Why does LabView only find new plugged USB-GPIB Devices after restarting?

Hello, I'm new here, I've found the thread about reloading the Visa device list but in my case I found no solution in it.  So I post this question:My goal is to find unplugged and plugged GPIB devices during runtime of my apllication. I checked using "Find VISA Resources" but it does not work. Only after closing the program and restarting, new plugged devices will be found.This is not a problem off a special deviec it occurs with all devices I use. Is there a solution, that I can find all GPIB and COM devices which are atteched at my computer??Thanks for answers.David
0
x9561 (148440)

Hi David, I tried this with the attached VI and it works.

Findresource.vi:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/345813/1/Findresource.vi
0
x9561 (148440)

Can LabVIEW identify specifically which USB port a USBRAW device is plugged into?
I am writing a LabVIEW program to do functional testing on a PCBA that has several USB hubs and connectors on it.  I want to test each of these USB connectors for functionality.  I've created an NI-VISA USB raw driver for a simple USB memory key.  I can plug this device into any USB port on the board and by using the "VISA Find Resource" routine, I can tell when the device is plugged in or not.  I need to identify which specific USB port the device is plugged into.  I've tried using the property node for a USB raw class object.  One of the properties available is the USB Interface Number, but this number never changes, no matter where I plug in the USB device.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can do this?  Thanks, Ron Hi Ron, Try reading this thread.http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=320660#M320660 ...

can LabView talk to USB devices by PC USB?
We have USB hardware that connects to the PC via the USB port which I would control by LV. Does a pll is exiting for this type of application? I am far from being quaified to answer this, but I can tell you this much. Due to the low level nature of USB, LabVIEW has no way of talking to a generic USB device. If the devices is one of the standard classes (Human Interface Device for example), then there are Win32 functions you can call - although I have no clue where these are located. If not, you almost always need drivers for the device which provide custom DLLs. If you do not have this th...

Looking to use Labview 7.0 to write a TSR program that will detect when I plug in a custom device into the USB port
I want to write a Labview TSR program that will detect when I plug a custom device into the USB port.&nbsp;&nbsp;I will be using a USB/SCI conversion cable so that device will be detected by Windows as a SCI device, but using the USB port.&nbsp; Anyone have example code for this or know how to write&nbsp;a Labview program that performs this function. &nbsp; Thanks Greetings! &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; There is no direct VIs / functions within LabVIEW that will enable you to detect a USB device to my knowledge. There are ways you can talk to external code like dlls that could be built as drivers for the third party usb devices. Than you can use systemexec.vi to make system calls. The approach that is recommended is listed in the links below. That is using VISA and talking to third party usb interfaces. Please refer - <a href="http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/webPreview/3A8AD529F3022589862571CD00498665?OpenDocument" target="_blank">http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/webPreview/3A8AD529F3022589862571CD00498665?OpenDocument</a> There are lots of example programs for VISA communication that is shipped with LabVIEW that you can make avail off. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks and Regards Avi Harjani &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Avi, Us normal users don't have access to the application engineer's web pages.:smileywin...

count the number of seeds using labview
hello, I am new to labview and need to create a VI to count the number of seeds being dropped. I understand you can do this using labview. please can someone direct me to a tutorial or an example to do this? I use a camera - how do you connect up the camera to work with labview? thanks ...

How do I create Labview VISA ports for *individual* GPIB instruments using Prologix USB GPIB controller?
Hello, I'm trying to use a Prologix USB GPIB controller to control GPIB instruments, and I would like to have a virtual serial (VISA) port for *each instrument*, as is the case with a normal GPIB controller with a standard NI driver. However this is not what the Prologix driver provides -- it provides a single VISA virtual serial port for the entire controller. To address the instrument with GPIB address 11, you first send "++addr 11" to the serial port, and then you're talking to instrument 11. However, this means I have to change all old Labview programs. Is it possible to create a "wrapper" function of some kind that will define a virtual serial (VISA) port for each *instrument* on the controller? For example, to talk to GPIB instrument 11, call it ASRL3::11::INSTR, each time it is written to it would have to write to the virtual serial port of the controller, say ASRL3::INSTR, first "+ +addr 11" and then the command that is sent to it. A clearer explanation of the difference (i.e. incompatibility), and of my objective: 1) A normal GPIB controller with NI driver: I go to the NI Measurement & Instrumentation Panel, under GPIB, and Scan for Instruments; all the live instruments show up; subsequently when I want to use Labview programs that use VISA ports, the VISA drop boxes allow me to choose a different port for each instrument, e.g. "GPIB0::11::INSTR", "GPIB0::12::INSTR" would be instruments at addresse...

