Does the call library function node compile properly when moving to Real Time Operating System

If one sets up a DLL using visual studio, then incorporates the functionality of that code into a Vi using the call function node, will the Vi work properly when targeting the real time operating environment?
0
x9561 (148466)

Hi Hummer1,The Call Library Function Node is valid for real-time targeted VIs.  "...will the Vi work properly when targeting the real time operating environment?" depends on the DLL.  National Instruments recommends you use CVI Real-Time for C-based shared
libraries. This will allow for proper compilation and will allow for remote
debugging.  If the shared library is C++-based, National Instruments recommends
you use VC 6 or VC 7.1 compilers.  Other compilers will require run-time
components to be statically linked when compiled, resulting in a large DLL,
though these may not all be supported in Real-Time.Please see "<a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0BF52E6FAC0BF9C286256EDB00015230?OpenDocument" target="_blank">How Can I Verify that My DLL is Executable in LabVIEW
Real-Time?</a> " and "<a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4583" target="_blank">Using LabWindows/CVI DLLs in LabVIEW Real-Time Applications</a>" for more information.&nbsp; I hope this helps. Message Edited by Pie56694 on 06-24-2008  04:31 PM
0
x9561 (148466)
6/24/2008 9:40:07 PM
Pie56694 wrote:Hi Hummer1,The Call Library Function Node is valid for real-time targeted VIs.&nbsp; "...will the Vi work properly when targeting the real time operating environment?" depends on the DLL.&nbsp; National Instruments recommends you use CVI Real-Time for C-based shared
libraries. This will allow for proper compilation and will allow for remote
debugging.&nbsp; If the shared library is C++-based, National Instruments recommends
you use VC 6 or VC 7.1 compilers.&nbsp; Other compilers will require run-time
components to be statically linked when compiled, resulting in a large DLL,
though these may not all be supported in Real-Time.Please see "<a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0BF52E6FAC0BF9C286256EDB00015230?OpenDocument" target="_blank">How Can I Verify that My DLL is Executable in LabVIEW
Real-Time?</a> " and "<a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4583" target="_blank">Using LabWindows/CVI DLLs in LabVIEW Real-Time Applications</a>" for more information.&nbsp; I hope this helps. Message Edited by Pie56694 on 06-24-2008  04:31 PMOne ceveat here. If your RT target is VxWorks based (like the cRIO-901x) you will need to recompile the DLL into an .out library using either the (paid for) VxWorks IDE or the free Gnu based VxWorks command line tool chain that is compatible with the VxWorks version running on the target. The VxWorks version is depending on the LabVIEW RT Version you are using with VxWorks 6.1 for LabVIEW RT 8.2 and VxWorks 6.3 for LabVIEW RT 8.5.And that shared library can not make use of any Windows APIs since they do not exist in VxWorks. Standard C runtime and LabVIEW manager functions are the only ones you can use.Rolf Kalbermatter
0
x9561 (148466)

call library function node: function not found in library
I'm using Labview 6.1 and Windows XP.&nbsp; I am trying to&nbsp;open some code, but it opens up with a broken arrow.&nbsp; The error is Call Library Function Node:function not found in library.&nbsp; Tried to configure the node, but no change.&nbsp; Moved the DLLs to various directories (keeping them together) but again no change.&nbsp; &nbsp; This code has been compiled and is working fine.&nbsp; I'm just trying to run the source code to&nbsp;make some modifications.&nbsp; Any suggestions?&nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; CarlosV Hi Carlos, Is this a custom DLL, or&nbsp;is it possible there's an old copy of the DLL that's getting loaded?&nbsp; To simplify diagnosis, I'd close LabVIEW, locate/remove any redundant copies, then reload the calling VIs. What happens when you browse the available functions in the "Call Library Function" dialog - does the Function Name&nbsp;appear in the pull-down menu? Cheers. Thanks for the suggestions.&nbsp; Tried it but had the same results.&nbsp; The library I'm using is hpe1413_32.dll.&nbsp; &nbsp; One thing I forgot to mention....doing a configure on the node, it comes up with the library: hpvscp32.dll and the function: hpe1413_error_message &nbsp; The function doesn't exist in the library.&nbsp; So I set the path to hpe1413_32.dll which does contain the function.&nbsp; &nbsp; After closing the configuration w...

