f



Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows installation questions

A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a 
machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the 
machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the 
installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I download 
the installable from somewhere?

Steve
0
Stephen
9/18/2009 6:36:07 AM
comp.lang.pascal.borland 1075 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
1573 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

On 2009-09-18, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a 
> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No idea.

> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the 
> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the 
> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I download 
> the installable from somewhere?

The similar product borland pascal allows all disks to be thrown in one
directory, and install from there.

Afaik these products are still payware, and not free.
0
Marco
9/18/2009 1:02:17 PM
In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>right?
>
>Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>download the installable from somewhere?


When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
anything not part of the core product.

My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.

My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.

It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
the 10 BP7 discs.

Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
64-bit.

-- 
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics & links;
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
  <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip> Timo Salmi's Turbo Pascal FAQ.
0
Dr
9/19/2009 5:05:12 PM
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07 +1000, Stephen Geard
<sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a 
>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?

No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.

0
Franz
9/21/2009 7:28:08 PM
Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been 
worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into 
one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple 
diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the 
destination folder. For example, say there was a very important 
installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the 
same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that 
would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in 
numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the 
installation requires.

Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons 
should avoid this problem. Thanks.

As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit 
machine. But I will need to check.

Steve.


Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <vt6dnRszfvfQty7XnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@ne
> tspace.net.au>, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07, Stephen Geard
> <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> posted:
>> A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>> machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that
>> right?
>>
>> Also he has the installation diskettes (about 19 of them) , but the
>> machine does not have a 3.5" FDD. What are my options? Can I copy the
>> installation files onto a CD, and install from the CD? Or can I
>> download the installable from somewhere?
> 
> 
> When I got Borland Pascal 7, with (for a slight additional cost) the
> source of the RTL (or something like that), installation failed when all
> discs were copied together (IIRC).  Omit, when first installing,
> anything not part of the core product.
> 
> My TPW 1.5 came on 9 720kB 3.5" floppies, without add-ons.
> 
> My BP 7 (effectively including TPW) came on 10 1.44MB 3.5" floppies,
> with the additional RTL on 1 720kN 3.5" floppy.
> 
> It is possible that he has both; in that case, forget TPW and install
> the 10 BP7 discs.
> 
> Don't ask me whether it works on Vista; but BP 7 itself runs in an XP
> command prompt.  It might well matter whether the Vista is 32-bit or
> 64-bit.
> 
0
Stephen
9/22/2009 1:26:43 AM
In comp.lang.pascal.borland message <1skfb5pb7kpaifr2c4c0nk185ljqsau41o@
4ax.com>, Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:28:08, Franz-Leo Chomse <franz-
leo.chomse@samac.de> posted:
>On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:36:07 +1000, Stephen Geard
><sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>A friend has asked me to install Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows onto a
>>machine running Windows Vista. I understand it will run OK, is that right?
>
>No. The 64 bit versions of Windows don't support 16 bit
>programs anymore. You need Virtual PC and a Win 3.1 guest.
>
Page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista> knows that Vista comes in
32-bit & 64-bit versions.  You should read it and the Wiki pages to
which it links.

-- 
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics & links;
  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>   RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
  <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip> Timo Salmi's Turbo Pascal FAQ.
0
Dr
9/22/2009 4:12:05 PM
On 2009-09-22, Stephen Geard <sdgeard@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, your experience highlights something that had been 
> worrying me about copying all of the files on all of the diskettes into 
> one folder. What happens if there are files of the same name on multiple 
> diskettes? Clearly, only the last one copied would end up in the 
> destination folder. For example, say there was a very important 
> installation file on diskette #2, and a not so important file of the 
> same name on diskette #17. The one off diskette #17 is the one that 
> would end up in the destination folder (assuming I copy the diskettes in 
> numeric order), but it is the one from diskette #2, that the 
> installation requires.

Correct, but that is easily to detect. Just copy to separate dirs, and then
copy them into one major dir, and see if you get duplicate files warnings.

> Your suggestion of only installing the core product, without add-ons 
> should avoid this problem. Thanks.

IIRC the said 11th disk of BP also had an own install.exe Difference between
BP and BP with objects?

> As far as I am aware the Vista machine I am installing onto is a 32-bit 
> machine. But I will need to check.

Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
still. A free version of Delphi, or Free Pascal might be a good alternative
to have a look at, depending on requirements.

IIRC Vista/Windows7 also limit the amount of DPMI memory for use to 32MB
(was 64MB in XP), though I don't know if that applies to win 3.1x binaries.
0
Marco
9/26/2009 1:29:26 PM
On Sep 26, 2:29=A0pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:


> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several ye=
ars
> still.

I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
that.

A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring; if he has a
machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi command-line
compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in Vista and
maybe Windows 7.

And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.



=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
could be composed within this newsgroup?


--
  (c) John Stockton, near London, UK.  Using Google, no spell-check.
 Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org or (better) via Home Page at
 Web:  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/>
 FAQish topics, acronyms, links, etc.; Date, Delphi, JavaScript, ....|


0
Dr
9/26/2009 8:29:35 PM
On 2009-09-26, Dr J R Stockton <J.R.Stockton@physics.org> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2:29�pm, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:
>
>
>> Keep in mind that 64-bit will mean TPW is doomed. It will take several years
>> still.
>
> I'm not sure of that.  64-bit Vista seems to have, but perhaps not
> always, a 32-bit system inside, but maybe no 16-bit system inside
> that.

Correct. The CPU only does two modi. In x86 mode it does 32-bit and can
run 16-bit code, in x64 mode it runns 64-bit code and can run 32-bit code.

> A user who has retained a machine with 16-bit capability can use in it
> the familiar BP7 IDE to write code with Pascal colouring;

Sure. And those who can't can use dosbox.

The problem is that you can't use what you make on a typical system anymore.

> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
> Vista and maybe Windows 7.

There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

> And the machine I got in Spring 1988 still runs TP5.

> I see from time to time such questions.  Perhaps a draft for the FAQ
> could be composed within this newsgroup?

I'd add the delphi groups too, and make a clear tutorial about what Pascal
products are freely available from Borland/Codegear/Embarcadero, and what it
can do and not.

0
Marco
9/28/2009 2:51:47 PM
On 2009-09-28, Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl> wrote:
>> if he has a machine with 32-bit capability he can use a Delphi
>> command-line compiler to generate a 32-bit EXE which AIUI will run in
>> Vista and maybe Windows 7.
>
> There is no free Delphi command-line compiler anymore to my best knowledge.
> Keys are no longer issued for the old "personal" versions, and the free
> Turbo Explorer D2006 has no cmdline compiler.

I just heard that you can't download Turbo Explorer 2006 from Embarcadero
anymore. It is still available from 3rd party sites.

Embarcadero now only seems to have trial versions (30 days iirc) of the most
recent version.
0
Marco
9/30/2009 9:29:39 AM
Reply: