object-oriented LabVIEW

Is OO LabVIEW all that useful?  The tool is for non-programmers.  Why would you add the formal artifacts of OO and force unwieldy implementations of design patterns on this piece of crap?
-1
mathbadger77

Reference Objects in LabVIEW
Several attendees requested LabVIEW 8.5 data for the benchmarks I showed at my NI Week presentation - TS1284 - Reference Objects in LabVIEW.  In addition, the severe performance degradation seen in Datasockets going from LabVIEW 7.1 to 8.2 was an artifact of my testing environment.  I have fixed it and now actually see a performance improvement.  I have updated the presentation and zipped it and the test code in the attachment below.  I also tested in LabVIEW 8.5 with the following results, which can be compared to the presentation (same experimental setup).10,000 DBL read/write cyclesMode - Time (ms)Global - 7.6Single Process Shared Variable - 12.8Network Shared Variable - 1980Datasocket - 10700Configuration VI - 745Control Reference - 2440GOOP 1.0 - 2000LV2 Global - Semaphore - 294LV2 Global - Action Engine - 13.7Single Element Queue - 41.4Read of 1MByte BufferMode - Time (ms) Global - 0.000300 Single Process Shared Variable - 0.000309 Network Shared Variable - 0.125 Datasocket - 7.05 Configuration VI - 168.0 Control Reference - 0.000726 GOOP 1.0 - 0.00538 LV2 Global - Semaphore - 0.00295 LV2 Global - Action Engine - 0.00161 Single Element Queue - 0.000314Performance is generally worse if launched from the project rather than opening the test VI directly.  Note that the network shared variable must be used from a project.As expected, the network shared variable is much better.  The global is 50% faster for scalars than i...

change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW
change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW hi, I am Interfacing a FrameGrabber with LabVIEW using a frame grabber SDK(dll). The memory managment of this FG allow you to allocate your own Array and to give a pointer to this Array to the memory manager. Then when you acquire with the frame grabber, the acquired image will be directly accessible in your array. 1.I give to the FG memory manager a pointer to the Labview array through a SDK Dll function. 2. I run the acquisition 3. I display the array My problem is that the Array is allways displayed with it initial val...

Video
LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming, or LVOOP for short, has been around for about a year now. Have you had time to take a look at it? If not, it's about the time. I made you a short video on the very basics of LVOOP development process. It doesn't go into details of inheritance and all that but it gives you and idea on how to get started. <a href="http://expressionflow.com/2007/07/23/labview-object-oriented-programming-introductory-walktrough/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming Introductory Walktrough</a> ...

Re: LabVIEW and LabVIEW RT?
Hello Iman, I will try to illustrate it with an example since it all will depend on the type of application you would like to implement. Let's say you would like to implement an application where you log data, maybe exchange data with databases and you acquire a bunch of data points at a time not performing any type of control and where high determinism is&nbsp;not needed. In this case LabVIEW for Windows work great. If you on the other hand would like to implement a closed-loop application where you need high determinism and reliability and will acquire data point by point you would use LabVIEW RT which is an add-on to LabVIEW. I.e. you need LabVIEW + LabVIEW RT when developing an RT application. ...

Sir , i want to use object orientation features in my labview application.
My vi's are very big and complex.I want to make my vi's readable and maintainable.sir i hv heard that my main vi can have only some modules which can be there somewhere else.i know how to use subvi's. Hi golu, Try here for starter; http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzone.nsf/webcategories/8CF4C1FC9432BAAA862567AC00581392 regards Ray Farmer ...

If i have a labview .vi file(and labview) but i want to open it in a computer that doesn't have labview, how would i do it??
Okay, i have a made a labview program and save it as.vi. &nbsp; Let's say that it is a program that when opened and you hit run it shows a sine wave. &nbsp; Now if i wanted to open up the program without Labview, ( i don't need to modify it) on a computer that doesn't have labview. How would i go about doing this?? &nbsp; Thanks, K ...

LabVIEW
Hi ALL, I am a new user of LabVIEW. I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. However, all these signals must be filtered. But I am not sure, what type of filter most powerful. Besides, as I know, different type of signal needs differenct type of filter. Anybody can help me to solve my problems. Your kind cooperation is highly appreciated. Regards, M. Firdaus, France Fird wrote: > Hi ALL, > I am a new user of LabVIEW. > I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. > However, all these signals must be filtered. ...

LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming: R&D Technical White Paper (LV8.2)
LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming: The Decisions Behind the Design A white paper from LabVIEW R&amp;D &nbsp;LabVIEW: A piece of software celebrating its 20th birthday this year. Is it a design tool? Is it a programming language? It is both, and because it is both it has been a major boon to scientists and engineers who need to program the computer without getting the computer scientists involved. Whenever we, the LabVIEW developers, want to add new features, we must consider that the majority of our customers are not programmers. In version 8.2, we are introducing LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming (LabVOOP). Object orientation (OO) is a programming style full of abstract concepts and technical vocabulary. Most explanations of it require either an intimate knowledge of programming or a long learning curve. We aimed to streamline that complexity with the goal of making the power of OO accessible to a wide range of our users. The result may surprise OO proponents familiar with other programming languages. This paper lays out the design decisions and the reasoning behind those decisions as we created LabVOOP. This paper assumes some familiarity with LabVOOP. You might consider reviewing the relevant sections of the LabVIEW Help and the example programs before continuing. LabVOOP White Paper v1.5.doc: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/199651/1/LabVOOP White Paper v1.5.doc Woh... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...

How to save in labview 7, from labview 8
Need to open my LV 8 VI in LV7, due to different plattforms... &nbsp; How do I make it possible? Hi, You will have to save out your VI&nbsp;using LabVIEW 8 first, select the Save with options. Then you can select the previous version, which probably is 7.1. ( You will have to repeat the procedure using LV7.1) If you have used any of the new functions and featured in your VI(s), then these will be lost when you save backwards. Hope this helps Regards Ray Farmer Hi Ray, 1) I was just trying your advice on my system and I don't see 'Save with Option' .&nbsp; There is Save, and Save As.. 2) I have a llb file and I wish to know which version it is...how can I find out?&nbsp; (I'm using 8.01).&nbsp; I suspect it is 7.1 and I get bunch of errors when it opens. 3) If the vi is 7.1, will LabView automatically convert it to 8.0? Thanks Rafi &nbsp; p.s. I'm mainly a CVI developer, and apologize for the "basic" questions... Rafi, Thats the trouble when you dont have labview in front of you. Looking at the manual chapter 7-7, there should, be under menu item File a 'Save&nbsp;For Previous Version'. I think under the VI Properties, under the change history,&nbsp;you should be able to find out what version it is. LabVIEW will try to convert automatically, but there are some issue that it cannot cope with. The release notes should identify these. Regards Ray Farmer &nbsp; ...

Calling a LabView DLL from a Labview VI
Hi, I have a vi that is calling a Labview DLL and they both have a same subVI. If I drop that SubVI into the block diagram first then drop in the Call Library Function Node, when I run the VI, the DLL would not work and it did not give me any error. Does anyone know how fix this problem with Labview? or is there some configuration that I can force the all of that SubVI points into the DLL. Thanks for your help, Dan ...

BS2sx and Labview

Labview.lib was not calld from a labview process
I am working with our labview programers to create a Labview DLL that will be called from Labview and VB6. The code works fine with Labview but I keep getting Fatal Error: Labview.lib was not calld from a labview process. I have checked the versions of development software and the runtime versions that we are using and they matche 8.0.1. We have also preformed a mass compile of the DLL with no change. &nbsp; Are there any other steps that we can take to solve this problem??? &nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument</a> &nbsp;Just to make sure you know of this article, I hope its a new one and else we can look further.<a href="http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about566915.html" target="_blank">http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about566915.html</a> Another discussion regarding the same error message.<a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A4C3AEF93240280A86256931006FB66C?OpenDocument" target="_blank"></a> Message Edited by andre.buurman@carya on 06-04-2008 08:02 PM <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=127655&amp;query.id=62975#M127655" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=...

