LabVIEW to control a PLC

So on the NI website there is a lot of white papers talking about how
it is easy to integrate LabVIEW into an existing control system. I
have yet to see anything good examples of this though.
I am wondering if anyone out there has used LabVIEW as a build on to
an existing control system using mainstream PLCs such as GE 90-30s or
VIPA (Siemens) or AB.
Then were you able to remove out the standard ladder logic program and
use the PLC as a central control for the I/O and thus have LabVIEW do
the thinking, be it in a PC or an embedded controller.

Using the cFP controller with only LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but no LabVIEW RT
I have a cFP-2020 controller and cPF-AI-100 modules which I intend to use in a small project. I do have LabVIEW and FIELDPOINT software but I dont have LabWIEW RT software. Is it possible to use the cPF controller with only just LabVIEW? if yes, I would like to be advised how. Thanks Dear Chuma, It is not possible to&nbsp;set up your system without Labview realtime module. There are system integrators who can build a executable for you. You can search for a alliance member by using the following link; <a href="http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niaa.search_display" target="_blank">http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niaa.search_display</a>&nbsp;Or call your local NI branch office. But if you are planning to do more realtime projects&nbsp;in the future this wouldn't be costs effective. Another option is to use compact fieldpoint pc controlled backplane (so there has to be a PC to control your compact fieldpoint system (not deterministic)). You can do this by using the compact fieldpoint ethernet backplane; <a href="http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202527" target="_blank">http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202527</a>&nbsp; Good luck with your project, and please let me know if there are any questions, &nbsp; Martijn ...

How can i use labview.tlb to control Labview from an external application?
Hi, I've been told by a labview engineer that i could use the file labview.tlb located in the labview install folder to control labview from an external application (in my case, a C# app). I'm using Labview 6.1 under Windows 2000. This article confirms that: "ActiveX and LabVIEW" http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/5401BE584FBAEECE862567C2006D36C7?opendocument But i've not been able to find out how to use this file to achieve what i want. I just want to be able to open/close labview, open/close a vi, start/stop a vi, hide/show a vi from a C# application. Th...

change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW
change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW hi, I am Interfacing a FrameGrabber with LabVIEW using a frame grabber SDK(dll). The memory managment of this FG allow you to allocate your own Array and to give a pointer to this Array to the memory manager. Then when you acquire with the frame grabber, the acquired image will be directly accessible in your array. 1.I give to the FG memory manager a pointer to the Labview array through a SDK Dll function. 2. I run the acquisition 3. I display the array My problem is that the Array is allways displayed with it initial val...

can Labview 7.0 control an instrument without the labview driver?
hellow,i have an instrument which do not have the labview driver,its output signal is RS232,so can i use labview7.0 to read the signal? thanks! Another possible option is to use the Instrument I/O Assistant. It is an interactive tool that generates Instrument I/O and response parsing code for you. It is very helpful in establishing a connection and helping parse instrument response data. It is pretty high level and basic, so if you want to utilize any special serial VISA functionality it may not go as deep as you would like - but it can definitely help get you started. ...

DSC module 7.1 labview 7.1, new controls and functions not showing up in labview
Dear Reader, I have installed labview 7.10 (also tried update to 7.11) and DSC module 7.1 I thought I would get additional functions and controls in labview due to installation of this module, but I do not see addtional controls or functions, althought I have searched for them and set the controls to "advance" etc. Anyone any idea what I have to do. thanks and regards. ...

Misubishi PLC control from LabVIEW via RS-232
I=92ve been tasked to build some VIs to control a Mitsubishi PLC that controls a Temp/Vibe chamber. The PLC series in question is on the OPC server support list, so that=92s not an issue. Since there are only a dozen items that I need to communicate with, I though I=92d try using Datasockets. The issue is I do not have the PLC on hand to connect to and getting to it will be a 7-hour drive. Plus this is the first time I=92ve had to control a PLC or use the OPC server at all so I=92m not exactly sure on how it works. They don=92t want to use DSC because they want to integrate the PLC control in...

Labview and PLC
Hi, &nbsp; &nbsp; I have a project where I have to communicate between Labview and Siemens PLC.&nbsp; Can anybody point me to correct direction (like reading material, Examples etc.) about how to do it? &nbsp; thanks --trupti&nbsp; The most obvious option is to use OPC to communicate between LabVIEW and the Siemens PLC.&nbsp; With just LabVIEW, you can use DataSocket for OPC, but if you have 100+ tags (IO points), you will be better off using the built-in OPC Client in LabVIEW-DSC.&nbsp; Read up on&nbsp;OPC and LabVIEW-DSC for starters. -Khalid Hi, If this...

