the installable from somewhere?

Steve
0
Reply Stephen 9/18/2009 6:36:07 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 2009-09-18, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No idea.

> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I download
> the installable from somewhere?

The similar product borland pascal allows all disks to be thrown in one
directory, and install from there.

Afaik these products are still payware, and not free.
0
Reply Marco 9/18/2009 1:02:17 PM

In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>right?
>
>Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>download the installable from somewhere?

When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
anything not part of the core product.

My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.

My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.

It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
the 10 BP7 discs.

Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
64-bit.

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07 +1000, Stephen Geard
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.

0
Reply Franz 9/21/2009 7:28:08 PM

Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been
worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into
one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple
diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the
destination folder. For example, say there was a very important
installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the
same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that
would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in
numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the
installation requires.

Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons
should avoid this problem. Thanks.

As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit
machine. But I will need to check.

Steve.

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
> tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
> <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>> right?
>>
>> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>> download the installable from somewhere?
>

> When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
> source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
> discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
> anything not part of the core product.
>
> My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.
>
> My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
> with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.
>
> It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
> the 10 BP7 discs.
>
> Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
> command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
> 64-bit.

0
Reply Stephen 9/22/2009 1:26:43 AM

In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <1skfb5pb7kpaifr2c4c0nk185ljqsau41o@
4ax.com>, Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:28:08, Franz-Leo Chomse <franz-
leo.chomse@samac.de> posted:
>On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07 +1000, Stephen Geard
><sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?
>
>No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
>programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.

Page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista> knows that Vista comes in
32-bit & 64-bit versions.  You should read it and the Wiki pages to
which it links.

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
Reply Dr 9/22/2009 4:12:05 PM

On 2009-09-22, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been
> worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into
> one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple
> diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the
> destination folder. For example, say there was a very important
> installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the
> same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that
> would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in
> numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the
> installation requires.

Correct, but that is easily to detect. Just copy to separate dirs, and then
copy them into one major dir, and see if you get duplicate files warnings.

> Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons
> should avoid this problem. Thanks.

IIRC the said 11th disk of BP also had an own install.exe Difference between
BP and BP with objects?

> As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit
> machine. But I will need to check.

Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
still. A free version of Delphi, or Free Pascal might be a good alternative
to have a look at, depending on requirements.

IIRC Vista/Windows7 also limit the amount of DPMI memory for use to 32MB
(was 64MB in XP), though I don't know if that applies to win 3.1x binaries.
0
Reply Marco 9/26/2009 1:29:26 PM

On Sep 26, 2:29=A0pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:

> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several ye=
ars
> still.

I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
that.

A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring; if he has a
machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi command-line
compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in Vista and
maybe Windows 7.

And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
could be composed within this newsgroup?

--
  (c) John Stockton, near London, UK.  Using Google, no spell-check.
 Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org or (better) via Home Page at

0
Reply Dr 9/26/2009 8:29:35 PM

On 2009-09-26, Dr J R Stockton <J.R.Stockton@physics.org> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2:29�pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:
>

>> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
>> still.
>
> I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
> always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
> that.

Correct. The CPU only does two modi. In x86 mode it does 32-bit and can
run 16-bit code, in x64 mode it runns 64-bit code and can run 32-bit code.

> A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
> the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring;

Sure. And those who can't can use dosbox.

The problem is that you can't use what you make on a typical system anymore.

> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
> Vista and maybe Windows 7.

There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

> And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.

> I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
> could be composed within this newsgroup?

I'd add the delphi groups too, and make a clear tutorial about what Pascal
products are freely available from Borland/Codegear/Embarcadero, and what it
can do and not.

0
Reply Marco 9/28/2009 2:51:47 PM

On 2009-09-28, Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl> wrote:
>> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
>> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
>> Vista and maybe Windows 7.
>
> There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
> Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
> Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

I just heard that you can't download Turbo Explorer 2006 from Embarcadero
anymore. It is still available from 3rd party sites.

