misc: a wiki...

well, I have a wiki here:
http://cr88192.dyndns.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

basically, if anyone wants to add contents, say WRT mentioning ones' own
projects, or expanding out general technical topics (preferably in a
Wikipedia-like manner), this could be cool, provided people remain
civilized (please, no spamming or editing large numbers of pages to
point ones' pet-projects, ...).

relevant topics:
languages and language design;
compiler and VM implementation strategies.

ideally, where possible, topics should remain implementation agnostic
(as in, one can talk about how a given feature may be implemented or its
relation to other features, but to be avoided is to have general topics
defined primarily in terms of a particular VM implementation or
language). information about specific implementations thus better
belongs in articles dedicated to them.

note that this is technically my personal wiki, rather than a community
wiki per-se, and it is running on a laptop sitting in my house, so no
guarantees how long it will remain up. also, I am exempt from the rules
above (since it is my personal wiki, I can link to my own stuff if and
whenever I want to, although I may refrain from this partly as a matter
of being in good taste...).

I just sort of put it up last month, mostly as I went and downloaded
MediaWiki and put it on my server.

I am not sure what ever happened to the whole "comp.lang.misc wiki"
thing, as I haven't heard much about it in a while.

last I am aware: several test sites were set up. was any particular site
chosen, or any interesting contents added?...

other misc status update (BGBScript):
BGBScript now has computed goto, and several other misc features;
I have added the ability to save out bytecode to files, and to reload
bytecode from files (mostly untested), rather than always having to
recompile from source (I may be nearing the point of having a
"canonical" external bytecode format);
one can now type hex numbers like "0x12345678_90ABCDEF" or
"0x1234_5678_90AB_CDEF" (the underscores are ignored).

I have mostly settled on ActionScript style declarations as the "proper"
style for the language.

overview bytecode format:
bytecode files are lists of lumps, each lump taking the form:
{
UVLI typeIndex;		//lump index for typeID
UVLI size;		//size of payload
byte data[size];	//payload
}

index-0 is not encoded in the file, and is reserved for the magic value
NULL. index-1 is the first entry in the file, and represents the "root"
of the file (headers/... would go here). types are lumps holding
strings, and in this format have the type "_symbol_t" (which has itself
as its type). most types name their in-memory type-names (type names are
magic values). currently, all values are lumps (values are generally not
encoded inline, but each value is simply a VLI for its lump index).

there is presently no structural nesting.

the format is also usable as a plain data-serialization format.
the flat list format seemed preferable in my mind to either a
hierarchical TLV format or an opcode-driven format.

or such...
0
cr88192355 (1928)
7/4/2011 8:39:26 AM
comp.lang.misc 1780 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

misc
I'm Graham Goodkin. I"m a skinhead and hate all minorities. My wife Laura Chittick is from the south and introduced me to the KKK. I'm a former Bear Stearns VP. ...

misc
I'm Graham Goodkin. I"m a skinhead and hate all minorities. My wife Laura Chittick is from the south and introduced me to the KKK. I'm a former Bear Stearns VP. ...

misc
> laura.biding@ntlworld.com laura.biding@ntlworld.com <laura.biding@ntlworld.com> wrote: >> > laura.biding@ntlworld.com has been plonked. -- Tad McClellan SGML consulting tadmc@augustmail.com Perl programming Fort Worth, Texas ...

Misc
Fruitfull the misc these days... -- Ive i_b_ wrote: > Fruitfull the misc these days... > > -- Ive Do you have some oddball script that was written by a dead 60's era hipster such as Timothy Leary that spams all of these oddball posts everywhere? I'm going to have to add another hard disk just to store your message headers... (*> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:15:30 -0500, Hawk <taoHawk2003@yahoo.com> wrote: >Do you have some oddball script that was written by a dead 60's era >hipster such as Timothy Leary that spams all of these od...

misc
b.terry@gmx.com ...

misc
Hello, How to get W3 to work ? (loading the page, at least the source, not complaining about html-string-caracter errors) How to get xemacs work ON msdos, not on windows or linux. (the link from the documentation page show me nothing, and there is nothing on this group) Why the self documented project turned to such a mess ? flame me, i just loose my nerves L. "Laurent Herve" <laurent.herve23@libertysurf.fr> writes: > Hello, > > How to get W3 to work ? (loading the > page, at least the source, not complaining > about html-string-cara...

