Write to text file. Append to existing file. Create file if file doesn't exist.

Hi folks,

up to LabVIEW 7 there was a wonderful "Write to Text File" vi which allowed the option "Append to File". Now, in LabVIEW 8, this old vi is not longer supported anymore. Instead, I am suggested to use a new "Write to Text File" vi. This vi does not offer the option "Append to File" anymore. Rather it is proposed in the online help that one should use the "Set File Position" in order to append text to the file. This much less straightforward than the old solution. Furthermore, I miss an option which would create the complete path if it doesn't exist yet.

To summarize: Isn't there really any smart "Write to Text File" vi available which offers both the options "Append" and "Create path if file does not yet exist". Of course, I could write such a file on my own but I am sure that it is of such general interest that it already exist. In any situation, when a log file shall be written, the wanted vi would be ideal.

Thanks a lot,
Peter
0
x9561 (148441)

Peter,
Sometimes the original VI is placed in a sub folder call Old.
Regards
Ray Farmer
0
x9561 (148441)
6/21/2006 9:40:08 AM
Ray,

I know that the old vi is still available. See the screenshot which I attach to this message. What I am missing is an option "Create file or even complete path if file or path do not yet exist.". Is there any reason why NI doesn't provide neither this option nor a simple "Append to file" functionality in the new "Write to Text File" vi?

Regards,
Peter

Clipboard01.png:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191386/1/Clipboard01.png
0
x9561 (148441)
6/22/2006 9:40:10 AM
Ray,

I know that the old vi is still available. See the screenshot which I attach to this message. What I am missing is an option "Create file or even complete path if file or path do not yet exist.". Is there any reason why NI doesn't provide neither this option nor a simple "Append to file" functionality in the new "Write to Text File" vi?

Regards,
Peter

Clipboard01.png:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/191387/1/Clipboard01.png
0
x9561 (148441)

How to open a file for binary access without creating an empty file if the file doesn't exist
I'd like to open a file for binary access Open "C:\Test\myfile.bin" For Binary Lock Read Write As #1 Unfortunately if the file does not exist an empty file is created (Visual Basic Documentation: If the file specified by pathname doesn't exist, it is created when a file is opened for Append, Binary, Output, or Random modes). Today before opening the file for binary access I check if the file exists. But I experienced situations where the file during the file check existed and just before the opening of the file it has been removed by another programm. Is there really no possibility to open a file for binary access only if the file exists and else to get an error message which I can handle with On Error? Hmm. That's an interesting question. Lookup the OpenFile API in MSDN. I think it does exactly what you want. Also, perhaps after (inadvertantly) creating the file using VB's Open statement you can test for LOF(). If it's zero you probably created the file, no? Additional I doubt that anything could happen to the file between Psuedocode: If MyFileExists Then OpenMyFile The operation most likely takes places in the same clock cycle. Though, I guess, VB's Dir$ (for some reason) is pretty slow and might not. Try FindFirstFile API instead... it's super-fast. "Stefan Mueller" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message news:cahk91$sd$1@news.eusc.inter.net... > I'd like to open a file for binary access > Open &qu...

open file in c / create if file doesn't exist
Hi everyone! I have a problem with trying to open a file in C. The following line in my code is suppoed to open a specified file if it exists and create a new one with this name if one doesn't exist: if ((shfd = open(argv[2], O_CREAT | O_RDWR, 0644)) < 0) my_error("open failed"); If I try to open a file that doesn't exist I get an error: Bus error And when it creates a file it sets permissions to -rw------ instead of -rw-r--r-- as I would hope... Is there something I'm not getting about how O_CREATE works?... However, if I try to open existing file that is no...

