Why is this code not the same as that code?

---- this code* ----
procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked;
  if FileListenItem.Checked then
  begin
    ClientSocket.Active := False;
    ServerSocket.Active := True;
    Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...';
  end
  else
  begin
    if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;
    Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';
  end;
end;

procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False;
  if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then
    if Length(Server) > 0 then

      begin
        clientsocket.Host := Server;
        clientsocket.Active := True;
        FileListenItem.Checked := False;
      end;
end;

------------------

---- that code* ---
[...]

    if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;  // changed
    Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';      end;
// changed
end;
-------------

? this code* works but that code* doesent  .. help!!

0
name
8/12/2003 6:01:00 PM
comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc 5769 articles. 1 followers. miniFAQ (1) is leader. Post Follow

I think the code is the same -
but a future refrence in the code checks if FileListenItem is checked and
proceeds based on that and thus overall it doesent work.

? ? ? ?

0
name
8/12/2003 6:43:36 PM
"name" <e@mail.add> wrote in message
> ---- this code* ----
> procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked;
>   if FileListenItem.Checked then
>   begin
>     ClientSocket.Active := False;
>     ServerSocket.Active := True;
>     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...';
>   end
>   else
>   begin
>     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;
>     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';
>   end;
> end;
>
> procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False;
>   if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then
>     if Length(Server) > 0 then
>
>       begin
>         clientsocket.Host := Server;
>         clientsocket.Active := True;
>         FileListenItem.Checked := False;
>       end;
> end;
>

> ------------------
>
> ---- that code* ---
> procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked;
>   if FileListenItem.Checked then
>   begin
>     ClientSocket.Active := False;
>     ServerSocket.Active := True;
>     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...';
>   end
>   else
>   begin
>     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;
>     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';
>   end;
> end;
>
> procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False;
>   if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then
>     if Length(Server) > 0 then
>
>       begin
>         clientsocket.Host := Server;
>         clientsocket.Active := True;
>     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;  // changed
>     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';      end;
> // changed
> end;
> -------------
>
> ? this code* works but that code* doesent  .. help!!

In what way does it not work? It looks as if you're doing two different
things (first is setting a checkbox and the second is disabling a server
socket) so some explanation of what you are actually trying to acheive would
be helpful :)

In your reply to yourself, you appear to say that it's failing because
FileListenItem.Checked is not getting set in the second code. Unless I'm
missing something, you don't make any attempt to set FileListenItem.Checked
in the second code ...

--
Michael Brown

Michael
8/13/2003 3:19:32 AM
"name" <e@mail.add> wrote in message news:<sza_a.9012$M6.735715@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> I think the code is the same -
> but a future refrence in the code checks if FileListenItem is checked and
> proceeds based on that and thus overall it doesent work.
>
> ? ? ? ?

Sounds right. Instead of using FileListenItem.Checked to check if your
socket is open, use ServerSocket.Active.

/Nic
0
nic
8/13/2003 6:00:27 AM
"Bj�rge S�ther" <bjorge@hahaha_itte.no> wrote in message
> "name" <e@mail.add> skrev i melding
> > I think the code is the same -
> > but a future refrence in the code checks if FileListenItem is checked
and
> > proceeds based on that and thus overall it doesent work.
>
> As said before, don't use the state of aCheckBox, use the state of the
> object it references. You'll need to synchronize them, of course. This may
> be done by introducing a couple of methods:
>
> Type
>   TChatForm = ...
>   private
>     FSettingServerState: boolean;
>