Re: LabVIEW and LabVIEW RT?
Hello Iman, I will try to illustrate it with an example since it all will depend on the type of application you would like to implement. Let's say you would like to implement an application where you log data, maybe exchange data with databases and you acquire a bunch of data points at a time not performing any type of control and where high determinism is&nbsp;not needed. In this case LabVIEW for Windows work great. If you on the other hand would like to implement a closed-loop application where you need high determinism and reliability and will acquire data point by point you would use LabVIEW RT which is an add-on to LabVIEW. I.e. you need LabVIEW + LabVIEW RT when developing an RT application. ...

How to easily control multiple controls in labview
How can I easily control multiple controls with a single write to in Labview? For instance, I need to update 50 different boolean indicators. When I update them one at a time I use a cntrl refrence in my event structure, but outside of an event structure how can I easily cycle through them and update without making 50 local variables if I need to do them all at once? Why don't you use an array of boolean indicators? Have a look at the example attached <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;view=by_date_ascending&amp;message.id=204328#M204328" target="_blank">here</a>, which can also be applied to this. You should usually avoid updating the value of a control from more than one place, though (unless it's something like initialization, where you can guarantee not having race conditions). Other alternatives: using an array of booleans or using the picture control to create the image. The way i use these booleans in my UI, I had to make them separate so I could arrange them in a user friendly way. And yes this is just for initialization so they won't be getting updated in two places at once. ...

If i have a labview .vi file(and labview) but i want to open it in a computer that doesn't have labview, how would i do it??
Okay, i have a made a labview program and save it as.vi. &nbsp; Let's say that it is a program that when opened and you hit run it shows a sine wave. &nbsp; Now if i wanted to open up the program without Labview, ( i don't need to modify it) on a computer that doesn't have labview. How would i go about doing this?? &nbsp; Thanks, K ...

LabVIEW 8.0 changed a constant that was wired to a Case structure to a hidden control to maintain compatibility with LabVIEW 7.1 and earlier.
Y am i getting this msg? Hi, muks, This happened because "...LabVIEW does not compile code on the block diagram that does not execute. For example, LabVIEW does not compile any code that exists within the inactive subdiagrams of the Conditional Disable structure. In addition, LabVIEW does not compile code within a Case structure that has a constant wired to it that would not execute the case with the code..."In the other words, if you have case structure, which is wired to T/F constant, then prior to version 8.x both cases will be compiled. From version 8.x the only "executed" case will be compiled. So, LabVIEW replaces constant with control for ensure that both cases will be compiled as before. refer to <a href="http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361A-01/lvupgrade/labview_8_0_features/" target="_blank">this document</a> best regards,Andrey. Got it andrey thanx ...

LabVIEW
Hi ALL, I am a new user of LabVIEW. I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. However, all these signals must be filtered. But I am not sure, what type of filter most powerful. Besides, as I know, different type of signal needs differenct type of filter. Anybody can help me to solve my problems. Your kind cooperation is highly appreciated. Regards, M. Firdaus, France Fird wrote: > Hi ALL, > I am a new user of LabVIEW. > I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. > However, all these signals must be filtered. ...

How do you control seperate motors with Labview through a remote control?
Forgive me if I am not typing the question correctly, or if it is a stupid question. I am only fourteen and only started learning about Labview.. I would appreciate all help possible. Thanks What type of motors are you trying to control?&nbsp; How do you have them/plan to have them connected to your computer?&nbsp; When you say you want to control remotely, do you mean that you don't want them connected to a computer or that you want to communicate remotely through your computer (no cables)?&nbsp; The more information you can give the better help you will receive. Cheers Hi LouidSilence, It would also be helpful to know what version of LabVIEW you are using.&nbsp; It's impressive that your starting to learn LabVIEW at such a young age, it will be challenging but worth it!&nbsp; Well first off, thanks for asking questions to my questions, it helps me too :) The kind of motors I am trying to control are IFI Robotics Multi-Speed Motor Connect to PWM or RLY port (12 volt).. I am trying to remotely control it wirelessly, through an IFI Robotics Isaac16 EDU Robot Controller with 900MHz Short Range Radio Modem. Hope this Helps.. Oh yeah, and the version of LabView I am using is 8.5 Hi LoudSilence, It looks like your controller is designed to be&nbsp;programmed in BASIC.&nbsp; What you will need to do in order to control it with LabVIEW is figure out what the function calls&nbsp;are that will be required to activate your PMW signals etc.&a...