Append a file to an existing file
Hi there I am wondering if there is a simple command in Tcl that I can append a file to an existing file, or combine two files into one file ? Thanks for the help. Regards S-Y. Chen S-Y. Chen wrote: > Hi there > > I am wondering if there is a simple command in Tcl that I can append a > file to an existing file, or combine two files into one file ? > > > Thanks for the help. > > Regards > S-Y. Chen > Here's one way... - [open] fileA in append mode - [open] fileB in read only mode - [read] the contents of fileB and write it to fileA using [puts] - [close] both files So, the man pages on [open], [read], [puts], and [close] should give you all you need. Jeff On Aug 4, 12:45=A0am, Jeff Godfrey <jeff_godf...@pobox.com> wrote: > S-Y. Chen wrote: > > Hi there > > > I am wondering if there is a simple command in Tcl that I can append a > > file to an existing file, or combine two files into one file ? > > > Thanks for the help. > > > Regards > > S-Y. Chen > > Here's one way... > > - [open] fileA in append mode > - [open] fileB in read only mode > - [read] the contents of fileB and write it to fileA using [puts] > - [close] both files > > So, the man pages on [open], [read], [puts], and [close] should give you > all you need. > > Jeff I know I can do it through open, read and close.....just want to see if there is a command like copy a+b...

'cat file' but only if 'file' exist
I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by shopt -s nullglob for i in *.x; do cat $i; done but this is aweful typing. -- William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> No, I will not fix your computer! I'll reformat your harddisk, though. On 2004-06-09, William Park wrote: > I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the > cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by > shopt -s nullglob > for i in *.x; do cat $i; done > but this is aweful typing. set -- *.x [ -f "$1" ] && cat -- *.x -- Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell =================================================================== My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson and may be copied under the terms of the GNU General Public License 2004-06-9, 06:26(+00), William Park: > I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the > cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by > shopt -s nullglob > for i in *.x; do cat $i; done > but this is aweful typing. zsh -c 'cat ./*.x' With bash: shopt -s nullglob files=(./*.x) if (( ${#files[@]} > 0 )); then cat "${files[@]}" else printf >&2 '%s\n' "${0##*/}: no *.x files" false fi You could also do: c...

write file + input file + write file
Hi, I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the document, because they use some values which are only available at the end! Can anybody please help me with that? Thanks in advance! I should be something like: \begin{document} \usepackage{style} \input{file2} %file exists from a previous run \end{document} style.sty: \newwrite\fileone \openout\fileone=file1.out \newwrite\filetwo \openout\filetwo=file2.out \newcommand{\writetofiletwo}[1]{% \write\filetwo{#1}% } \newcommand{\writetofileone}[1]{% \write\fileone{\writetofiletwo{some text}}% } \AtEndDocument{\closeout\fileone% \input{file1}% \closeout\filetwo% } Problem solved :-) \immediate\closeout before \input was required. greenux wrote: > Hi, > I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file > at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file > (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. > Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is > to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the > document, because they use some values which are only available at the > end! > Can anybody please help me with that? > Thanks in advance! &...

write into existing file with &quot;write to text file&quot;
Hi all,&nbsp;I have a text file that contains several lines of data (text). Now I would like to replace the first three lines with text coming from a string array.My approach is shown in WriteToFile.vi that is attached.When I am executing this vi (with an empty file), everything seems to be working fine in the first place.The file will contain the following text:oneoneonetwotwotwothreethreethreeNow, when the third element in the array is shortened (lets say to "threethr") before execution,&nbsp; the file will contain&nbsp; the following text:(the file was not emptied before execution)oneoneone twotwotwo threethrthreeHow can I avoid the last line being written? I have made many tests and I could not find a solution.One more example:Lets say we have an existing file, inside this file is:oneoneone twotwotwo three fourfourfourNow I would like to overwrite line three with "threethreethree". Therefore I execute my vi as shown in the attachment.What I get as a result is:oneoneonetwotwotwothreethreethreeurSo, the text in line four, which should not be touched, is "ur" instead of "fourfourfour". Any idea to solve this problem?What I basically need is replacing a line of a text file in a conveinient way.Thanks,Holger----LV 8.5.1 WriteToFile1.jpg: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/327029/1/WriteToFile1.jpg WriteToFile.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/327029/2/WriteToFile.vi The remaining fourth line is there becau...

