How do I create Labview VISA ports for *individual* GPIB instruments using Prologix USB GPIB controller?

Hello,

I'm trying to use a Prologix USB GPIB controller to control GPIB
instruments, and I would like to have a virtual serial (VISA) port for
*each instrument*, as is the case with a normal GPIB controller with a
standard NI driver.  However this is not what the Prologix driver
provides -- it provides a single VISA virtual serial port for the
entire controller.  To address the instrument with GPIB address 11,
you first send "++addr 11" to the serial port, and then you're talking
to instrument 11.  However, this means I have to change all old
Labview programs.

Is it possible to create a "wrapper" function of some kind that will
define a virtual serial (VISA) port for each *instrument* on the
controller?  For example, to talk to GPIB instrument 11, call it
ASRL3::11::INSTR, each time it is written to it would have to write to
the virtual serial port of the controller, say ASRL3::INSTR, first "+
+addr 11" and then the command that is sent to it.

A clearer explanation of the difference (i.e. incompatibility), and of
my objective:
1) A normal GPIB controller with NI driver:  I go to the NI
Measurement & Instrumentation Panel, under GPIB, and Scan for
Instruments; all the live instruments show up; subsequently when I
want to use Labview programs that use VISA ports, the VISA drop boxes
allow me to choose a different port for each instrument, e.g.
"GPIB0::11::INSTR", "GPIB0::12::INSTR" would be instruments at
addresses GPIB 11 and GPIB 12.

2) The Prologix GPIB controller that plugs into a USB port:  In
Labview you get a *single* VISA virtual serial port, ASRL3::INSTR, for
the entire GPIB0 controller.  Therefore to address GPIB instrument 11,
you write "++addr 11" to the virtual serial port ASRL3::INSTR, and
then you are communicating with device 11, so you can write and read
ASRL3::INSTR to talk to that device.  Then to talk to device GPIB 12,
you write "++addr 12" to the same VISA port, and then you are talking
to that device.  The problem is that this requires recoding all
Labview code, whereas I would like to be able to use the same program
either with a normal or with a Prologix GPIB controller.  Therefore, I
would like to create code that scans the controller for all GPIB
attached devices and creates VISA ports for all.  Such ports, when
written to, would have to first write "++addr DEVICENUM" to
ASRL3::INSTR (i.e. the port of the GPIB-USB controller) where
DEVICENUM is the GPIB address of the instrument corresponding to that
port, and then would have to do a write or read or whatever function
is being done on that instrument VISA port.

I haven't figured out if it is possible to do this easily.  Help and
pointers on where to look for hints would be much appreciated.  Many
thanks!

Milos
0
milos (16)

Hi Milos, you can use the Mathc Pattern function to split your string. After that you can use a loop to execute the commands you need.Hope it helps.Mike
0
x9561 (148440)
8/2/2008 5:40:18 AM
My first impression is that if you don't want to make any changes at all to existing programs is that the wrapper you need is one around VISA. You would need to intercept all of the calls into the NI VISA driver. If you create your own visa32.dll and in there, change the addressing and then call the real VISA driver, you might (repeat, might) get something to work. If this would even work, you still might find that you have to make significant changes anyway. The serial connection is going to be considerably slower, and interface specific functions such as service request handling, bus triggering of multiple instruments, etc., would be difficult to impossible. This would be a lot of work, imho, to just save a couple of hundred dollars over a real GPIB controller. I've seen this Prologix device before and have even used NI's RS-232->GPIB controller. The Prologix intended use to me seems to me more for a hobbyist or very casual user. Of course, I'm used to having multiple GPIB instruments worth 10s/100s of thousands of dollars and the cost of an fully compliant GPIB controller is just lost in the noise.
0
x9561 (148440)

GPIB instruments connected through Agilent USB/GPIB Interface can bee seen in MAX but can't communicate in labview
I have an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface connected to my computer.  Attached to that, I have two lock-in amplifiers (an SR830, and an SR 850).  I would like to be able to communicate with them through GPIB. I have downloaded and installed the software for the Agilent device (Agilent IO Control), and I can see the interface and the two devices in that software.  Here's what is configured in this software, that I can see: - The VISA interface ID is GPIB0, and its address is 0 - The VISA addresses of the devices are GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR, and t...

how can i use labview and datasocket to control a GPIB...
how can i use labview and datasocket to control a GPIB instrument remotely via a standard web browser i have the labview 6.0 base package running on a windows machine and also have a windows 2000 server. can my task be performed or do i need any additional software/add-ons Unless you already have the GPIB card for the server, it's about the same price to get an NI ENET-GPIB (or Agilent LAN-GPIB). These devices control your GPIB instruments through the LAN. VISA makes them program just like any other GPIB instrument. If you already have the GPIB card in the server, it depends upon your...