how to make my labview codings as a package for labview
Hello NI, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I made drivers for some thrid party instruments, which is compatable for serial port and&nbsp;Ethernet.&nbsp;I have several vi's for that i cant able to share these vi's to my friends. i just want to build one package of my driver, also i want to install these package to labview user library. &nbsp; Tell me some good suggestion for this. &nbsp; With&nbsp;warm regards, Balaji DP Application Engineer, Gantner&nbsp;Instruments.&nbsp; The easiest way is to do a development distribution (File&gt;&gt;Save As. If your needs are more complex, you can also try <a href="http://jkisoft.com/vipm/" target="_blank">VIPM</a>. I don't&nbsp;think the free version can do this, but it's worth it just for getting the OpenG code. where i can find this development distribution ? is there option available in labview? If you re using LV versions &gt; 7.x, you can create an LLB by using the option Save As... in the Files menu. You have to just open the top-level VI of that driver (or something) &amp; go on to build the LLB. All other VIs will get added/bundled into it automatically. :smileyhappy: In LV 7.x, I think it ll be under the Tools &gt;&gt; Build Source Distribution menu... balaji_dp@yahoo.com wrote:Hello NI, &nb...

Installation of LabView 8 after LabView 6
Good afternoon everybody, &nbsp; I've got a big problem with LabView. The fact is that I begin with this software... I've just installed LabView 8 on a computer where LabView 6 was installed. Once the installation finished, I tried to launch a VI That was developped under the old version. &nbsp; The problem is that two VI can't be found : - AI Sample Channel.vi - AI Acquire Waveform.vi Therefore, I can't use anymore the program that was working before... What is the solution to get everything ok please ? Thank you very much ! SylvianTriquigneaux, the VI will now be opened in LV 8 instead of LV 6. So you need all the components which have been used during developement in 6 in 8 as well. The VIs you are missing are from the DAQ-driver. Since the DAQ-driver has been rewritten in the times of LV 7, the new driver is called DAQmx. This one is not available for LV 6, but is the driver which is currently installed with LV (if you installed it with the drivers at all...). The "old" driver has been changed a little and named "traditional DAQ" nowadays. You should find the missing VIs in the API from the trad. DAQ. So i asume that everything you have to do is: install trad. DAQ. You can find a downloadable version <a href="http://search.ni.com/nisearch/nisearchservlet?nistype=default&amp;filter=+%2BProductLine%3A41+%2BDownloadType%3A%22Traditional+NI-DAQ+%28Legacy%29%22+%2BVersion%3A%227.4.2%22+%2Bcontentformat%3Asoftwarel...

Error Code &quot;1097.....this might corrupted LABVIEW's memory..........&quot; appears after exit the labview and re-start labview
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a probelm when I use the "tool/import shared library(.dll)" wizard&nbsp;to generate the&nbsp;API from C. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The API &nbsp;works correctly when I complete the wizard, but after I exit labview and re-start labview to run&nbsp;the API&nbsp;again. The error 1097 code "......this might corrupted LABVIEW's memory.............."appears. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The only solution now is to re-generate or update the wizard to&nbsp;generate the API. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I try to find the answer in &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58596F5D41CE8EFB862562AF0074E04C?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58596F5D41CE8EFB862562AF0074E04C?OpenDocument</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The paragraph in above article shows ........................... &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "LabVIEW does not crash until it is closedThe most likely problem is that the DLL function being called has corrupted th...

labview crashing when calling labview-built dll
Hello I need some help with regard to calling a LabVIEW-built DLL in LabVIEW.I have created a vi in LabVIEW. I made the DLL for this vi. I called this VI as a re-entrant in another vi.This vi(calling DLL) has been working fine till yesterday. Since yesterday, it started crashing LV.I need some help in this regard.I am attaching the screenshots of the Application Builder configuration window, the B.D of the vi using DLL and that of the configuration window which pops up when i call the DLL.I made a vi which performs FRA. I built its DLL.I have around 10 inputs. I output 3 one-dimensional arrays, and a string from the DLL.When i build the DLL, the builder defines the outputs 'gain', 'phase' and 'frequency' as arrays of 8-byte double.When i call this DLL in my vi, the configuration window sets them as 'numeric' outputs.Why does this happen? What is the solution to this?When i try to set them as 'array' in this configuration window, i get a warning that i am trying to change the data types which do not match with the data type found in the DLL. Is this the problem with my code or with the Application Builder?Now, after i change the 3 output datatypes to Arrays, and set their minimum length(i assumed that this value means the size of the array ), the vi runs and crashes LV. I am nto sure when it crashes, why it crashes. It runs fine at one time. It crashes at another time. I am nto sure if these arrays are teh reason why L...