How can I creat a file if the file doesn't exit?
int main( ) { string str; string filename; fstream outfile; cout<<"Input the file name you will save in:"<<endl; getline(cin,filename); outfile.open(filename.c_str() ); //cin.clear(); //清空流 cout<<"Please input your text....."<<endl; getline(cin,str); outfile<<str; outfile.close(); return 0; } when it request me to input the filename, if the filename I input is exit, the program work normally. But if the file doesn't exit, it can't work . how can i creat a new file when it doesn't exit? Thanks~ ^_^# { Ple...

file.encoding doesn't apply to file.write?
I noticed in python2.3 printing unicode to an appropriate terminal actually works. But using sys.stdout.write doesn't. Ex: Python 2.3.4 (#2, May 29 2004, 03:31:27) [GCC 3.3.3 (Debian 20040417)] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> sys.stdout.encoding 'UTF-8' >>> u=u'\u3053\u3093\u306b\u3061\u308f' >>> print u >>> sys.stdout.write(u) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii...

create a zip file with existing files in it
I try the zip example described in the doc. It worked that way. But now I want to add existing files to a new created zip. first the code <code> void OBApp::Test () { wxFFileOutputStream out(_T("C:\\test.zip")); wxZipOutputStream zip(out); wxTextOutputStream txt(zip); // ?? wxFileInputStream strFile("C:\\autoexec.bat"); wxString sep(wxFileName::GetPathSeparator()); zip.PutNextEntry(_T("C:\\autoexec.bat")); txt << _T("Some text for entry1.txt\n"); zip.PutNextEn...

Cannot create a file when that file already exists
I built a dummy Win32 Smart Device application from the Visual Studio 2005 wizard and upon deploying the application to the real Pocket PC device connected with ActiveSync 4.0, I got the following error message in the output console: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists". I had this error even the first time I deployed the application; thus it is not a problem because of a file I am trying to deploy that already exists. I did the same test on the Pocket PC 2003 emulator and everything works fine. Do you know to which file the error message is referring to? ...

How to determine whether a file doesn't exist or doesn't have enough permissions
Hello everone, I am stuck in determining whether a file does not exist or does not have enough permissions so that access to this file is denied?". I am using java.io.File.exists() or java.io.File.canRead() methods to check this but both of them just return false in both above mentioned cases. In the documentation however its mentioned that these method throw SecurityException - If a security manager exists and its SecurityManager.checkRead(java.lang.String) method denies read access to the file. But then problem is to write a security manager which denies read access if the file does not...

Creating a file that doesn't exist
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to create a file if it doean't exist. I am using fstream and writing in and out a binary file. I check to see if the file is opened. if it doesn't get opened, i want to create the file. I was wondering if this can be done. This is the code i have for opening the file: fstream rfile("names.db", ios::binary| ios::in | ios::out); if ( !rfile ) { cerr << "Could not open file 'names.db'\n"; } I am hoping to put the creating of the file after the cerr. i hope someone can help me out with this. thanks. ...

Tcl 8.6 unexpected 'file exists'
I have a proc which takes a full path argument for a file. (one of the items returned from a glob) roughly: proc handlefile {path} { #puts stdout [file normalize $path] set fsize [file size $path] #...etc } Strangely... a particular file has problems with the above. The 'file size' call returns: could not read "/usr/local/xxx/www/yyy/Newsletter/050609/~ $sueme220509.htm" no such file or directory The 'file normalize' output is "/usr/local/virtual1/hosting/base/yy/ yyy/yyy/www/Newsletter/050609/~$sueme220509.htm" Both these paths are valid, and equivalent due to some soft symlinking - and both work just fine in an interactive tclsh with 'file size' returning a size and 'file exists' returning 1. The heisenbuggish thing is - that the mere act of using puts to display the normalized path (without actually using the normalized value anywhere); causes the problem to disappear. i.e uncommenting the 2nd line in the proc above causes file size to work as expected. I'm assuming this is a bug - but at this stage I don't know if the ~ or $ characters are relevant or if it just happened to occur on this strangely named file for some other reason. This problem occurs on FreeBSD with a Tcl 8.5.b1 checked out in january - and also with 8.6b1.1 from 2009-06-14 The bug doesn't occur when I use an 8.5a4 tclkit I'll report a bug for it if it turns out to be a new one - but I just thought I'd throw ...

file exists / file not found
While playing with some code for another thread, I discovered that among the BASIC language diagnostics was the text FILE NOT FOUND. I am unable to find FILE EXISTS among the BASIC diagnostics. When I attempt a load of a non existent file, the drive error light blinks and the system issues a FILE NOT FOUND diagnostic. When I try to save data with a name of a file already on the disk, the drive error light blinks but no diagnostic is issued by the system. In both cases, the drive needs to be queried to retrieve the drive's diagnostic and to stop the drive error light from blinking. I ha...

