Reminder: Common Lisp Weekly News

Weekly news are published for several programming language communities.
Since december 2008 there are weekly news collected for (Common) Lisp:

  http://lispnews.wordpress.com/

Quoted from the website:

  LispNews.wordpress.com�� a weekly newspost and newsletter
  dedicated to the recent developments in the Common Lisp community.

   *	If you know something that you think would interest the rest of the community,
   *	If you would like to announce a software release,
   *	Or anything else Common Lisp related,

  Then drop me a mail (reverse '("com" "." "yahoo" "@" "anyakinvictor")).

Those who want to catch up with recent developments without following
newsgroups, mailing lists, webforums, etc. might find it useful.
Remember to send in to the lispified mail address above if you
want to see something mentioned there...

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
0

why Common Lisp is not a lisp
How about, when trying to decide "what is lisp" or to apply "lispp" to some _thing_, we just go very low level and somewhat retro and mostly informal? As a straw-man: a lisp is any language implementation which includes a run time system with some recognizably lispish types (cons pairs, numbers, symbols) having their familiar properties (latent typing, gc-based memory management), and implemented in a recognizably traditional way (or a brilliant new way, worthy of being added to the design space). In the language implemented, programs are expressed in s-exp syntax and th...

Common Lisp Weekly News
http://lispnews.wordpress.com/ Looks like a useful service. Let's see how long it lasts. Make sure you send a message to (reverse '("com" "." "yahoo" "@" "anyakinvictor")) of everything newsworthy you want to see there. -- http://lispm.dyndns.org/ ...

To LISP or not to LISP?
I know there have always been tons of posts on game AI boards asking about LISP, what it is, and if it's used in commercial games. Given that LISP is used in few commercial games, is it worth becoming fluent in anyway? I am considering persuing it for two reasons: A.) It is used in academic papers. Being fluent in LISP allows a person to stay on top of the latest developments in AI. B.) It can be embedded into game engines. I heard that Halo uses an embedded LISP-like language for AI. Could embedded LISP-style languages benificial in the long run? I've been reading through LISP by Winston & Horn in my free time for the past year, and I have to say that while I'm familiar with many of LISP's features, when it comes to coding in LISP, I have the speed and effectiveness of a slug. What's with this language? There are too many parentheses and stuff. I really like the transparency of lists in LISP, and have researched the benefits of functional programming, but I'm still not convinced that I can code anything in LISP with more ease than I could in C++. Should I persue LISP until I am fluent in it? Any advice? Kevin Clancy wrote: > I know there have always been tons of posts on game AI boards asking about > LISP, what it is, and if it's used in commercial games. > > Given that LISP is used in few commercial games, is it worth becoming fluent > in anyway? > > I am considering persuing it ...

Why Common Lisp is not a Lisp, continued
[I am picking up this thread again that came to a rest some time ago. I am doing this because it took me relatively long to dig out an article referenced in the posting below.] [I know that such topics are likely to ignite heated discussions between Common Lispniks and Schemers, and some find them practically irrelevant. But, heck, I am interested in these things, and I don't know where else to discuss them. ;) ] > From: Rainer Joswig <joswig@lispmachine.de> > Subject: Re: why Common Lisp is not a lisp > Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:01:48 +0200 > Message-ID: <joswi...

Lisp vs. Common Lisp
I'm deeply interested in Lisp. I'm learning it through Peter Seibel's PCL. One comment I find a lot when people talk about Lisp is that Lisp is wonderful, but CL has a lot of problems (problems I cannot understand due to my newbieness). Now, I don't want to learn the wrong Lisp. What do people mean by Lisp in this context? Is it Lisp 1, Lisp 1.5, the particular dialect they used and fall in love with? If this unidentified Lisp is so great, why don't they use it and avoid all the pitfalls of CL? On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:36:50 -0700, Simon wrote: > I'm...

Emacs Lisp & Common Lisp
A question: If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I going to damage my understanding of either in some way? "Paul Lange" <plange@gmail.com> writes: > A question: > > If I try to learn Emacs Lisp while also learning Common Lisp, am I > going to damage my understanding of either in some way? Depends whether you can keep them separate in your mind. If you can, observing the differences should be educational. But if not, you'll possibly waste some time discovering the differences the hard way, namely having your programs not work in o...

Updates to the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net
Hi all, I'm pretty new to lisp and found the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net (http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html) a pretty good resource to start with. Is there a plan to update it? From the text it appears that the last update was in December last year. It the time ripe for an update? It helped me a get quick perspective on lisp options. -- Sid On 24/12/2009 06:19, Siddharth H wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm pretty new to lisp and found the Lisp Survey on common-lisp.net > (http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html) a pretty good resource > to st...

Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp
=E3=80=88Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp=E3=80=89 http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/elisp_common_lisp_in_emacs.html probably of interest to many of you. plain text version follows. --------------------------------------------- [1]Emacs Lisp Tutorial Controversy of Common Lisp Package in Emacs Lisp Xah Lee, 2012-06-13 For you emacs lisp coders, there's controversy in using the cl package (require 'cl). This page is my introduction about the issue, with opinions from emacs developers. First, here's what the official manual (info ...

named parameters in Common Lisp or Scheme Lisp
emacs lisp does not have named parameters. This is a practical pain. Can anyone tell me how Common Lisp or Scheme Lisp solve this problem? In particular, in CL or SL: =E2=80=A2 does it support named parameter? =E2=80=A2 if it supports named parameter, can the programer choose to make = the parameter a required argument, or is it always optional? =E2=80=A2 what's the syntaxt for it? =E2=80=A2 when it is optional, how to set default value? (or what's the syntax) Thanks. Xah =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/ =E2=98=84 "xahlee@gmail.com" <xahlee@gmail.com> writes: &...

Core foundation of Common Lisp (not pure Lisp)
Last night I had a difficult time falling asleep (getting myself back on schedule from the late nights surrounding the holidays) and was thinking. In most Forth systems, very little of the actual language is written in assembly. Most of it is written in Forth. This, of course, is true for Lisp as well. My curiosity is in how much of a (typical, ie commercial) Lisp system is actually written in Lisp. Now, let me be more specific. I do not mean the compiler or IDE - these are of course written in Lisp. I mean to say just the ANSI spec. How much of the spec (%) is just macros around what might b...

Program which converts Common Lisp into a LISP1 Lisp
Lisp1 is an ANSI Common Lisp program I wrote that makes Common Lisp systems operate as LISP1 Lisp dialects with virtually no overhead. LISP1 means that functions are treated just like variable values. They can be assigned to, passed around, and localized just like variables. No special functions or added complexity is needed. (Scheme is a LISP1 Lisp.) The underlying lisp compiler and saving of lisp images and executables is retained. It has been tested with CLISP and SBCL. Get it at: http://blake.mcbride.name Blake McBride blake@mcbride.name Blake McBride wrote: > > Lisp1...

Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version?
Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version? I heard this at a seminar, so just checking. Unless one includes the platforms Emacs runs on with its embedded Lisp. -- Regards, Casey Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME@istar.ca> writes: > Is Allegro Common Lisp the most portable commercial version and Steel > Bank Common Lisp (SBCL) the most portable free version? CLisp is more portable than SBCL. Likewise I think ECL supports more platforms. It is my understanding that SBCL requires fairly intimate ...

Common Lisp on TV (for weeks)
On air... For Your Information: As some of the #lisp people on irc.freenode.net knows I'm (together with two geek friends from fazlamesai.net) producing a technology program called Fazla Mesai on a Turkish TV: http://www.teknolojitelevizyonu.com which broadcasts over cable and sattelite (including the whole Europe). It is seldom that we don't mention Lisp this way or the other on every Wednesday evening between 21:30 - 22:40. Whenever possible we try to show something related to Lisp, audiovisually. This means... yes, videos. What have we done until now? Well, we talked about ...

Scope of COMMON LISP vs. EMACS LISP problem
Why does the following work in emacs lisp but not in common lisp? (let ((A '(AA BB CC)) (B '(car A))) (eval B)) And how would I make it work in common lisp? Thanks for any help on this. On 21/02/2011 18:03, sebs wrote: > Why does the following work in emacs lisp but not in common lisp? > > (let ((A '(AA BB CC)) > (B '(car A))) > (eval B)) > > And how would I make it work in common lisp? > > Thanks for any help on this. Common Lisp is by default lexically scoped, whereas Emacs Lisp is dynamically scoped. E...

Common Lisp Directory news
The development of the Common Lisp Directory is going on. As I have several real work projects to finish, I can't spend as much time as I would like on this project, but it is progressing anyway and I hope to be able to put the new version online next week. The Common Lisp Directory is here: http://www.cl-user.net (Thanks to Arthur Lemmens for this cool name ;-) So far the categorization system is finished and I'm adding the following objects to the directory. -implementations -libraries -persons -html-documents -external-documents -organizations -events ...

State of Lisp Documentation, mostly the Common Lisp Cookbook
Hi, I am wondering why new Lisp documentation is not being created.The Lisp Cookbook seems to be half finished project that was abandoned years ago. I have managed to improve readability of the CLTL by writing a Greasmonkey script, but in general it seems like lots of online resources were created before CSS was invented. I can understand that the standard was set in stone years ago so the documentation is not out of date. But I wonder why nothing seems to be done to make the documentation more friendly to newbies like me. Documentation written for other languages seems t...