GPIB instruments connected through Agilent USB/GPIB Interface can bee seen in MAX but can't communicate in labview
I have an Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface connected to my computer.&nbsp; Attached to that, I have two lock-in amplifiers (an SR830, and an SR 850).&nbsp; I would like to be able to communicate with them through GPIB. I have downloaded and installed the software for the Agilent device (Agilent IO Control), and I can see the interface and the two devices in that software.&nbsp; Here's what is configured in this software, that I can see: - The VISA interface ID is GPIB0, and its address is 0 - The VISA addresses of the devices are GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR, and the GPIB addresses are 4 and 12 In Measerment and Automation Explorer (MAX), I made sure that the Passport for Tulip box was checked.&nbsp; Once it was, I could see the devices in the Configuration window under Devices and Interfaces -&gt; Miscellaneous VISA Resources.&nbsp; There, I see GPIB0::INTFC, GPIB0::4::INSTR and GPIB::12::INSTR. I can right click on either of the instruments, and "Open VISA Test Panel" where I am successfully able to send commands and read from both devices. HOWEVER, when I am running an actual LabView program, I am unable to communicate with the devices.&nbsp; For example, when I try to communicate to the devices through VISA, using the 'Basic Serial Write and Read.vi' (while VISA Resource Name is GPIB0::12::INSTR), I get an error: Error -1073807331 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr)...

change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW
change a LabVIEW array outside LabVIEW and keep updated in LabVIEW hi, I am Interfacing a FrameGrabber with LabVIEW using a frame grabber SDK(dll). The memory managment of this FG allow you to allocate your own Array and to give a pointer to this Array to the memory manager. Then when you acquire with the frame grabber, the acquired image will be directly accessible in your array. 1.I give to the FG memory manager a pointer to the Labview array through a SDK Dll function. 2. I run the acquisition 3. I display the array My problem is that the Array is allways displayed with it initial val...

USB Human Interface Device (HID) in LabVIEW
How do you write/read to/from an HID USB device in LabVIEW? Note that this is not a mouse or keyboard but does use the standard Windows XP HID driver. That depends. If this device is part of the USB TMC standard, you can do the steps in the following KB. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/044FA220F32774ED86256DB3005850CA If not, use VISA to create a USB Raw device driver for it. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E3A2C4FE42D7ED0D86256DB7005C65C9 Best of Luck! -Matt S. Matt, Neither of the bellow worked. I believe this answer's why: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf...

GPIB-USB B trouble after Labview crash
Hi, &nbsp; I have some trouble with the GPIB-USB NI interface. It works perfectly until my Labview program crashes (which is not the first time and certainly not the last). I need to kill by Windows the labview task. &nbsp; Then&nbsp;I could not manage to detect again &nbsp;the GPIB-USB (none of the two leds on the interace works), of course MAX doesn't see the interface, even after reboot. &nbsp; Any idea how to manage to un-crash the system ? &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; S. Normand Hello, Have you tried to reinstall or repair the drivers? If you try to plug your device on another USB port, the behavior is the same? Regards. Thanks for your help, Yes I re-install (x4) driver and NI Labview, MAX, .... If I change the USB port, the behavior is the same It seems to be be very sensitive to accidental unplug of the GPIB-USB interface from the computer. It seems also be sensitive to LAbview crash. In fact after LAbview crash, it doesn't manage to reset the vi so I have to kill the windows task, then the driver doesn't seem to work correctly and I have to re-install every thing (NI488, MAx...) which is very ennoying. Have you any idea on the VI reset conducts by Labview ? Regards, Stephane Hello Stephane, I got no Idea on the origin of that strange behavior. Is there a message returning when LabVIEW crashes or something like that? Regards. ...

Labview 6.0 x LabView 7.0 list of enhancements or new features
Hi, Have u a 1 page document with the main enhancements or new features, that we can base our decision to upgrade (or not) to version 7.0 ? LV 7 FAQS: http://www.ni.com/support/labview/lv7faq.htm ...