Editing a text file and then replacing existing file
I have a script that I use to find text in a file and then delete the line(s) the text is on. That part works. What I have been unsuccessfully trying to do is take the new text and overwrite the existing file that I did the search and delete on. Here is my existing code that finds the lines and deletes them: path='c:\ruby192\my_projects\IIS_Logs\ex11012607.log' search_text = %r{/memberinfo/downline/tree/can.asp} search_text2 = %r{/memberinfo/downline/tree/disto.asp} search_text3 = %r{/styles/default.css} search_text4 = %r{/scripts/generalscript.js} search_text5 = %r{/member...

'Adding new data file' vs 'extending existing data file size' to increase Tablespace
As the Tablespace is almost filled on the running system now, we have to add additional space to the Tablespace. As I understand, the following are the two options available to do that: 1) Add a new data file to hold the additional data in Tablespace: SQL> alter tablespace my_TS add datafile '/someDir/my_TS2.dbf' size 100M; 2) Resize the existing Tablespace's data file. SQL> alter database datafile '/someDir/my_TS1.dbf' resize 200M; What is the best way to go? In my understanding, the 1st option is not preferable as the Tablespace is spread over 2 data files and hence, performance may get impacted slightly. Hence, I would prefer to go for the 2nd option. Kindly give your opinion on it! "qazmlp" <qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:db9bbf31.0410200930.2fa3a642@posting.google.com... > As the Tablespace is almost filled on the running system now, we have > to add additional space to the Tablespace. > > As I understand, the following are the two options available to do > that: > 1) > Add a new data file to hold the additional data in Tablespace: > SQL> alter tablespace my_TS add datafile '/someDir/my_TS2.dbf' size > 100M; > > 2) > Resize the existing Tablespace's data file. > SQL> alter database datafile '/someDir/my_TS1.dbf' resize 200M; > > What is the best way to go? > In my understanding, the 1st option is not preferable as the > Tablespa...

file extention from file file location
Hi, I am new to perl (only working on this one problem) but I program in other languages. We have an upload script written in cgi. Can anyone tell me how to get the file extension from the variable $File1 (actual file location on uploader's computer) then find out if it is equal to "txt" Thanks in advance for not telling me to read the manual. Ron -- PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content. HOW TO POST to co...

read text file through Labview and then write to an excel file
Hello, &nbsp; I am relatively new with using Labview. I was wondering what would be a general method of reading data from a text file (words, sentences, numbers, and etc.) and making Labview write it on an Excel file. &nbsp; Thanks Ivan ...

How to find New File,Write file and close file?
Hi Anyone can show me how to find New File,Write File and close file in block diagram.The picture of file names are as show in pics. Thanks &nbsp; Nyan Lin File find.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/322096/1/File find.JPG Hi. The functions You're looking for are under "File I/O --&gt; Advanced File Functions" (At least the NEW File) The 2 others are in the "File I/O" menu on the functions palette. Good luck.Message Edited by BCL@Servodan on 05-08-2008 03:38 AM Hi I can't find&nbsp; my files at Advanced file functions that which u say.. I am using LabVIEW PDA Module Version 8.5.So is there any concern with version? &nbsp; Thanks for ur reply Best Regards NyanLin Dear <a href="mailto:BCL@Servo" target="_blank">BCL@Servo</a>, Please give a screenshot. &nbsp; Thanks, Mathan Hi again. My mistake. I was looking in my LabView7. In 8.5.1 the Icons have changed........ I cannot give a screenshot of the 8.5.1, as it is on&nbsp;another PC, but the function is called Open/Create/Replace File, Write text to file and Close file. They are in the "Programming --&gt; File I/O" palette. Sorry for the inconvienience. &nbsp; Here a screenshot in LV8.5 of what <a href="mailto:BCL@Servo" target="_blank">BCL@Servo</a> told. Right click anywhere on block diagram window, click on the Floppy symbol in programming menu named File I/O. there everyt...