> procedure TChatForm.SetServerSocketConnected(Value: boolean);
> begin
>   ClientSocket.Connected:=not Value;
>   ServerSocket.Connected:=Value;
>   UpdateServerSocketDisplay;
> end;
>
> procedure TChatForm.UpdateServerSocketDisplay;
> var
>   Tmp: string;
> begin
>   FSettingServerState:=true;
>   try
>     FileConnectItem.Checked:=ServerSocket.Connected;
>     if ServerSocket.Connected then
>       Tmp:='Listening..'
>     else
>       Tmp:='';
>     Statusbar1.panels[0].Caption:=Tmp;
>   finally
>     FSettingServerState:=false;
>   end;
> end;
>
> procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItem.Click(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   // We're doing it in code...setting 'Checked' would lead to
>   // an endless loop...that's what FSettingServerState field is for
>   if FSettingServerState then exit;
>   SetServerSocketConnected(not FileConnectItem.Checked);
> end;
>
> This is one of *many* ways to do it, but the essentials is to centralize
> setting of properties & variables in methods !
> This makes both changing of functionality / UI & debugging much easier !
> --
> Regards,
>
> Bj�rge S�ther
> bjorge@haha_itte.no
> -------------------------------------
> I'll not spend any money on American Software products
> until armed forces are out of Iraq.

ok i was getting to that ^_^  in this thread i was just asking about that
code because it looked like it was the same but it still gave me an error.

thank you for the exter work!!

0
name
8/14/2003 12:56:29 AM
"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> "name" <e@mail.add> wrote in message
> > ---- this code* ----
> > procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> > begin
> >   FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked;
> >   if FileListenItem.Checked then
> >   begin
> >     ClientSocket.Active := False;
> >     ServerSocket.Active := True;
> >     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...';
> >   end
> >   else
> >   begin
> >     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;
> >     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';
> >   end;
> > end;
> >
> > procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> > begin
> >   if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False;
> >   if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then
> >     if Length(Server) > 0 then
> >
> >       begin
> >         clientsocket.Host := Server;
> >         clientsocket.Active := True;
> >         FileListenItem.Checked := False;
> >       end;
> > end;
> >

> > ------------------
> >
> > ---- that code* ---
> > procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> > begin
> >   FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked;
> >   if FileListenItem.Checked then
> >   begin
> >     ClientSocket.Active := False;
> >     ServerSocket.Active := True;
> >     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...';
> >   end
> >   else
> >   begin
> >     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;
> >     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';
> >   end;
> > end;
> >
> > procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject);
> > begin
> >   if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False;
> >   if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then
> >     if Length(Server) > 0 then
> >
> >       begin
> >         clientsocket.Host := Server;
> >         clientsocket.Active := True;
> >     if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False;  //
changed
> >     Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := '';      end;
> > // changed
> > end;
> > -------------
> >
> > ? this code* works but that code* doesent  .. help!!
>
> In what way does it not work? It looks as if you're doing two different
> things (first is setting a checkbox and the second is disabling a server
> socket) so some explanation of what you are actually trying to acheive
would
> be helpful :)

lol if i wanted help on the code yes! but look at the thread title :) i know
you all want to help me but i simply wanted to know if both code sections i
posted do the same thing.

> In your reply to yourself, you appear to say that it's failing because
> FileListenItem.Checked is not getting set in the second code. Unless I'm
> missing something, you don't make any attempt to set
FileListenItem.Checked
> in the second code ...
"In your reply to yourself" that sounds bad... lets use the term update .. i
updated my post with new information. If both of the code thingys i posted
are the same and i _still_ got an error message then it would be because of
some other code in the project.

i tryed to ask this with posting as little code as possible in my attempt to
abide by newsgroup etique (spell check?) but i think i failed. i dident
anticipate so many replys either!! if you really want to see the code i can
make a look at my app post with a link to it, ive totaly revamped the
program and im open to all sugestions right after i make it based on
Bjorge's boolean var instead of a text value.

> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

0
name
8/14/2003 1:01:06 AM
<snip>
">you really want to see the code i can
> make a look at my app post with a link to it, "

Make a look at my app.. lol I dont know what happened there.

Heres the link: http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/winmx6/main.pas

& my app now has its own thread!! :: warning :: its large. - the new thread
that is. Its a small source file.

