VI crashs when calling CIN that calls a Matlab dll by lsb that do casting

The problem:
A VI that includes a CIN calls a different DLL that was compiled by Matlab 6.5, using an LSB file that performs type casting for Matlab mxArray type variables.

The VI crashs when entering the CIN.
It seems the code crashs whenever we attempt to access pointers returned by the Matlab DLL.

The same VI with the same LSB and Matlab DLL runs correctly in LabVIEW 7.1.1.
The Matlab DLL was compiled via the Matlab MCC command.
We also compiled the LSB using LabVIEW 8.5 - Multithreaded DLL + 1 byte alignment, via VC 6.0 - this didn't solve the problem.
There are no int64 variables. We tried to remove the complex 128 and float64 variables and change them to float without success.
We also compiled the LSB using LabVIEW 8.5 - Singlethreaded* + 1 byte alignment or Debug Singlethreaded + 1 byte alignment - again with no success.

I have notice that the lvsbutil.exe from the cintools directory was change in 8.5 comparing his size to 7.1.1 and now it is no longer possible to run it from the command line.
Any help on how to use it in labview 8.5?

If needed i can post the C source code

Thanks
 Lior
0
x9561 (148442)

Hello JamesR,
Thank you for your replay,
I tried to to follow you suggestion using the lvsbutil.exe from Labview 8.2.1 (I don't have 8.2) but with no result.
The vi is still crashing.
I notice that the lvsbutil.exe in Labview 8.2.1  is much smaller than 8.5 or 7.1.1 (196kb)
Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks
Lior

0
x9561 (148442)
10/7/2007 8:40:05 AM
lior wrote:

Hello JamesR,
Thank you for your replay,
I tried to to follow you suggestion using the lvsbutil.exe from Labview 8.2.1 (I don't have 8.2) but with no result.
The vi is still crashing.
I notice that the lvsbutil.exe in Labview 8.2.1  is much smaller than 8.5 or 7.1.1 (196kb)
Do you have any more suggestions?

Changing this CIN stuff to go over DLLs instead sure would help getting debugging more simplified. As it is with CINs your possibilities for source level debugging are quite limited and in the case of 8.2(.x) according to my own underfindings impossible because the CIN Node will simply shutdown LabVIEW on any exception, even if that is a debug breakpoint. In LabVIEW 8.0 and 8.5 I do not have this problem, notably on the same machine, so it can be hardly an environmental influence of my Visual Studio debugger not being registered properly.

Also a crashing CIN is probably hardly caused by a bad lvsbutil. As I understand it the bad lvsbutil in LabVIEW 8.5 will prevent you from creating CINs, not create CINs that always crash.

A crash in external code really should be sought in that code somewhere. Or also in the configuration of the interface in the case of a Call Library Node. Except in the early days of LabVIEW 2.5 and 3.0 or so I have NEVER had the case that external code crashed on me because of anything else than my own stupidity in interfacing with some external code either in my own C code, bugs in the external code itself or in the configuration of the Call Library Node, but NEVER because of LabVIEW doing something wrong.

Naturally NI can not really help you much with the external code itself it is not from them and I have no experience with Matlab code but wouldn't  be surprised if you need to do specific stuff before calling such code. Unless Matlab has its own ideas of memory management, I would as a first step make sure that any pointer you pass to the matlab code is valid and properly allocated before getting passed to the Matlab code. In C it is standard that the caller (here your CIN or DLL wrapper) allocates memory for buffers the callee is supposed to write information in. This is quite different than what you do in LabVIEW and is the main reason why many external code attempts always crash when LabVIEW programmers start to dive into external code without a very good understanding of C programming.

And before you ask, no LabVIEW can NOT do anything about that as it can NOT know what an external code component would need in terms of allocated memory nor the means for that allocation.

