Steve
0
Stephen
9/18/2009 6:36:07 AM
comp.lang.pascal.borland 1078 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2009-09-18, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No idea.

> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I download
> the installable from somewhere?

The similar product borland pascal allows all disks to be thrown in one
directory, and install from there.

Afaik these products are still payware, and not free.
0
Marco
9/18/2009 1:02:17 PM
In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>right?
>
>Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>download the installable from somewhere?

When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
anything not part of the core product.

My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.

My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.

It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
the 10 BP7 discs.

Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
64-bit.

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.

0
Franz
9/21/2009 7:28:08 PM
Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been
worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into
one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple
diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the
destination folder. For example, say there was a very important
installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the
same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that
would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in
numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the
installation requires.

Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons
should avoid this problem. Thanks.

As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit
machine. But I will need to check.

Steve.

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
> tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
> <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>> right?
>>
>> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>> download the installable from somewhere?
>

> When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
> source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
> discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
> anything not part of the core product.
>
> My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.
>
> My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
> with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.
>
> It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
> the 10 BP7 discs.
>
> Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
> command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
> 64-bit.

0
Stephen
9/22/2009 1:26:43 AM
In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <1skfb5pb7kpaifr2c4c0nk185ljqsau41o@
4ax.com>, Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:28:08, Franz-Leo Chomse <franz-
leo.chomse@samac.de> posted:
>On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07 +1000, Stephen Geard
><sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?
>
>No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
>programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.

Page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista> knows that Vista comes in
32-bit & 64-bit versions.  You should read it and the Wiki pages to
which it links.

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
Dr
9/22/2009 4:12:05 PM
On 2009-09-22, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been
> worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into
> one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple
> diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the
> destination folder. For example, say there was a very important
> installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the
> same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that
> would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in
> numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the
> installation requires.

Correct, but that is easily to detect. Just copy to separate dirs, and then
copy them into one major dir, and see if you get duplicate files warnings.

> Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons
> should avoid this problem. Thanks.

IIRC the said 11th disk of BP also had an own install.exe Difference between
BP and BP with objects?

> As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit
> machine. But I will need to check.

Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
still. A free version of Delphi, or Free Pascal might be a good alternative
to have a look at, depending on requirements.

IIRC Vista/Windows7 also limit the amount of DPMI memory for use to 32MB
(was 64MB in XP), though I don't know if that applies to win 3.1x binaries.
0
Marco
9/26/2009 1:29:26 PM
On Sep 26, 2:29=A0pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:

> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several ye=
ars
> still.

I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
that.

A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring; if he has a
machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi command-line
compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in Vista and
maybe Windows 7.

And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
could be composed within this newsgroup?

--
  (c) John Stockton, near London, UK.  Using Google, no spell-check.
 Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org or (better) via Home Page at

0
Dr
9/26/2009 8:29:35 PM
On 2009-09-26, Dr J R Stockton <J.R.Stockton@physics.org> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2:29�pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:
>

>> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
>> still.
>
> I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
> always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
> that.

Correct. The CPU only does two modi. In x86 mode it does 32-bit and can
run 16-bit code, in x64 mode it runns 64-bit code and can run 32-bit code.

> A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
> the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring;

Sure. And those who can't can use dosbox.

The problem is that you can't use what you make on a typical system anymore.

> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
> Vista and maybe Windows 7.

There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

> And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.

> I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
> could be composed within this newsgroup?

I'd add the delphi groups too, and make a clear tutorial about what Pascal
products are freely available from Borland/Codegear/Embarcadero, and what it
can do and not.

0
Marco
9/28/2009 2:51:47 PM
On 2009-09-28, Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl> wrote:
>> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
>> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
>> Vista and maybe Windows 7.
>
> There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
> Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
> Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

I just heard that you can't download Turbo Explorer 2006 from Embarcadero
anymore. It is still available from 3rd party sites.