Embarcadero now only seems to have trial versions (30 days iirc) of the most
recent version.
0
Reply Marco 9/30/2009 9:29:39 AM
comp.lang.pascal.borland 1075 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows installation questions
Actually, it was easier than I thought. I created a folder on my HDD called TPWin and then created within that a number of subfolders called Disk1, Disk2, etc. And then copied the files on diskette #1 into subfolder Disk1, diskette #2 into subfolder Disk2 etc. And then burned the whole TPWin folder onto a CD, I then carried the CD to my friend's Win32 Vista PC and inserted the CD and ran the setup.exe (or maybe it was install.exe) file in the Disk1 subfolder. It just ran without interuption! It did not fail to find the files on the next floppy disk. It did not prompt for...

For sale: Borland Pascal 7.0, Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Turbo Pascal for Windoes 1.5
I'm having a bit of a "life laundry" at the moment. I have a lot of old stuff that I haven't looked at for 4+ years and I'm looking to sell it on to a good home. I have one copy each of the following: BP7.0, TP7.0 and TPW1.5 all on 3=2E5" floppy, all original Borland disks. No manuals, just the disks. I acquired them over the last 10 years as a Delphi programmer by saying things like "I think Turbo Pascal is really cool, I wish I had a copy!" and mystified fellow work mates saying "Okay... here you go, have mine..Um.. Enjoy?!?!". I h...

jdk 1.5 installation problems in WIndows or an installer bug?
Before you try this get the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 and run a registry cleaner to make sure all dependencies are cleared Then get the latest (1.5) jdk from Sun and install it in a directory other than the installer default in: C:\Program Files\ Install both the JDK and the JRE in the same place and the java compiler utility won't appear anywhere in your system Why is this happening? Why is freaking Sun doing this? Have they started to go the Microsoft Way? Or there is something I don't know ab...

Installing Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows using NetBeans 6.5
I have ruby 1.8.6 and rails 2.2.2 installed and have now downloaded ruby 1.9.1 binaries and copied them into a folder called ruby191 but do not think this is enough. How do I install binaries on Vista as I have always used the windows installer version before? I am not sure how to test I have the both versions NetBeans recognises that I have ruby 1.9.1 installed but will not recognise my rails installation. Do I need to install rails for each version of ruby I have if so how? I apologise for the convoluted question but I am a newbie and have started getting into rails and developed a few sim...

Windows Installer for Kerberos 5 release 1.7 or release 1.8
Hi, Do you have Windows installer for Kerberos 5 release 1.7 or release 1.8 Thanks Khanh Dao Software Engineer Northrop Grumman Information Systems, Inc. Defense Mission Systems Division Airbone & Maritime System (AMS) 9326 Spectrum Center Blvd., Mail Stop CA222/1138 San Diego, CA 92123 858-514-9177 Fax: 858-514-9010 ...

Installing j2sdk-1[1].4.2-nb-3.5-bin-windows.exe
I'd like to do/try some Java. So first install it. I downloaded j2sdk-1[1].4.2-nb-3.5-bin-windows.exe and ran it. After a few minutes it stops and points me to the file install.log with the following text: (Aug 22, 2003 9:31:37 PM), Setup.product.install, com.sun.installer.InstallJ2sdkAction, err, Error occured while installing [1603] -> D:\j2sdk_nb\_uninst\j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=ALL INSTALLDIR=\"D:\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\"" Any ideas ? Thanks, Fons. http://www.talkaboutprogramming.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/messages/596012.h...

turbo pascal 1.5
Hi All: Would it be a bad idea to use Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows to write programs in Windows XP? This would be 16 bit programs running in a 32 bit OS? Is there another Pascal compiler that I should use? I'm thinking TP 1.5 for Windows was the final version of Borland's TP compiler? Is that correct? Drew On 2004-08-08, Drew <a@b.com> wrote: > > Hi All: > > Would it be a bad idea to use Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows to write > programs in Windows XP? Yes. > This would be 16 bit programs running in a 32 bit OS? Yes, moreover si...