Rolf Kalbermatter
0
x9561 (148442)
10/7/2007 9:10:07 AM
Hi lior,
rolfk is right that the bad lvsbutil in LabVIEW 8.5 prevents you from creating CINs; it's not the cause of your CIN that is crashing.  I would suggest following rolfk's advice, namely to fix any errors which may exist in your external code.
0
x9561 (148442)

Calling a LabView DLL from a Labview VI
Hi, I have a vi that is calling a Labview DLL and they both have a same subVI. If I drop that SubVI into the block diagram first then drop in the Call Library Function Node, when I run the VI, the DLL would not work and it did not give me any error. Does anyone know how fix this problem with Labview? or is there some configuration that I can force the all of that SubVI points into the DLL. Thanks for your help, Dan ...

matlab calling DLL vs. .exe calling matlab engine
Hello, I'm writing an 3D image recognition which sends commands via RS232 to a Robot which moves to the point in 3D. The problem is the serial interface: sending string commands via serial/fprintf is very slow (I really don't know what matlab makes before sending them) in comparison to e.g. Windows hyperterminal. My question is if it is better to execute a dll out of Matlab-code doing the serial things or viceversus writing a program in c++ which uses the matlab-engine ? What could be the fastest way? What are advantages/disadvantages ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanc...

labview crashing when calling labview-built dll
Hello I need some help with regard to calling a LabVIEW-built DLL in LabVIEW.I have created a vi in LabVIEW. I made the DLL for this vi. I called this VI as a re-entrant in another vi.This vi(calling DLL) has been working fine till yesterday. Since yesterday, it started crashing LV.I need some help in this regard.I am attaching the screenshots of the Application Builder configuration window, the B.D of the vi using DLL and that of the configuration window which pops up when i call the DLL.I made a vi which performs FRA. I built its DLL.I have around 10 inputs. I output 3 one-dimensional arrays, and a string from the DLL.When i build the DLL, the builder defines the outputs 'gain', 'phase' and 'frequency' as arrays of 8-byte double.When i call this DLL in my vi, the configuration window sets them as 'numeric' outputs.Why does this happen? What is the solution to this?When i try to set them as 'array' in this configuration window, i get a warning that i am trying to change the data types which do not match with the data type found in the DLL. Is this the problem with my code or with the Application Builder?Now, after i change the 3 output datatypes to Arrays, and set their minimum length(i assumed that this value means the size of the array ), the vi runs and crashes LV. I am nto sure when it crashes, why it crashes. It runs fine at one time. It crashes at another time. I am nto sure if these arrays are teh reason why L...

Matlab crashes when dll in called
Hi, I have a dll (my_c_dll), which has been tested in many situations: called f= rom C++, from VBA (Excel), with no problem. When I call it from Matlab, I h= ave problems. I tested running with the same arguments many times, and in a= random iteration (each time in a different iteration) it crashes. It close= s without sending any error message. I'm using try-catch in Matlab and insi= de my_c_dll code, but it doesn't help. I put some writes in both codes, and= I know it crashes after the call from Matlab, and before the first line of= my_c_dll. Again: I'm running with ...

LabVIEW crashes when function called from DLL
Hello, &nbsp; I'm a relative new user of LabVIEW and looking for some help. I've posted this issue in another board and was unsuccessful. I was told to try it here. &nbsp; LabVIEW crashes everytime I run it. The code (error.vi) contains a subvi (error2.vi) which calls a function and crashes. The information about the dll file can be found at the following site <a href="http://www.amptek.com/mcadll.zip" target="_blank"> http://www.amptek.com/mcadll.zip</a>&nbsp; . Hope you can help error.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/238711/1/error.vi error2.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/238711/2/error2.vi ...

Should I call C from LabVIEW or call LabVIEW from C?
I need to write some software and am trying to choose the best development environment. I currently use Borland C++ Builder to develop most of my software and have also used some LabVIEW occasionally. The new package I need to write has to provide several functions, some of which would be better in C++, some in LabVIEW and I am wondering whether to combine the two. So far, I have had a quick play around and called a very basic piece LabVIEW code, built into a dll, from some C++ code. I am about to try to reverse (create dll in C++ and call from LabVIEW) but would appreciate some advice on the advantages/disadvantages of each method. &nbsp; Restrictions I have: 1. I will (probably) be using some hardware which will be supplied with C++ driver functions only. My interface with this card is the 'heart' of my system and is time-critical. Also, I need to assign a pointer to pass to this card (could I do this in LabVIEW?) 2. I wish to analyse data from the card using FFT and related functions so would ideally use the LabVIEW Sound &amp; Vibration and Order Analysis toolkits. I need to use these in real-time where the data sampling rate is fairly high (frequency analysis to be done on 4 channels at once with each channel sampled at approx 100kHz). &nbsp; To add to this, I would like to be able to create/modify the display screen at run-time - something which I am fine with in C++ but understand is very difficult in LabVIEW (I have only used LabVIEW for relatively...