Using GPIB-USB HS with Labview 3.1
Hi, I have a old computer with Labview 3.1 and Windown 3.1, and the GPIB card in the old computer is broken. I am using Labview to make some measurements via GPIB. So I switched to a new computer and I am still using the old vi with the conversion kit from NI (which I can run Labview 3.1 in Windows XP) I also bought the GPIB-USB HS, and installed it.   The problem now is that there is a GPIB function in Labview 3.1 which I need to tell it the address of the GPIB. After switching to the GPIB-USB HS, I dont know what is the address. It doesnt show in any port # in the device manager. I ...

Can Labview control remote GPIB instruments with Modems?
My company has a new walkie talkie system called TETRA. Nokia THR850 is the TETRA handset model we are using. According to the user manual of the handset, it can be used as a modem. Please click the link below for some information of the handset. http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,1482,00.html If LabView could control my remote GPIB instruments with this handset, I would be able to acquire data from anywhere to my office, which would save me a lot of effort. Please let me know if this is possible? If yes, what is the simplest way? I am a mechanical engineer with limited electronics and progra...

controling hp impedance analyzer using gpib & labview
hallo   I'm beginner programmer in the labview environment, can u help me to control hp impedance analyzer by PC using labview & Gpib .. More details please regards   hi TiTou labview version is 7 hp impedance analyzer 4192A ( low frequancy impedance analyzer ) the requiread measuread paramteres are electrical impedance ( magnitude - phase ) over the frequency band reactance ( capacitance - inductance ) over the frequency band as well as the quality factor .   Hi,   I am new with Labview, and have been shooting in the dark to make a ...

Which USB-GPIB interface (and drivers) to use with old instruments (old GPIB interface IEEE 1 no SCPI commands)
Hello,   we want to buy an USB-GPIB-interface to drive old instruments using "old GPIB interface  IEEE 1 and no SCPI commands" (manufacturer info).   What USB-GPIB-interface do we have to buy and what driver 488.2, 488.1, older,..... should we use to get all these old instruments working through GPIB ?   We've already contacted NI Belgium with this question without a solution yet.   With thanks,        best regards,         &...

Labview program to control keithley 2400 to output current using GPIB cable
as topic suggests,i would like to have a VI program to let the 2400 sourcemeter output current using labview.sorry,but i'm still new to this stuff and i direly need it by today... so please help me out... thanks a LOT!also can u brief on the connection? &nbsp;Message Edited by SG_SP_OLED on 05-15-2006 12:16 PM And for OTHER drivers try http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niid_web_display.drv_search Below is a link that describes what an instrument driver is. &nbsp; <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/119B3B705B84B041862567D90074F425?opendocument&amp;no...

Re: "Hi,I'm having problems controlling the Agilent E4422B Signal Generator with Labview. When using the Labview driver functions such as initialize instrument I always get an Error -1074135040
Hi, Brooks. Attached please find the files containing all the information concerning my attempt to control the Agilent E4438C. Hope you can make sense of it and help me. &nbsp; Regards isaac nireport.txt: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/1/nireport.txt Capture.spy: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/2/Capture.spy CaptureSpy.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/3/CaptureSpy.doc Hi, If this driver supports multiple instrument models, then you will probably have to set the model in the default settings in MAX. Regards Ray FarmerMessage Edited by...

Re: Can I input data from a trio motion controller via serial port directly into Labview 6 w/o DAQ or GPIB boards?
I'm trying to create a VI to speak with a trio motion controller 216.&nbsp; It is using MODBUS protocol over serial port. I downloaded the laview 7.1 modbus library and tried the "mb serial master query.vi" to try to read some of the registers but it gives me "Error 6101 occurred at Timeout Error" i want to "read holding register" at address 1 and the header is 4x. Can somedy help me on that please My Trio mc216.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/151936/1/My Trio mc216.vi Electro_gab wrote: > I'm trying to create a VI to speak with a tri...

how can I use a microsoft (for example) steering wheel and pedals within LabVIEW (using usb port) ?
I would like to use a regular steering wheel and pedals (game controller) in LabVIEW. They use USB port. Is it possible ? How can i do it ? In LabVIEW 7, there are some built-in VIs for accessing a joystick. I would think they would also work with a wheel and pedals as long as it identifies itself as a joystick device, though I have not tried this. You'll find them in the 'Advanced>Input Device Control' palette. If you don't have LabVIEW 7, I know I've seen some VIs that can access a joystick, but I can't find them right now. Try doing a web search on "joysti...