Is LabVIEW Runtime required for a DLL created by LabVIEW ?
Hi &nbsp; Could some one&nbsp;advice me on this matter please. I am trying to build a DLL for a set of functions created in LabVIEW. Now I am&nbsp; wondering if I need to use it with some other language like VB or C++, do I need to install the LabVIEW runtime of the same version as the original functions ? &nbsp; Any settings required while creating the DLL ? I am trying to&nbsp;create it in LV 7.0 &nbsp; Thanks in advance Deepu. &nbsp; Hi Deepu, yes, if you want to use a dll, which is created with LabView you have to install&nbsp;the runtime engine. Mike Alright Mike, Thanks ! I was&nbsp;hoping it would work without the LabVIEW runtime. Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. Rgds Deepu. ...

Magazines oriented on LabVIEW
Hi all, as a part of research at the university we developed software for Optical Coherence Tomography that is capable of handling all the instruments involved and assuring the measurement as well as processing and depicting of measured data. The application consist of 4QSM and P/C design, there are some interesting techniques like retriggerable data acquisition, envelope detection, data decimation. We wrote an article about it which describes the OCT system in general and then focuses on LabVIEW programming describing used techniques. I would like to submit this article in some scientific journal because we faced and solved issues that may help others who are building such an apparatus. So my question is if you know some LabVIEW oriented journal where we could submit it. Cheers and thank for advices I've never come across a LabVIEW-oriented journal, and I doubt that any exist. Your best bet is to focus on the concept of what you're doing and the algorithm, rather than the language you used to implement it, and submit it to a journal that specializes in the field for which this applies. The only publication that I am aware of was LabVIEW Technical Resource (LTR). I subscribed for the last year they were in business, but the discontinued publication some years ago...Additional Info: <a href="http://wiki.lavag.org/LabVIEW_Technical_Resource" target="_blank">http://wiki.lavag.org/LabVIEW_Technical_Resource</a> I thought about the LTR...

Compatability from Labview 5 to labview 7 express?
I am having a problem where I may have to write a VI on labview 5 on one computer, then move it to a second computer running labview 7 express. Are there any compatability issues I may have to deal with in doing this? there is not supposed to any compatibility issues with version 5. You would have a problem going backwards from 7 to 5 but not from going from 5 to 7.At least that is the way it is supposed to work. Joe Hello Kura, LabVIEW 7.0 will open and convert LabVIEW 5 VI=92s. There are occasionally conversion issues, just depending on what is involved in the VI (the bulk of which bein...

labview 8.0 to labview 7.0
Hi, Can somebody save the below VIs in LV 8.0&nbsp;for LV 7.0, please... ?! Find Power Interrupt Time.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/335061/1/Find Power Interrupt Time.vi Remove Element(s) from Array.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/335061/2/Remove Element(s) from Array.vi Hi Partha,Here are the VIs in LV7.0.Have a nice day Find Power Interrupt Time.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/335070/1/Find Power Interrupt Time.vi Remove Element(s) from Array.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/335070/2/Remove Element(s) from Array.vi ...

.Net object in labview
Hi, In labview 7.1 and 8.0 the .NET controls are introduced. I found several examples on how to use a .NET object in labview (calculator, Event callback for data watcher)) But now I want to create my own .NET object in visual studio but i don't know where to start... What kind of project should i use? Is there somewhere on the internet a visual studio sample code of a .NET object that i can use in labview? I'm aware that this might not be the correct newsgroup, but probably there are some experts here in this group that can answer my question... Thanx in advance, Jos Hermans. I don't believe there is anything special about creating a .NET class that can be used in LabVIEW since we can access just about any object. If you want a boundary, I would say it should be CLS compliate (Common Language Specification). If you build it with VB.NET or C#, you are going to be fine. If you use C++.NET, you have to be more careful since you can easily create code that isn't CLS in C++.NET. &nbsp; I would recommend picking a C# Command Line project in Visual Studio to get the "Hello World" program working. Just a simple class that outputs some text to the screen. Once you have that down, you want the C# Class Library project to make stuff you can access in LabVIEW. &nbsp; Why C# over VB.NET? Personal preference. I think the C# syntax is easier to learn than VB.NET, but there are a lot of VB programmers out there that would disagree. But either should ...