How to write a C wrapper dll to export Matlab dll functions so that LabVIEW Call Library Function Node can use it?
Hello LabView developers, &nbsp; I used LabVIEW to call Matlab m script to implement matlab MPC successfully. I wanted to use Matlab compiler to compile the matlab m script function into a c&nbsp;shared library&nbsp;.dll so that LabVIEW can call it without requiring Matlab installed on the PC. &nbsp; I used MatLab R2007b with matlab compiler. I was able to generate a C shared library dll set successfully using mcc command. &nbsp; However, from the header file, I see that the inputs and outputs of&nbsp;the function prototype&nbsp;are&nbsp;in mxArray. I need to change this data type to whatever that&nbsp;LabView Call&nbsp;Library Function Node can recognize. &nbsp; I have followed a few examples in the forum, but none of them went through. &nbsp; I use LabView 8.5. I have Microsoft Visual C++ Version 6 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. The compiler is in C++. Should I use a C compiler only to generate the C wrapper dll so that Labview can recognize it in the Call Library Function Node? &nbsp; If anybody has gone through this successfully, I would like to learn from you on how to do it. &nbsp; Thanks, &nbsp; Kimberly yw wrote: Hello LabView developers, &nbsp; I used LabVIEW to call Matlab m script to implement matlab MPC successfully. I wanted to use Matlab compiler to compile the matlab m script function into a c&nbsp;shared library&nbsp;.dll so that LabVIEW can call it without requiring Matlab installed ...

calling matlab code in labview 5 using call library function
hai i have a problem........... i want to call matlab code through call library function or cal interface node and execute it in my labview 5.but as i configer the dll. file in my CLF, it shows error saying function not found in library. i want brief explanation of how to create dll.in matlab and how to call it in labview5 CLF.can anybody help me? divya shetty. :?: ...

Re : C++ Call to DLL made in LabVIEW Fails the second time it is called
Five years later, I have exactly the same problem&nbsp;with LabVIEW v.6.1 : It is impossible to call a function from a DLL which was loaded in&nbsp;a previous (ended) thread. Do you know if something had been solutionned in&nbsp;newer&nbsp;releases ? &nbsp; Thanks in advance. Yes, this issue has been fixed in LabVIEW 8.0. Now, instead of using the first thread we spawn our own thread to handle the UI message pumping. I also wrote up an article on this with regards to getting the LabVIEW DLL to work in ASP.NET (where you have little control over threading). The same technique could be done by other applications. I'm not certain whether this works with LabVIEW 6.x as it is well before my time on the team...but it's something to try. <a href="http://detritus.blogs.com/lycangeek/2005/05/labview_and_asp.html" target="_blank">http://detritus.blogs.com/lycangeek/2005/05/labview_and_asp.html</a> ...

Help in using matlab in calling ni-daq function using direct DLL calls
I am new with matlab and i need your help in calling out an ni-daq function using matlab which is AI_Change_Parameter (deviceNum, 2, ND_DSA_EXCITATION, ND_ON); IEPE excitation generates a significant DC offset in the signal, and you will almost always want to enable AC coupling to remove this offset. Input coupling is also controlled using the AI_Change_Parameter function. To enable AC coupling on channel 2, you would make the following function call: which will enable me to control the Integrated Electronic Piezoelectric (IEPE) current excitation for my ni-4472 daq card. Can u please gu...

Calling cygjpeg6b.dll crashes LabVIEW everytime, no matter...
Calling cygjpeg6b.dll crashes LabVIEW everytime, no matter the chosen settings in Configure. Anyone know why? I am trying to access the DLL cygjpeg6b.dll for fast internal compression and decompression of images int jpegs (without saving to files). I intend to use these compressed images to reduce network use in a code written to pass images from webcams between two linked computers. I do not wish to use the IMAQ functions, hence my interest in this DLL. However, no matter what I set in the Configuration for this DLL call, LabVIEW crashes immediately on clicking OK. Anyone know why? I presume...

