serial error -1073807202 LabView 7.1 can't communicate with USB-serial adapter?

Hello community,

I can't get LabView 7.1 to read data from the serial port. If I use the original examples, the examples given hier, VISA or not, I just get the error -1073807202 straight after the Configure vi.
Is it possible that LabView just can't communicate with Serial<->USB adapters?

The configuration should be correct: Everything is default, except for the baud rate. It is 38400 bps. Also, I *can* read characters via Win32 CreateFile() and friends. It also works with Hyperterminal. I use WinXP Pro if that matters. And yes, I use the correct COM port (COM4), I always verify that in the device manager.

Any help?

Best regards

Johannes

0
x9561 (148441)

The error means that you don't have VISA installed. It's on the device drivers CD.

0
x9561 (148441)
2/8/2007 7:10:10 PM
Hello Dennis,
thanks very much for your help.
Installing the VISA driver did the trick.

Johannes

0
x9561 (148441)

'Serial Port Init.vi' problems between versions 6.1 & 7.1 of Labview
Hi there,   I created a Card Test Program using Labview 6.1 in 2003, it now requires changes to be carried out.   My company is now using Labview 7.1, however, once I have created an executable from the vi's and attempt to run it on the target system I get an Error 37 with the 485 card, labview device not found. Yet if the changes are made within Labview 6.1 it runs fine (but as we are now using labview 7.1 it is preffered that I use that.   I presume this is an issue with the 'Serial Port Init.vi' that I am using, everything else works fine, except any of the vi's that are used to initialise, communicate with and close a 485 port. Is there any differences between the ?Serial Port Init.vi? that comes with Labview 6.1 and that which comes with Labview 7.1. Any help gratefully appreciated.   Regards   Simon Snoddy It is the old serial functions that I am using. The data is being sent directly from an FPGA, I therefore have to use the 'Type Cast' function to convert the string into binary so that I can manipulate it, but at the moment, using Labview 7.1 I can't even initialise the 485 ports. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers Simon Hello Simon, The issue that you are seeing is due to the fact that serial communications methods in LabVIEW were changed between LabVIEW 6.1 and LabVIEW 7.x. The serial compatibility vi's that you were using were modified to make use of VIS...

From Labview 7.1 help, can't load example vi's

Can't log in as an ordinary user after installing labview 7.1.1 on RHEL4
Hello &nbsp; I have installed LabVIEW 7.1 and the update 7.1.1 on a Dell 380 running RedHat Enterprice 4. I installed it as root and under root the applications I have tryed seems to work well. But when I try to log in as an ordinary user I can�t log in. &nbsp; Has anyone an idea of what can be the problem? Thanks in advance ...

Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a Win32 function to read the data from the card
Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory from a VI? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a&nbsp;Call Library&nbsp;function to read the data from the card and now I want it to go directly to system memory. The data is being received at 1Mbps. &nbsp; Thanks 1.You will most likely crash your system trying to write meg's/sec of data to system memory. LabVIEW has it's own memory manager and manages data for you. If you getting data to LabVIEW, I hope for the processinfg purposes. You didn't menti...

GPIB instruments connected through Agilent USB/GPIB Interface can bee seen in MAX but can't communicate in labview
I have an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface connected to my computer.&nbsp; Attached to that, I have two lock-in amplifiers (an SR830, and an SR 850).&nbsp; I would like to be able to communicate with them through GPIB. I have downloaded and installed the software for the Agilent device (Agilent IO Control), and I can see the interface and the two devices in that software.&nbsp; Here's what is configured in this software, that I can see: - The VISA interface ID is GPIB0, and its address is 0 - The VISA addresses of the devices are GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR, and the GPIB addresses are 4 and 12 In Measerment and Automation Explorer (MAX), I made sure that the Passport for Tulip box was checked.&nbsp; Once it was, I could see the devices in the Configuration window under Devices and Interfaces -&gt; Miscellaneous VISA Resources.&nbsp; There, I see GPIB0::INTFC, GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR. I can right click on either of the instruments, and "Open VISA Test Panel" where I am successfully able to send commands and read from both devices. HOWEVER, when I am running an actual LabView program, I am unable to communicate with the devices.&nbsp; For example, when I try to communicate to the devices through VISA, using the 'Basic Serial Write and Read.vi' (while VISA Resource Name is GPIB0::12::INSTR), I get an error: Error -1073807331 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr)...