Misc.
Some answers to questions posted recently and comments. We are working on gcc, but it is not ready yet. It is not as portable as one might like. It will not compile MINIX itself due to differences in assembly language. object module format, linker, etc., but will be available for compiling application programs. MS Visual C? I very uch doubt it. Comment on GPL: The GPL license states that aggregating GPL'ed software with nonGPL software does not convert the other software to GPL. Thus we can aggregate GPL'ed software in MINIX without changing MINIX' own license. For this and oth...

TCPIP USB MISC LIKE GPIB MISC
I used to use GPIB misc a lot to send code through GPIB after VISA is closed to set instrument to local, etc. Now I am try to control the instrument through USB and TCPIP, it seems there is no corresponding MISC VI for USB and TCPIP such as GPIB MISC. Is there any way to do 'loc' function under TCPIP/USB connection after VISA is closed? Hello Qualcomm, &nbsp; From my understanding of your situation, you can have a similar functionality by using a property node to check the status of the device from the VISA palette.&nbsp;&nbsp;By&nbsp;using the&nbsp;property node&a...

misc: lang effort, performance
well, yesterday, I was able to tune the speed of my vm (a very small set of examples, but I figure them at least an ok to test the effectiveness of core aspects of the vm): int fib(int x)if(x>2)fib(x-1)+fib(x-2) else 1; then again, other code would probably run faster or slower, but this is a guesstimate. I added a define that allowed me to enable/disable ref counting to see what would happen. disabling ref counting causes most of the run-time to shift over to the vm step (and a few closely related functions), implying that the only real way to get that much more in this case wou...

misc new lang: bggl3
I am presently writing an interpreter for a new scripting language (largely implemented now, though this is still the early stages). this one exists in contrast to some of my previous ones in terms of design goals and similar. purposes: working with geometry (eg: parametric construction, ...) and also serving as a tolerable calculator language; work as some kind of replacement for bggl2 (my last lang in this area was based on postscript, which proved, unpleasant...); .... as a result, the implementation does not need to be fast (parse trees are interpreted directly at present); nor do...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #2
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #3
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhorse86 ...

misc, refocus: new possible lang idea, BSC
this is a misc and hypothetical idea: IMO all this is unlikely to move much beyond a personal effort. well, I have been beating together a C compiler, and also ended up thinking some about my script lang, integration, ... in this, I have come up with a new possible idea: I don't fully implement C, per se, but technically a different language that just happens to be mostly backwards compatible and can link directly with C (and the existing C runtime, another goal). so, the name BSC will mean BGB-Script/C, or a kind of hybrid (my current script lang is called BGB-Script, and sort of...

misc thing (my lang): vm handling of external objects
oh well, not much traffic recently anyways. just figured someone might have something interesting to say... so, recently (in the process of integrating my newer vm back into my main codebase), I have had to deal with a problem: objects need to be shared, but the memory management systems are completely different. as such: it isn't possible to pass around external references inside the vm; it isn't really possible to (safely) pass vm references around outside the vm (it is rather anal, with ref-counting, precise collection, marking/coloring, and roots registration, among other th...

Hello,Where is declared the "end" var present in arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c ? In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c a var "end" is declared : extern int end; I'd like to kno
Hello, In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c a var "end" is declared : extern int end; I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern, I guess it should be declared in another file, but I can't find which one. I've tried, in source tree, find . -name "*.o" -exec nm {} \; > nm.txt then I looked in the generated file, but can't find the "end" var ... If you have an idea ... Thanks Yann yannouch wrote: > Hello, > > In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c > a var "end" is declared : > > extern int end; > > I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern, I guess > it should be declared in another file, but I can't find which one. > > I've tried, in source tree, > > find . -name "*.o" -exec nm {} \; > nm.txt > > then I looked in the generated file, but can't find the "end" var ... > > If you have an idea ... > It is also possible to declare externals in a linker script. Have a look at the file vmlinux.lds.in in the same directory. For the linker behaviour see the GNU binutils documentation. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi yannouch wrote: > Hello, > > In the file arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c > a var "end" is declared : > > extern int end; > > I'd like to know where this var comes from. Since it's extern,...