Creating new files in an existing deployed war file.
I have a web application that is contained in a war file. I have a requirement to generate an xml file ( will be an rss field ), that can be accessible at a given url within my web application. This file could be quite big, so I can't just generate it on the fly per request. Nor can I cache it in session data. I'd prefer to deploy my application in war, rather than exploded-war format ( portability being a large concern.... ), however given I need to generate this xml file and save it in a directory of my web-app root, I think my only option is to revert to exploded war use. Is there...

how to append contents to an existing file contents at the end of file?
Hi all &nbsp; I am Kiran, working with LV8.0&nbsp; FDS &nbsp; I find difficulty while trying to add new file contents(some messages) &nbsp;to an existing file at the end /begining of a file. &nbsp; Whenever i try to do that,it is replacing the previous contents,but i dont need that. i want the contents to be appended. &nbsp; Plz suggest me. &nbsp; thanks &amp; regards &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; kiran ...

atomically opening a file for writing that doesn't already exist?
Are there any intentions in the upcoming revision to the C++ standard to solve the problem that makes it impossible in C++ to *atomically* open a file for writing that does not already exist? (I understand that an early draft of the C++ standard had a mode noreplace, but that did not make it into the standard.) Attempts to first check for existence of the file and then open it suffer from a "Time of Check, Time of Use" (or TOCTOU) vulnerability. For example: ifstream fi("foo.txt");// attempt to open as input file if (!fi) { // file doesn't exist; so it's safe to create it and write to it ofstream fo("foo.txt"); // can now write to fo, e.g., fo << "Some output" << endl; ... } else // file exists; close and handle error { fi.close(); // handle error } On a shared multitasking system there is a window of opportunity between the first call of open and the second call for a malicious attacker to, for example, create a link with the given filename to an existing file, so that the existing file is overwritten by the second call of open and the subsequent writing to the file. See: https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/cplusplus/FIO01-A.+Do+not+make+assumptions+about+open%28%29+and+file+creation for more information and possible solutions that are not standard C++. Thanks, Fred Long CERT Coordination C...

How to create new python file with increament number, if doesn't exist?
hi, I want to create a new python file like 'data0.0.5', but if it is alread= y exist then it should create 'data0.0.6', if it's also exist then next lik= e 'data0.0.7'. I have done, but with range, please give me suggestion so th= at I can do it with specifying range. I was trying this way and it's working also.. i =3D 0 for i in range(100): try: with open('Data%d.%d.%d.json'%(0,0,i,)): pass continue except IOError: edxCorrectDataFile =3D file('Data%d.%d.%d.json'%(0,0,i,), 'a+') break But here I have defined range 100, Is it possible without range it create m= any required files? Thanks On Mon, 27 May 2013 02:27:59 -0700, Avnesh Shakya wrote: > I want to create a new python file like 'data0.0.5', but if it is > already exist then it should create 'data0.0.6', if it's also exist > then next like 'data0.0.7'. I have done, but with range, please give > me suggestion so that I can do it with specifying range. Try and put your description into the sequence of instructions you want the computer follow. For this problem, my sequence of instructions would be: 1) Find the highest numbered existing file that matches the filename data0.0.[number] 2) Create a new file that is one number higher. Now the solution is easy. Find the list of filenames in the directory that...

GUI *.fig file deleted, *.m file still exists, can *.fig file be retrieved?
I created a GUI, but the *.fig file was deleted, the *.m or code file still exists, can *.fig file be retrieved or can I regenerate the *.fig file from the *.m file? I am using MATLAB 6.5 Release 13. Please Help! Brian Bird wrote: > > > I created a GUI, but the *.fig file was deleted, the *.m or code > file > still exists, can *.fig file be retrieved or can I regenerate the > *.fig file from the *.m file? I am using MATLAB 6.5 Release 13. > Please Help! No, however the file might still be on the hard disk. Google for "undelete". One of the first hits is <h...

Web resources about - Write to text file. Append to existing file. Create file if file doesn't exist. - comp.lang.labview