To Labview or not to labview
I am facing a large decision, to continue developement with labview or to m= ove on to .NET or Delphi. <br>The desire to move comes from the simple fac= t that .NET and Delphi applications 'look' more like windows applications b= oth in appearance and operation. What I am talking about are the menus for= file, edit,printing that we are so used to with such packages as Excel and= the like.<br>I tend to use labview in the following way: write an applica= tion and distribute it to MANY clients running everything from 98 to XP. I= just feel labview is moving away from th...

How to use GPIB communication check in LabVIEW
There is one power supply in our office from Agilent. How to develop software for that Power supply using LabVIEW we should be able to change the voltage via GPIB interface. If you have the GPIB commands for your Agilent device in its product&nbsp;manual&nbsp;and&nbsp;a GPIB card, just go to Block diagram functions-&gt; instrument i/o-&gt; gpib and you have&nbsp;a set of GPIB functions. Also look at attached VI&nbsp;( taken from labview examples shipped with labview) to get an idea on how to do GPIB write Regards Dev LabVIEW_GPIB.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachme...

How can i use labview.tlb to control Labview from an external application?
Hi, I've been told by a labview engineer that i could use the file labview.tlb located in the labview install folder to control labview from an external application (in my case, a C# app). I'm using Labview 6.1 under Windows 2000. This article confirms that: "ActiveX and LabVIEW" http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/5401BE584FBAEECE862567C2006D36C7?opendocument But i've not been able to find out how to use this file to achieve what i want. I just want to be able to open/close labview, open/close a vi, start/stop a vi, hide/show a vi from a C# application. Th...

How to get LabView to control GPIB on Linux?
Hi, I am running Gentoo Linux on a x86-based machine with a National Instruments PCI-GPIB card and kernel 2.6.8 (the newest that would still allow the NI-488.2 Drivers to compile). I have LabView 7.0 running fine, and the GPIB drivers also are working fine (the card passes gpibtsw and&nbsp; I can send commands to a device using gpibintctrl).&nbsp; However, I can't get the GPIB 488/488.2 functions in LabView to communicate with the GPIB card.&nbsp; I run a VI and it executes in almost no time, without communicating with anything.&nbsp; I would think it is a problem with ...

Using the cFP controller with only LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but no LabVIEW RT
I have a cFP-2020 controller and cPF-AI-100 modules which I intend to use in a small project. I do have LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but I dont have LabWIEW RT software. Is it possible to use the cPF controller with only just LabVIEW? if yes, I would like to be advised how. Thanks Dear Chuma, It is not possible to&nbsp;set up your system without Labview realtime module. There are system integrators who can build a executable for you. You can search for a alliance member by using the following link; <a href="http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niaa.search_display" target="_b...

can Labview 7.0 control an instrument without the labview driver?
hellow,i have an instrument which do not have the labview driver,its output signal is RS232,so can i use labview7.0 to read the signal? thanks! Another possible option is to use the Instrument I/O Assistant. It is an interactive tool that generates Instrument I/O and response parsing code for you. It is very helpful in establishing a connection and helping parse instrument response data. It is pretty high level and basic, so if you want to utilize any special serial VISA functionality it may not go as deep as you would like - but it can definitely help get you started. ...

GPIB-USB B trouble after Labview crash
Hi, &nbsp; I have some trouble with the GPIB-USB NI interface. It works perfectly until my Labview program crashes (which is not the first time and certainly not the last). I need to kill by Windows the labview task. &nbsp; Then&nbsp;I could not manage to detect again &nbsp;the GPIB-USB (none of the two leds on the interace works), of course MAX doesn't see the interface, even after reboot. &nbsp; Any idea how to manage to un-crash the system ? &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; S. Normand Hello, Have you tried to reinstall or repair the drivers? If you try to plug your device on another USB port, the behavior is the same? Regards. Thanks for your help, Yes I re-install (x4) driver and NI Labview, MAX, .... If I change the USB port, the behavior is the same It seems to be be very sensitive to accidental unplug of the GPIB-USB interface from the computer. It seems also be sensitive to LAbview crash. In fact after LAbview crash, it doesn't manage to reset the vi so I have to kill the windows task, then the driver doesn't seem to work correctly and I have to re-install every thing (NI488, MAx...) which is very ennoying. Have you any idea on the VI reset conducts by Labview ? Regards, Stephane Hello Stephane, I got no Idea on the origin of that strange behavior. Is there a message returning when LabVIEW crashes or something like that? Regards. ...