Can I run a LabVIEW 7.1 Application on a system with LabVIEW 6.1?
The VI App did not run properly, even after I installed the LabVIEW 7.1 Run time engine. Perhpas I need to uninstall the LV 6.1 run time engine? Thank you for any suggestions; perhaps it's something minor that I'm overlooking! Are you talking about a 7.1 exe or VI? An executable will run with 6.1 installed and the 7.1 run-time. A 7.1 VI will only run with 7.1 development system. When you say it did not run properly, what exactly do you mean? I am referring to trying to run a 7.1 EXE application on a system with a resident 6.1 development environment, and the 7.1 run-time engine ins...

VI Ver(7.1) can't be converted to labview ver(8.20) cause it has no block dia
Dear Sir, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We have some vis were made in Labview 7.1 and i want convert them or open them in Labview 8.20, but while i am trying to open them in Labview 8.20 it gives error message "VI Ver(7.1) can't be converted to labview ver(8.20) cause it has no block dia". Detailed error has attached with mail and that vi do not open.&nbsp;&nbsp; So i kindly request you to go through matter and suggest the solution at earliest. Thanks &amp; Regards Rajendra GaikwadL &amp; T, Powai.Mo. 09323129933 emailid- <a href="mailto:gaikwadrs@lntebg.com" target="_blank">gaikwadrs@lntebg.com</a> error message.gif: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/237928/1/error message.gif Dear sir, &nbsp;Actually these vis were made earlier in Labview 7.1 by one of the our vendor. Now we want to use that vis for similar application in Labview 8.20. is there any other option please tell. Thanks &amp; Regards Rajendra Gaikwad Dear Daniel, &nbsp; &nbsp;It may not be possible to take vis from him in Labview 8.20, except that is there any other solution for that. &nbsp;&nbsp; I hv one more issue i.e. activation of Labview 8.20. We have purchased Labview 8.0 Devlopment suite from NI, after that now they have sent us updated version Labview 8.20. Can i install and activate the Labview 8.20 on another pc where Labview 8.0 is not installed? also NI has not provided serial no for Labview 8.20. please ...

Is LabVIEW 7.1 Aug2005 identical to LabView 7.1 May2005?
I am attempting to have a coworker at a remote site set up their PC with the exact same software as one that I have here.&nbsp; I used the August 2005 CDs from Developer Suite.&nbsp; My coworker tells me that he has the TestStand 3.1, and the Device Driver CDs from the Aug2005 Dev Suite shipment, but he can only find LabView 7.1 from the May2005 delivery. &nbsp; I would like to safely&nbsp;assume that LabView 7.1 is LabView 7.1, regardless of whether it was shipped in May or August, but it is really important to me to make absolutely sure that we end up with the same software v...

How can you simple install the LabVIEW Toolboxes with LabVIEW 7.1
Hello, yesterday was a nice day, I have receved the NI Developer Suite Professional Control Edition with the new LabVIEW 7.1, RT 7.1, DSC 7.1 etc. I still use Labview 7.0 (Developer Suite Professional Control Edition) Unfortunately I can't install the Toolboxes from the toolbox cd into the right directory! Always when I try to install a toolbox, it will be installed into the LabVIEW 7.0 directory. It is not possible to change the directory (exeption: SPC-Toolbox) Even if you change the name of your LabVIEW 7.0 Directory, the toolbox produce a new folder LabVIEW 7.0 and is getting instaled ...

