Problems building CLISP 2.35 on OS X?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
it died with this message:

  stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
  stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
  make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
  make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2

Anyone know what this is about?

-Peter

P.S. I realize that this would be better addressed to the CLISP
developers list but the moderator of that list rejected my message
when I tried to post it there via Gmane. I'm hoping someone here can
help me out so I can build a refreshed OS X Lispbox without having to
subscribe to a mailing list I'd rather read via Gmane.

--
Peter Seibel           * peter@gigamonkeys.com
Reply peter14 (674) 11/1/2005 10:47:52 PM

See related articles to this posting

Peter Seibel <peter@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

clisp-2.35 on 10.3 has no difficulties.
There must be a different or broken readline on 10.4.

If you install readline with fink, you should be able to compile using
it adding: --with-readline-prefix=/sw
to ./configure.

You can also compile clisp without readline: --without-readline

Right.  Better subscribe and address directly <clisp-list@lists.sourceforge.net>

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

> * Peter Seibel <crgre@tvtnzbaxrlf.pbz> [2005-11-01 22:47:52 +0000]:
>
> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

broken readline.

> P.S. I realize that this would be better addressed to the CLISP
> developers list but the moderator of that list rejected my message
> when I tried to post it there via Gmane. I'm hoping someone here can
> help me out so I can build a refreshed OS X Lispbox without having to
> subscribe to a mailing list I'd rather read via Gmane.

see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/faq.html#faq-rejected>

<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.savegushkatif.org>
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/>
Time would have been the best Teacher, if it did not kill all its students.
0
Reply sds (415) 11/1/2005 11:54:25 PM

> * Peter Seibel <crgre@tvtnzbaxrlf.pbz> [2005-11-01 22:47:52 +0000]:
>
> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

this question is answered in clisp/unix/PLATFORMS file in the source
distribution.

<http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/> <http://www.dhimmi.com/>
<http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.camera.org>
Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.
0
Reply sds (415) 11/1/2005 11:57:40 PM
comp.lang.lisp 15467 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Problems building 4.2.2p4 on Mac OS X 10.1.5
I'm attempting to build 4.2.2p4 on the following box: Beige Mac G3 (Open Firmware 2.4) Mac OS X 10.1.5 (a.k.a. "Puma") Developer Tools CD as of September 2001 Running "cc --version" reports "2.95.2" Running "make --version" reports "GNU Make version 3.79.1 built for powerpc-apple-darwin5.5" The OS comes pre-loaded with ntpd version 4.0.95, which I'm trying to replace with the current production version. I've posted the output from running configure at http://pages.infinit.net/quatorze/configure.txt. The file is 25KB. I've als...

Problem building mod_ruby 1.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.3
I'm trying to set up my Mac so I can write .rhtml files in Ruby. I've downloaded and built eRuby 1.0.5 and apache 2.0.48 and they both seem fine. I'm now trying build mod_ruby. I start with ./configure --with-apxs Then make With this I get the following error after a load of other stuff before that looks like it works. ld: Undefined symbols: _ap_add_cgi_vars _ap_add_common_vars _ap_add_version_component _ap_kill_timeout _ap_log_error _ap_null_cleanup _ap_palloc _ap_register_cleanup _ap_signal _ap_soft_timeout _ap_table_get _ap_table_set _environ _rb_string_value_ptr _ap_app...

Re: Problems with BIND 9.2.2 on OS X #2
> > Hi Dave, > There is a thread on comp.protocols.dns.bind that is now discussing > this issue...which is causing OS X Server admins big headaches. > > http://groups.google.com/groups? > hl=en&lr=&threadm=clsl2t%242evk%241%40sf1.isc.org&prev=/ > groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dcomp.protocols.dns.bind > > I am sure my router is not blocking large UDP packets. > > Andrew comp.protocols.dns.bind *is* bind-users@isc.org There is a bi-directional gateway between the two. -- Mark Andrews, ISC 1 Seymour St., Dundas Vall...

ZoomView problem in Mac OS X 10.2.x & 10.3.x
Hello Everyone This mail is sent to more groups and mailing lists in different countries, also groups, which normally not uses the English language as the native list language, so - PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS MESSAGE! - but read it carefully and then follow the instructions regarding answering at the buttom of this mail. I have discovered a bug in Mac OS X 10.2.x and up to latest version 10.3.= 8. When you activate the controlpane *ZoomView* for enlargement and put it either in 'Normal mode' - i.e. black text on white background, - or in "Reverse Mode" - i.e. whit...

