Re: tabbing order in tab controls

Is there a way to change the tabbing order without having the order on a list or local change also? I didn't take that into account when making the program, should have ordered all the control before wiring it all up :-/
0
x9561 (148440)

Hi leachdor,When you change the tab order of a specific control in LabVIEW, it must then re-order the other controls in order to ensure that each tab order value is only applied to one control, and that there are only as many tab stops as there are controls.  As such, there is no way to simply re-order a single control without modifying other controls.
0
x9561 (148440)
5/5/2008 9:40:08 PM
Hi and thanks for the response. I think I may have explained the behavior i'm seeing wrong.  Changing the tab order, you have those two little boxes the first showing the changed order number, and the black background one that shows what it was previously.  Each time you change one, yep you have to change the order of the rest otherwise you might tab and select two fields at once!The behavior I'm not sure about though, is when I change them to the proper order on the front page, it changes my block diagram.  For example if I have a cluster with 3 items in it, and I change the tab order of the items inside that cluster.  Then if I had previously used an "unbundle" function prior to the tab order change, and it was all wired up with item 1 at the top, item 2 in the middle output, and item 3 as the bottom output - AFTER the change, those controls are no longer at the same outputs.  Given this, if they already had wires coming off them, i'm now sending an incorrect value to the wire attached to that output (since item 1 might no longer be on the top output)(Can be recreated with a simple VI with 1 cluster as above, with an indicator off each.  Write a string in each one, output to indicator, then change tab order but nothing else and rerun.  Now the bundle changes.)I'm not sure how it would behave with an "unbundle by name" but in this case I need the "unbundle" several times...which is making for a pain if I want to use the tab control.
0
x9561 (148440)
5/8/2008 1:10:10 PM
One of the advantages of using the "Unbundle by Name" rather than the Unbundle is that it is imune from cluster definition changes as you have observed in your code. it is from this reason that I rarely use the bundle/unbundle version prefering the "... by Name" flavor.

I hope that helps,

Ben
0
x9561 (148440)
5/8/2008 2:10:05 PM
You can also programatically control the tab order on your front panel, and it really isn't very hard.  The process is as follows: - Create an array of all the controls you want to tab through.  This can include controls buried inside tab controls or clusters (which is one of the nice things about this method).  The order of the controls in the array is the tab order.
- In your code, use an event structure with the VI event Key Down? selected.  That "?" is very important, because it allows you to intercept and throw away the event after you are finished with it so the normal tab behavior does not occur.
 - Use a local shift register or some other safe storage mechanism (action engine, single-element queue) to store the current index in the list of control you will be tabbing through.
 - In the event, put a case structure.  If the key is anything but a Tab, set the Discard input to FALSE and pass through all the other parameters.
- If the key is a Tab, increment the index (make sure it wraps when it hits the end), index the array of controls to get the control reference, and set the Key Focus property of the control to TRUE.  Now check to see if the Key Focus is TRUE (it won't be if the control is hidden).  If Key Focus is not TRUE, increment the index and try again... Don't forget to set the Discard input on the event structure to TRUE.
 You will probably want to implement Shift-Tab behavior as well, but that is an easy modification (subtract one instead of adding one to the index).  This method lends itself very well to dynamic applications.  If you have a subpanel you want to inject in your tabbing order, on load, add the subpanel control references to the array of control references at the correct location.My apologies for not posting code.  I could not find the example I wrote many moons ago :smileysad:  I will continue looking and post it if I can find it.  Let me know if you have any questions.
0
x9561 (148440)

tabbing order in tab controls
Hi How can I set the tabbing order of controls in a tab control on the front panel when having several other controls on the front panel. Right-click on the tab and select "Reorder controls In page" from the menu that pops up. This is not exactly what I meant. When I'm creating a local variable I can choose its destination (right-click - select item). Because there are so many I would like to reorder the tabbing order to choose the correct on the top. All this action are taken in the block diagramm. From the edit menu, select Set Tabbing order changing the tabbing order will ...