DSC module 7.1 labview 7.1, new controls and functions not showing up in labview
Dear Reader, I have installed labview 7.10 (also tried update to 7.11) and DSC module 7.1 I thought I would get additional functions and controls in labview due to installation of this module, but I do not see addtional controls or functions, althought I have searched for them and set the controls to "advance" etc. Anyone any idea what I have to do. thanks and regards. ...

Unable to install labview in the new mac using the 'labview CD for Power Mac'
I have got a 'Labview full development system for power macintosh'. I have to use labview for some application and so I tried installing labview in my imac using this CD. The CD gets ejected out by itself. I tried it in a Mac laptop. There it opened, but when I try to install it, it gave the following message: 'You can't open the application 'Install Labview' because the classic environment is no longer supported'. Please note that the macs that I used are Intel based. What is the cause of this problem? What is the solution?The version of the software is : 6.0Please do the needful.Thankyou,Pavithra Souriraj The version you are trying to install was apparently written for Mac OS 9 or earlier, hence the reference to the Classic environment. The Classic environment is an emulation of OS 9 under OS X. However, Apple did not start using Intel processors until several years after the introduction of OS X, so they (Apple) did not develop an OS 9 emulator which will run on Intel based Macs. You cannot run LV 6 on an Intel based Mac. This is an Apple issue, not a National Instruments issue. LV 6 runs fine under OS X on a PowerPC Mac, as do several other versions.You will either need to get an older Mac or a newer version of LV. I am not sure which is the earliest version which will run on an Intel Mac.LynnUsing LV on the Mac since version 1.2 Hello Pavithra, Thank you for contacting National Instruments.&nbsp; Please look at this article for your ...

Why is my GPIB interface dead after installing LabView 6.1 when upgrading from LabView 6.0.2
We installed LV6.1 on our Win2000 machine. GPIB interface no longer works. We had been using LV6.0.2. Did you try to use MAX to check your GPIB interface? Click "F5" to Refresh the system if you can't see the GPIB interface. If you can see the it, try to run NI 488.2 Troubleshooting Wizard under Help->Troubleshooting to test the interface. Bill Yes, I used MAX. The GPIB card shows up there. So does the GPIB instrument. I tried to test the interface with the communicate with device button. The query just timed out. We un-installed the GPIB card and then re-installed i...

Using GPIB-USB HS with Labview 3.1
Hi, I have a old computer with Labview 3.1 and Windown 3.1, and the GPIB card in the old computer is broken. I am using Labview to make some measurements via GPIB. So I switched to a new computer and I am still using the old vi with the conversion kit from NI (which I can run Labview 3.1 in Windows XP) I also bought the GPIB-USB HS, and installed it. &nbsp; The problem now is that there is a GPIB function in Labview 3.1 which I need to tell it the address of the GPIB. After switching to the GPIB-USB HS, I dont know what is the address. It doesnt show in any port # in the device manager. I also tried from 0~127, and none of them works. &nbsp; &nbsp; Do I need to modify anything in the vi of Labview 3.1? And how do I find out the address of the GPIB-USB HS? &nbsp; Thanks I have the conversion package from NI. I haven't tried to convert it yet, because I think there will be lots of problems after conversion. &nbsp; I attached the library anyway. &nbsp; Thanks for you help. CVSTUFF.LLB: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/240349/1/CVSTUFF.LLB Hey Bui, &nbsp; Regarding the issue about finding the address, you should be able to click on the GPIB0 in MAX, and it should display the image. I've attached both a screenshot of MAX, and the labVIEW&lt;-&gt;GPIB.vi&nbsp; that you can find in labVIEW. It's a simple program that does communication with a GPIB device. If you go to labVIEW and open the menu, Help-&gt;Find Examples...

Re: LabVIEW and LabVIEW RT?
Hello Iman, I will try to illustrate it with an example since it all will depend on the type of application you would like to implement. Let's say you would like to implement an application where you log data, maybe exchange data with databases and you acquire a bunch of data points at a time not performing any type of control and where high determinism is&nbsp;not needed. In this case LabVIEW for Windows work great. If you on the other hand would like to implement a closed-loop application where you need high determinism and reliability and will acquire data point by point you would use LabVIEW RT which is an add-on to LabVIEW. I.e. you need LabVIEW + LabVIEW RT when developing an RT application. ...