font problems with OS X 10.2.x
When we ran 10.1.x all the fonts worked okay - exactly as expected (the same as they did under 9.2). After going up to 10.2.3 (and also after the upgrade to 10.2.8) the fonts don't seem to work. If I put them in Library/Fonts or User/Library/Fonts they just don't seem to be recognised by the system. Some will (one example was an Opentype copy of Wingdings, from a PC) but not other Type 1 fonts, even straight off the Linotype Gold CD. We are not using any type of font manager - we were hoping to get away without one until Panther comes out which I believe has some sort of font managemen...

font problems with OS X 10.2.x
When we ran 10.1.x all the fonts worked okay - exactly as expected (the same as they did under 9.2). After going up to 10.2.3 (and also after the upgrade to 10.2.8) the fonts don't seem to work. If I put them in Library/Fonts or User/Library/Fonts they just don't seem to be recognised by the system. Some will (one example was an Opentype copy of Wingdings, from a PC) but not other Type 1 fonts, even straight off the Linotype Gold CD. We are not using any type of font manager - we were hoping to get away without one until Panther comes out which I believe has some sort of font managemen...

Problems with BIND 9.2.2 on OS X
There is some consternation on the OS X Server mailing lists regarding wide-spread problems with BIND that seem to have got "worse" recently. OS X Server ships with BIND 9.2.2. The typical complaint seems to be that BIND is failing to resolve addresses on a first attempt, and returning 'server not found to the client'. On the second or third attempt, though, BIND succeeds. No-one seems to be able to decide if it is OS X specific , or a wider BIND issue? This is one explanation ? "A few days ago, I can not get the exact date, some of the root servers s...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Doug, > > Thanks for using the PRF. > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > please download the version in our CVS repo at I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on ...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 > beta should > > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > > please download the version in our CVS repo at > > I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this > version is used > extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of > ACE all these > products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) ;-) Right - this is where the value...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, >> I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version >> is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of >> ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to >> explode ;) >> >> Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? It'll take some work, but companies like Riverace, Remedy, and OCI can help out with this stuff if staying with 5.3.1 is essential. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for help with this stuff. >>...

wxMSW 2.5.2 (Sep 2004 cvs version)
Compiler: VC++ 6.0 wxWidgets 2.5.2 cvs Sep 2004 version Platform: Windows I have an application and a dll that work on Windows and Mac. Both the application and dll are dynamically linked with wxWidgets. Within the dll, I start two threads A and B. Thread A does some processing and goes to sleep using = wxThread::Sleep(30000) Later, Thread B does some processing and goes to sleep using = wxThread::Sleep(10000) Thread B wakes up and starts running after sleeping for 10 seconds. = Thread A never gets scheduled. It gets stuck. I have already tried using SetPriority and Yie...

building Python 2.4.2 on Mac OS X
are there any easy to understand instructions for building Python on Mac OS X Tiger? are there any prerequisites that i have missed? my ./configure && make stops here: Python/mactoolboxglue.c:462: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast make: *** [Python/mactoolboxglue.o] Error 1 Vidar Gundersen wrote: > are there any easy to understand instructions > for building Python on Mac OS X Tiger? It should work out of the box. > are there any prerequisites that i have missed? > my ./configure && make stops here: You should pass --with-suffix=.exe to...

most unusual os x system problem 10.2.x
I have a problem I've never seen before on a Mac. Running OS X 10.2.6 right now but this problems also occurs with other versions of 10.2. I am not able to click and drag icons on my computer's desktop. It is as if there is some kind of system glitch or something. I am not able to select a folder and drag the item anywhere (ie. the dock, another folder on the harddrive, etc.) This is obviously a pain because I can't open items by dragging them and I can't organize my computer as I like. Does anyone have ideas of how to fix this problem? I have already tried to run the ...

Re: Problems with BIND 9.2.2 on OS X
bind-users-bounce@isc.org wrote on 10/29/2004 04:08:38 PM: [clip para, see OP for details] > > " > > Here is a typical session showing two failures , followed by a success > > > xserveg5:/Users/admin root# dig +trace www.thinksecret.com > > ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> +trace www.thinksecret.com > ;; global options: printcmd > . 514064 IN NS E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. > . 514064 IN NS F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. > . 514064 IN NS G....

Re: Problems with BIND 9.2.2 on OS X #3
on 10/29/04 1:08 PM, Andrew Cunningham at andrewc@mac.com wrote: > "A few days ago, I can not get the exact date, some of the root servers > started sending out AAAA records rather than A records. An AAAA record > is the same as a A record, just the IPv6 version of it. > > There is a long standing bug in BSD, or i should say, so I am told, > that of course is also in OS X, that causes problems with name > resolution under IPv6. BIND 9.2.3 running with IPv6 off is working out well for me, I will run it in test for a few hours and hopefully report back. -...