Tab order in Tab Control
Hey, I have a modeless dialog (as the main window) which contains a tab control. For each tab I have a child window. My problem lies in tabbing through the controls. As of now I can only tab through the controls in the main dialog. That is, the only control here is the tab control. What I want to achieve is to be able to tab through the controls on the current active tab's page. Any idea on how to do this? Thanks! Soren Dreijer wrote: > My problem lies in tabbing through the controls. As of now I can > only tab through the controls in the main dialog. Th...

Tab control in one of the tabs of another tab control
One of my colleagues is working with a tab control. He has several tabs. He is trying to embed another tab control inside one of the tabs of the first tab control. He had placed the second tab control inside one of the tabs of the first tab control. But the problem is that the second tab control does not show up (unless one goes to the block diagram and double clicks the second tab control, only then does it shows up; when the vi is closed and reopened its again not there). I told him that I had never seen such functionality (a tab control inside another tab control) in any application but is ...

Re: a2k
Deano wrote: > I have 3 groups of controls each in their own frame and all are > sitting on a page in a tab control. > > I want the user to be able to tab between the controls in each frame; > at the moment tabbing can move the cursor to another frame, which is > a bit disconcerting when the user is filling out some address fields. > > I've played around with the tab index properties manually and even > tried to set them using VBA. > However if I do this I find some controls actually disappear! To > correct this I have to use Auto Order. > > Apart fr...

Re: TAB to navigate in tab order
Bob Davis wrote: >In my case where I didnt have a message pump I put the following in the >app implementation and it fixed it: > >BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(MyApp, wxApp) > EVT_CHAR(MyApp::OnChar) >END_EVENT_TABLE() > >void MyApp::OnChar(wxKeyEvent& event) >{ > if ( event.GetKeyCode() == WXK_TAB) { > wxNavigationKeyEvent eventNav; > eventNav.SetDirection(!event.ShiftDown()); > eventNav.SetWindowChange(event.ControlDown()); > eventNav.SetEventObject(event.GetEventObje...

Tab order on multirow tab control
Is there a way to stop the default action of a multirow tab control whereby the row with focus moves to the front of the tabs? I find this behaviour annoying and confusing to the user and am at a loss as to why MS has designed their tab controls like this. Wayne wrote: > Is there a way to stop the default action of a multirow tab control > whereby the row with focus moves to the front of the tabs? I find > this behaviour annoying and confusing to the user and am at a loss as > to why MS has designed their tab controls like this. ALL multi-row tabs act this way. How else can y...

How can I set the tab order of text box controls on each page of a tab control?
I need to be able to select the tabbing order of individual controls on a single page of a tabbed control. How?? In LV 6.1 an up you should be ablel to right click on the edge of the tab control when the tab-page in question is selected. The bttom selcetion in the pop-up is "Reoder controls in page..." selecting this option will switch editing modes to allow you to specify the ored, just like in a cluster. I seem to remeber in older versions you had to drag the tabable controls off the tab control, specify the tabbing oder and then drag them back on. The oldest version I have on ...

Re: TAB to navigate in tab order #2
Hi, I got to the source of the problems: my wxNotebook was placed directly on a wxFrame. So folks, never do this, or you'll get focus switch disorders. Instead, whenever you make a wxFrame, place a wxPanel firstly on it, then place whatever else you might need (a wxNotebook in my case). Cheers, Cristina. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.or...