Embarcadero now only seems to have trial versions (30 days iirc) of the most
recent version.
0
Marco

to install OpenOffice-1.1.4 ?
Running FreeBSD-5.3, I have downloaded OpenOffice 1.1.4. The stub in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice1.1 is for OpenOffice-1.1.2. Not wanting to scatter OpenOffice debris all over my HD, can I uncompress the OpenOffice-1.1.4 files and manually install them ? If yes, how and where should this be done ? Thank you, Courtney On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:58:30 -0500 Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@joimail.com> wrote: > Running FreeBSD-5.3, I have downloaded OpenOffice 1.1.4. > > The stub in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice1.1 is for OpenOffice-1.1.2. Update your ports tre...

looking for TML Pascal for MPW IIgs 1.0
In my quest to assemble the System 601 sources it appears that this package= is what is missing. Sources for the Advanced Disk Utility specifically men= tion TML Pascal. This is the MPW IIGS TML Pascal, not TML Pascal for the II= GS or Mac. Googling this shows others who have searched for it come up with= dead ends. I'm posting here as a long shot that someone might know of a co= py but I think it's an extinct item. I see Apple IIGS TML Pascal evolved to= Complete Pascal and I may try to convert / compile with it on a IIgs but n= o promises... Larry Good luck! On 07/31...

FAQ 7.14 How can I pass/return a {Function, FileHandle, Array, Hash, Method, Regex}? #5
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq7.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 7.14: How can I pass/return a {Function, FileHandle, Array, Hash, Method, Regex}? With the exception of regexes, you need to pass references to these objects. See "Pass by Reference" in perlsub for this pa...

Windows Magazines Auction of Pain
I was recently in a magazine store, looking at the Mac magazines and Windows magazines. I couldn't help but notice that while the Mac magazines wanted to show you all the nifty things you can do with a Mac, the Windows magazines mostly offered to help you fix problems. There seemed to be an odd "bidding war" going on between the Windows magazines: "Fixes 30 major problems" "Fixes 44 of the most common problems" "Over 50 problems solved." "Answers over 500 questions." I bought one from England that says it's the Official MS Windo...

Clarion 5.0B and Windows XP
I've recently upgraded to Win XP and now Clarion 5.0B (which until now has been performing well) refuses to act the way it should. I saw something on Softvelocity's site about a new DLL driver for XP and downloaded it, but it made no difference. --I can not format a screen with the CTRL-F; --I can't view an APP file; --I can compile with a PRJ but can not see it on screen. Any ideas what is going on here....and how to fix it? I know...there are new versions of Clarion but I'm trying to stick with 5.0 as long as possible. If it is a case of "You can't get there fro...

IssueBridge 3.1 GA Released
IssueBridge 3.1 GA Released For Issue Tracking and Defect Tracking IssueBridge is a project management tool that improves the productivity of your project team by allowing project management staff and team members to access and delegate all of the issues within a project. This user friendly and web based software product serves as an issue tracking and defect tracking system. It enables your team to make clear each step needed to meet the overall goal of the project. IssueBridge Version 3.1 GA was released on Tuesday 12/14/2004 and includes a totally new look and feel along with a...

Problem re MATLAB=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=AE?= Builder for Exce!!! #2
Please help! I downloaded the latest release for Matlab R14SP1, MATLAB Builder for Excel 1.2.3 and Compiler version 4.1.1 and installed. I followed the exact procedures in the tutorial but failed to produce anything except the error message such as following: Erro using==>copyfile. Cannot find the source file or directory specified. I can't figure out what went wrong and desperately need help. Is it a bug? The following is what I have got in the Build Status window (right hand side)of the Builder using the provided example from Matlab in verbose mode. I also checked "Build debu...

luafox 1.30 available now
luafox 1.30 is available now. It includes the following new features: - Import data from files in the new MS Excel format .xlsx - Batch import of CSV files - Two new statistical functions: Skewness and Kurtosis The new version of luafox is able to import data from files in the new MS Excel format. luafox is currently the only RISC OS application which can view files of this format. Support for common new file formats is important for the future of RISC OS. Another new feature also cares about importing files. The new batch import function helps you to extract the information you need from a...

Turbo IDE
I'm looking for a Turbo IDE board by SHH Systeme... If anyone has one they're willing to part with... I would also be interested in one of those Compact Flash adapter boards, if anyone has one they are willing to part with. Thanks, Jason <JGAndersen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1117828054.550063.90310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... : I'm looking for a Turbo IDE board by SHH Systeme... If anyone has one : they're willing to part with... : : I would also be interested in one of those Compact Flash adapter : boards, if anyone has one they are wi...