Error 1334 (in LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.1.1 setup) when launching VB6's IDE
What's going on here?&nbsp; I have LabVIEW 7.0 and Visual Basic 6 installed on this Win-XP computer.&nbsp; When I open VB6, I always get what looks like a Windows Installer error: First, it asked me for the location of "lvruntimeeng.msi", which I located for it.&nbsp; The next progress-window says: &nbsp; ---------------------------------------------- NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.11 ---------------------------------------------- Please wait while Windows configures NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.11 ---------------------------------------------- &nbsp; Finally it fails with this error-message window: &nbsp; ---------------------------------------------- NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.11 ---------------------------------------------- Error 1334.&nbsp; The file 'NIMDFManifestFileId.53736431_DBEC_4582_B072_2F1F0A2C4EA6' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'lbruntimeeng_mft'.&nbsp; This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package. [OK] ---------------------------------------------- &nbsp; The two windows repeat twice each time I launch VB6's IDE, and that causes a long delay.&nbsp; What can I do to prevent this error? &nbsp;Message Edited by citizenDAK on 04-23-2008 01:34 PM citizenDAK, When did this problem start happening? Does it happen everytime you try to open VB6? Did anything change from the time this started ha...

Serial communication whith LABView 7.0
I'm writing a Vi that send bytes to a serial port. The instrument connected then will answer, but i can't predict how much bytes it will sent back, and it is also possible that it send more than one CR/LF in his response. Is it a way to wait until no more byte arrived at serial port and then read them all ? Thanks in advance. Jean-Luc Hi Jean-Luc First you have to set Enable Termination character to FALSE which will ignore incoming LFs. Second set up a read with a number to read which will be much more than ever expected, like 10000. Set a timeout with a time when you know that the...

DSC module 7.1 labview 7.1, new controls and functions not showing up in labview
Dear Reader, I have installed labview 7.10 (also tried update to 7.11) and DSC module 7.1 I thought I would get additional functions and controls in labview due to installation of this module, but I do not see addtional controls or functions, althought I have searched for them and set the controls to "advance" etc. Anyone any idea what I have to do. thanks and regards. ...

Connecting two HP50g by usb-usb or usb-serial or serial-serial
Hi I'am Manel, I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is Posible. I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) Thank you On 06/02/2010 18:13, MANELVC VC wrote: > Hi I'am Manel, > > I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is > Posible. > > I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) > > Thank you Serial to serial is possible and there is a special cable for this. Not sure how to order it from HP though. USB to USB is not possible - this is a limitation of the USB standard. -- Bruce Horrocks Surrey Eng...

Labview 7.1.1 Errors
I am using the version 7.1.1 of LV and LV RT, i am programming a cFP-2020. &nbsp; &nbsp; Labview&nbsp;keeps crashing and losing the connection with the remote target (cFP), i am attaching a file containing all the error logs generated by LV, i never got this problem with earlier versions of LV i think this may be some kind of bug plase let me know how can i fix it. &nbsp; By the way my PC is a PIV @3 GHZ , 1 GB of RAM running WinXP SP2 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

can't communicate with Sun over serial port
I have a Sun Ultra 10 that might be dying, so I've tried communicating over the serial interface (serial-A). On power up the green LED doesn't light up, and the monitor is dead. On the plus side, the hard disk spins up OK, and I also get a beep if a disconnect/reconnect the sun keyboard. I've connected an RS232 cable from the Sun to a PC (with pins 2-3 swapped) and started hyperterm. Settings are 9600-8-n-1. However, when I switch on the sun all I get is garbage, as if the baud rate is incorrect, or the parity is wrong. I've tried various combinations of speed settings etc but...

How is it possible to read from/write to a usb-to-serial adapter in LabVIEW?
Hi all, I'm using LabVIEW 7.1 on SuSE Linux 9.3. My Notebook doesn't have a serial interface, so I have to use an usb-to-serial adapter. The Notebook detects the usb-to-serial adapter as follows: Sep 27 15:28:23 icg246 kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using address6 Sep 27 15:28:23 icg246 kernel: pl2303 3-2:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected Sep 27 15:28:23 icg246 kernel: usb 3-2: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 Sep 27 15:28:33 icg246 /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[7309]: add tty device /class/tty/ttyUSB0 With "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" from command line I see the incoming data. I tried to use "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi", but I don't know which "VISA resource name" I have to use. I found a description, that ASRL0 is /dev/ttya ASRL1 is /dev/ttyb and so on, but this does not work. How is it possible to use /dev/ttyUSB0? Does anyone of you have an example (a working VI) how to use such an adapter on a Linux system with labview? Or is there a general problem of using an usb-to-serial adapter on a linux system? Or does anyone know which usb-to-serial adapter works with labview on a linux system? Thanks in andvance! snork From your subject line I figured that it would be an easy answer, yes you can use a usb to serial adapter under LabVIEW, but when I saw that you are using Linux it became a little less certain. I haven't used LabVIEW under Linux&nbsp;(yet!) so I can't speak with quite as much assurance. No...

