Thread to read from external program

Hello Fellows, :smileywink:
Here it is, I'm trying to interact with other programs using Labview 8.0.
I have read lots of messages on Active X and threads to understand a bit on that functionnalities and can't figure out if I could or not do my program.

So image explains better than words, please look at the attached file to see my issue.

Other question is about the the Open System Command Pipe.vi, read From Pipe.vi, Close Pipe.vi etc. Are these vi's able to create a vrtual COM port as a pipe ?
And is this Vis available in LabVIEW 8.0 Full Dev ?

Thanks for your reply....see you

ExplainPipe.jpg:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/251744/1/ExplainPipe.jpg
0
x9561 (148440)

Thanks for the information have a nice day

0
x9561 (148440)

Who have read the book The C++ Programming Lang. ?
Is The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)a good book for learning C++ programming or it is just a good book for reference? Thanks! jamestan15@hotmail.com (Jim) writes: > Is The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)a good book for > learning C++ programming or it is just a good book for reference? > Thanks! It depends on your experience. If you have programming experience, it is the best book to learn C++ programming (IMHO). It's also an excellent reference. If you don't have any programming knowledge, my personal recommendationm is to learn another language befor...

Labview program to read e-mail?
Hello I'm trying to write a program to read email from a Pop3 server. There is a very old one in the archives, maybe someone has a newer one? Yours Sincerely John ...

Invoking external processes in threaded program
Hi folks, I'm trying to write a high level library to invoke and communicate with an external process. On UNIX, this implies a fork-and-exec with some pipes (or pseudo-terminals as I learned in another thread [1]). Now, ideally I would like to be able to start multiple processes in different threads, but the general advice with respect to fork()ing in a multithreaded program seems to be that one shouldn't do anything in the child other than exec*() immediately. I can see why after thinking about it, but I didn't see this particular trap coming... :) So now I can't see a way ...

Re: Read SAS dataset into external program
Download SAS's OleDB provider and install it. Here is the C# code for reading in a SAS dataset: internal DataTable LoadSasDataSet(string sasLibrary, string sasDataSet) { try { sasDs = new DataSet(); OleDbConnection sas = new OleDbConnection("Provider=sas.LocalProvider; Data Source=" + sasLibrary); sas.Open(); OleDbCommand sasCommand = sas.CreateCommand(); sasCommand.CommandType = CommandType.TableDirect; sasCommand.CommandText = sasDataSet; OleDbDataAdapter da=new OleDbDataAdapter(sasCommand) ; da.Fill(sasDs,"SasData"); sas.Close() ; return sasDs.Tables["SasData"] ; } catch (Exception ex) { msg.WriteMessageToLog("Unable to load the SAS dataset. Please verify that the SAS dataset is in the proper directory and try again.",ex) ; return null ; } } The SAS dataset makeup is proprietary. OleDB is the way to approach it. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of rdbisch@GMAIL.COM Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:20 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Read SAS dataset into external program Hi all, ...

Call a external program from a program
Hi, I've a problem here, I'm a HP calculators newbie and I'm hacking a bunch of User RPL programs here... 1. How do I call a external program (in this case, written by me in User RPL) to execute? 2. Is it possible to run programs, and access variables stored in a SD card without copying them to { HOME }? On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:27:16 -0500, NEDM64 wrote: > How do I call a external program (in this case, > written by me in User RPL) to execute? If it is stored in a variable (VAR menu), its name (within a program) will "call" it, e.g. \<< DATE TIME 4 RND \>> 'PROG1' STO \<< PROG1 2 \->LIST "Now" \->TAG \>> 'PROG2' STO > Is it possible to run programs, and access variables > stored in a SD card without copying them to { HOME }? :3:VAR1 RCL :3:PROG1 EVAL Note: You can not store (STO) into an existing item in a "port"; to replace an item in a port, you must first delete the original. [r->] [OFF] On Jun 1, 12:39=A0am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote: > On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:27:16 -0500, NEDM64 wrote: > > How do I call a external program (in this case, > > written by me in User RPL) to execute? > > If it is stored in a variable (VAR menu), > its name (within a program) will "call" it, e.g. > > \<< DATE TIME 4 RND \>> 'PROG1' STO > > \<< PROG1 2 \->LIST "Now&q...