Re: "Hi,I'm having problems controlling the Agilent E4422B Signal Generator with Labview. When using the Labview driver functions such as initialize instrument I always get an Error -1074135040
Hi, Brooks. Attached please find the files containing all the information concerning my attempt to control the Agilent E4438C. Hope you can make sense of it and help me. &nbsp; Regards isaac nireport.txt: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/1/nireport.txt Capture.spy: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/2/Capture.spy CaptureSpy.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191414/3/CaptureSpy.doc Hi, If this driver supports multiple instrument models, then you will probably have to set the model in the default settings in MAX. Regards Ray FarmerMessage Edited by...

Reading controller data into LabVIEW through serial connections to controllers?
I'd like to read data from environmental chamber controllers (System Plus) into LabVIEW through RS232 connections.&nbsp; Has anyone done something similar? &nbsp;I see interfacing with the serial controllers as the biggest obstacle and although not directly related to LabVIEW programming, I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice or resources on how best to do so now days. &nbsp;My first thought is to write a program with VB or C++ to act as a terminal and write the data to a text file for LabVIEW to poll.&nbsp; Aside from using Telix decades ago to work with BBSes, my only other serial experience consists of interfacing with a Kiethly multimeter using a C++ program.&nbsp; &nbsp;I would rather not use multiple PCs but I have never worked with more than one serial port on a computer before in the past.&nbsp; Perhaps LabVIEW itself already provides for multiple serial card communications (wouldn't that be perfect)? &nbsp;Any info would be great. &nbsp;Regards, &nbsp;Dave&nbsp;&nbsp; LabVIEW has had support for serial communication for as long as I've used it and may have been part of version 1. It also supports multiple serial ports&nbsp;- built-in and USB-&gt;RS232. There are even a couple of shipping examples. I've not used this particular chamber but I've used several with serial connections. It's a matter of getting the programming manual and working through it if a driver does not al...

Labview.lib was not calld from a labview process
I am working with our labview programers to create a Labview DLL that will be called from Labview and VB6. The code works fine with Labview but I keep getting Fatal Error: Labview.lib was not calld from a labview process. I have checked the versions of development software and the runtime versions that we are using and they matche 8.0.1. We have also preformed a mass compile of the DLL with no change. &nbsp; Are there any other steps that we can take to solve this problem??? &nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument</a> &nbsp;Just to make sure you know of this article, I hope its a new one and else we can look further.<a href="http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about566915.html" target="_blank">http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about566915.html</a> Another discussion regarding the same error message.<a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument" target="_blank"></a> Message Edited by andre.buurman@carya on 06-04-2008 08:02 PM <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=127655&amp;query.id=62975#M127655" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=...

Calling a LabView DLL from a Labview VI
Hi, I have a vi that is calling a Labview DLL and they both have a same subVI. If I drop that SubVI into the block diagram first then drop in the Call Library Function Node, when I run the VI, the DLL would not work and it did not give me any error. Does anyone know how fix this problem with Labview? or is there some configuration that I can force the all of that SubVI points into the DLL. Thanks for your help, Dan ...

Installation of LabView 8 after LabView 6
Good afternoon everybody, &nbsp; I've got a big problem with LabView. The fact is that I begin with this software... I've just installed LabView 8 on a computer where LabView 6 was installed. Once the installation finished, I tried to launch a VI That was developped under the old version. &nbsp; The problem is that two VI can't be found : - AI Sample Channel.vi - AI Acquire Waveform.vi Therefore, I can't use anymore the program that was working before... What is the solution to get everything ok please ? Thank you very much ! SylvianTriquigneaux, the VI will now...

how to make my labview codings as a package for labview
Hello NI, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I made drivers for some thrid party instruments, which is compatable for serial port and&nbsp;Ethernet.&nbsp;I have several vi's for that i cant able to share these vi's to my friends. i just want to build one package of my driver, also i want to install these package to labview user library. &nbsp; Tell me some good suggestion for this. &nbsp; With&nbsp;warm regards, Balaji DP Application Engineer, Gantner&nbsp;Instruments.&nbsp; The easiest way is to do a development distribution (File&gt;&gt;Save As. If your needs are more complex, you can also try <a href="http://jkisoft.com/vipm/" target="_blank">VIPM</a>. I don't&nbsp;think the free version can do this, but it's worth it just for getting the OpenG code. where i can find this development distribution ? is there option available in labview? If you re using LV versions &gt; 7.x, you can create an LLB by using the option Save As... in the Files menu. You have to just open the top-level VI of that driver (or something) &amp; go on to build the LLB. All other VIs will get added/bundled into it automatically. :smileyhappy: In LV 7.x, I think it ll be under the Tools &gt;&gt; Build Source Distribution menu... balaji_dp@yahoo.com wrote:Hello NI, &nb...