LabVIEW Documentation Survey: LabVIEW Style Checklist
The LabVIEW Documenation team is conducting a survey to assess certain aspects of the LabVIEW Style Checklist. &nbsp; This survey will be used to evaluate and improve the LabVIEW documentation. This survey will be used for research purposes only. &nbsp; The LabVIEW Style Checklist provides users with a list of tips on how to maintain consistent style and quality throughout their applications. &nbsp; Please click the link below if you would like to participate in the survey. <a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=RPQfHExakBuK_2fFU5sCBNhQ_3d_3d" target="_blank">http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=RPQfHExakBuK_2fFU5sCBNhQ_3d_3d</a> <a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=AqLMsyCycYCxWDf570GIFw_3d_3d" target="_blank"></a> ...

LabVIEW Documentation Survey: LabVIEW Upgrade Notes
The LabVIEW Documenation team is conducting a survey to assess certain aspects of the LabVIEW Upgrade Notes. &nbsp; This survey will be used to evaluate and improve the LabVIEW documentation. This survey will be used for research purposes only. The LabVIEW Upgrade Notes contain upgrade information including: compatibility issues you might experience when upgrading to the new version of LabVIEW and the new features that the new version of LabVIEW contains. &nbsp; Please click the link below if you would like to participate in the survey. &nbsp; <a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=AqLMsyCycYCxWDf570GIFw_3d_3d" target="_blank">http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=AqLMsyCycYCxWDf570GIFw_3d_3d</a> ...

Should I call C from LabVIEW or call LabVIEW from C?
I need to write some software and am trying to choose the best development environment. I currently use Borland C++ Builder to develop most of my software and have also used some LabVIEW occasionally. The new package I need to write has to provide several functions, some of which would be better in C++, some in LabVIEW and I am wondering whether to combine the two. So far, I have had a quick play around and called a very basic piece LabVIEW code, built into a dll, from some C++ code. I am about to try to reverse (create dll in C++ and call from LabVIEW) but would appreciate some advice on the advantages/disadvantages of each method. &nbsp; Restrictions I have: 1. I will (probably) be using some hardware which will be supplied with C++ driver functions only. My interface with this card is the 'heart' of my system and is time-critical. Also, I need to assign a pointer to pass to this card (could I do this in LabVIEW?) 2. I wish to analyse data from the card using FFT and related functions so would ideally use the LabVIEW Sound &amp; Vibration and Order Analysis toolkits. I need to use these in real-time where the data sampling rate is fairly high (frequency analysis to be done on 4 channels at once with each channel sampled at approx 100kHz). &nbsp; To add to this, I would like to be able to create/modify the display screen at run-time - something which I am fine with in C++ but understand is very difficult in LabVIEW (I have only used LabVIEW for relatively...

Web resources about - object-oriented LabVIEW - comp.lang.labview

Object-oriented analysis and design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Object-oriented analysis and design (OOAD) is a popular technical approach to analyzing, designing an application, system, or business by applying ...

Mastering Object Oriented Design in C++

Recommended Books on Java and Object Oriented Design
Bill Venners' list of recommended books on Java and object oriented Design, including Patterns

Monads in an Object Oriented context
... of type u. Finally, the monad-related structure is reassembled over all of the results, giving a single value of type (M u). In object-oriented ...

A Realistic Look at Object-Oriented Reuse - Dr Dobb's Features: January 1998: A Realistic Look at Object-Oriented ...
Software tools and techniques for global software development. Dr. Dobb's features articles, source code, blogs,forums,video tutorials, and audio ...

Circa's object-oriented approach to news
... it difficult to know whether he is describing a software or a news startup. Cohn says that’s exactly the point. Circa is making object-oriented ...

On F# and Object Oriented Guilt
... a memory segment. It could be a disk segment. It could be something else, as long as it plays nicely and follows the rules. I have three objects ...

Functional Programming for the Object-Oriented Programmer
I’m somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way through a new book, Functional Programming for the Object-Oriented Programming , based on the tutorial ...

Circa’s Object-Oriented Approach To Building The News
News startup Circa is taking a programmatic approach to mobile news. FastCo.Labs talks to founding editor David Cohn about abandoning the article... ...

Object Oriented CSS · stubbornella/oocss Wiki · GitHub
Object Oriented CSS Framework. Contribute to oocss development by creating an account on GitHub.