Topmind Challenge #1 (Was: Unix and OO Avoidance)
>Employee Types discussion: >http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/struc.htm We have the following : 1. The basic components relating to the payroll domain. 2. The general payroll algorithm. 3. The payroll schemes relating to Topminds' requirements. 4. The configuration of the payroll system. Comments : - Payroll schemes can be defined independently of the payroll selection scheme (and vice versa) . - The general payroll algorithm is independent of specific payroll schemes and selections. - Payroll schemes/selections can be flexibly and dynamically configured in a live system...

=?windows-1256?B?5MrtzMkgx+HHyMrPx8btySDH4cfS5dHtySAyMDE=?= =?windows-1256?B?MyDj5CDj5t7aIMfh7ebjIMfh08fI2g==?=
5MrtzMkgx+HHyMrPx8btySDH4cfS5dHtySAyMDEzIOPkIOPm3togx+Ht5uMgx+HTx8jaCgpodHRw Oi8vbmF0aWdhYXM3YWIubmV0L3dwLz9wPTkzNg== ...

free traffic #5
Even if your PCs meet the Windows 7 minimum system requirements, there are a variety of other issues to consider with existing software and peripheral =85 http://globalzone4u.com/home/ ...

plain vanilla win32 Pascal compiler?
good day all well, my quest is simple. i am looking for a 32bit Pascal compiler that works on win32 platform. not a Pascal compiler with its primary objective to be a free alternative to Delphi (VCL) or Borlad (turbo vision). in fact i have come to a conclusion that compilers that tend to operate with VCL, fail soner or later to do things right on the platform. i.e. they are not doing things fundamentaly right. if you do something the right way, you would not have to upgrade it every second month to corect the individual errorius instances. out there, there are C compilers built in the time...

Microsoft criticises third party code for Windows crashes
Interesting article if true: http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/security/story/0,2000048600,20277185,00.htm "Microsoft has laid the blame for half of all Windows crashes on third-party code. Scott Charney, chief security strategist at Microsoft, told developers at the TechEd 2003 conference in Brisbane, that information collected by Dr Watson, the company's reporting tool, revealed that "half of all crashes in Windows are caused not by Microsoft code, but third-party code". I wonder if "...crashes in Windows..." refers to Windows itself crashing due to the third...

installing 1.8.4
Hi, I'm using some libraries which only work properly in ruby 1.8.4. I currently have 1.8.5. What's the fastest/least painful way to install 1.8.5? I tried sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.5 but this doesn't work. As you can tell i'm new to ruby/linux/everything. Help would be greatly appreciated!!! --Andrei -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Oops! I meant "what's the fastest way to install 1.8.*4*. I tried sudo apt-get install ruby=1.8.4 but this doesn't work. Again, I'd like to install 1.8.4 and NOT 1.8.5. Andrei Munteanu wrote: > Hi, > >...

Delphi .net question
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of .NET, but: If I develop a Delphi program for .NET, what does the user need to run it? I don't have to include the source, do I (i.e. it makes some sort of executable file) If the program doesn't use the internet, what advantages does .NET have over Win32 (future compatibility, etc)? --- Replace you know what by j to email Jud McCranie wrote: > Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of .NET, but: > > If I develop a Delphi program for .NET, what does the user need to run > it? The .NET runtime environme...

HELP: C/C++ equivalent of dos,crt Pascal units
I am trying to port an old Pascal DOS game to DOS C/C++. I am wondering if anyone is familar with the dos & crt Pascal units and whether there are C/C++ equivalent libraries. Maybe dos.c & crt.c? Below lists names of variables, functions, types & weird interrupt procedures found in Pascal. Am wondering what can be done to get around them for use in C/C++. dos.pas crt.pas ---undefined identifiers--- 'black' 'blue' 'clrscr' 'lightblue' 'lightcyan' 'lightgray' 'lightgreen' 'lightmagenta' 'lightred' 'mem'...