Non-Lisp like DSL implemented in Common Lisp
Dear Lispers, I come to you with a question about how to "implement" languages (general purpose or domain specifc) in Common Lisp. All the examples I have seen so far (or read of), essentially create new languages by extending the Common Lisp language, as if creating new macros and functions. So essentially the newly created language resembles Lisp in its syntax, i.e., full of parentheses. What comes to memory right now is, of course, Common Lisp itself, aswell as the initial bootstrap of the T system, and Rainer Joswig's recent examples. What I am curious is how to go a bit...

Which lisp for a (lisp) novice?
I'd like to learn lisp but I'm confused with the many variants I'm finding. What would you recommend for an experienced programmer in other languages (mainly C and perl), wanting to learn lisp? Should be a well documented lisp and working in Mac OS and main UNIXes (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, ...) I've found and enjoyed the "Practical Common Lisp" book, mainly because it starts with realistic examples, not the car/cdr/lists I had found in the past that lead me to the wrong conclusion that lisp was "only" good at processing abstract lists and could do nothin...

I wish there was a livejournal in lisp. A meetup.com a lisp craigslist. A lisp drudgereport. A lisp forum like this. so I had more things to point at and say hey that is lisp powered.. may
I wish there was a livejournal in lisp. A meetup.com a lisp craigslist. A lisp drudgereport. A lisp forum like this. so I had more things to point at and say hey that is lisp powered.. maybe a lisp cpan with vote up your favorite project in various categories. ...

Common Lisp Music / Lisp In A Box / Slime / Windows XP
Hi, I am trying to get Common Lisp Music working by loading it into Lisp In A Box (or is it Lisp Box?). First off, has anyone out there gotten CLM or CM (common music) to work on a PC at all (NOT including linux emulators like CYGWIN!)??? If so let me know! How and which version of lisp. Secondly, if anyone could be so kind as to take a look at my error message and point me in the right direction. I have programmed some NLP applications in Lisp but really my knowledge of it is newbie level. Here are the LispBox buffers: ; SLIME: The Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs CL-USER> ...

For Common Lisp library developers
If your Common Lisp library is included into Quicklisp, you may found status of your library on various CL implementations on this page: http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/library/ =D0=B2=D0=BE=D1=81=D0=BA=D1=80=D0=B5=D1=81=D0=B5=D0=BD=D1=8C=D0=B5, 21 =D0= =BE=D0=BA=D1=82=D1=8F=D0=B1=D1=80=D1=8F 2012=C2=A0=D0=B3., 5:22:05 UTC+4 = =D0=BF=D0=BE=D0=BB=D1=8C=D0=B7=D0=BE=D0=B2=D0=B0=D1=82=D0=B5=D0=BB=D1=8C av= odo...@gmail.com =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB: > If your Common Lisp library is included into Quicklisp, you may found sta= tus of your library on various CL ...

Re: Bison/Yacc for Common Lisp? + Lisp case performance
bbr...@speakeasy.net (Robert E. Brown) said, a long time ago (23 Feb 2004) Original in http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/ ee4264318ae30875/2a849cd76cb3a94e#2a849cd76cb3a94e > Bison does not currently have a Common Lisp backend. I've talked to the > maintainers of Bison and they're interested in supporting other > languages, but nothing much has happened beyond C, C++ and maybe a bit > of Java. Bison's M4 backend will have to be changed a lot before > languages that don't look like C can be supported. > > However, I'v...

Lisp Job: Common Lisp Bioinformatics Programmer @ SRI International
Common Lisp Bioinformatics Programmer CA - Menlo Park, Headquarters Non-SRI Employees click on this link to view and apply for this job: https://careers.sri.com/psp/ps/CAREERS/CAREERS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=100474&SiteId=2&PostingSeq=1 or http://tinyurl.com/y9xpgq9 Ignore the message on Indeed.com, as linked to from the LispJobs blog. This position is indeed still open. Thank you. ...

lisp web servers, lisp as a shell, lisp using rdbms or not
1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache? araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache? 2 I saw lisp on lines is kinda alpha 3 uncomon web seems cool but also wants to sit behind apache 4 common lisp as a shell is really doible? anyone do this? 5 for large apps is using a rdbms unavoidable? 6 does lisp support or mapping or persisten db conneciton pooling and cacheing? gavino wrote: > 1 I saw the webserver huchentoot seems to want to sit behind apache? > araneida seesm to also? Why do they depend on apache? I can't comment on those particula...

Web resources about - Reminder: Common Lisp Weekly News - comp.lang.lisp