0
name

To Code or Not to Code?
Just read a paper with the very interesting title, "To code or not to code: lossy source-channel communication revisited", Gastpar et al, IEEE Trans Information Theory, May 2003, p 1147. It's available for free here... http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~gastpar/01197846.pdf As far as I can tell, the idea is that although source and channel coding can be separated without loss of optimality (Shannon) it can be overly complex, and less complex systems can get close to this opimality by combining source and channel coding, or at least matching them in some way. This sounds like a pret...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

Coding to the ][, Coding to the ///?
Now that I've gotten some very limited /// stuff running (thanks to MESS)...I've been thinking of trying to code to the ///. Fortunately, getting software to the emulated /// is a snap. I'd just use the same strategy as I use for the ][, using the emulated ][+ from ApplePC. Save to a ProDOS disk, boot on the ///. The questions become a bit more complex here. 1. I assume the 40x24 text mode works similarly to the ][. Running on MESS, part of the text screen would periodically get "colorized", and I suspect the color memory is stored on text page 2. This woul...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

C code to Delphi code
Hi I have earlier asked about calling a DLL written i C, which I have to call from delphi. One of the functions which I have to call expects a function a parameter. After some tests I found out, that I have to put the StdCall after my procedure / function. I tried with cdecl after, but this gave my a runtime error (with a invalid memory reference I think). My procedure is being called, bnut somewhere along it goes wrong. I have gotten a small program written i C, which I try to duplicate The C procedure I try to duplicate is this (I have written my comments here to explain wh...

Fortran Code to Pascal Code
I need to write tthe following in Pascal : While this compiles without any problems, I get errors with this part of code : IN FORTRAN real eig(36,5,5,5), diff(36), scores(5) col = 4 row = 1 do i=1,5 scores(i) = sum(eig(1:36,col,row,i)*diff) end do In PASCAL col := 4 row := 1 for i:= 1 to 5 do begin tempsum := 0.0; for j:=1 to 36 do begin tempsum := tempsum + eig[j,col,row,i]*diff[j]; end; scores[i] := tempsum; end; The scores array get different values IN PASCAL with the same data Where is the error? Thanks williamdiazs wrote: > I need to ...

good code, bad code, magic code
i've discovered (on my server) that it doesn't seem to be necessary to call data from a form via $_POST, or to retrieve cookies via $_COOKIE, and other such things; they are available by name alone. however, i've heard that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. my question: is this considered bad practice? also, when submitting a file via <input name="file" type="file" /> i find that not only does $file get set, but $file_name and others also "magically" get set... I guess I just find that odd coming from C++ where noth...

Convert VBA COM code to Delphi code
Hi We are trying to reference and manipulate a COM object in Delphi5. We have been given the following VBA code, which looks really simple! But we can't work out what the equivalent in Delphi is. HELP!!!!! Can anyone give me a full Delphi version of this code? Thanks in advance Tim. == VBA Code segment: - 'Declare the objects and variables ' Dim ofunctionCtrl As Object 'function control (collective object) Dim osapConnection As Object 'connection object Dim otheFunc As Object 'function object Dim logonReturn As Boolean ...

Code to compile a code
In a c program I have a var with the name of a file that I want to compile, how would I compile it using c code? Profetas <xuxu_18@yahoo.com> wrote: > In a c program I have a var with the name of a file that I want to compile, > how would I compile it using c code? Probably by cobbling together a string with the command to invoke the compiler, using your variable, and than feeding it to the system() function. Regards, Jens -- \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de \__________________________ http://www.toerring....

changing code by code
hi y'all! i want to implement a few macros to help me do my coding; when calling a macro: how i can i find out in which module i'm currently in; at which position and what text i have selected. it's gotta be possible somehow, but the screen-objekt really isn't of much help. can anyone help me? thanks in advance! mike maercker I don't know about macros. You might be able to use them to run code you write. But if you are up to coding, you need to set a reference to the 'Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3'. It provides the interface for ...

Code to display my code
Hi all, I am taking a class in PHP and thought that it would be nice to display the PHP code that generated my pages when the user clicked a link (or submit button). I have seen page that will display the underlying HTML on the page and it would be a nice touch...I think Is there a way to do this? TIA, Miki Michelle wrote: > I am taking a class in PHP and thought that it would be nice to display > the PHP code that generated my pages when the user clicked a link (or > submit button). I have seen page that will display the underlying HTML > on the page and it would be a n...