FPGA: Call to Labview Host VI DLL too slow
I've designed a FPGA VI, with its coresponding&nbsp; Host VI that is working well.&nbsp; I needed to interact with the VI from a C language application.&nbsp; So, I used LabView's Application Builder to build a shared library (DLL).&nbsp; From my C code I use the LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress to make calls to my Host VI within the DLL.&nbsp; Functionally, everything works, i.e. I can control the VIs via my C application. However, for the application in which this is being used, the Host VI method within the DLL that the C code calls takes too long to process.&nbsp; Through debuging, I found that the Host VI method takes about 0.85 seconds to return.&nbsp; I actually went in and created a Host VI method that does nothing, just to prove that it wasn't the Host VI doing some work that was hogging the time.This just seems like way too long to return from a call to a routine that does nothing.&nbsp; Is this a windows problem, or something under the hood that's happening in my Labview created DLL?&nbsp; Like I said, functionally it works, and interfacing to it is simple.If you need more details, just ask.Thanks for your help.- Rick Hi Rick, Does the 0.85 seconds refer to your actual Host VI that interfaces with the FPGA VI or the empty Host VI?&nbsp; &nbsp;Are you passing any parameters?&nbsp; I figured it out.&nbsp; I compile my C code under MS Visual Studio and needed to use the DelayLoad link option on the La...

Problem for calling a Matlab generated C DLL with Labview
Hello everybody, I am not familiar with DLL and I need help for using a Matlab generated C-DLL with a Labview application. I have created a C-DLL from Matlab compiler version 4.8 and have deployed it on the host PC using MCRinstaller. So far so good. When I used the VI for calling the DLL, I have the choice between 6 functions: - Initialize - InitializeWithHandlers - PrintStackTrace - Terminate - mlf - mlx Do I have to use all of these functions? In a first attempt, I have created a sequential loop in Labview to run the function Initialize then the function mlf and finally the function T...

Calling Pulse Generator Matlab model dll in Labview through SIT
Hi , &nbsp;I have a Matlab model dll which generates PWM output. I Would like to integrate this "dll" through SIT connection Manager and generate the Physical signal. But while configuring the Tools-&gt;SIT Connection manager-&gt;Hardware I/O-&gt;Configure NI-DAQ i am getting only Analog input &amp; Analog outputs, but i need Timer/Counter channels. Could any one tell what i should do for generating the PWM output with the help of matlab&nbsp;model? &nbsp; Thanks naveen Hi Naveen, &nbsp; I will try to test this out. I should be able to post an update of my findings within a day.&nbsp; &nbsp; Have a great day! &nbsp; Steven &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hi steven, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Have u tried this? &nbsp; Thanks ...

methods to call matlab in C C++ and call C C++ in matlab
Hi, I am reading the help documents about how to program matlab and C C++ together and my questions are a little bit general. It seems that are several ways to call matlab in C C++ and another several ways to call C C++ in matlab. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something when I try to list them. To call matlab code in C C++, are there two methods available? The first one is Matlab engine and the second one is to use MATLAB Compiler mcc to create C or C++ shared libraries from your MATLAB code. To call C C++ in matlab, are there also two methods? The first one is to call funct...

How to call matlab functions directly from C++ /without calling matlab engine
How to call matlab functions directly from C++ without calling matlab engine. as it is described in this tutorial: http://www.codeproject.com/samples/matlab_cpp.asp I have tried to do something similar in Visual Studio 2005 [Matlab 7, r14] #include <mclcppclass.h> .... mwArray A, B, C; A = magic(mwArray(5)); B = transpose(A); .... but it doesn't compile. I got following errors: error C3861: 'magic': identifier not found error C3861: 'transpose': identifier not found etc... I was looking for header files with declarations of this functions in matlab directory...

