GPIB instruments connected through Agilent USB/GPIB Interface can bee seen in MAX but can't communicate in labview

I have an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface connected to my computer.
Attached to that, I have two lock-in amplifiers (an SR830, and an SR
850).  I would like to be able to communicate with them through GPIB.

I have downloaded and installed the software for the Agilent device
(Agilent IO Control), and I can see the interface and the two devices
in that software.  Here's what is configured in this software, that I
can see:
- The VISA interface ID is GPIB0, and its address is 0

- The VISA addresses of the devices are GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR, and the GPIB addresses are 4 and 12

In Measerment and Automation Explorer (MAX), I made sure that the
Passport for Tulip box was checked.  Once it was, I could see the
devices in the Configuration window under Devices and Interfaces ->
Miscellaneous VISA Resources.  There, I see GPIB0::INTFC, GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR.

I can right click on either of the instruments, and "Open VISA Test
Panel" where I am successfully able to send commands and read from both
devices.

HOWEVER, when I am running an actual LabView program, I am unable to communicate with the devices.

For example, when I try to communicate to the devices through VISA,
using the 'Basic Serial Write and Read.vi' (while VISA Resource Name is
GPIB0::12::INSTR), I get an error:

  Error -1073807331 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic Serial Write and Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource.

When trying to communicate with them through GPIB (which is what I want
to do in the end), using 'GPIB.vi' I also get an error.  Here, GPIB
address is 12, and I am just trying to give it the command *IDN?
GPIB Write returned error code:

EDVR: Error connecting to driver or device

What's going on?
0
x9561 (148440)

Why would you use a serial VI to communicate with a GPIB instrument? It should be obvious that you cannot configure com settings such as baud rate. You also can't use the low level GPIB functions with an Agilent controller. The low level functions only work for NI boards. Stick with VISA. If you want an example, use the one called GPIB-VISA .
0
x9561 (148440)
7/18/2008 8:10:08 PM
I figured that since I could send commands through the VISA Test Panel, that I could use VISA Read and Write in Labview.I never wanted to communicate with it through serial to begin with.  I have instrument drivers already written for the devices (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E93F3659CE034080020E74861) that use 'GPIB Write' and 'GPIB Read'.   But these always give Error 0 (EDVR).    I want to just be able to use these drivers.  Is this possible?Message Edited by ManifestMind on 07-18-2008  03:57 PM
0
x9561 (148440)
7/18/2008 9:10:07 PM
Also, I don't know what you mean by "GPIB-VISA"
0
x9561 (148440)
7/18/2008 9:10:08 PM
You can use VISA Write and VISA Read. You just can't use the example called Basic Serial Write and Read because that is specifically for the RS-232 port. The GPIB-VISA is one of the shipping examples. Start the example finder and go to the search tab. Search for VISA.

Again, no you cannot use the GPIB functions with a non-NI controller. The low level functions for an NI board and an Agilent one are completely different. You can rewrite the driver to use VISA or you can rewrite it to use the low level functions that Agilent provides. You use the Call Library Function Node, I believe to access their GPIB driver.

I hate to say it but the $20 difference between the Agilent and the NI controller does not seem like much of a saving.

0
x9561 (148440)

MAX can't see my Agilent 82357A GPIB/USB converter
I have a LV 8.5 program that talks to an Agilent 34970A through the subject converter and generally works well except I often lose comm. Also when I first start my LV program it can't establish comm until I run the Agilent Connection Wizard, then LV and MAX comm ok with it. I've tried a different converter with same results. I'm using the Agilent Initialize vi, which is where the error occurs. The error I get is "Error 1073870264 occurred at VISA Clear in HP34970A Initialize.vi.....(Hex 0xBFFF00600) The interface associated with this session is not currently the controller in ...