Tab control with no tabs
Hi All I have been writing wxWindow code for a couple of days now and I am attempting an embedded (CE) gui which I have made some headway with. My gui has three wxFrames which I switch between to display three different sets of information to the user. I really need to be able to switch these screens programatically but I'm not sure what the best way is. I am thinking wxNoteBook control with three panels for the screens with zero height tabs to hide them. Only I don't seem to be able to set the tab size on the wxnotebook. Thoughts anyone?? TIA Nick "Nick W...

tab control inside another tab control
Hi. Is it possible to put a tab control inside another tab control. I tried it several times, but for some reason this doesn't seem to work. Can someone confirm this, or tell me what the trick is. Thanks. -- Georges The only way I know to do this is to put a subform on the first tab control. Then you can put your second tab control on the subform. If you do this repeatedly, however, you will find the form loading rather slowly. HTH - Turtle "Georges Heinesch" <news@geohei.lu> wrote in message news:3fe82fb8$1_2@news.vo.lu... > Hi. > > Is it possible to...

Re: Password Protect a Single Tab in Dialog Tab Control
I just wanted to comment on the use of passwords at start up.&nbsp; I have a program in which I password protect the setup variables with the property nodes using a sub vi to enable / disable the 'visibility' of the controls.&nbsp; the reason for this is that the program is running a system in line with a production facility providing data on QC.&nbsp; Therefore it is never shut down or re-started.&nbsp; For me I have to control access while the software is running and LabView does a great job letting you do this by hiding and enabling certain controls. BTW, I do all of...

Tab control within another tab control
I am creating a form with a tab control containing 10 tabs. and what I want to do is on only on of the tabs, I want a sub section of tabs. So what it ends up being is one main tab control with another tab control embedded into only one of the tab pages. The problem I am getting is when I insert the sub section tab control into one of the tabs from the main tab control, the sub section tab control appears in every tab in the main tab control. Can anyone help? What do I need to do so it only appears in one tab, not all. Thanks As you found, you cannot place a tab control on one of the pages...

Tab Tab
How can I direct the output from pressing tab tab to a file? Op 4 Aug 2004 12:39:13 -0700 schreef gnosis: > How can I direct the output from pressing tab tab to a file? gawk 'BEGIN {print "\t\t"}'</dev/null >file -- There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl http://freeware.family.filternet.nl Linux counter #360967, "In a world without fences, who needs gates?" gnosis wrote: > How can I direct the output from pressing tab tab to a file? I'm not sure I understand the ...

Tab order
>From the dev guide and older threads the only way I can see to set the tab order is by the control order. But what if I want some odd tab order that's different from the control order? For example, if I use a tabpanel, which the control order is very specific in RB or else all the controls get screwed up. So I have all my controls working on the tabpanel but I want my own tab order. Any way to do this? It seems like there should be an option to make a custom order, regardless of the control order.....or maybe I'm missing something. In article <1105575553.895968.164450...

Web resources about - Re: tabbing order in tab controls - comp.lang.labview

Gina Rinehart takes control of Roy Hill
Hancock Prospecting's Roy Hill iron ore company has taken control of the Pilbara operation from head contractor Samsung C&amp;T, which has suffered ...

New online tool in cane toad control
A free mapping service could help invested groups work towards more targeted control methods for cane toads in Queensland.

Sandy Bay blaze under control
A FIRE at a property in Sandy Bay has been brought under control, a witness says.

Robots to bring down 87-metre tall Sydney Harbour Control Tower
It's been called a &quot;hypodermic in God's bum&quot; and a &quot;concrete mushroom&quot;. And soon it will be gone.

Let Aboriginal people take control of their destiny
Australia will move forward when it cedes power to Indigenous people and demands accountability.

Gina Rinehart takes control of Roy Hill
Hancock Prospecting's Roy Hill iron ore company has taken control of the Pilbara operation from head contractor Samsung C&T, which has suffered ...

OSFI takes over control of Maple Bank assets in Canada
Canada's top banking regulator has taken temporary control of the Canadian assets of a German bank called Maple Bank GmbH.

Beyond Biglaw: 3 Quality Control Tips For Firms
... fierce, and enhanced by the expressed the desire of many corporate clients to keep as much work as possible in-house, a focus on quality control ...