Installation of "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
dream liner Dec 28, 9:29 am show options Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server From: "dream liner" <venugopal.sis...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author Date: 27 Dec 2005 20:29:14 -0800 Local: Wed, Dec 28 2005 9:29 am Subject: installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000 Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps...

Installing "oralce 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services utility(start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->services) and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get starte...

installing "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services control panel and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as ment...

Installing SAPI 5.1 In windows???
Installing SAPI 5.1 In windows??? Does anyone know how to install the microsoft speech recognition software SAPI 5.1 ? I downloaded it and it doesn't install in the right directory. ...

How to install plugin for 1.5 on Windows
I've just tried to upgrade my Windows installation of Java from 1.4.2_04. I removed the existing installation and then installed the latest 1.5 NetBeans SDK fron java.sun.com, but it hasn't installed a plugin for the browsers. If I look at the list of plugins for IE, Mozilla or Firebird there is no mention of Java. If I try to run an applet in any of the browsers it fails. The installation instructions for the SDK definitately state that it includes the plugin, so how do I find out what's wrong? I'm a UNIX/Linux person rather than Windows, and I find the Windows way of doing...

Netware 5.1 install question
I am installing Netware 5.1 on an old Gateway 450 mhz pc with a smc1244tx v2 nic. When I get to the screen to add the nic the install software asks me for the following information: Slot Number, Connection Media Type, Tx Threshold and Node address. My question is where do I find this information? The docs say to get the info from the nic manufacturer but I can't find any of this info on their web site. Can anyone give me any help with this problem? Thanks for any help!! Bill Thompson ...

8.5.11.1 installation question
Just tried installing 8.5.11.1 -- after uninstalling 8.5.11.0 -- both 64-bit on Win7 The installer says that the "seed repository" is in conflict with an existing repository. Just wt* is a "seed repository"? Where did it come from? How is it "in conflict" with the new one? And just where is the old one located? I'm installing into the exact folder which used to contain 8.5.11.0: C:/Program Files/Tcl/ I do not recall ever getting this message in the past with prior ActiveState installers. Thank you. Dave <use@daveATbodenstab.org> writes: > Ju...

installing JDK 1.5.0_0 question
Hello I am learning Java as a hobby and currently using j2sdk-1_4_2_05. I note that Sun has made available a more recent version , namely JDK 1.5.0_01. Here is my question. Must I un-install j2sdk-1_4_2_05 and then install JDK 1.5.0_0 or just install JDK 1.5.0_01 ? Thanks Fud Fuddzy wrote: > Hello > > I am learning Java as a hobby and currently using j2sdk-1_4_2_05. > I note that Sun has made available a more recent version , namely JDK > 1.5.0_01. > > Here is my question. > Must I un-install j2sdk-1_4_2_05 and then install JDK 1.5.0_0 > or just inst...

OS2 Install question, FixPak 5.1?
I am Using OS/2 Warp 4.0 {required for the Voice Mail System at my Company} The system recently had a Hard Drive Crash, and as a result, I had to reinstall OS/2 Warp 4.0. After installing the software for the Phone systems was complete it rebooted and seems to function fairly well, but during the boot sequence it comes up with an alert saying that it is recommended that I update the system with FixPak 5.1, so far I haven't been able to find a FixPak 5.1, I have found 5, and then it jumps to something like 10 or 13 or something like that...if I get the higher, more recent ones, will ...

DB2 UDB 8.1 for Windows installation questions
I am trying to install DB2 Universal Database Enterprise Server Edition Version 8.1 (for Windows operating systems on 32-bit systems) on Windows 2000 Advanced Server that can be either standalone or part of a network. I am trying to avoid installing Active Directory and setting up the server as a domain controller. 1) Must DB2 UDB Enterprise be installed on a domain controller or can it be installed on W2K Advanced Server set up as a standalone server (or a member of a workgroup and not a domain)? 2) For a W2K Advanced Server installation that is not part of a domain, should D...

