Reminder: Common Lisp Weekly News

Weekly news are published for several programming language communities.
Since december 2008 there are weekly news collected for (Common) Lisp:

  http://lispnews.wordpress.com/

Quoted from the website:

  LispNews.wordpress.com�� a weekly newspost and newsletter
  dedicated to the recent developments in the Common Lisp community.

   *	If you know something that you think would interest the rest of the community,
   *	If you would like to announce a software release,
   *	Or anything else Common Lisp related,

  Then drop me a mail (reverse '("com" "." "yahoo" "@" "anyakinvictor")).

Those who want to catch up with recent developments without following
newsgroups, mailing lists, webforums, etc. might find it useful.
Remember to send in to the lispified mail address above if you
want to see something mentioned there...

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
0

Reminder
Henry J Beans, The Printworks, Manchester. Saturday 26th February 2005, from 2pm. Mmmm, Hoegaarden. Er, anyone else turning up besides me and Mal? In article <3864g2F5e5ontU1@individual.net>, gasman@raww.org says... > Henry J Beans, The Printworks, Manchester. Saturday 26th February 2005, > from 2pm. > > Mmmm, Hoegaarden. > > Er, anyone else turning up besides me and Mal? > Not even me now - didn't think it would be going ahead due to the lack of response and have an optician's appointment on saturday afternoon now :-) Besides, HJB no longer sell Ho...

[News] Microsoft Has "Midlife Crisis", GNU/Linux Does More for Less

Great News Blog!
http://www.newsblog2005.blogspot.com << Great News Blog! ...

future in software industry as a lisp programmer
I have been studying lisp for the last two years and working in industry for the last one year as a lisp programmer in web sphere in travel domain . As it is initial stage of my career I don't know much about the software industry and jumped into lisp out of curiosity and desire to learn something different. I could afford to take risk at such an early stage.Firstly I am going to point out two things: 1.Lisp sadly lacks good library support . That means sometimes very ordinary stuff which can be done very easily in say Java will take quite a lot of time in lisp. Say you need a functionalit...

separate tables with common column widths

"sorting the news"
We have program which prints news. Every news contains subject and body text. Also, we count how much was every news read. Everytime a news get read, we add 1 to to the value "read". Create functions which will print the top 5 of the news, how much in average something gets read, and what's the difference between the top news and the news in the middle. Here is some nasty code, I've translated it from Croatian. Hope it makes sense. However, sorting looks pretty nasty and it's written badly. Any suggestions in changing? I am stuck with the deadline, only tomorrow is left...

[News] Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Coming Soon

REMINDER: BCS-FACS/BCSWomen Evening Seminar by Prof. Muffy Calder, 21 September 2005, London
(Apologies if you receive multiple copies) BCS-FACS Evening Seminar -- A joint event with the BCSWomen Group Formal Methods Meets Biochemical Pathways Professor Muffy Calder University of Glasgow 21 September 2005 5.45pm BCS London Offices First Floor The Davidson Building 5 Southampton Street London WC2E 7HA http://www.bcs-facs.org/events/EveningSeminars/ Yes, this really is a Computing Science seminar! In this talk I will conside...

[News] New Wins for Open Access/Content

Quick (or quasi-quick) start for a UnCommon Web (and Lisp) newbie...
-*- outline -*- * Quick (or quasi-quick) start for a UnCommon Web (and Lisp) newbie * (release 0.1 - 01-Nov-2005) ** Abstract This document describes how to configure a new application in the UnCommon Web framework, using portableaserve as web server backend. This document is NOT an introduction to Lisp language and is NOT a tutorial to UnCommon Web. ** Introduction The author of UnCommon Web (UCW) is Marco Baringer. The homepage of UCW is http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/. You can download UCW from ftp://ftp.common-lisp.net/pub/project/ucw. There are two movies (sic!) about Slime and...

[News] Advantage of Free Software in Web Design is Explained

Common Lisp Directory news
The development of the Common Lisp Directory is going on. As I have several real work projects to finish, I can't spend as much time as I would like on this project, but it is progressing anyway and I hope to be able to put the new version online next week. The Common Lisp Directory is here: http://www.cl-user.net (Thanks to Arthur Lemmens for this cool name ;-) So far the categorization system is finished and I'm adding the following objects to the directory. -implementations -libraries -persons -html-documents -external-documents -organizations -events ...

[News] XGL on XFCE Desktop
,----[ Quote ] | Dreamlinux 2.0 Works was released on July 16 and this time there's a | kicker. This time it's available in an XGL edition. Where they may not be | the first to put out an XGL edition, I believe they are the first provide | the advanced effects for the xfce4 destkop. `---- http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/8358 Many details and screenshots in this review. ...

Friendly Reminder
Helped someone who I introduced to Linux a few months ago take the plunge by wiping XP Home off his DELL Laptop and install Mandrake. After the install finished, he is all excited and goes to logon for the first time and he notices that GNOME is not available. He starts bitching and complaining about where's GNOME, he likes GNOME, doesn't want anything but GNOME, etc. I'm like, "Yo calm down, we can install GNOME no problems." Then it struck me, so I say to him on the sly, "Hey, by the way, what Window Manager did you use when you used Windows?" By the look...