Call By Reference Node + Call library function node
Hello, &nbsp; I have multiple subVI's that load a DLL with a Call library function node. Each of these subVI's use a different function of the dll.&nbsp;I only wish to load&nbsp;them when i actually need them. To do so Im using a Call By Reference Node. This works for all of them except one. For some reason it only works if&nbsp;I actually have the SubVI opened in labview. Im not getting any usefull errorcodes. And i can't see what is going wrong in the subVI as it does work when it is open. The dll im using is for a <a href="http://www.meinberg.de/english/products/tcr511pci.htm" target="_blank">TCR511PCI</a>&nbsp;and im using Labview 8.5. &nbsp; Does anyone have an idea what is causing this? &nbsp; What is not working when the subVI is not open? Does it crash? Or does it produce wrong results? Do you call an init function before you use the dll? Because if you do, the VI might disapear from memory when no references are open. If you do the init with a Call By Reference Node, the init will succeed. Then the CBRN is done, and the sub VI will disappear from memory, as will the dll. The next time you use a CBRN, the init is not done. If this is your problem, we can talk about the solution. Regards, Wiebe. Sorry for my late response. This SubVI is supposed to open the device and return a handle to it. There also is a Close Device SubVI, so I believe it will stay open until the close SubVI is used. Thi...

How to write a C wrapper dll to export Matlab dll functions so that LabVIEW Call Library Function Node can use it?
Hello LabView developers, &nbsp; I used LabVIEW to call Matlab m script to implement matlab MPC successfully. I wanted to use Matlab compiler to compile the matlab m script function into a c&nbsp;shared library&nbsp;.dll so that LabVIEW can call it without requiring Matlab installed on the PC. &nbsp; I used MatLab R2007b with matlab compiler. I was able to generate a C shared library dll set successfully using mcc command. &nbsp; However, from the header file, I see that the inputs and outputs of&nbsp;the function prototype&nbsp;are&nbsp;in mxArray. I need to change this data type to whatever that&nbsp;LabView Call&nbsp;Library Function Node can recognize. &nbsp; I have followed a few examples in the forum, but none of them went through. &nbsp; I use LabView 8.5. I have Microsoft Visual C++ Version 6 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. The compiler is in C++. Should I use a C compiler only to generate the C wrapper dll so that Labview can recognize it in the Call Library Function Node? &nbsp; If anybody has gone through this successfully, I would like to learn from you on how to do it. &nbsp; Thanks, &nbsp; Kimberly yw wrote: Hello LabView developers, &nbsp; I used LabVIEW to call Matlab m script to implement matlab MPC successfully. I wanted to use Matlab compiler to compile the matlab m script function into a c&nbsp;shared library&nbsp;.dll so that LabVIEW can call it without requiring Matlab installed ...

passing a parameter to a labview call library function node
Hi, I have a some labview code that I use to call a reference .dll.&nbsp; The .dll is written in winapi C++ and uses a library to open and perform tasks in a third party program.&nbsp; The third party software performs an analysis on some data and has several options that can be controlled with the library they provided, some of which require user input from labview. The C++ code I wrote had all the options hard coded in... I could change the options in the code, recompile, and everything worked fine. The next step was to pass one of the parameters through labview into my code.&...

System Call Vs Library Function Call
Hi, What are the differences between a system call and library function call except for the fact that the former is executed in kernel mode while the latter in user mode ? ( does this by itself have its own implications ? ) Thanks, Prakash > What are the differences between a system call and library function > call except for the fact that the former is executed in kernel mode > while the latter in user mode ? ( does this by itself have its own > implications ? ) That a little bit like asking "What are the differences between Paris and Kalamazoo except for the fact that ...

how to create a interrupt service function in c for real time linux operating system?
Scenario : Client is sending a data and the server is receving the data fro= m client via ethernet layer (udp). When the server receives a data from the= client on the ip layer (kernel). It interrupts the kernel and kernel as to= execute the data by the client, so I want to create a interrupt service fu= nction to catch the interrupt from the network service card. could someone help me how to go about it ? On 26.3.14 10:45, hemanthvenkatappa@gmail.com wrote: > Scenario : Client is sending a data and the server is receving the data from client via ethernet layer (udp). When the s...