M code into programming C code or MATLAB programming code
hallo firends, Can any body help me write this below code into MATLAB object oriented or C code form please? M=50; % total number of periods. (choose for 1s duration) f0 = 50; % fundamental AC frequency T0 = 1/f0; %fundamental AC period T = M*T0; %Time for M periods (integer M) N=30; % sample points per period. dt = T0/N; % Sample at N points per period (integer N > 20) t = dt*[1:M*N-1]; % Sampling time array A0=120/2; % amplitude of AC signal. Divide by 2 or maybe sqrt (2) ? AC=A0*sin(f0*t*2*pi); % create AC signal. DC0=50; % DC amplitude DC=DC0*ones(1,length...

Virtual Key Codes, Scan Codes and ASCII Codes in C
Not sure if this is the right board but it is in c... I've got a console program written in c which receives key presses and gets a Windows Virtual key code. I am trying to convert it to the exact ascii value the user has typed. so if shift is down it should be a capital otherwise lower case etc. I started with this: void printKey(int key) { printf("Key: %c\n", key); } and I got all upper case (not really suprising) so then after a bit of research and grafting I came up with this: int vk2ascii(unsigned int vk, int *s) { int scan; unsigned char state[256]; HKL layout=GetK...

Help for implementing FEC codes like Tornado codes & Online codes
Hi all, I am trying to develop a file transfer application which can transfer files over high latency networks such as WAN with minimum time consumption and maximum throughput. I am studying FEC codes such as (Online Codes and Tornado Codes) for implementing that. Due to lack of descriptive documentation I have not been able to reach some conclusive point from where I can implement this. Can anybody out there help me out in this case by giving some hyperlinks or documentation from where I can get some code extracts or extensive help regarding implementing these algo's. Any help regarding t...

fortran code into matlab code
I am pasting the fortran code in below that I need converted into matlab code. I actually already tried to do it, but I get hundreds of errors. I am definitely not good at debugging, do not have the patience for it. Can someone give me hints/tips on how I can change it into matlab without getting all the errors? Thanks in advance; C NUMERICAL COMPUTATION OF INCOMPRESSIBLE COUETTE FLOW USING FINITE DIFFERENCE METHOD C EXPLICIT APPROACH C C MODEL EQUATION C PARTIAL(U)/PARTIAL(T)=1/RE*(PARTIAL(U) SQUARE/PARTIAL(Y) SQUARE) C DEFINE VARIABLES C VELOCITY U AT TIME T, VELOCITY UNEW AT ...

Object Code to Source Code
Running Universe 10 on Windows : I have a VOC entry as follows : >ED VOC DS.SELECT.EXECUTE 0001: V 0002: PROGRAMS.O/DS.SELECT.EXECUTE 0003: B 0004: BNP 0005: 0006: PICK.FORMAT 0007: S�N�P�I�A�E�H 0008: NO.WARN�NOPAGE�LPTR�KEEP.COMMON��TRAP�HDR-SUPP 0009: PROGRAMS.O Though when I try to ED PROGRAMS DS.SELECT.EXECUTE I am given a new record to start with. I believe that the PROGRAMS.O is refering to the object code. Can this be viewed at all (in a semi-readable sort of format) ? Can the Source Code be rebuilt from ...

Trellis code in matlab code
Hi All Do you have some matlab code for the STTC which will give me some Idea. Any helping material or URL regarding the same will kindly be sent to me. I shall be very thankful to you for this act. Regards Kelecha ...

SPSS code to SAS code
Hi guys Is there a way to convert SPSS codes to SAS syntax?? I am not asking about SPSS datasets to SAS, but for codes. Thank you and looking forward to your help. Marios ...