RONWUG Reminder Wednesday 17th November
RONWUG - RISC OS North West User Group - 17th November 2010 This month at RONWUG, we will be looking at the Apollonius application. Apollonius is a Parametric Design Tool: a sort of CAD program with geometric and statics/mechanics capabilities. Given time we will compare it with traditional CAD programs. We may also have a hardware project - bringing an A7000+ machine up to date. Don't forget - it's this coming Wednesday, see you there. We're still looking for either volunteers to give talks, or requests for subjects to be covered by others, so if you have any ideas, please get...

Lisp w/out GC
Note: I've only been using CL for a few weeks. This question is directed mostly toward experienced users of both Lisp and system-level or embedded C. If you think that Lisp can be practical in all cases where C is currently used, this thread is not for you. (Think GameBoy Advance.) Clearly, a Lisp without garbage collection is no Lisp at all. Explicit memory management would turn currently elegant code into bloated cludgery. Previously simple tasks would become arduous and bug-prone. But let's forget that for a moment and look at it from a different perspective: If a language ha...

Weekly Mini-FAQ post for DJGPP #433
This is the Mini-FAQ for djgpp. $Date: 2012/02/05 22:00:32 $ ------------------------------- -- This is posted weekly to the djgpp news group and mailing list. -- What is DJGPP? DJGPP is a 32-bit C/C++/ObjC++/Ada/F95 development suite -------------- for the MS-DOS environment, based on the GNU tools. Full information is found in the complete (200+ page) FAQ -- make sure you get the complete FAQ (see below) How do I get DJGPP? ------------------- FTP: ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/ WWW: http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/ RSYNC: rsync....

e commerce sites using lisp
show me some! extra cred for any free blog I can use powered by lisp On 22 Oct 2014, derrr fhurer wrote: > show me some! > > extra cred for any free blog I can use powered by lisp I can’t say much, and though it isn’t ecommerce, I’m currently developing a Medical Records Management system in LISP, it’s for a niche market, but will be pretty cool when done. Sam -- Samuel W. Flint swflint@flintfam.org (402) 517-8468 <XMPP> "The most dangerous phrase in the language is, 'We've always done it this way'." -- Grace H...

[News] Sun Microsystems Becomes More Like Linux to Survive
At 25, Sun struggles to reinvent itself ,----[ Quote ] | Had Sun stuck to its roots, it might still enjoy the dominant share | of the Unix market today. Instead it succumbed to its own early | tactics. A new OS appeared -- Linux -- built from scratch but based | on open standards. It could only do a portion of what Solaris | could do, but it cost nothing and ran on commodity x86 hardware. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b504500217%3bfp%3b16%3bfpid%3b0 One might wonder if, having eliminated SCO, Linux will get Microsoft before it gets Sun. Sun is at least willing to evolv...

Weekly Statistics for comp.os.linux.advocacy. 9/6/2008
Weekly Statistics for comp.os.linux.advocacy. 9/6/2008 Number of threads ................... 449 Number of articles .................. 2904 Average articles per thread ......... 6.47 Number of unanswered posts .......... 270 Top Threads Ranking Articles Subject ------- -------- ---------------------------- 1 157 Goodbye Linux - R.I.P. 2 126 Look, I'm a Linux advocate* 3 114 Rick Hatton 4 94 Re: What exactly is EXIF data? 5 86 Re: Newest member of the COLA Trolls Liar's Club 6 83 What exactly...

[News] Another Game Goes Free Software/Open Source

Last Call for Papers Reminder (extended): World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science WCECS 2013 #2
Last Call for Papers Reminder (extended): World Congress on Engineering and= Computer Science WCECS 2013 Draft Paper Submission Deadline (extended): 23 July, 2013=20 Camera-Ready Papers Due & Registration Deadline (extended): 6 August, 2013= =20 WCECS 2013: San Francisco, USA, 23-25 October, 2013 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2013 The WCECS 2013 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (= IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the co= mputer scientists. The congress has the focus on the frontier topics in the= theoretical and appl...

Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The World Congress on Engineering WCE 2014
Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The World Congress on Engineering WCE 2014 From: International Association of Engineers (IAENG) Draft Paper Submission Deadline (extended): 14 March, 2014 Camera-Ready papers & Registration Deadline: 31 March, 2014 WCE 2014: London, U.K., 2-4 July, 2014 http://www.iaeng.org/WCE2014 The WCE 2014 is organized by International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. The congress has the focus on the frontier topics in the theoretical and applied engineering and...

[News] Review of Linux Development, OpenSolaris 2008.11

[News] EDN: "Linux has a bright future in the mobile phone industry"
EDN highlights Linux's success in phones ,----[ Quote ] | Linux powered about a quarter of all "feature phones" shipped in | 2005, according to market analysts cited by Webb. Linux grew | fastest in Asia, in phones from NEC, Panasonic, and Motorola, | he notes. Meanwhile, mobile subscribers worldwide are expected | to grow from 100 million to about 350 million, thanks largely to | cellular rollouts in India, he says. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3014094216.html ...