Who have read the book "The C++ Programming Lang.?
Is The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)a good book for learning C++ programming or it is just a good book for reference? Thanks! Jim wrote: > Is The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)a good book for > learning C++ programming or it is just a good book for reference? Bjarne meant for them (there are three editions now) to be used as textbooks but there are (in my opinion) better tutorial textbooks -- Lippman's C++ Primer comes to mind. Certainly, you should get a copy of "The C++ Programming Language: Third Edition" and keep it handy as a reference but don&#...

plc PROGRAMMING +LabView programing
Hi , &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can anyone please tell me if we can get PLC functions from LabView itself ,if,yes,how should we proceed for that ? &nbsp; Thanks &amp; Regards ! sarita bhan Hi , Thanks for your prompt reply. well,I am new in the field of PLCs and don't have much knowledge about them,but, I know this much that PLC can help me in getting data out of a device and display that data on it's monitor .I have already build up an application in LabView wherin I am capturing data from that device on computer using VISA ,and XP OS .Now,I want to ave that application loaded on any PLC which will have XP OS and based upon that data,I should be able to provide control to some drives via PLC. I hope ,I have made my requirement clear . Please guide me how should I proceed. Regards sarita ...

read message written to standard output from external program
I'd like to know how to perform actions based on an external program's output to standard output while the external program is still running from the system() call. More specifically -- I'm using some c++ code which uses an external ODE solver (CVODE) that writes information to standard output when it's having problems. I'm trying to minimize it with the genetic algorithm application and occasionally, it picks parameters that are garbage and makes the solution go to infinity. When this happens, the external solver writes some information to standard output that it's...

Re: Read SAS dataset into external program #2
rdbisch@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Is there a way to read a SAS dataset directly from an external program >(say, in C)? > >Currently I am writing the file out to disk, reading it in, performing >the calculations, writing the results back out to disk and then reading >them in with SAS again. > >This all seems terribly inefficient. For the life of me I cannot find >(on the web) a better way. I see that Alan has already told you how to schlep the data back and forth. So let me ask a question back. Why do you want to do this? Are you stuck with a C or Fortran program which h...

Labview program to find the external hardwares connected with the PC
Hai All, &nbsp; Do any one know how to find the external hardware details&nbsp;connected with our PC (like USB memory stick),&nbsp;&nbsp;using labview program. That's completely dependant upon the interface the external hardware uses to connect to the PC, but you can get details of just about anything...Why not just use Windows device manager? That's assuming the user is running Windows. :smileywink:If you are under Windows you can access this information from the Registry. For example, for USB you can look at the keyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB.Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-30-2008 10:39 AM continued <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=320567" target="_blank">here</a> ...

How can I pause a program in LabView with an external digital line?
Hello, this is my first time in a forum and the problem I have is that I have developed a Vision Builder application and have migrated the application to labview.&nbsp; I am using some slides to move a PCB around so a camera can take the correct picture of the PCB and analyze it.&nbsp; I need to use external sensors so if an operator happens to place his/her hand near the slide the program has to Pause, and wait for a resume button to continue with the program.&nbsp; I don't know how to set an interrupt so that it constantly monitors a digital input line from the sensors with a USB-6009.&nbsp; I'm not sure what kind of architecture the vision builder created for you.&nbsp; I would recommend you setup a state machine.&nbsp; You can have the digital line of the USB monitored inside each iteration of the while loop.&nbsp; When that line goes high, you change states to an Idle state until the user hits the continue button.&nbsp; You interface with the USB-6009 using the daqmx driver.&nbsp; Just monitoring a single line on the board is a very simple function.&nbsp; Look at some of the shipping examples to see how to do this. For information on state machines see:&nbsp; <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3024" target="_blank">http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3024</a> or:&nbsp; <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7595" target="_blank">...

How to open external program (non LV) in LabView 7.1?
Is there a way to open an external program which is not labview related within labview 7.1? &nbsp; For example: Can i open software which watchs a ccd camera from labview? &nbsp; (I'm trying to find ways around having to program more than i need to.....) &nbsp; &nbsp; Oh, and btw thanks to everyone who helped me with my dynamic menu problems.... i have all my menus working now and generating dynamically throughout the program! YAY! &nbsp; thanks, &nbsp; jonathan Use System Exec.vi Function palette =&gt; communication =&gt; System Exec.vi &nbsp; ...

Is there any direct way to control external running program window with Labview 8.5
Hi all, &nbsp; I have a application which I have to control through my LabVIEW program. LabVIEW program should be able to simulate &amp; automate all the cotrols and data of externally running window. I suppose one of the method is to use Windows API using Call Library node in LabVIEW (which looks combursome). Can any expert&nbsp;suggest more efficient method/idea? &nbsp; Thanks in advance. &nbsp; Nakul ...