how to create a interrupt service function in c for real time linux operating system?
Scenario : Client is sending a data and the server is receving the data fro= m client via ethernet layer (udp). When the server receives a data from the= client on the ip layer (kernel). It interrupts the kernel and kernel as to= execute the data by the client, so I want to create a interrupt service fu= nction to catch the interrupt from the network service card. could someone help me how to go about it ? On 26.3.14 10:46, Hemanth Venkatappa wrote: > Scenario : Client is sending a data and the server is receving the data from client via ethernet layer (udp). When the server rec...

[Simulink, S-functions] Calling Lapack++ library from a library called by a S-function
Hello fellow Simulink users, I am developing some C++ S-functions which call an external C++ library for physical computations. Library exports match the principal methods used by the runtime environment : (excerpt from the library header file :) __declspec( dllexport ) static MyPhisicalBlock* create( void ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void set_parameters( double* foo, double* bar ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void outputs( const double* const in1, double* out1, double* out2r ) ; __declspec( dllexport ) void derivatives( c...

can double pointer to represent matrix in DLL be interfaced with labview using call library function node?
Hi, I have got C code for my algorithm in which matrcies are dealth with double pointers. Can i use double pointer and can be interfaced with labview using call library function node? example code is void test_mat(double **a,int rows,int col){ int i,j;for(i=0;i&lt;rows;i++)for(j=0;j&lt;col;j++)a[i][j]=3.0;} I am using above code in C and creating a DLL and calling in LABVIEW using call library function node, but i am not getting any result.what should i do?thanks &amp; regards,vishnu. You should always start with LabVIEW: 1. Put the 2D array and col, row on the front panel 2. Put a CLF node on the diagram, and wire the 2D array, row, and col the the CLF node 3. Right click the CLF node, let LabVIEW create the C code for you 4.&nbsp;Open the C code in you C compiler, and finish the coding. &nbsp; &nbsp; George Zou <a href="http://www.geocities.com/gzou999/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/gzou999/index.html</a> &nbsp; ...

How to call a C pointer from call library function node
I have a client/server application which the client I am trying to develop using Labview.&nbsp; When I use to communicate the server and the client using the&nbsp;program provided by the manufacter, the system works perfectly. &nbsp; Now, I am trying to develop a system using labview, because I need to get another things. &nbsp; I have the DLL provided by the manufacter and the .h too, so I can check the functions parameters. One of these functions needs to be called using a struct element. Probably, the function's&nbsp;DLL instantiates the elements of this struct.&...

Labview Dll call library function Causing Labview to unload
I am trying to use the Call Library function in Labview 7.1 to call an Init function for a Zathic Can4USB device. When I run the vi, it complete log LabView out of the computer. Can anyone tell me why the function totally unloads LV without displaying an error? &nbsp; Thanks Either the function has a serious bug or you are calling it with invalid parameters or wrongly setup parameters. The problem happening here is that your DLL passes somehow invlid parameters to a system device driver and that driver causes a protection fault. For device driver execeptions which happen in the privileged...

Howto pass a callback function to call library function node
I need to implement a progressbar in labview that is updated by a callback routine that is passed to the hardware configuration routine. So the routine in the DLL is something like: int configure(ptrToCallbackRoutine routine). and CallbackRoutine is defined like int callbackRoutine(int progress, const char* message); Is this possible in LabView? I just cannot find the right documentation on this subject. Almar wrote: > I need to implement a progressbar in labview that is updated by a > callback routine that is passed to the hardware configuration routine. > So the routine in the DLL...

Re: Howto pass a callback function to call library function node
Hello Wiebe and Rolf, We are looking at using external code to trigger LV occurences using dlls, as in this post. We've had luck using MgErr Occur(LVRefnum refnum); but cannot pass data back to LV using MgErr PostLVUserEvent(LVRefnum userEventRefnum, UPtr data); &nbsp; Wiebe, we looked at the Carya.dl website to see if any posting was there from last August, but we couldn't find one. Please advise what the final solution was to pass the data. Many Thanks, Becca MacMaster Nuvera Fuel Cells ...

calling matlab code in labview 5 using call library function
hai i have a problem........... i want to call matlab code through call library function or cal interface node and execute it in my labview 5.but as i configer the dll. file in my CLF, it shows error saying function not found in library. i want brief explanation of how to create dll.in matlab and how to call it in labview5 CLF.can anybody help me? divya shetty. :?: ...