HP49G+ Misc.
I know its still early to find out information on this calculator, but I was wondering if anyone knows which particular ARM9 processor HP is using in the 49G+? I went to www.arm.com and they have several different ARM9 cpus. Doug ...

misc: any point to this?
I am new here, so I don't know how this group does things... not too long ago (about the end of 2005) for my own uses I went and wrote a 3d animation program. all in all it works ok (does what I need, eg, basic animating tasks). note, it is not online, but my intent is to make it available (well, with most of my other stuff) under the gpl at some point (problem: it just takes too long to upload stuff to sourceforge, and my projects tend to get large enough to make this unmanagable...). note: most of my code is plain c. I did venture into c++ land a few times, but had...

misc: MPEG...
well, as I have discovered, the MPEG1 spec (ITU-T H.262-2000) is freely available. this is cool in any case. was reading over this beast... looks like a hassle to implement... actually, once again (like JPEG), the decoder looks like a lot more work than the encoder. lots of options. some of the complexity of JPEG is removed, and new complexity is added. oh well, luckily in this case, I was more intending on an encoder, and if I really wanted to be lazy, I could just emit pure I-frames (in effect, using it as a crappy replacement for my current MJPEG AVI output). with a decoder, it is...

Misc manuals
More from my friends pile: Apple II ProDOS User's Manual (1983) - slightly ragged on the corners. Apple II BASIC Programming Manual (1978) - good condition - 2 each. Disk Operating System Instructional and Reference Manual DOS 3.2 version (1979) - good condition. Like the other items, if there is any interest, I'll pass it on to my friend. ...

Misc FS
I have some things I'd like to clear out. Decipher my email if interested. Prices quoted for US shipping. 3*4.3GB 10k RPM SCA 80-pin SCSI-3 Hard drives - $11 shipped for the lot IBM ServerGuide 3.1 - $7 shipped Master View/Aten CS-106 KVM, 6 AT consoles and 3 sets of adapters for PS/2 keyboard/mouse. Tested with 8595, S720 and 77 - $10 shipped Kevin Bowling wrote: > > 3*4.3GB 10k RPM SCA 80-pin SCSI-3 Hard drives - $11 shipped for the lot > IBM ServerGuide 3.1 - $7 shipped The KVM has been claimed. Drop the HD price to $8 shipped, and the ServerGuide to $5. Kevin Bowling wrote: > IBM ServerGuide 3.1 - $5 shipped No more drives. Hi Kev... "Kevin Bowling" <kevin.bowling.no.spam@removenospam.wans.net> wrote in message news:EjULe.807$sw6.699@fed1read05... > Kevin Bowling wrote: > > > > 3*4.3GB 10k RPM SCA 80-pin SCSI-3 Hard drives - $11 shipped for the lot > > IBM ServerGuide 3.1 - $7 shipped > The KVM has been claimed. Drop the HD price to $8 shipped, and the > ServerGuide to $5. Are the drives actual SCA-80 interface and in RAID Type-3 trays? I have 3 of the drives in SCA-80 to Type-3 backplane Type-3 trays, myself. V. nice quiet drive. DDRS-33430 or something like that. -- Regards, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) Kevin Bowling wrote: > Kevin Bowling wrote: > >> IBM ServerGuide 3.1 - $5 shipped No more ServerGuide. Thanks...

csa.misc
*plonk* 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it. Peter On Mon, 12 May 2008 04:02:14 -0700, Peter Howkins wrote: > *plonk* > > 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it. Are you referring to the whole, or a specific subset? ;-) B. In article <0c3b3ac0-0bea-4b62-a6b0-a8361074c46a@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Peter Howkins <marutan@gmail.com> wrote: > *plonk* > 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it. Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:- ...

Misc questions
For the IBM compilers, can XN and XU constants contain a period (Hex/Decimal Point) to indicate a scaling factor? I don't have a PL/I compiler to test this and the documentation is unclear to me. Also, the manuals refer to "?" as a macro trigger character, but I can find no other information about this. Is there any real use of the "?" character in PL/I, other than in a character string constant? Finally, the PL1 list at Dartmouth appears to be dead. Does anyone have any information about this? Are there any other active lists? Thanks. zzq wrote: > For ...

sun.misc
Ok, I have this applet that uses the UUDecoder class in sun.misc. Unfortunately, I think one of my computers doesn't have this package installed, so the applet doesn't work on it - it messes up right before instantiating a UUDecoder object. Anyhow, how do I make the applet compatible with computers that don't have sun.misc installed <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:06dfb6a61f65a809e4e8800eb6fa2910@news.scbiz.com... > Ok, I have this applet that uses the UUDecoder class in > sun.misc. Unfortunately, I think one of my computers > doesn't ...

Web resources about - misc: a wiki... - comp.lang.misc