can't communicate with MCU thru serial port
Hi, now i am doing a project in which i use pc to transfer some data to MCU(PIC18F452)through rs232. I use labview 6.0 to do it.but i met some problems. ...

serial port recognition issue in labview 7 (error -1073807343)
I am getting error -1073807343 (Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.) with a program written in labview 7 (installed on a different computer). I installed drivers for a "legacy" DAQ card (from the disk that came with it), the labview runtime environment, and the serial port driver from the NI website.I opened the Measurement &amp; Automation explorer and made sure the serial port drivers were installed, and that the alias of serial port 1 was "COM1".I noticed that a lot of the drivers go back to 7.1.&nbsp; Do I have to install an earlier version of the serial drivers? What serial port driver are you talking about? Unless you are using an NI serial card, the only driver you need to install is NI-VISA. It should not matter if you are using a newer version of NI-VISA. &nbsp; For this other program, do you know what serial port it is trying to access? Do you have the option to select a port with the VISA Resource Name control? Is this other program an exe? &nbsp; To see which port the program is actually trying to access, go to MAX and turn on NI-Spy. It will log the calls to the port. Attach the result of the NI-Spy capture if you want. I tried NI spy and it was trying to access the correct serial port (COM1). I'm troubleshooting this remotely (with GOTOMEETING), and the other guy is currently out to lunch so I can't give the exact response. Usually, the DAQ device driver CD ins...

Help needed: Can anybody convert a hit7104g.llb from LabView 7 into a dll for LabView 6.1??
Gents, I am an absolutley beginner in LabView, but working very hard on it to get a progress.I"ve got great help here at this pages how to find out the first steps installing 2 DSO Scopes Hitachi VC-7104, which are connected via PCI-GPIB.Equipment, settings&nbsp; and communication inside the automation explorer is working perfect.I found a free LabView version inside a PC Magazine, its the LabView 6.1 and I want to let them communicate with my DSO's.There is a driver available but for only for the LabView 7 version.Can anybody convert this file and explain to me how to install it later at LabView 6.1 ??I would be very happy, because my old method was writing data's into the PCMCIA-SRAM card at the DSOand pull out it for reading outit later in a PC, crazy method.Best regards from Germany!Thomas hit7104g.llb: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/343224/1/hit7104g.llb I am converting them. Will post soon R Ok, great!!!Many THX !!Meanwhile I read more in the LV6.1 manual.Thomas A bit messy since I was trying to do it quickly, but all the files should be in LV6.1 in their respective folder. Let me know how it goes. R &nbsp; Converted to LV6.1.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/343390/1/Converted to LV6.1.zip Joe, Moved all folders from your file into the folder C:\Programme\National Instruments\LabVIEW 6.1\instr.lib,same path were the HP34401 instrument is.Then tried a function, like the GO NOGO function and now the communicaton is perfec...

If i have a labview .vi file(and labview) but i want to open it in a computer that doesn't have labview, how would i do it??
Okay, i have a made a labview program and save it as.vi. &nbsp; Let's say that it is a program that when opened and you hit run it shows a sine wave. &nbsp; Now if i wanted to open up the program without Labview, ( i don't need to modify it) on a computer that doesn't have labview. How would i go about doing this?? &nbsp; Thanks, K ...

can't open my file after saving.using labview 8.2.1
Hi there, after saving my program, i can't access/ or open my program again, but my subVI can be open, this puzzled me. Can anyone help me with this. i have attach the program,. it also prompt me (this resource you are attempting to open was created in a more recent version of labview and is incompatible with this version). And my Uni is using labview version 8.2.1, no other version.thanks alot &nbsp; Regards:MKK cyclodrive combination programme.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/294813/1/cyclodrive combination programme.vi I can't open it either... You should always keep back-up.... ...