How can I use LabVIEW to refresh the USB port?
In my LabVIEW program I am using USB to communicate with some&nbsp;equipment. The USB connection might be a little unstable. Sometimes the LabVIEW program gets stoked and there is nothing I can do to make it running again. Only I can pull out the USB cable from the PC and then put it back in. Then LabVIEW is running again. How can I make this programmable / automatically? ...

How to use GPIB communication check in LabVIEW #3
There is one power supply in our office from Agilent. How to develop software for that Power supply using LabVIEW we should be able to change the voltage via GPIB interface. If you have the GPIB commands for your Agilent device in its product&nbsp;manual&nbsp;and&nbsp;a GPIB card, just go to Block diagram functions-&gt; instrument i/o-&gt; gpib and you have&nbsp;a set of GPIB functions. Also look at attached VI&nbsp;( taken from labview examples shipped with labview) to get an idea on how to do GPIB write Regards Dev LabVIEW_GPIB.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachme...

Problems using a Agilent GPIB card and LabView
Im trying to use a HP34401A with labview. My GPIB card is an Agilent 82350 PCI, and im having problems to use that. I have all the drivers but i cant write anything in the instrument. Do i use VISA vi's at labview library or what jeison Hello Les, I was going thro' this article & need your help. The same problem occured to me when using Agilent 82350A card with Labview 6.1. The installation was done on D: drive instead of the C: drive (default) as the C: drive was not supposed to be available to students in the Univ. Could this have caused the problems with the installation. Also ...

Timing issues with GPIB-USB controlled instrument
I am trying to use LabView to run and control a Stanford Research SR400 photon counter. I can get the counter to operate perfectly using labview, but the data pulled into labview does not accurately represent the data displayed on the counter, i.e. I get repeated values etc. It appears there is some timing issue with the retrieval of data from the counter into LabView, is this likely to be due to the fact the photon counter is connected to the PC via a NI USB-GBIB connection? Thanks Are you missing data, or just repeated values??? Explain what the 'etc' actually is.... What version LV...

using USB to communicate LabView with Agilent instruments
I'm not used to USB comunication protocol, but I need to use LabView to communicate with some USB devices. What do I need to know (basically)? I have LabView 6.1 installed under Windows 98 (somebody recommended me "hid.dll" windows library , but I have no extra information about that). Thanks! Hi Lele, I have a number of USB intruments that are controlled through LabView. However, all of these instruments either have Labview drivers or API's (dll's). The fact that you have Win-98 may make things a little more tricky. I seem to remember that Win-98 Second Edition eithe...

AbouT using Labview through Activex to control USB Camera
Hello&nbsp;All, &nbsp; I have LV7.1, IMAQ6.0 . I can't use the IMAQ for USB Camera, Someone suggest me try to use activex to control webcam. &nbsp; Is activex can control the usb web camera? &nbsp; How Can I use the activex to control the Camera? &nbsp; Would&nbsp;someone send a simple example for me to observe?? &nbsp; Thank you!! &nbsp; Try <a href="http://www.mindtrove.info/oss/lvw.html" target="_blank">this</a> (LabVIEW Webcam Library) or consider&nbsp;following <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websea...

How to use GPIB communication check in LabVIEW #2
There is one power supply in our office from Agilent. How to develop software for that Power supply using LabVIEW we should be able to change the voltage via GPIB interface. If you have the GPIB commands for your Agilent device in its product&nbsp;manual&nbsp;and&nbsp;a GPIB card, just go to Block diagram functions-&gt; instrument i/o-&gt; gpib and you have&nbsp;a set of GPIB functions. Also look at attached VI&nbsp;( taken from labview examples shipped with labview) to get an idea on how to do GPIB write Regards Dev &nbsp; LabVIEW_GPIB.vi: http://forums.ni.c...

Web resources about - How do I create Labview VISA ports for *individual* GPIB instruments using Prologix USB GPIB controller? - comp.lang.labview

Get Started With The SFM - Business Accelerator Academy
*Individual results will vary from person to person. We cannot guarantee any results with the help of our training and business systems. All ...

Campaign Finance - Money, Political Finance, Campaign Contributions
Campaign Finance, Money, American politics, American political campaign contributions, presidential campaign contributions, george w bush, bill ...

LYRICA® (pregabalin) CV Questions - What Is LYRICA® - Safety Info
Frequently asked questions and answers about taking LYRICA® (pregabalin) CV. Learn about the risks and benefits of LYRICA®.

What Does It Cost To Join The SFM?
[...]

Fibromyalgia Pain - LYRICA® (pregabalin) CV - Safety Info
Learn how LYRICA® (pregabalin) CV can provide significant pain relief from the chronic widespread pain and tenderness of fibromyalgia. Find safety ...