Is it my computer or the labview program that is slowed down by this program
When I run this Vi with a large excel file the playback is extremely slow. I don't see why it would be the program, but the file are not that large so it shouldn't be the computer. I have attached the code and a small (book1) and a large ( book8) excel files. &nbsp; Thanks Book8.xls: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/222371/1/Book8.xls testread.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/222371/2/testread.vi Book1.xls: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/222371/3/Book1.xls Neither. It's your code. Specifically:- You're reading the file each time through the loop. Why? Is the data changing? Are you changing filename on the fly? If you are, you should use an event structure. - You don't have a delay inside the loop, so the loop churns away at maximum speed, leaving almost no time to respond to events. Place a wait function inside the loop with a small (say, 50 msec) delay. Better yet, use an event structure. If you do the following two steps you will see the speed increase tremendeously:- Place the file reading outside the loop. - Add a wait function inside the loop. I cannot run your VI because we need the subVI called filename.VI Here are a couple of suggestions. 1. Get rid of all the property nodes and use wires with a shift register and put a small wait in the loop. 2. Dataflow- right now you have race conditions because of all of the property nodes- you have no idea as to which one will operate first if you want to continue to u...

Thread reading from a pipe blocks other threads, why?
Hi! I'm implementing an application where the main Ruby program spawns off a number of external programs using pipes. Each pipe is handled by its own thread. Well, so far so good... Unfortunately, I'm having problems since when one thread calls "pipe.each_line" the other (!) threads hang. Well, if I add a "Process.waitpid" call before the call to pipe.each_line then the external command will sooner or later hang since noone consumes anything in the pipe. To exemplify, below are two ruby programs. The first, lotsoflines.rb, will print so much output that the pipe w...

"Labview program to read volatge input using PCI-6013 card"
I have recently bought NI PCI-6013 Basic Multifunction I/0 Board, BNC-2120 Accessory for 68 Pin and 100 Pin E Series Devices and SH68-68-EP, Shielded Cable.I have connected the photo-diode output to the BNC-2120 channel 2 which is connected to the PCI-6013 card. I think the connections and card installation is perfect as mesurement and automation explorer in labview identifies the pCI-6013 and the test panel run without any error. My aim is to write a Labview program to read the average voltage of the analog input in the pci-card. Can someone send me a example or the procedure to do it ? In t...

Hi. Kindly please I want the code of reading two files in parallel using the main program code plus one thread.
Hi. Kindly, please, I want the code of reading two files in parallel using the main program code to read one file plus one thread to read the other file. As a concept I know what threads are and I use them in Java. However, I have read the example on the wiki and it is still not clear where is the parallelism there. So reading a line from one file F1 and and another line from another file F2 on the same e.g. hard drive and then print them on the terminal screen would really show the concepts "time sharing" and "parallelism". I want to add it in the book I am writing. thanks. Rani Ahmad <ranixlb@gmail.com> wrote: > As a concept I know what threads are and I use them in Java. > However, I have read the example on the wiki and it is still > not clear where is the parallelism there. Java threads are quite different from Tcl threads. Tcl threads are probably more similar to "two separate processes casually using inter-process synchronisation features to exchange information". > So reading a line from one file F1 and and another line from > another file F2 on the same e.g. hard drive and then print > them on the terminal screen would really show the concepts > "time sharing" and "parallelism". > I want to add it in the book I am writing. thanks. I'd expect that to show real "parallelism" PS: I haven't actually used tcl threads, yet, and don't feel...

Passing string from python programs to external programs
Hi all, On Linux, I do something like this $ program_to_execute < input_file .... get some output ... I have the content of the input_file as a string inside a python program and would like to pass this string to the external program from inside the python program and get back the programs output in a string/file. Can someone tell me how to achieve this. I have been through the documentation for Popen, but this one beats me. Cheers, Chaitanya On May 26, 2:12=A0pm, lone_eagle <icym...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > On Linux, I do something like this > > $ program_t...

how to implement per-thread timer in a multi-thread program?
I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- safe. How to do that? My environment is Linux and Pthread. Thanks. In article <8f9c23f5-dee6-4786-a94e-fc8c38a1487b@h17g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, liu yang <liudows2@gmail.com> wrote: >I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- >safe. How to do that? > >My environment is Linux and Pthread. > >Thanks. Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah. -- Useful clc-related links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language On 28 Jul, 07:56, liu yang <liudo...@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- > safe. How to do that? > > My environment is Linux and Pthread. comp.lang.c is for the discussion of standard C (as defined by the ISO standard). Consequently it does not discuss timers or threads. You ned to look in a thread or platform (OS) specific group for more information. -- Nick Keighley liu yang <liudows2@gmail.com> writes: > I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- > safe. How to do that? > > My environment is Linux and Pthread. Try a Linux newsgroup or comp.programming.threads. -- Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst> Nokia "We must do something. This...

how to implement per-thread timer in a multi-thread program?
I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- safe. How to do that? My environment is Linux and Pthread. Thanks. On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:05:37 -0800 (PST), steve.peng.dr@gmail.com wrote: >I want to build a timer for each thread, and the timer must be thread- >safe. How to do that? > >My environment is Linux and Pthread. What do you want your timers to do? Why is your current approach not thread safe? ...