what can i do if don't need the Additional package header in serial communications interface(SCI)?
I use embedded coder to generate "C" code, When I use the serial communications interface block, It need to input Additional package header, but I want to use modbus, it has no additional package header. anyone can tell me how can I do? If I input no parameter,there always come an error "Invalid expression found in mask parameter ' additional package header:' of '***'. the expression is an empty string ". thanks very much! ...

can't figure out problem6.5 on page 284 of labview 7 express student edition
using lv7.11 with winxp, can't figure out how to bundle time and date with temp measurement into an array that i can then review to verify 4 samples per second. Convert time to DBL, in that case both the temperature and the timestamp are floats, so they can be put into the same array. An array can only contain item of the same data type. Thank you. ...

LV7.1 Strange behavior with Automatic Error Handling occuring when it shouldn't [LV 7.1 Pro on WinXP for Tablet PC's]
[LV 7.1 Pro on WinXP for Tablet PC's] I recently let a rather large LV app of mine run in the development environment while I was out for a couple of days. Upon returning I found that the app had hung for ~22 hours waiting for an answer to an Automatic Error Handling (AEH) dialog proclaiming an Error 7 in New File without any indication of the VI hierarchy that called New File.&nbsp; I set about ensuring that AEH dialogs would not pop up and have not been able to discover how&nbsp;I could have&nbsp;possibly received one in the first place. Subsequent investigation revealed: Nei...

How can I access a control's description and data range information from within LabVIEW 6.1 or 7.0?
I didn't see an obvious way of accomplishing this. Is this possible? Properties Data Range and Description. Data Range is a cluster with minimum, maximum, and increment. Description is a string. The properties exist in both 6.1 and 7.0. Right click on the Control and navigate to Create>Property Node. Now on the newly created node, right click on it where it says Visible and navigate to Properties>Description. This will output a string of the controls description. Now grow the node by right clicking and selecting Add Element. On on the property, right click and navigate to Properti...

Web resources about - serial error -1073807202 LabView 7.1 can't communicate with USB-serial adapter? - comp.lang.labview

"Brothers for Bernie"? "Sisters for Sanders"?
Why has Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders failed to seal the deal with most African-American voters? The rejection of Sanders ...

Paris attacks suspect charged in Belgium, fights extradition
Reuters Paris attacks suspect charged in Belgium, fights extradition Reuters BRUSSELS Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in November's ...

Heavy winds as Dubai plane crashes in Russia, killing 62
MOSCOW (AP) — A Dubai airliner with 62 people on board nosedived and exploded in a giant fireball early Saturday while trying to land in strong ...

Will Hulk Hogan Go Out Like Food Lion?
Amidst the many jaws dropping on Twitter Friday night in reaction to a Florida jury quickly awarding $115 million in damages to Hulk Hogan against ...

Countdown to doomsday: Apple, FBI face off in court Tuesday
In their struggle over cracking into an iPhone used by a terrorist, both sides present scary scenarios for what will happen should the other ...

Insomniac Games CEO on the challenges of making games for VR
As the Founder and CEO of Insomniac Games, Ted Price is responsible for esteemed console games like Ratchet and Clank, Sunset Overdrive and Fuse. ...

Microsoft apologizes for GDC party with scantily clad dancers
(By Anya George Tharakan, Reuters) – Microsoft apologized for hiring dancers dressed as skimpily-clad schoolgirls for its Game Developer Conference ...

EU Migrant Proposal: Thousands Of Migrants To Be Sent Back To Turkey, Will Turkey Agree?
EU leaders met in Brussels in order to come up with a solution to handle the migrant crisis caused by the civil war in Syria. The proposal that ...

Twitter Sticking To 140 Character Limit – Why Did CEO Jack Dorsey Yield To Users’ Demands?
Twitter will stick to 140 character limit. Jack Dorsey, the micro-blogging platform’s co-founder and chief executive assuaged its user base by ...

Brisbane Election 2016: Results - The Courier-Mail Search Search
LORD Mayor Graham Quirk has kept Brisbane’s top job and The Greens are set to win a seat as election night comes to a close.