SLIME question for Mac OS X 10.6.4

I've run slime successfully with sbcl on OS X for several years now,
but since I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Duo, I had to recompile sbcl
and slime and re-install both.

As of last friday, sbcl no longer plays well with slime.

I compiled sbcl 1.0.43 from source and installed it in /usr/local/bin.

It works fine from the command line.

But when invoking sbcl from within slime in emacs, I get the following
compilation error:

BEGIN ERROR

; file: /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp
; in: EVAL-WHEN (:COMPILE-TOPLEVEL :LOAD-TOPLEVEL :EXECUTE)
;     (REQUIRE 'SWANK-BACKEND::SB-POSIX)
;
; caught ERROR:
;   (during compile-time-too processing)
;   Don't know how to REQUIRE SB-POSIX.
;   See also:
;     The SBCL Manual, Variable SB-EXT:*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*
;     The SBCL Manual, Function REQUIRE
;
; compilation unit aborted
;   caught 1 fatal ERROR condition
;   caught 1 ERROR condition
;
; compilation aborted because of fatal error:
;   SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 1839 (line 62, column 18) on
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM
;
for "file /opt/local/share\
/emacs/site-lisp/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp"
;
{1002C154C1}>:
;     package "SB-POSIX" not found
;   ; compilation aborted after 0:00:02.421

;;
;; Error while compiling /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/swank-
sbcl.lisp:
;;   COMPILE-FILE returned NIL.
;; Aborting.

END ERROR

Now I should mention that I installed slime via MacPorts, and it is
located in:

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/lang/
slime

Slime works perfectly, it runs my other variants of lisp (clisp, ccl,
ecl, etc...) fine.

0
piscesboy
10/17/2010 5:08:20 PM
comp.lang.lisp 16861 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

On 10/17/10 7:08 PM, piscesboy wrote:
> I've run slime successfully with sbcl on OS X for several years now,
> but since I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Duo, I had to recompile sbcl
> and slime and re-install both.
>
> As of last friday, sbcl no longer plays well with slime.
>
> I compiled sbcl 1.0.43 from source and installed it in /usr/local/bin.

[�]

> Now I should mention that I installed slime via MacPorts, and it is
> located in:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/lang/
> slime
>
> Slime works perfectly, it runs my other variants of lisp (clisp, ccl,
> ecl, etc...) fine.

I maintain SBCL and SLIME for MacPorts, and had tested that sbcl-1.0.43
works with slime-20100928.  Any reason you didn't use SBCL from MacPorts
as well?

It seems that your install of SBCL is incomplete with problems having
been encountered in building the SB-POSIX contribution [as described on
launchpad bug 421779][1].  Interestingly, the claim is that this was
fixed with sbcl-1.0.43.  I would suggest you go over the output of your
SBCL compile in more detail to see if this is still failing.  Or try the
MacPorts install which will keep the log for you.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbcl/+bug/421779

is nothing to compare to it now."
0
Mark