Reminder: Common Lisp Weekly News

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Weekly news are published for several programming language communities.
Since december 2008 there are weekly news collected for (Common) Lisp:

  http://lispnews.wordpress.com/

Quoted from the website:

  LispNews.wordpress.com�� a weekly newspost and newsletter
  dedicated to the recent developments in the Common Lisp community.

   *	If you know something that you think would interest the rest of the community,
   *	If you would like to announce a software release,
   *	Or anything else Common Lisp related,

  Then drop me a mail (reverse '("com" "." "yahoo" "@" "anyakinvictor")).

Those who want to catch up with recent developments without following
newsgroups, mailing lists, webforums, etc. might find it useful.
Remember to send in to the lispified mail address above if you
want to see something mentioned there...

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
0

See related articles to this posting

comp.lang.lisp 15606 articles. 5 followers. Post

Common Lisp Weekly News
http://lispnews.wordpress.com/ Looks like a useful service. Let's see how long it lasts. Make sure you send a message to (reverse '("com" "." "yahoo" "@" "anyakinvictor")) of everything newsworthy you want to see there. -- http://lispm.dyndns.org/ ...

Common Lisp on TV (for weeks)
On air... For Your Information: As some of the #lisp people on irc.freenode.net knows I'm (together with two geek friends from fazlamesai.net) producing a technology program called Fazla Mesai on a Turkish TV: http://www.teknolojitelevizyonu.com which broadcasts over cable and sattelite (including the whole Europe). It is seldom that we don't mention Lisp this way or the other on every Wednesday evening between 21:30 - 22:40. Whenever possible we try to show something related to Lisp, audiovisually. This means... yes, videos. What have we done until now? Well, we talked about ...

Common Lisp Directory news
The development of the Common Lisp Directory is going on. As I have several real work projects to finish, I can't spend as much time as I would like on this project, but it is progressing anyway and I hope to be able to put the new version online next week. The Common Lisp Directory is here: http://www.cl-user.net (Thanks to Arthur Lemmens for this cool name ;-) So far the categorization system is finished and I'm adding the following objects to the directory. -implementations -libraries -persons -html-documents -external-documents -organizations -events ...

Common Lisp Application Builder news
The Common Lisp Application Builder project now has its own domain: http://www.lispbuilder.org/ The CLISP patch for Windows is updated to the latest version 2.38 and with the help of Surendra Singhi for the SWIG module and Justin Heyes-Jones for the SDL mapping, now we have our first SDL test program on Windows, which is end-user friendly (no console window, only 2 files to install). Next steps will be finishing the SDL Lisp bindings, porting of some games and creating a simple to use gaming package. If you want to help with the project in general or discuss how the gaming package should lo...

News about the European Common Lisp Meeting
Hi, We now have 104 registrations from 20 countries for the European Common Lisp Meeting in Hamburg. This means that there are only 21 seats left. If you want to be sure of a place, don't wait with registering until April 19 but register NOW at: http://weitz.de/eclm2006/ About the dinner on Saturday evening: thanks to Edi's negotiation skills the original maximum of 80 people has now turned into a maximum of 90 people. But with 83 seats already taken you'd better register YESTERDAY if you're interested in more than a lonely Big Mac on Saturday evening. Looking forward...

[News] CMS Award Competition Reminder, New FLOSS Weekly Episode

Common Lisp :Help me!!Viva one week to go!! -> How to read from textfile structure by structure and assigning them to names and variables....dun want to extract all structures in a bunch
Am still completing my expert system or rather diagnostic system in Common Lisp and bit stressed right now. I have saved my cases into lisp structures using defstruct into a textfile. THe question is : 1. How to extract structures one by one from the textfile rather than the whole bunch of them? 2. And how do i index them and append them to a database called *example-database* (which consist of previous cases using defstruct)after a new case is saved into the textfile? How do I update it to *example-database* after extracting from the textfile? Please help, tq aston > Am still compl...

why Common Lisp is not a lisp
How about, when trying to decide "what is lisp" or to apply "lispp" to some _thing_, we just go very low level and somewhat retro and mostly informal? As a straw-man: a lisp is any language implementation which includes a run time system with some recognizably lispish types (cons pairs, numbers, symbols) having their familiar properties (latent typing, gc-based memory management), and implemented in a recognizably traditional way (or a brilliant new way, worthy of being added to the design space). In the language implemented, programs are expressed in s-exp syntax and th...

[News] DistroWatch Weekly and Ubuntu Weekly Released for This Week

Are you interested in creation of separate group for common lisp comp.lang.common-lisp
As we all know common lisp doesn't have it's own group but instead uses generic comp.lang.lisp that belongs to the whole family of lisp languages. This brings a lot of problems reagarding a tone and discussion in comp.lang.lisp, confusing new users unaccustomed to generality of comp.lang.lisp and its mostly common lisp population.It also fuels flame wars between common lispers and users of the other dialects. The latest example is thread What kind of Lisp should I learn if I want to start programing with Lisp? I propose a creation of new usenet group comp.lang.common-lisp aimed at disc...

Lisp vs. Common Lisp
I'm deeply interested in Lisp. I'm learning it through Peter Seibel's PCL. One comment I find a lot when people talk about Lisp is that Lisp is wonderful, but CL has a lot of problems (problems I cannot understand due to my newbieness). Now, I don't want to learn the wrong Lisp. What do people mean by Lisp in this context? Is it Lisp 1, Lisp 1.5, the particular dialect they used and fall in love with? If this unidentified Lisp is so great, why don't they use it and avoid all the pitfalls of CL? On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:36:50 -0700, Simon wrote: > I'm...