If i have a labview .vi file(and labview) but i want to open it in a computer that doesn't have labview, how would i do it??
Okay, i have a made a labview program and save it as.vi. &nbsp; Let's say that it is a program that when opened and you hit run it shows a sine wave. &nbsp; Now if i wanted to open up the program without Labview, ( i don't need to modify it) on a computer that doesn't have labview. How would i go about doing this?? &nbsp; Thanks, K ...

How can I best control a non NI USB device using LabVIEW?
One of our radio products has a USB port for local (test) control.&nbsp; When I connect the radio to a USB port on my computer the NI Measurement and Automation Explorer does not recognize the device.&nbsp; Nor does it recognize the device when I attempt to "add new device". &nbsp; Within LabVIEW I am unable to assign an appropriate VISA resource name that does not cause an error when attempting to use the "VISA USB Control Out" or "VISA USB Control In" functions.&nbsp; The help page for wiring up these functions is unclear, particularly for the "request" and "request type" variables. &nbsp; Would it be best to pursue this current method or purchase some type of serial (com port) to USB converter hardware to communicate with my USB radio? &nbsp; Regards Roger Hi Robert, did you install the driver of this device first?Mike Mike: &nbsp; Yes I did install the driver first and I am able to communicate with it via a custom in-house utility. &nbsp; Roger By 'our radiot products', I'm assuming that is a product of the company you work for and you should be able to get information on it. If the USB port does not appear as a com port in MAX or windows device manager, then it is not emulating a serial port. Of course, you may have failed to install the windows driver for it. If there exists a windows driver, then that would be your best option for communicating with it. If this is a produc...

I am new to LabVIEW and we have just started using LabVIEW 8 base. There is no express vi for an Arbitrary Waveform Generator. I need some help, because i have only been to the basic training.
I am new to LabVIEW and we have just started using LabVIEW 8 base. There is no express vi for an Arbitrary Waveform Generator. I need some help, because i have only been to the basic training. &nbsp; Thank You; Dave H. I just need some help to produce code for making a VI for an " Arbitrary Waveform Generator ". Just like the express VI that is in the Profesional version of LabVIEW 8. I will be using this VI to drive some analog outputs. &nbsp; Thank You; Dave H. ...

How to invoke VI application upon attaching a USB device without LabVIEW running?
Hi I have a VI to communicate with an instrument with USB interface. Now i have to run the VI application after attaching a device. Is it possible to have an arrangement, such that,&nbsp;the&nbsp;VI application will automatically opens upon attachment of device ?? &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; Ishant Ishant, I hope you are doing well today! What you are asking for is to enable the Autorun feature for that USB instrument. You can then call a LabVIEW executable using the .inf file. You will need to tinker around with the driver file for that instrument or the file storage system within that instrument; and it might not be trivial to do so. From <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx" target="_blank">USB Storage - FAQ for Driver and Hardware Developers:</a> ? The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed disk drives. If you need to make a USB storage device perform Autorun, the device must not be marked as a removable media device and the device must contain an Autorun.inf file and a startup application.? You may find this link useful, <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/autorun/autoplay_works.asp?frame=true" target="_blank">Creating an AutoRun-enabled Application</a> ...

LabVIEW
Hi ALL, I am a new user of LabVIEW. I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. However, all these signals must be filtered. But I am not sure, what type of filter most powerful. Besides, as I know, different type of signal needs differenct type of filter. Anybody can help me to solve my problems. Your kind cooperation is highly appreciated. Regards, M. Firdaus, France Fird wrote: > Hi ALL, > I am a new user of LabVIEW. > I have been assigned to acquire a signal from a sensor at a car. > However, all these signals must be filtered. ...

Sending J1939 messages from LabVIEW 8.0 to a CAN device using NI USB-8473s
I need to send J1939 messages over a CAN bus using LabVIEW 8.0.&nbsp; I have been trying to use the example for Event Based Transmission in LabVIEW Example Finder but I cannot figure out what or how to set the arbitration ID or the data bytes.&nbsp; Can anyone please help?&nbsp; I am using the NI USB-8473s CAN interface. For example, a message that I receive from the CAN device using the Frame API CAN Receive VI is:2CFD93EAWith the Data:D0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FFSo I just want to reverse this action and be able to send the message from LabVIEW.Thanks,Eimear Hi Eimear,Please can you try running the example CAN Transmit Multiple, it is located here:C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\examples\nican\Frame - Basic.llb\CAN Transmit multiple.viThis will allow you to set specific arbitration IDs for every frame you transmit, as well as stating the data length.I have also found some links for you. If you need to transmit data that is over 8 bytes in length, then you will need to look at this <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=30&amp;message.id=2435&amp;requireLogin=False" target="_blank">post</a>. There is also <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/18DC960767E6D1D986256CA8007965C3?OpenDocument" target="_blank">this KB</a> post that might give you a pointer. RegardsJamesCNIUK and IrelandIt only takes a second to rate an answer :)Message Edited by JamesC o...

