 1055 at Property Node (The string property node) Possible reason(s): Object reference is invalid. For your information I am using LabVIEW 7.1 and this error occurs whether I do justification, font properties, etc.&nbsp; I am taking a table reference, getting the active cell, casting it to a string type and using a string property node to change the font. Any ideas? ...

XSLT Child node of a specific node

Text nodes and element nodes query
Hi all, The code below gets me a list of all the nodes within the node object called xml_tags_root. NodeList nl = xml_tags_root.getChildNodes(); The length of nodelist I get is double the number of actual elements! This is because after every element node there is text node which is (I think) the whitespace in the XML document. Is there a way to get only the element nodes? Please advice. thanks, ASD Hi, Look at getElementsByTagName(....) Regards, Arnaud "asd" <arvindsd@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message news: 1116833345.887839.95270@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... &...

simpleXMLelement wrapping a few node in a parent node

Web resources about - Difference Between Property node and Invoke node - comp.lang.labview

Recognising cultural differences is not racism
... them apart - and that's dangerous. Comparing cultural traits in these politically correct times can elicit rebukes, but brushing over the differences ...

Recognising cultural differences is not racism
... them apart - and that's dangerous. Comparing cultural traits in these politically correct times can elicit rebukes, but brushing over the differences ...

Comparison: What are the differences between the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch model?
... unveiled the 9.7-inch iPad Pro . While the device is essentially the same as the larger 12.9-inch model, there are a few notable differences ...

Commission Compromise Could Have Made All the Difference
Could the fractious client-agency relationship have been salvaged if agencies had been willing to take less than 15% commission? "Losing the ...

Galaxy S7 Isocell vs Sony camera sensor: what’s the difference?
... have every right to believe all Samsung Galaxy S7 handsets are created equal, but such is not the case. And we are not only talking about differences ...

Bidwill: Chandler Jones will be a difference-maker
Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill believes Chandler Jones will improve the team's chances of getting to the Super Bowl.

The marginal importance of marginal ideological differences on the Supreme Court
I am not getting the argument that Obama’s choice of a moderate justice is a massive concession even if he can be confirmed before the lame duck ...