Why Common Lisp is not a Lisp, continued
[I am picking up this thread again that came to a rest some time ago. I am doing this because it took me relatively long to dig out an article referenced in the posting below.] [I know that such topics are likely to ignite heated discussions between Common Lispniks and Schemers, and some find them practically irrelevant. But, heck, I am interested in these things, and I don't know where else to discuss them. ;) ] > From: Rainer Joswig <joswig@lispmachine.de> > Subject: Re: why Common Lisp is not a lisp > Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:01:48 +0200 > Message-ID: <joswi...

Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version?
Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version? I heard this at a seminar, so just checking. Unless one includes the platforms Emacs runs on with its embedded Lisp. -- Regards, Casey Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME@istar.ca> writes: > Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel > Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version? CLisp is more portable than SBCL. Likewise I think ECL supports more platforms. It is my understanding that SBCL requires fairly intimate ...

Emacs Lisp & Common Lisp
A question: If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I going to damage my understanding of either in some way? "Paul Lange" <plange@gmail.com> writes: > A question: > > If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I > going to damage my understanding of either in some way? Depends whether you can keep them separate in your mind. If you can, observing the differences should be educational. But if not, you'll possibly waste some time discovering the differences the hard way, namely having your programs not work in o...

[News] Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter for This Week is Out

[News] DistroWatch Weekly Gives Sabayon Linux 5 a Go; Ubuntu Weekly and Softpedia Linux Weekly Also Out

named parameters in Common Lisp or Scheme Lisp
emacs lisp does not have named parameters. This is a practical pain. Can anyone tell me how Common Lisp or Scheme Lisp solve this problem? In particular, in CL or SL: =E2=80=A2 does it support named parameter? =E2=80=A2 if it supports named parameter, can the programer choose to make = the parameter a required argument, or is it always optional? =E2=80=A2 what's the syntaxt for it? =E2=80=A2 when it is optional, how to set default value? (or what's the syntax) Thanks. Xah =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/ =E2=98=84 "xahlee@gmail.com" <xahlee@gmail.com> writes: &...

Core foundation of Common Lisp (not pure Lisp)
Last night I had a difficult time falling asleep (getting myself back on schedule from the late nights surrounding the holidays) and was thinking. In most Forth systems, very little of the actual language is written in assembly. Most of it is written in Forth. This, of course, is true for Lisp as well. My curiosity is in how much of a (typical, ie commercial) Lisp system is actually written in Lisp. Now, let me be more specific. I do not mean the compiler or IDE - these are of course written in Lisp. I mean to say just the ANSI spec. How much of the spec (%) is just macros around what might b...

Updates to the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net
Hi all, I'm pretty new to lisp and found the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net (http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html) a pretty good resource to start with. Is there a plan to update it? From the text it appears that the last update was in December last year. It the time ripe for an update? It helped me a get quick perspective on lisp options. -- Sid On 24/12/2009 06:19, Siddharth H wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm pretty new to lisp and found the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net > (http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html) a pretty good resource > to st...

Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp
=E3=80=88Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp=E3=80=89 http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/elisp_common_lisp_in_emacs.html probably of interest to many of you. plain text version follows. --------------------------------------------- [1]Emacs Lisp Tutorial Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp Xah Lee, 2012-06-13 For you emacs lisp coders, there's controversy in using the cl package (require 'cl). This page is my introduction about the issue, with opinions from emacs developers. First, here's what the official manual (info ...

[News] Last Week Was an Exciting Week for Linux
DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 227, 5 November 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | An excellent week for open source software enthusiasts as it finally brought | the first public preview of the OpenSolaris-based Indiana, a new operating | system trying to take over our desktops. Will it succeed? Although the | release was marred by controversies and heated discussions on the project's | mailing list, the first reviews indicate that Indiana is on the right track. | In other news, a new distribution called gOS gets bundled with a US$199 Linux | computer, Mandriva's François Bancilhon writes an ...

Program which converts Common Lisp into a LISP1 Lisp
Lisp1 is an ANSI Common Lisp program I wrote that makes Common Lisp systems operate as LISP1 Lisp dialects with virtually no overhead. LISP1 means that functions are treated just like variable values. They can be assigned to, passed around, and localized just like variables. No special functions or added complexity is needed. (Scheme is a LISP1 Lisp.) The underlying lisp compiler and saving of lisp images and executables is retained. It has been tested with CLISP and SBCL. Get it at: http://blake.mcbride.name Blake McBride blake@mcbride.name Blake McBride wrote: > > Lisp1...

[News] Ubuntu Weekly News and Some Successful Upgrades

Scope of COMMON LISP vs. EMACS LISP problem
Why does the following work in emacs lisp but not in common lisp? (let ((A '(AA BB CC)) (B '(car A))) (eval B)) And how would I make it work in common lisp? Thanks for any help on this. On 21/02/2011 18:03, sebs wrote: > Why does the following work in emacs lisp but not in common lisp? > > (let ((A '(AA BB CC)) > (B '(car A))) > (eval B)) > > And how would I make it work in common lisp? > > Thanks for any help on this. Common Lisp is by default lexically scoped, whereas Emacs Lisp is dynamically scoped. E...