How to implement thread specific timer in a multi-threaded program
Hi, Can someone provide some pointers on how to implement thread specific timer in a multi-threaded program. This is on Linux using pthreads. Any pointers would be appreciated. On Sep 27, 6:09=A0am, Deepak <dpkshe...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > =A0 =A0Can someone provide some pointers on how to implement thread > specific timer in a multi-threaded program. > This is on Linux using pthreads. Any pointers would be appreciated. My advice to you would be not to do that. Associate the timer with what the thread is doing, not with the thread. DS David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com> writes: > On Sep 27, 6:09=A0am, Deepak <dpkshe...@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi, >> =A0 =A0Can someone provide some pointers on how to implement thread >> specific timer in a multi-threaded program. >> This is on Linux using pthreads. Any pointers would be appreciated. > > My advice to you would be not to do that. Associate the timer with > what the thread is doing, not with the thread. Yes, instead of having thread-specific timers, have any number of generic timers. cf. the POSIX.1-2001 functions setitimer(2) and getitimer(2), or the POSIX.1-2008 functions timer_settime(2) and timer_gettime(2. --=20 __Pascal Bourguignon__ On Sep 28, 3:03 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote: > David Schwartz <dav...@webmaster.com> writes: > > On Sep 27, 6:09 am, Deepak <dpkshe...

von neumann programing lang; functional-level programing
Ok, today's Wikipedia learned me few things. One is the term =E2=80=9Cvon neumann programnig lang=E2=80=9D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_programming_languages effectively, that's those of C, C++, Java, sh, perl and the bunch of garbage to no ends. In short, =E2=80=9Cvon neumann programnig lang=E2=80=9D are those modeled o= n computer hardware. Namely, storage, control flow. (thus the bunch of garbage such as memory address, pointers, file handle, (and, lisp's cons)) I find the discovery of this term very illuminating. I used to use pages of words to describe the low-...

Calling an external application/program from a compiled Matlab program
I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly call an external program in compiled Matlab program. I have tried to use (which works if the program is not compiled): dos('file.exe'); but that gives an error. If I use: !file; it does not work properly for what I need to do (although in this situation it can actually find the program and run certain programs, just not the program of interest) b/c I think a new command window has to be open for the particular program of interest to work. I have verified that using "dos('file.exe');" in the command window works and tried other means to verify that running the program works outside of matlab and inside Matlab. It seems that the problem is particular to Matlab being unable to use "dos" correctly in the compiled version. For reference, I am using Matlab 7.0.1 with Compiler 4.1. Thanks. "Ackbar" <ackbar15@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eeec639.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly call an external > program in compiled Matlab program. I have tried to use (which works > if the program is not compiled): > dos('file.exe'); > but that gives an error. What error are you seeing? Figured out my problem. The error was just that it wouldn't even find the file when using "dos" and using other commands (such as winopen) it wouldn't run the program. The error resides in the fact that I was trying to call a pr...

External programs / Stand alone programs in pop11/poplog
Wayn wrote: > 3. how to i run external programs such as ( cdplayer > or notepad, text editor etc... from within a poplog > program and how can a poplog program be compiled and > run as a stand alone application Those are two different questions: > 3. how to i run external programs such as ( cdplayer > or notepad, text editor etc... from within a poplog > program The easiest way is to use sysobey. If you are using windows poplog I have no idea whether that would work or not. On unix/linux poplog systems sysobey('who'); runs the '...

Web resources about - Thread to read from external program - comp.lang.labview

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

WPP Hires External Counsel to Conduct Independent Investigation
WPP and its agency JWT have hired external counsel to conduct an independent investigation following a lawsuit filed by the agency's chief communications ...

More on AMD’s XConnect Tech: Thunderbolt 3 for External Radeons
... AMD issued a driver update that brought support for a new technology, XConnect. In a nutshell, XConnect is AMD’s trade name for running external ...

AMD wants to standardize the external GPU
But thanks to Thunderbolt 3, hasn't this been done already? AMD hints that it's working on a new external graphics card solution that promises ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Meet the sleek external battery your iPhone deserves
... packs, other companies in the market haven't broken stride. There is little question that Apple stands to steal a healthy chunk of external ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

Chinese Foreign Currency External Debt
One constraint on devaluation as a means of stimulating the economy comes from the balance sheet. When there is a big stock of external debt ...

Razer's 'Core' external GPU ships in April for $500
Razer announced pricing and availability for its new Core external graphics box at GDC on Wednesday. The device is available for pre-order starting ...