Call C code from Matlab -> Matlab crash
Hello, I have a problem calling C code from Matlab. The mex file compilation is ok. When I run the program Matlab (7.3) crashes. Below is the mexFunction code. Any idea is welcome. (I think the main part of the code (middle part) is not useful for the crash problem, but I put it anyway). //########################################################### #include "math.h" #include "mex.h" void mexFunction (int nlhs, mxArray *plhs[], int nrhs, const mxArray *prhs[]) { // Standard variables int p,r,h,i,j,f,w; // Indices for loop int MAX_NBM = 1000; int MAX_DIM = 10; int MAX_NB_CLUST = 20; double *SF, *km, *new_data; int size, dim, K, nbm, aux_size, count_bis, count_aux; double diam_max, diam, vec1_p, vec2_p, dist_min, dis; int combi[1000000][2]; int dist_aux[1000000][2]; /* Check for proper number of arguments. */ if (nrhs != 5) { mexErrMsgTxt("5 input required."); } else if (nlhs > 1) { mexErrMsgTxt("Too many output arguments"); } // Input parameter (MATLAB) new_data = mxGetPr(prhs[0]); size = (int)mxGetScalar(prhs[1]); dim = (int)mxGetScalar(prhs[2]); K = (int)mxGetScalar(prhs[3]); km = mxGetPr(prhs[4]); // Output parameter (MATLAB) plhs[0] = mxCreateDoubleMatrix(1,1,mxREAL); SF = mxGetPr(plhs[0]); // Other variables nbm = size/dim; // Number of points printf("Taille: %d\n",nbm); printf("Dimension: %d\n",dim); //#############################...

Problem with lsb: LABVIEW.LIB was not called from a LabVIEW process
I've decided to compile the Zero Phase Shift.vi filter into a dll. This vi relies on IIR.lsb and IIR.c files. There is no problems with running the vi itself. However,&nbsp;using&nbsp; a dll that was built&nbsp;from this vi&nbsp;&nbsp;generates a fatal Windows error message &nbsp; LABVIEW.LIB was not called from a LabVIEW process (for example, if one tries to call the dll from within a VB program) &nbsp; If I remove the lsb reference from the vi, then calling the dll has no problems. I have tried to reference the IIR.lsb explicitly from the Build Shared Lib wizard, that did not work. &nbsp; &nbsp; I used LabVIEW 7.1 &nbsp; &nbsp; Andrew ZeroShiftFilter_Dll_Problem.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/234008/1/ZeroShiftFilter_Dll_Problem.zip ...

Calling dll from Matlab
Hi all, I have a question regarding calling shared libraries for windows from .dll. I have an SDK of a device and I want to be able to program it with Matlab. However I am having some issues with loading these libraries to the Matlab environment. The sdk that I have is consist of 5 files. They are edk.dll edk_utils.dll, edk.h, emoStateDLL.h and edkErrorCode.h. Among these edk.dll is the main library. After adding the path to the dll directory in Matlab and making sure it's there, I am running these two simple lines of code addpath(pathToDllDirectory); loadlibrary('edk', 'edk.h') I have also tried to add header option with loadlibrary command such as loadlibrary('edk', 'edk.h', 'addheader', 'EmoStateDll.h', 'addheader', 'edkErrorCode.h') but I am getting the below error and I couldn't get rid of it. Note that as far as I read the Matlab help, the libraries should be C compatible otherwise the header files should be declared with "extern C" command. Although these sdk libraries are written in C++, I have double checked this and it's OK. That is header files are C compatible. I would appreciate any help or ideas Warning: Warnings messages were produced while parsing. Check the functions you intend to use for correctness. Warning text can be viewed using: [notfound,warnings]=loadlibrary(...) > In loadlibrary at 394 In emotivMatlabMain at 12 Warni...

Call C code from Matlab -> Matlab crash #2
Hello, I have a problem calling C code from Matlab. The mex file compilation is ok. When I run the program Matlab (7.3) crashes. Below is the mexFunction code. Any idea is welcome. (I think the main part of the code (middle part) is not useful for the crash problem, but I put it anyway). //########################################################### #include "math.h" #include "mex.h" void mexFunction (int nlhs, mxArray *plhs[], int nrhs, const mxArray *prhs[]) { // Standard variables int p,r,h,i,j,f,w; // Indices for loop int MAX_NBM = 1000; int MAX_DIM = 10; in...