JRE 1.5 installation problem on Windows NT4
Hi, I'm trying to install JRE 1.5.0_06 on Windows NT4. The installation program (offline installation) always fails, with a strange error message like "a DLL is missing". Please note: JRE 1.4.2 works fine. Thank You, Lionel. On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:31:09 +0100, "LB" <lb@lb.fr> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >I'm trying to install JRE 1.5.0_06 on Windows NT4. I see NT support dropping. Consider flipping to Win2K or XP. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, c...

Several Install Related Questions (FreeBSD 5.2.1)
Hi, I have a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.2.1. I am new to FreeBSD, but do have a few months experience with other unices. I set up using DHCP, which appeared to get valid DNS info from my DHCP server. I can ping and FTP, but can't seem to resolve addresses. How can I verify the DNS info, and/or configure DHCP to recieve these if it isn't? (I will be happy to "man <program name>" if someone can tell me the program name!) Thanks! HumanJHawkins wrote: > I have a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.2.1. I am new to FreeBSD, but do have a > few months exper...

Installing Eudora 5.1 on new PC with Windows 7
I have been using Eudora 5.1 on a PC with XP. I just purchased a PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and would like to try to continue using 5.1. From reading some posts, I think I got the gist of the install process, but if there is a step by step guide it would be greatly apprecaited. One thing I did not understand was to move the "data" file from the XP machine to the new machine. I looked under the "documents and settings/ UserName/applicationdata" folder and could not find a folder named "data" or Qualcom or Eudora. Was this only for later versions? All...

Turbo Pascal Frequently Asked Questions, a monthly pointer #5
165966 Jan 8 2000 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip tsfaqp.zip Common Turbo Pascal Questions and Timo's answers, linked This file TSFAQP.IDX lists the contents of ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts/tsfaqp49.zip also available as ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip Common Turbo Pascal Questions and Timo's answers -------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQPAS1.TXT Frequently (and not so frequently) asked Turbo Pascal questions with Timo's answers. 1) How do I disable or capture ...

5.1 Install & Intel Integrated NIC Questions
Hi all. Summary = anybody able to point me in the right direction re below and/or at least confirm that someone has had success getting NICs integrated on Intel M/boards working (in particular a PRO/100 VE on a 865GLC M/B) ?? After sometime out of the FreeBSD world, I've decided to put my toes back in the water - so to speak. So, I download ISO images for 5.1 and presto, booted up, installed from CD nice and clean. A lot simpler than last time I built a box from scratch! Down side - after years becoming to upgrade processes from 3.2 -> 4.5, a move to 5.1 is a little mo...

ASE 12.5.1 installer issue on windows 2000
Hi everyone I want to upgrade a test server from Sybase 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.1 on windows 2000. When I start the installer, I'm a bit suprised that it can't figure out where the current sybase version is installed. I need to select the destination/installation folder manually. After I have clicked on Next, I expect to see a list of modules to be installed/upgraded. Instead, I get a pop-up box saying the installer is unable to write to the file "null\vpd.properties". I can only click on OK and exit the installer. Under normal circumstances, the installer shoul...

Question installing JRuby 1.5.2 under SuSe SLES 10
I downloaded jruby-bin-1.5.2.targ.gz on my SuSe SLES 10 system. 1) - How do I compile it? 2) - Any url with installation instructions? Thank you -- Ruby Student On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Ruby Student <ruby.student@gmail.com> wrote: > I downloaded jruby-bin-1.5.2.targ.gz on my SuSe SLES 10 system. > > 1) - How do I compile it? > 2) - Any url with installation instructions? It's the -bin package. You don't have to compile it. Just unpack it. It's ready to run, so long as you have Java installed on your system. http://jruby.org/getting-star...