OS X 10.2.3 to 10.2.8 Install Problems
I recently installed the OS 10.2.8 Update Combo onto a Mac G4, which was previously running OS 10.2.3. After installing the Update Combo, I can't view anything on the computer?!?!?!? I tried rebooting the computer several times, but the computer just goes to a blank desktop window. No menu commands and desktop items are viewable. I restarted the computer holding down the X key and rebooting from a system disk, but nothing. I tried reinstalling the system, but the hard drive isn't present when trying to select a drive to install the system onto. I was able to run disk repair, but ...

[ace-bugs] Installation/Build Problem: problem installing on Mac OS X 10.3
--Apple-Mail-5-278401698 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed ACE VERSION: 5.3.6 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X (10.3), 1Ghz Powerbook CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: (attached) CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU: (attached) AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Installation/building DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: Installation/building SYNOPSIS: I'm trying to build ACE on Mac OS X 10.3. The build ran for a while and seemed to be working, then terminated with a...

Built Xemacs 21.4.21 on OS X 10.5.2 : 2 problems
I just got a new macbook, installed gcc from the included CD, and downloaded and built Xemacs 21.4.21 according to the instructions on the www.xemcs.org web site. I'm a bit new to all this (a long-time c-unix programmer, though), so there are still some unresolved problems. 1) the executable ended up in /usr/src/xemacs-21.4.21/src . Is this really the right location? 2) The program does run, and gives me a mostly functional Xemacs (without most of the packages yet), but I can only run it from an xterm from the command-line. And when I run it, I don't get any icon in ...

Re: [ace-bugs] Installation/Build Problem: problem installing on Mac OS X 10.3
Hi Tim, John Zorko <jmzorko@mac.com> is our Mac OS X guru. Please coordinate with him to get this stuff working! Thanks, Doug > ACE VERSION: 5.3.6 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X (10.3), 1Ghz Powerbook > > CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: (attached) > > CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU: > (attached) > > AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Installation/building > > DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: Installation/building > > SYNOPSIS: > I'm tryin...

IDL 7.1, OS X 10.8.2 & XQuartz 2.7.4 problem
Has anyone got IDL 7.1 working properly with Mountain Lion? Mine works OK for plotting & grey scale colormap image display, but for instance: IDL>cursor,x,y,/data does not work (hangs and waits for mouse click) and loadct does not change colormap (whatever number I try, I always get grey scale). No error messages. Any ideas anyone. Upgrading to 8.1 is unfortunately not an option now, maybe later. Cheers, Pasi Pasi Hakala writes: > Has anyone got IDL 7.1 working properly with Mountain Lion? > Mine works OK for plotting & grey scale colormap image disp...

problem in wxMac 2.6.2 unicode mach-o build using Codewarrior 8.3 on Mac OS 10.3
Hi, I am getting the following error while compiling wxMac 2.6.2, wxLib Mach-o(debug/release) build with wxUSE_UNICODE flag set to 1 I am using Codewarrior 8.3 on Mac OS 10.3 Error : type mismatch 'wxMBConvUTF16BE' and 'wxMBConv' dobjcmn.cpp line 283 return format == wxDF_UNICODETEXT ? sUTF16Converter : (wxMBConv&) wxConvLocal; Can someone throw some light on this issue and let me know whether it is a wxMac issue or i am making some mistake in setting the flags for unicode build. Any suggestions or workaround will be highly appreciated. The only cha...

Build problems on OS X PPC
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] I have been having problems building recent Ruby 1.9 releases on my old PowerBook. I was wondering if anyone else on OX X 10.5.5 PPC has been having issues, or whether it might be some failure of my hardware. Is RubyForge the right place to report these issues: http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=22293&group_id=426&atid=1698 [[#22293] ruby-trunk make test failures OS X 10.5.5 PPC since after revision 18754] http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=22294&group_id=426&atid=169...

VueScan problem with OS X.2
my mac has been acting weird anyway lately, after having the HD replaced recently, then having OS X.2 re-loaded. However, I downloaded Vuescan after the new HD was put in, when I discovered that I could not scan from my old hp ScanJet 4c into Photoshop, which I had always been able to do in OS 9.2. So Vuescan was initially a godsend. Until recently, when Vuescan started acting really oddly, with no ability to alter the preferences (or even access them), and all the text in the scan window being jumbled and unnavigatible/unusable. Very frustrating. No matter how many times I delete th...

problems with OS X and beta 2
Did I miss something that I should so to make 8.0beta2 for Mac OS X. I read the README and install and I see no specific instructions for OS X. Here is the info where the make fails. OS X 10.3.5 gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666) What else can I send to you? Ted gcc -no-cpp-precomp -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -L../../src/port access/SUBSYS.o bootstrap/SUBSYS.o catalog/SUBSYS.o parser/SUBSYS.o commands/SUBSYS.o executor/SUBSYS.o lib/SUBSYS.o libpq/SUBSYS.o main/SUBSYS.o nodes/SUBSYS.o optimizer/SUB...