printer settings, how to?

Hi,

Does ansi lisp has any standard functions for opening and using the
printer(physical) stream. Or is there any standard package for doing that?

On allegro there is "with-output-to-printer", but I am facing problems
using it. In particular I am not able to find a parameter( or some
setting) which will let me print without worrying about making sure that
it automatically forces a new-page when the current page is full.

Is there any help or documentation on how to use a printer?
I am using Window XP as the OS.

Thanks in advance.

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi
0
efuzzyone (233)
11/25/2004 12:29:52 AM
comp.lang.lisp 16861 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Does ansi lisp has any standard functions for opening and using the
> printer(physical) stream. Or is there any standard package for doing
> that?
>
> On allegro there is "with-output-to-printer", but I am facing problems
> using it. In particular I am not able to find a parameter( or some
> setting) which will let me print without worrying about making sure
> that it automatically forces a new-page when the current page is full.
>
> Is there any help or documentation on how to use a printer?
> I am using Window XP as the OS.
>
> Thanks in advance.

On MS-Windows-XP I'd bet:

    (with-open-file (printer "PRN:" :direction :output)
        (format printer "Hello~|"))

would print "Hello" on a page.

There's no standard functions to do that.
On unix with clisp, you could do:

    (with-open-stream (printer (ext:run-program "lpr"
                                    :input :stream :output :nil))
        (format printer "Hello~|"))

If you have a program similar to lpr on  MS-Windows, you could use the
same recipe (with clisp on MS-Windows).

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
0
spam200 (1672)
11/25/2004 2:52:45 AM
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Does ansi lisp has any standard functions for opening and using the
>>printer(physical) stream. Or is there any standard package for doing
>>that?
>>
>>On allegro there is "with-output-to-printer", but I am facing problems
>>using it. In particular I am not able to find a parameter( or some
>>setting) which will let me print without worrying about making sure
>>that it automatically forces a new-page when the current page is full.
>>
>>Is there any help or documentation on how to use a printer?
>>I am using Window XP as the OS.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> On MS-Windows-XP I'd bet:
>
>     (with-open-file (printer "PRN:" :direction :output)
>         (format printer "Hello~|"))
>
> would print "Hello" on a page.
>

> There's no standard functions to do that.
> On unix with clisp, you could do:
>
>     (with-open-stream (printer (ext:run-program "lpr"
>                                     :input :stream :output :nil))
>         (format printer "Hello~|"))
>
> If you have a program similar to lpr on  MS-Windows, you could use the
> same recipe (with clisp on MS-Windows).

Is there any function or setting which will do automatic print buffer
management, like taking care of formatting, changing the page etc.?

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi
0