SPSS code to SAS code
I have some SPSS code that I need to convert to SAS code. Since I haven't used SPSS for about 25 years, I'm less than confident that I am properly interpreting the SPSS code that I have. Is there any kind of program that translates code between the two languages, no matter how imperfectly? At least that would give me a starting point for the correct SAS code. -- Charlie Axilbund caxilbund@iasinfo.com ...

m code to C code
Dear All, The following code I am feeding as input to a simulink model using 'From Workspace' block. n=32 %ADC bit N=424; % Order of the digital Filter Xmax = floor((2^n-1)/2); %modified A = zeros(1,5); C1 = Xmax*ones(1,N); nD = 2^(1+floor(log2(5*N)))-5-N-N-(N/2); n0 = -nD/log(0.01); exprange = (1:((5*N)-1))./n0; D = round(Xmax*(2*exp(-exprange)-1)); C2 = -Xmax*ones(1,N/2); E = zeros(1,N); Test_Signal_in = [A C1 D C2 E]; plot(Test_Signal_in) How can I generate the C-code for this m-code in way that I can...

creator codes and type codes
i just registered a couple of creator codes with apple. but their website says they don't keep track of type codes anymore. why not? isn't the whole point of that exercise to prevent conflicts? i'm pretty sure it would be unwise for me to try to claim, say, TEXT, but other than steering clear of the well-known ones, how am i to avoid trouble? i guess we'll all be moving to UTIs eventually, but i think it's a little early for that right now. In article <PM0003FB8D691809AF@remy.nashville.comcast.net>, Jøhnny Fävòrítê (it means &q...

Matlab code to C-code
If I want to generate C-code from m-file not specifically for embedded target, which tool can I use? As of I know emlc converts embedded MATALAB code to C-code. Does the Real-Time Workshop uses emlc? Please any one tell me how can I convert my m-file (not only embedded m-file) to C- code. Hi Naveen, i don't think you can do this. if you could, TMW would be giving away the store! you can, however, use the MATLAB Compiler to generate a DLL that you can call from C. MCC will generate a little stub that you call. That stub will call into the MCR (MATLAB Component Runtim...

SAS code to C code?
Hello, Is there a way to translate the SAS code to C code? Thank you Kai Well, SAS is written in C, so I suppose if you have a decompiler, you can open yourself up to criminal charges for violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Having said that, there are things that you can do in SAS that can also be done in C, but SAS is almost always easier. Bob Abelson KAI Research, Inc. 6001 Montrose Rd. Suite 920 Rockville, MD 20852 T: 301-770-2730 F: 301-770-4183 rabelson@kai-research.com > -----Original Message----- > From: Yang, Kai [SMTP:Kai.Yang@CSHS.ORG] > Sent: Wednesday, Octo...

Web resources about - Why is this code not the same as that code? - comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc

Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Decoded" redirects here. For the television show, see Brad Meltzer's Decoded . For the Jay-Z memoir, see Decoded (book) . A code is a rule for ...

Herding Code
While at NDC 2012 in Oslo, Jon and K. Scott talked to Shay Friedman about Roslyn, IronRuby, and the DLR. Download / Listen: 146 – Shay Friedman ...

iPhone, iPad and Mac OS X Cocoa Usability and Development Services - Instinctive Code
iPad, iPhone / iPod Touch and Mac OS X Cocoa development services and UI design.

Re/code
No Bible Available? NY Swears in Politician With iPad Bible App. By Jordan Kahn, Writer, 9to5Mac

CTE authority likens Australian footy codes to 'gladiatorial sports in ancient Rome'
The doctor who made game-changing discoveries about dead, brain damaged American footballers has likened Australia's football codes to &quot;gladiatorial ...

NSW Labor adopts code of conduct on bullying and harassment in wake of scandals
NSW Labor has adopted&nbsp;a code of conduct that prohibits bullying and harassment, in an attempt to shake off the scandals had engulfed its ...

Cricket Australia splash to cash to help Queensland fight footy codes for brightest youth prospects ...
... a groundbreaking $6 million funding bonanza has Queensland cricket poised for a major fightback in the war against marauding football codes. ...

Australian Rugby Union's strategic plan focuses on investment to lift profile of code
Bill Pulver says a far more stable financial situation as a result of a new television rights deal means the ARU will focus its investment on ...

Women write better code, study suggests
Computer code written by women has a higher approval rating than that written by men - but only if it is not obvious that the coders are female, ...