Re: Howto pass a callback function to call library function node #2
I would, personally, use the occurance approach. &nbsp; In the DLL have a callback to get notified of when the progressbar needs to be adjusted.&nbsp; In this callback use an occurance to tell LabVIEW the new values ready to be read.&nbsp; Also have a helper (reader) function that LabVIEW can call to get the most current value... &nbsp; Basically every time the LabVIEW occurance is triggered call the DLL for the new value.&nbsp; To me this seems the easiest way. &nbsp; Oooo, new forum message interface!&nbsp; I like it!&nbsp; :robottongue: &lt;--- First robo...

Why are calls to virtual functions not linked statically if run-time type is known at compile time?
I have the following situation: An abstract class for shapes: class Shape() { public: virtual BBox bbox() const = 0; }; A number of primitive types that implement this interface, and a class template template <typename Shape1, typename Shape2> class MinkowskiSum : public Shape { public: BBox bbox() const { return m_first.bbox() + m_second.bbox(); } private: Shape1 m_first; Shape2 m_second; }; (Constructors and accessors have been left out for the sake of brevity.) As you can see, the run-time types of the attributes of, for instance, a MinkowskiSum<Point, Sphere> are known at compile-time so you would expect a decent compiler to optimizie out the dereferencing of virtual functions and to simply link the calls to Point::bbox() and Sphere::bbox() statically into MinkowskiSum<Point, Sphere>::bbox(). I do not see this happening in Visual C++ 7.1. There is no optimization flag that will result in the virtual calls being removed. Now my question: Is this a flaw in the compiler or are there other reasons why the virtual calls cannot be removed here? [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] "Gino van den Bergen" <gino@dtecta.COMEAGAIN> wrote in message news:b211$41459a7b$d468cfd2$23430@nf1.news-service-com... > BBox bbox() const { return m_first...

Compile Time Programming, why not Compile Time Functional Language?
I am currently reading "Modern C++ Design" and have aspirations of eventually reading the Vandervorde book which currently takes pride of place on my desk at work to strike a chill of terror into my friends... Something however that I feel is left un-answered and even un-addressed by the peers of c++. Why doesnt compile time programming for c++ utilise a proper programming language in itself? For instance imagine being able to manipulate the abstract syntax tree of a c++ program using a Haskell like language. Wouldn't the degree by which people could utilise the techniques of meta programming be greatly increased? Generating clever code to encapsulate things wouldn't incur trying to see how to do it with templates, you could just manipulate the code itself. I guess at the heart of this is the matter of constructing a model of what a program is that itself can be manipulated. It seems like a critical calculus that is yet to be discovered to me. Ed Deighton. [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] <eddeighton@freeuk.com> wrote >I am currently reading "Modern C++ Design" and have aspirations of > eventually reading the Vandervorde book which currently takes pride of > place on my desk at work to strike a chill of terror into my friends... I have a feeling that you are reading the two books the other way round! I would first read ...

How to configure a call library function node for a function whose argument is a data type defined in windows API
I want to configure call library function node for a function which has the argument of type HANDLE which is a data type defined in the windows API. The function prototype is&nbsp; void CanGetReceiveEvent(int handle, HANDLE *hevent); &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; HANDLE is&nbsp;declared as &nbsp; typedef PVOID HANDLE; &nbsp; and PVOID is pointer to any type and is declared as &nbsp; typedef void *PVOID; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; can&nbsp;the call library function node be configured for such data types. hi Vandana, &nbsp; Can U tell us what Dll are U tr...

The problem with call library function node.
Hi, I have the problem with call library function node. I loaded dll into the node and ran, then the error occured. &nbsp; Thank You for answers! My problem.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/311176/1/My problem.doc ...

