How start many labview sessions (instances of labview.exe) ? #3

I mean could I start many instances of labview.exe like excel.exe,
word.exe,visual basic, .net , ...
0
x9561 (148461)

You posted many instances of this question...  ;o)

I never tried, but never needed to...  Why do you want to open
multiple instances of LV.  I don't think it's advisable because if you
run all of them and some code is shared, you may create a conflict.

Why do you want to run multiple instances of LV?
Do you want to open many vi's at once?  If so, then you can easily do
this with a single instance of LV.  I do it all the time..

JLV
0
x9561 (148461)
11/7/2003 1:42:41 PM
In article <506500000008000000E2AC0000-1066448259000@exchange.ni.com>,
"daubut" <x@no.email> wrote:

> I mean could I start many instances of labview.exe like excel.exe,
> word.exe,visual basic, .net , ...

To answer your question, no, you can't do it with the Windows OS.  I can
do this on the Linux version but I suppose that won't help you.

JoeLabVIEW is right.  For apps (win or linux) there's no need for multiple
instances of LV, if you design your app correctly.  You should just make
multiple instances of your VI.  I prefer dynmically loading reentrant VIs,
passing their data through queues, and using just about all the
synchonization VIs.

OT: I'm building up some diskless clients under Linux.  LV only has to be
on one box, the server.  It can open multiple instances for each user
logged in.  Got up to 40 once! Licensing is tricky for this... As long as
it's not loading LV  into memory locally, which I'm not, it should be OK
based on what their license says. Still have to work out the details with
NI before I start doing it for business.

If this doesn't answer your question, give more details.  We'll help :-)
0
gnu_voodoo (36)
11/7/2003 9:56:51 PM
The context is 2 apps (the first run on a PXI then LVRT, the second on
a host computer then LV "normal").  These 2 apps communicate via
datasockets.

Then during debugging session (on my host computer) I had to switch LV
from/to "RT mode" and to/from "normal mode" too, depending which app I
wanted to debug.  My goal was to avoid to ran host app on PXI system
and PXI app on host (because it slows down process in theses two
cases)... and you can't have a LV in RT mode and other LV in normal
mode on the same computer.

Anyway.

I debuged in "normal mode" on the host theses two apps.  After I ran
PXI app (on the PXI via LVRT), switched LV to 'normal mode", start my
host app and communicate some data (via datasockets) to see on my host
app what it's happened in real PXI context.

Many many many mouse clics and swithing between "RT mode" and "normal
mode" ...

Thank you guys.
0
x9561 (148461)
11/25/2003 1:23:29 AM
In Windows this can be done by mapping the LabVIEW folder as a new
drive letter with using the "subst" command, and then launching the
instance of LabVIEW beneath the new drive.  You can open one instance
per drive mapping. For example:

C:\>SUBST R: "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.0"

C:\>SUBST S: "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.0"

C:\>"R:\LabVIEW.exe"

C:\>"S:\LabVIEW.exe"

You can unmap the drive by issuing the following command:

C:\>SUBST R: /D

C:\>SUBST S: /D

-Jim
0