MAX can't find Agilent 82357A GPIB/USB converter
I'm having intermittent problems communicating with my Agilent 34970a through the Agilent GPIB/USB converter. My Labview 8.5 program uses the Agilent Initialize vi, and cannot recognize the GPIB/USB converter unless I first run the Agilent communication wizard, which successfully communicates with it,then my LV program and/or MAX can see it. Sometimes while debugging my LV program I lose comm, then have to run Agilent wizard, or unplug/replug the USB cable to re-establish comm. I've been on the phone with Agilent tech help who, after trying a lot of things, suggests I update my Agiletn...

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

serial error -1073807202 LabView 7.1 can't communicate with USB-serial adapter?
Hello community,   I can't get LabView 7.1 to read data from the serial port. If I use the original examples, the examples given hier, VISA or not, I just get the error -1073807202 straight after the Configure vi. Is it possible that LabView just can't communicate with Serial<->USB adapters?   The configuration should be correct: Everything is default, except for the baud rate. It is 38400 bps. Also, I *can* read characters via Win32 CreateFile() and friends. It also works with Hyperterminal. I use WinXP Pro if that matters. And yes, I use the c...

Why can't I communicate with both of my GPIB devices?
I have 1 NI PCI GPIB board in my computer I have 2 identical devices (keithley 237) connected one at address 15 one at address 16 and 2 different programs one program to connect with 15 and 1 to connect with 16 after I tell the 1st labview program to communicate with 15 then I tell the 2nd labview program to communicate with 16. then both communications come back with error device timeout. one at a time, I can communicate find with either device. Why can't I communicate with two different GPIB devices at the same time? Hi mrutter, first I would try some other addresses, e.g. 5 and 11. ...

Can Labview control remote GPIB instruments with Modems?
My company has a new walkie talkie system called TETRA. Nokia THR850 is the TETRA handset model we are using. According to the user manual of the handset, it can be used as a modem. Please click the link below for some information of the handset. http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,1482,00.html If LabView could control my remote GPIB instruments with this handset, I would be able to acquire data from anywhere to my office, which would save me a lot of effort. Please let me know if this is possible? If yes, what is the simplest way? I am a mechanical engineer with limited electronics and progra...

how can labview communicate with barcode scanner of USB interface
I have no idea that USB barcode scanner is within USBTMC or not and there is no information available from the BCR supplier about the communication.   Is there anyone give me suggestions? hi,    iam karthick ,here i was used the ps2 keyboard optional barcode scanner it works well,   Program:                  Using event structure(ctlref) u can easily get the data from barcode scanner.... hi,    ia...

Re: GPIB, can't find instrument
Hi, how is it possible to type over commands to the instruments first even when it can't be detect in 'Scan for Instruments'? I'm facing the same problem too but i'm a begineer in this starting to grasp the understanding of Labview program. Thank you ...

Why can't I run my VI.exe stand-alone when I can run it from LabView
I made a pretty simple VI in LabView (7.1 on WindowsXP) that uses the NI USB-6009 multifunction I/O device to display 4 AI channels to read voltage (simulate a 4X digital multimeter).   The VI works fine from LabView, but when I built the stand-alone application with the Tools menu feature, it won't run.  I get the following error: VISA: (BFFF000E) Given session or object reference is invalid.   Any idea what would cause this?  Under Support Files, I only select the single VI (which is included in an .llb file).  Should I be including a...

can't connect RT target in LabView project
Hello, I use LabView Real Time 8.5 on a Desktop PC. I see the target in MAX in which I can change the network settings of the target and use the FTP without problem. But it's impossible to connect the target in a LabView project. The Log error of the target says : #### #Date: Mon, Jun 9, 2008 3:04:29 AM #OSName: PharLap #OSVers: 13.0 #AppName: PH_EXEC #Version: 8.5 #AppKind: AppLib #AppModDate: 06/09/2008 06:55 GMT LVRT.DLL load address: 0x003EE000 Someone can help me ? Thanks in advance Hi, Thanks for posting on the National Instruments forum. Have you checked if all the software...

LabVIEW 7 can't open source code based on LAbVIEW 6.1.
LabVIEW 7 can't open source code based on the LAbVIEW 6.1 with an error that some VI doesn't have block diagram and can't be converted. What to do in this situation. You are stuck, unless you can get the source code for the VI with the missing diagram. However, you can still open the rest of the application. Delete the "bad" VI and replace it will new code, assuming that you know how it works. Hi, Jim is right. There is no way of converting/upgrading a VI to the newer version of LabVIEW without its block diagram. Below are a couple of KBs that discuss this issue: &...