How do I use a LabView control element as ActiveX Control in another application?
I am was trying to include some simple ActiveX Controls(sliders, buttons) in my VBScript. It worked with other ActiveX Components from the web, however I wasn't able to include the LabView ActiveX Controls because I was missing the necessary IDs. Moreover I was able to test the LabView control by inserting it into the VC++- Test Container. But I still can't find the necessary IDs... I don't believe that any of the LabVIEW controls (except for 3D Graphs) are ActiveX controls so I'm not sure what control you were able to insert into the VC++ container. What's the exact name ...

How do I control flow through MKS Mass Flow Controller using Labview
How do I control flow through MKS Mass Flow Controller using Labview? Im new to LabVIEW please let me know bout it in detail. Thanks for all the help. ...

Error Code &quot;1097.....this might corrupted LABVIEW's memory..........&quot; appears after exit the labview and re-start labview
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a probelm when I use the "tool/import shared library(.dll)" wizard&nbsp;to generate the&nbsp;API from C. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The API &nbsp;works correctly when I complete the wizard, but after I exit labview and re-start labview to run&nbsp;the API&nbsp;again. The error 1097 code "......this might corrupted LABVIEW's memory.............."appears. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The only solution now is to re-generate or update the wizard to&nbsp;generate the API. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I try to find the answer in &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58596F5D41CE8EFB862562AF0074E04C?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58596F5D41CE8EFB862562AF0074E04C?OpenDocument</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The paragraph in above article shows ........................... &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "LabVIEW does not crash until it is closedThe most likely problem is that the DLL function being called has corrupted th...

Compatability from Labview 5 to labview 7 express?
I am having a problem where I may have to write a VI on labview 5 on one computer, then move it to a second computer running labview 7 express. Are there any compatability issues I may have to deal with in doing this? there is not supposed to any compatibility issues with version 5. You would have a problem going backwards from 7 to 5 but not from going from 5 to 7.At least that is the way it is supposed to work. Joe Hello Kura, LabVIEW 7.0 will open and convert LabVIEW 5 VI=92s. There are occasionally conversion issues, just depending on what is involved in the VI (the bulk of which bein...

labview crashing when calling labview-built dll
Hello I need some help with regard to calling a LabVIEW-built DLL in LabVIEW.I have created a vi in LabVIEW. I made the DLL for this vi. I called this VI as a re-entrant in another vi.This vi(calling DLL) has been working fine till yesterday. Since yesterday, it started crashing LV.I need some help in this regard.I am attaching the screenshots of the Application Builder configuration window, the B.D of the vi using DLL and that of the configuration window which pops up when i call the DLL.I made a vi which performs FRA. I built its DLL.I have around 10 inputs. I output 3 one-dimensional arrays, and a string from the DLL.When i build the DLL, the builder defines the outputs 'gain', 'phase' and 'frequency' as arrays of 8-byte double.When i call this DLL in my vi, the configuration window sets them as 'numeric' outputs.Why does this happen? What is the solution to this?When i try to set them as 'array' in this configuration window, i get a warning that i am trying to change the data types which do not match with the data type found in the DLL. Is this the problem with my code or with the Application Builder?Now, after i change the 3 output datatypes to Arrays, and set their minimum length(i assumed that this value means the size of the array ), the vi runs and crashes LV. I am nto sure when it crashes, why it crashes. It runs fine at one time. It crashes at another time. I am nto sure if these arrays are teh reason why L...

Web resources about - LabVIEW to control a PLC - comp.lang.labview

LabVIEW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LabVIEW (short for Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench) is a system-design platform and development environment for a visual ...

LabVIEW - Geekosystem
Don we now our gay apparel, and why shouldn’t that apparel be primarily composed of Christmas lights synchronized to flash with music ? Andy ...

National Instruments - LinkedIn
Welcome to the company profile of National Instruments on LinkedIn. It's not what we make. It's what we make possible. National Instruments is ...

Products / Home - g.tec - Guger Technologies
g.tec medical and electrical engineering produces biosignal amplifiers, data acquisition systems, real-time processing systems and EEG Processing ...

School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering - Computing Facilities
In particular, we have technical interests in common with the other Engineering Schools (Chemical, Civil & Environmental, Mechanical and Computer ...

Handy Arduino Uno R3 Pinout Diagram

Curriculum Vitae - Stefano Meroli
Curriculum Vitae - Stefano Meroli

Testing Engineering Supervisor
Testing Engineering Supervisor job. Read the Testing Engineering Supervisor job description and find other Division 10 Personnel jobs at Monster. ...

Knowledge and Content Management: A Foundation for Business Success
Knowledge management and enterprise content management are increasingly at the center of a successful business strategy.