Problems building CLISP 2.35 on OS X?

Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
it died with this message:

  stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
  stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
  make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
  make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2

Anyone know what this is about?

-Peter

P.S. I realize that this would be better addressed to the CLISP
developers list but the moderator of that list rejected my message
when I tried to post it there via Gmane. I'm hoping someone here can
help me out so I can build a refreshed OS X Lispbox without having to
subscribe to a mailing list I'd rather read via Gmane.

--
Peter Seibel           * peter@gigamonkeys.com
peter14 (674)

Peter Seibel <peter@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

clisp-2.35 on 10.3 has no difficulties.
There must be a different or broken readline on 10.4.

If you install readline with fink, you should be able to compile using
it adding: --with-readline-prefix=/sw
to ./configure.

You can also compile clisp without readline: --without-readline

Right.  Better subscribe and address directly <clisp-list@lists.sourceforge.net>

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> * Peter Seibel <crgre@tvtnzbaxrlf.pbz> [2005-11-01 22:47:52 +0000]:
>
> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

broken readline.

> P.S. I realize that this would be better addressed to the CLISP
> developers list but the moderator of that list rejected my message
> when I tried to post it there via Gmane. I'm hoping someone here can
> help me out so I can build a refreshed OS X Lispbox without having to
> subscribe to a mailing list I'd rather read via Gmane.

see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/faq.html#faq-rejected>

<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.savegushkatif.org>
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/>
Time would have been the best Teacher, if it did not kill all its students.
0
sds (415)
11/1/2005 11:54:25 PM
> * Peter Seibel <crgre@tvtnzbaxrlf.pbz> [2005-11-01 22:47:52 +0000]:
>
> Has anyone but me had any trouble building CLISP on an OS X (10.4)
> machine? I grabbed the CVS sources today and tried to build them and
> it died with this message:
>
>   stream.d: In function 'rl_memory_abort':
>   stream.d:15068: error: 'rl_gnu_readline_p' Undeclared (first use in this function)
>   make[1]: *** [stream.o] Error 1
>   make: *** [staging/clisp-2.35/src/clisp] Error 2
>
> Anyone know what this is about?

this question is answered in clisp/unix/PLATFORMS file in the source
distribution.

<http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/> <http://www.dhimmi.com/>
<http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.camera.org>
Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.