How do I create Labview VISA ports for *individual* GPIB instruments using Prologix USB GPIB controller?
Hello, I'm trying to use a Prologix USB GPIB controller to control GPIB instruments, and I would like to have a virtual serial (VISA) port for *each instrument*, as is the case with a normal GPIB controller with a standard NI driver. However this is not what the Prologix driver provides -- it provides a single VISA virtual serial port for the entire controller. To address the instrument with GPIB address 11, you first send "++addr 11" to the serial port, and then you're talking to instrument 11. However, this means I have to change all old Labview programs. Is it possibl...

Client can't connect to the default port, but can connect to other ports
I am not able to connect to the sshd running on default port, but if I run a new sshd at a specific port, I can connect to it. Here are debug outputs from the two calls. syslogs don't show anything either. Can someone please help me solve this problem. ================= ps -ef ================= [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ps -ef | grep sshd root 5114 1 0 Aug12 ? 00:00:05 /usr/sbin/sshd root 19131 1 0 Aug17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -p 10111 namit 30922 19148 0 09:52 pts/6 00:00:00 grep sshd [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ================= Default port ====...

I can't find a LabVIEW driver for Agilent 8156A Optical Attenuator, please help!!
I can't find a LabVIEW driver for Agilent 8156A Optical Attenuator, please help!! Is there any one who can help me on this? I will appreciate this a lots , thank you, :smileysad: The programming guide for 8156A is as follows <a href="http://www.artisan-scientific.com/info/Agilent_8156A_Operating_Programming_Guide.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.artisan-scientific.com/info/Agilent_8156A_Operating_Programming_Guide.pdf</a> Anyone has the command set for 8157A? The command set of 8156A is different from the one of 8157A. &nbsp; 8157A command set is very ...

Web resources about - GPIB instruments connected through Agilent USB/GPIB Interface can bee seen in MAX but can't communicate in labview - comp.lang.labview

Horn (instrument) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the luxury hotel and restaurant, see French Horn, Sonning Eye . The horn , commonly known as the French horn , is a brass instrument ...

Blunt Instrument: Heat blast is no excuse to be naked at me
COMMENT: I know it's hot, but that doesn't mean freaks can walk around wearing non-existent pants.

Aussie singer Jon English flies into Virgin baggage handlers after instruments are smashed - DailyTelegraph ...
SOME rockers famously destroy their guitars as part of the show, but for Aussie singer Jon English, a smashing encounter between his guitar and ...

Melbourne musicians share the back stories about their treasured instruments
The creation of music is an alchemy between the artist and their instrument.

Park your BMW with a wave, 3D instrument clusters, and more
Filed under: 2016 CES , BMW , Gadgets , Infotainment , Smartphone , Technology , Autonomous , Concept Cars BMW's list of ideas and technologies ...

Texas Instruments, SanDisk: Fortt Pitt Capital Couldn’t Be Happier
Shares of chip makers Texas Instruments ( TXN ) and SanDisk ( SNDK ) are both moving higher this afternoon, after the two reported mixed results ...

- One-man band brings homemade instruments, humor to Volcanic Theatre Pub
The Magic Pipe set the mood Monday night at Volcanic Theater Pub before That 1 Guy even played a note. The 7-foot tall, homemade collection of ...

Why is Rahm Emmanuel handing his notorious police force instruments of torture?
Why is Rahm Emmanuel handing his notorious police force instruments of torture? by digby I wrote a piece for Salon today about his dubious decision ...

This company built an instrument that combines the best parts of physical and digital music — here’s ...
As the technology for making music gets more advanced, it presents a strange tradeoff for musicians. The act of playing a physical instrument ...

VLT black hole instrument discovers new binary star
The Very Large Telescope's black hole instrument has been activated, and has already made a stellar discovery.