Free LCD Flat Screen Monitor !! 1
Hey- Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE Flat Screens! I've joined and I think you should as well. It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff! All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! Click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser: http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=13722546 ...

wrong values write in to database, if using perl encoding iso 8859-1
hello all, during perl-processing ... false encoded values into the database table ! I use german encoding (latin-1) iso 8859-1 to handle the "umlaute" � � � � .... etc. e.g.: perl -M"encoding=iso 8859-1" more info: perldoc encoding perldoc perlunicode system: os: linux redhat 9.0 sybase version 11.9 sybase language configured into ./sybhome_11.9/locales/locales.dat [linux] locale = default, german, iso_1 locale = de_DE, german, iso_1 perl 5.8.0 i386-linux-thread-multi with DBD-Sybase driver configured while call " DBI->...

Re: OT: Office 2007 installation warning
Deny's I wish you were on TV so I could turn you OFF... Just kidding :-) Joe -------------- Original message from Denys Beauchemin <denys@HOUSTON.RR.COM>: -------------- > Andres, you are very correct. Bad video drivers have been the cause of far more > BSOD and assorted crashes than all other reasons combined, and by a wide margin. > > The reason I counseled Mr. Lalley to run away is that he is not very adept with > hardware. If you have ever heard the story about someone calling in to support > to complain that his coffee cup holder was ...

US-TX-Austin: VLSI Circuit Designer, 5+yrs exp CMOS design, DSP design; DH (45337532405)
US-TX-Austin: VLSI Circuit Designer, 5+yrs exp CMOS design, DSP design; DH (45337532405) ======================================================================================== Position: VLSI Circuit Designer Reference: SMC01756 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: BSEE (MSEE preferred). 5+yrs exp in CMOS custom circuit design. Microprocessor or DSP design experience. Core skills must include high performance custom circuit design and should include experience in one or more of the fo...

Auto Windows Mail Backup 1.1
Auto Windows Mail Backup is a powerful tool designed to be a perfect backup solution for a Vista Windows Mail user. The program enables a user to backup and restore Vista Windows Mail data, including e-mails, settings, rules, accounts, address books, stationeries and much more. With its user-friendly interface, Auto Windows Mail Backup makes it extremely easy to protect important data from hardware crashes and accidental mistakes and to transfer Vista Windows Mail data from one computer to another safely. Auto Windows Mail Backup is aimed to prevent massive data losses in the most e...

ANN: extprot 0.1.1
--=-d+ALNkfzPE3bO37iyjAo Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Sorry if you get this twice, it seems to have gotten lost on its way through python-announce. I'm pleased to announce the first release of the "extprot" python module. Extprot implements a compact, efficient, extensible and language-neutral object serialisation protocol. License: MIT Downloads: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/extprot/ Source code: http://github.com/rfk/extprot/tree/master You can think of extprot as something akin to Google's protocol buffers, ...

Windows switcher needs help with keyboard shortcuts
This is driving me crazy. I'm a keyboard person and try and avoid the mouse as much as possible. I've found out how to do most things in OSX, but can't figure out this: I want the equivelent of shift-ctrl-home / shift-ctrl-end. In windows these will select everything from the cursor to the beginning (or end) of a file. For text, shift-cmd-up_arrow/down_arrow works, as do shift-home/end. If I'm trying to select files (usually pictures in icon-view), I can't get this to work. I go to a folder with dozens of file files displayed. In list mode, shift-option-up_arrow...

a question of macro
Hi, I have codes here: %let path20=K:\SAS_Users\CheckOutPut\&sysdate.; OPTIONS NOXWAIT; DATA _NULL_; LENGTH SUBDIR $ 16; COMMAND="MKDIR &path20."; RC=SYSEXEC(COMMAND); DO SUBDIR='&name.'; COMMAND2=TRIM(COMMAND)||'\'||LEFT(SUBDIR); RC=SYSTEM(COMMAND2); output; END; RUN; option mprint mlogic symbolgen; %macro Check(name); some data steps here. libname Logic "K:\SAS_UsersCheckOutPut\&sysdate.\&name."; %do i=1 %to &fenn.; data logic.err_&name._&i.(keep=ID varCC ); set dset...