Any LabView Example code of using NI USB-8451 to write/read data from i2c device?
Looking for a quick Top level example Labview Code to be able to read/write to i2c SEEPROM devices using an NI USB-8451 as a controller. I've never used that device, as we opted for the much cheaper U2C-12 made by Diolan. I would have thought that examples would have shipped with it. You can start by looking at this KB article: <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4692" target="_blank">http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4692</a> Hello abon27, There are some great examples in the Example Finder (LabVIEW Help Menu�Find Examples).&nbsp; Select Hardware Input and Output, then I2C and SPI (see the picture below).&nbsp;If you need futher help getting started programming, the <a href="http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371746b.pdf" target="_blank">NI 845x Software Users Manual</a> has some very good information.&nbsp; In particular for your needs, take a look at Chapter 5 in that manual, it details the LabVIEW API implementation of I2C.&nbsp; Let me know if you have any other questions, Meghan RApplications EngineerNational Instruments Example Finder - 8451.gif: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/344574/1/Example Finder - 8451.gif ...

i m studen t of MS i develop a new CDMA reciver , how i can implement this on ni devices using labview
i want to know the hardware which i should use and how i can use labview . i use matlab for developing code The following link should be helpful. I let you have a look. <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=86906&amp;requireLogin=False" target="_blank"> How to make Matlab and Labview work together?</a> Regards. ...

Labview PDA Palm devices supported and I/O on those devices
Hello, &nbsp; Is there a list of PALM PDA devices (Zire, Zire 71, Z22 etc.)&nbsp;supported by Labview PDA and what hardware on&nbsp;each supported&nbsp;PDA is supported (IRDA, USB, serial, etc.)? &nbsp; Trying to understand how say a Z22 could use labview to do data aquisition or control instruments or other devices when there is only a USB and IRDA port available on the device? Can Labview PDA control anything via the PDA's USB port? &nbsp; I did not see this information on the data sheet or in the manuals available online. &nbsp; Thanks, &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

Web resources about - Why does LabView only find new plugged USB-GPIB Devices after restarting? - comp.lang.labview

American realities for Iraqi refugees restarting life in New York
Escape from Baghdad promised so much for Omar and his young family, but their new life as refugees in the South Bronx is hardly the American ...

North Korea may be restarting nuclear plant: U.S. institute
North Korea may be attempting to restart its main nuclear bomb fuel reactor after a five-month shutdown, a U.S. research institute said Thursday. ...

Official: GreenTech Auto restarting production later this year
Filed under: EV/Plug-in , Manufacturing/Plants , NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) Will the rubber really hit the road for GreenTech Automotive ...

Good Shepherd Church: Rebuilding, restarting after fire
The Good Shepherd Church in all its former glory, before it was devastated by an electrical fire last fall. The church will hold a fundraiser ...

Why Does Your iPhone 6 Keep Restarting?
That’s a good question that no one, not even Apple , can really answer. What’s clear though, is that it happens quite often to many iOS users. ...

a restarting friday open thread
by liberal japonicus I recently restarted doing Tai Chi. I only started doing it because a colleague was teaching it, and a schedule conflict ...

Restarting Opera
Speaking of feature creep, there's a browser that included so many features that I'd probably need an entire day to list them. An email client, ...

Koreas Holding Third Round of Talks Aimed at Restarting Gaeseong
... crossed the demilitarized zone for the third time in just over a week as they seek agreement with their North Korean counterparts on restarting ...

As Sunnis die in Iraq, a cycle is restarting
As Sunni militants rampaged across northern Iraq last week, executing Iraqi soldiers and government workers and threatening to demolish Shiism’s ...

Lionsgate is reportedly restarting talks to acquire Starz
It looks like talks of Lionsgate picking up Starz are back on the table. Bloomberg reports that Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., which owns the ...