reading serial port data, sending to HP printer with JetDirect card via ethernet

I think this is possible, but I don't know how to forward data read
from an RS-232 port to an IP-based printer connection.  I'm using
LabVIEW 6i, and am a beginner ( < 6 mos. hands-on use).  Any helpful
suggestions would be appreciated.

I have an Agilent 1100 HPLC sans Chemstation.  The handheld controller
is OK, but it does not store ANY data, so whatever is on the screen at
the time is all you get.  I can print the current screen using a
softkey on the controller, and the data for the print job is sent
through the RS-232 port on back of the detector.

A second task (easy) is just grabbing the analog 0 - 1V max (BNC1,2)
signals and then saving the data for analysis.  HOWEVER, there are
some things that show up on the controller LCD that I do need
(backpressure, flowrate, wavelengths observed, etc., so this print job
is important.

Please email me off-list and I will try to summarize the best way(s)
in a response to the group.

Thanks!

Kirk
0
kbbabb (6)

If you're reading data, then you can use LabVIEW to format it and the
use the Report Generation functions to print it.
0
x9561 (148441)
4/23/2004 6:23:22 PM
Dennis Knutson <x@no.email> wrote in message news:<506500000005000000887C0100-1079395200000@exchange.ni.com>...
> If you're reading data, then you can use LabVIEW to format it and the
> use the Report Generation functions to print it.

The data is being sent out in PCL format, so I don't need report
generation functions (unless I'm missing something).  I <do> want to
save the print file and associate it with a particular run so that I
can print another copy out later if needed.  If you ignore the saving
part I'm just forwarding the data to a printer on our network.

I've got the TCP stuff working but I'm having trouble with getting the
serial port to function.  LabVIEW sees the port, and I've checked it
with a loopback test and seen my text come back OK.  I haven't noticed
any kind of a "open and wait" function to use with it, and I'm not
sure if I can just feed the data set on the fly to the TCP port.

Thanks for the help.
0
kbbabb (6)
4/24/2004 11:51:00 PM
Dennis Knutson <x@no.email> wrote in message news:<506500000005000000887C0100-1079395200000@exchange.ni.com>...
> If you're reading data, then you can use LabVIEW to format it and the
> use the Report Generation functions to print it.

One other question/problem - what do I do with the "#bytes to be read"
setting for the VISA read function since I'm not sure of the file size
AND it is likely to vary from job to job?

Thanks!

Kirk
0
kbbabb (6)
4/25/2004 12:35:43 AM
Instead of using a fixed count, use the VISA Bytes at Serial Port
function to determine how many bytes are available. You might have to
put this and the VISA Read in a while loop that terminates when the
byte count is zero or you've seen some sort of termination character
in the file.
0
x9561 (148441)
4/26/2004 1:11:33 PM
PLEASE REFER TO MY REVISED QUESTION "Help with serial port..." - IT IS MUCH CLEARER.

Thanks!

Kirk
0
kbbabb (6)