Labview Dll call library function Causing Labview to unload
I am trying to use the Call Library function in Labview 7.1 to call an Init function for a Zathic Can4USB device. When I run the vi, it complete log LabView out of the computer. Can anyone tell me why the function totally unloads LV without displaying an error? &nbsp; Thanks Either the function has a serious bug or you are calling it with invalid parameters or wrongly setup parameters. The problem happening here is that your DLL passes somehow invlid parameters to a system device driver and that driver causes a protection fault. For device driver execeptions which happen in the privileged...

Error 1073 when building LabVIEW app which calls LabVIEW dll
I am trying to use application builder to build an application that calls a dll created in LabVIEW. I get an error referencing a vi within the dll (Parse Stored String(multibyte).vi) saying that "This property is writable or this method is available only when the VI is in edit mode." The only option is to Continue which cancels the build. I had sucessfully built this application prior to including vis that call the dll and the program runs fine in the development environment. Do you have any idea what is causing this and what I cam do about it? I have found a temporary workaround i...

dll Library Call Function Node, vi must be in same folder as DLL
1) I have a very simple Library Call Function that calls up&nbsp; CondorMeasure.dll and, in turn, calls up an io.dll for a piece of equipment we are testing. &nbsp; The two DLLs must be placed in the same directory to function properly.&nbsp; The CondorMeasure.dll has several functions, but the CondorMeasure_Init fuction must be executed first with the proper parallel port address.&nbsp; If does not detect the io.dll in same directory, it will return a -1. It returns a 0 if it is ok.&nbsp; The next required step is to turn on the PSU (the device), and then issue commands as needed. &nbsp; The DLLs work fine when called from a working C executable file, and a working Python file.&nbsp; It works fine in LV until the vi is saved, and LV is closed.&nbsp; When exectuted after LV is closed, itdoesn't work, returning a "-1" error.&nbsp; However, If I have the vi in the same folder as the DLLs, it works fine.&nbsp;Any idea how I can I can maintain the original working directory of the DLLs &nbsp;without having to have vi and DLLs in the same folder? &nbsp; Enclosed, is a simplified version of the vi that only contains the initialization function and turn-on function.&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2) Another annoyance is that once saved, the browse path cannot be changed to another version of the vi.&nbsp; Once saved, it always reverts back to the first location the call node was pointed too.&nbsp; It see...

Calling a C-calling convention function in a DLL
Hi all, Is there a problem with calling a function out of a library ? I have the following description: "All functions use the C calling convention, not Pascal convention" #define XLIB_API __declspec(dllexport) typedef struct { long general; /* General return code */ long system; /* System error */ long pcsc; /* PC/SC error */ BYTE cardSW[2]; /* Card status word*/ BYTE rfu[6]; } X_Status; XLIB_API X_Status X_Exit(); ==> My question : How to declare this function in VO ???? Whe...

Web resources about - VI crashs when calling CIN that calls a Matlab dll by lsb that do casting - comp.lang.labview

London Calling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
London Calling is the third studio album by the English punk rock band The Clash . It was released in the United Kingdom on 14 December 1979 ...

List of country calling codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of country calling codes defined by ITU-T recommendations E.123 and E.164 , also called IDD ( International Direct Dialling ) ...

Free VoIP Calling Added To Facebook Messenger For IOS In The U.K.
Voice-over-Internet-protocol calling has made its way across the pond for Facebook Messenger users, as the social network updated its iOS version ...

Facebook Video Calling - Facebook
Bring your conversations to life on Facebook. With face-to-face video calling, now you can watch your friends smile, wink and LOL. To get started, ...

Orange telecom announces partnership with Facebook to launch social calling app
French telecommunications company Orange today announced a partnership with Facebook to offer a social calling application that will allow users ...

Berlin Calling (@neuraum) on Twitter

Calling all foodies: Here comes @TwitterFood
There are many thousands of food-related Tweets people send on Twitter each day – Tweets about meals, ingredients, favorites, recipes and dining ...

YUBISASHI NIPPON CALLING ENGLISH for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get YUBISASHI NIPPON CALLING ENGLISH on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mariah Carey's brother lashes out at singer, calling her an 'evil witch'
In a bizarre outburst, Mariah Carey's older brother has called her an 'evil witch'.