Call Library function node configur
Hi all, I am a Chemical Enginer and not gud at programming languages. I need to control my process. I am using LabVIEW 7.1. For this I am using USB based Data acquisition card (Cypress EZ-USB FX2LP). Now, my DAQ card vendor has provided the VC++ code and so I have the DLL for that. My problem is configouring the Call Library finction node. Since, the dll has many functions in it, I am facing problem in configuring. Can anybody please help me in configouring the node. If anybody accepts to help me I will post the dll. Any one please ..... Thank You. Upen Upen, Check out the following article titled <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3009" target="_blank">An Overview of Accessing DLLs or Shared Libraries from LabVIEW</a>. Also, in LabVIEW 8.20 we introduced the dll import wizard. You can find out more about it <a href="Integrating External Code With The Shared Library Import Wizard" target="_blank">here</a>. If greatly simplifies the process of using dlls. &nbsp; Chris C ...

SIMULINK on Real-Time Operating System
Hi All, We've a code written in SIMULINK which includes Embedded Matlab files.Code does live image acquisition and video - image processing.[u]We need to run this code on a some kind of board[/u].First of all , we thought installing the code to a motherboard(ZOTAC ion itx B actually) with Linux OS.By realtime workshop tool of simulink we converted the code in to .c file .[u]But there is a vital issue:our process is done over the lively acquired video[/u].And Real-Time Workshop does not support converting live image acquisition block to .c because converted code works in rapid acceleration...

VxWorks real-time operating system
http://www.richworld8.blogspot.com/ ...

adding a library (functionality) to an operating system
Hello All, I have been using Fedora Core 4/5 for a networking application. I came to know that it does not have the library corresponding to the SYSCTL API, used to interface with the routing table and etc. Similar is the situation for the library used to access data-link layer (L2) and packet generation functionalities. Is there any possibility of adding that library (which I believe is available on UNIX) to the operating system? I do not want to switch to a UNIX variant and want to stick to Linux. Thank you, Abid Ghufran. aghufran wrote: > Hello All, > > I have been using Fed...

Call library function node #2
Hi, I need to call&nbsp;a C++DLL and the functions prototype are int&nbsp; GetTNT ( int16 recIdx, int16 fieldIdx, int8* pStatus, int8* pType, char** pszValue);int GetConfig ( int8 confIdx, int **pszValue); &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In this how to configure for double pointers(inr **pszvalue and char **pszvalue) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ...

Web resources about - Does the call library function node compile properly when moving to Real Time Operating System - comp.lang.labview

Forward operating base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A forward operating base (FOB) is any secured forward military position, commonly a military base , that is used to support tactical operations. ...

Air India operating longest women-staffed flight for International Women's Day
To mark International Women's Day, India's state airline Air India is operating what it claims to be the world's longest flight staffed only ...

Operating as a company or a sole trader, how much choice do you have?
Max Newnham answers readers' taxation questions.

Suspended driver faces charge of illegally operating taxi
A driver who was allegedly illegally operating a taxi in Melbourne's CBD early in the morning has been charged.

WhatsApp Pulling Support for Older Devices, Operating Systems
... very different from today. The Apple iTunes App Store was only a few months old. About 70 percent of smartphones sold at the time had operating ...

Transform Windows 10 into the operating system it should be
Windows 10 is a decent operating system, but there are a lot of niggles with it that I find frustrating, and I know I’m not alone in this. I’m ...

One of Microsoft's most lucrative products is coming to an operating system Steve Ballmer likened to ...
... company's flagship database software, has long been one of the company's most lucrative enterprise products, alongside its Windows Server operating ...

House votes to extend FAA operating authority to mid-July
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House voted Monday to extend the Federal Aviation Administration's operating authority through mid-July while Congress ...

Robot Rondo Crashes Operating System, Earns Bizarre Back-To-Back Delay Of Game Fouls
The Oklahoma City Thunder grabbed two technical foul free throws with 1.2 seconds left in the half at Sacramento tonight when Rajon Rondo found ...

China Mobile reports CNY668.3 billion in 2015 operating revenues
China Mobile reports CNY668.3 billion in 2015 operating revenues Digitimes China Mobile has released its 2015 financial report, recording operating ...