Database vs Text for text search

At what level a database will be better for a read only text search?

I have some records, each has 6 fields. Each record has a pararent record.

Each parent has less than 100 childs.

Total records is about 1000-1500.

I want to put everthing in one single file, or put each parent and their
children in a file so I can have 20-30 files.

I am afraid to go to the database route, because the limitation of concurent
connections and the overhead of database search.

Is there a cut-off number of records, below that line, text is better, above
it, database is better?

0
http

"http://links.i6networks.com" <SaveWorldFromAids@alexa.com> wrote:
> At what level a database will be better for a read only text search?

What kind of searching?  What kind of joins?

> I have some records, each has 6 fields. Each record has a pararent
> record.
>
> Each parent has less than 100 childs.
>
> Total records is about 1000-1500.
>
> I want to put everthing in one single file, or put each parent and their
> children in a file so I can have 20-30 files.
>
> I am afraid to go to the database route, because the limitation of
> concurent connections and the overhead of database search.

Databases are designed to handle concurrent connections, and are designed
to do searches efficiently.  That is what they are for.

> Is there a cut-off number of records, below that line, text is better,
> above it, database is better?

No.  I have database tables with as few as 5 row, and as many 100,000,000.
I have text file schemas with as few as few as 1 records, and as many as
50,000,000,000.

Which one you choose depends on the concurrency, the data model, the
algorithmic and indexing schemes necessary to achieve acceptable
performance under the access conditions, etc.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB
0
ctcgag
8/20/2004 2:19:58 AM
http://links.i6networks.com wrote:

> At what level a database will be better for a read only text search?
>
> I have some records, each has 6 fields. Each record has a pararent record.
>
> Each parent has less than 100 childs.
>
> Total records is about 1000-1500.
>
> I want to put everthing in one single file, or put each parent and their
> children in a file so I can have 20-30 files.
>
> I am afraid to go to the database route, because the limitation of concurent
> connections and the overhead of database search.
>
> Is there a cut-off number of records, below that line, text is better, above
> it, database is better?

Well, you don't provide nearly enough information to make such a
decision.  Is this a CGI app?  Batch lookup?  Something else?  What
response time is required?  You mention concurrent connections.  How
many?  You also mention the "overhead" of a "database search".  That
would be a lot less than the overhead of a brute-force search of a
flat-file text file (assuming a decent database).  The overhead of
establishing a database connection, however, may well exceed that of a
brute force text file search.  Your file seems quite small -- will it
ever be bigger, or is that it?  How complicated are the lookups?

Assuming your app is CGI with less than a large number of hits, it seems
like the brute force text file search would be reasonable, given the
indicated size of the file.  Since it is read-only, you don't have to
worry about file locking, or adding/deleting/changing data, all of which
dramatically simplifies things.
--
Bob Walton

Bob
8/20/2004 2:33:18 AM
http://links.i6networks.com wrote:

> At what level a database will be better for a read only text search?

Whenever profiling your app shows that searching the text has become a
bottleneck, and when profiling shows that replacing the offending code
with a database-backed alternative removes that bottleneck.

Why guess when you can measure?

sherm--

Sherm
8/20/2004 5:57:24 AM
> > At what level a database will be better for a read only text search?
> >
> > I have some records, each has 6 fields. Each record has a pararent
record.

> > Each parent has less than 100 childs.
> >
> > Total records is about 1000-1500.
> >
> > I want to put everthing in one single file, or put each parent and their
> > children in a file so I can have 20-30 files.
> >
> > I am afraid to go to the database route, because the limitation of
concurent
> > connections and the overhead of database search.
> >
> > Is there a cut-off number of records, below that line, text is better,
above
> > it, database is better?
>
> Well, you don't provide nearly enough information to make such a
> decision.  Is this a CGI app?  Batch lookup?  Something else?  What
> response time is required?  You mention concurrent connections.  How
> many?  You also mention the "overhead" of a "database search".  That
> would be a lot less than the overhead of a brute-force search of a
> flat-file text file (assuming a decent database).  The overhead of
> establishing a database connection, however, may well exceed that of a
> brute force text file search.  Your file seems quite small -- will it
> ever be bigger, or is that it?  How complicated are the lookups?
>
> Assuming your app is CGI with less than a large number of hits, it seems
> like the brute force text file search would be reasonable, given the
> indicated size of the file.  Since it is read-only, you don't have to
> worry about file locking, or adding/deleting/changing data, all of which
> dramatically simplifies things.

each record has those fields:
description
product id
current price
old price

i only need to "grep case insentively keys in the description" either OR or
AND operations between searched keys.
It is a CGI/Perl

I have trouble to build the data structure, as I don't know how to store
them in a text file. I am think doing =~ m//i search in perl, but also
consider to run a system call of grep, which seems easier and simpler.

0
http
8/20/2004 6:02:31 AM
http://links.i6networks.com wrote:

> I have trouble to build the data structure, as I don't know how to store
> them in a text file. I am think doing =~ m//i search in perl, but also
> consider to run a system call of grep, which seems easier and simpler.

The "trouble to build the data structure, as I don't know how to store
them in a text file" would point to using a real database, even if the
quantity of data doesn't.

--
Bob Walton

Bob

text-text

text + text

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many > records and then diplay the records which contains the input. > > Thanks in advance, > > Luke. ...

Text Search vs MYSQL vs Lucene
What would be performance of pgSQL text search vs MySQL vs Lucene (flat file) for a 2 terabyte db? thanks for any comments. ..V -- Please post on Rich Internet Applications User Interface (RiA/SoA) <http://www.portalvu.com> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your message can get through to the mailing list cleanly It be at least dual opteron 64 w 4 gigs of ram runing fedora with a huge raid...

Text, search -regexp, elidden text
Hi. It has been a long time, but I'll spare you from tales how my Easter went, and stuff. No, I can't do that. You can skip starting from <here> all the way down there to next \n\n unless you are really interested. That I doubt. My Easter grass didn't grow and as a bonus even the seeds got mold. Dang. But otherwise, great time. Now to my point. I have been drooling for a while at {expand} but none seemed to be interested in wrapping Tcl alphas into Debian packages, and with very humble SparcStation 5 I was not that eager to compile it all by myself. However, I did, just to get that {expand}. After 7 hours of compiling and stuff there it was: my very own Tcl/Tk 8.5a2. Nope, not a3, cvs has next to never worked for me. After crying out loud for huge CPU impact from [clock] (that I read has not yet been optimized, so I forgive you .) I noticed that my highlights weren't working, like at all. So, using Tk/8.5a2: text .t ..t tag configure e -elide 1 ..t insert end "a\nb\nc" puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] ..t tag add e 1.0 2.0 puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] Where the heck is my b? I tried to g00gle for this, and I even pursued Sourceforge bug database to no avail. Or at least I didn't catch it. What I assume is that although [text] man page says "starting with index1 and ending just before index2 (the character at index2 isn't tagged)" the search...

Tk text search and elided text
All, I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. I've got a text widget with some elided text. A search returns the position L.C (properly), but a subsequent search starting at L.C for the same string fails to return L.C. However, a search with the option -elide does return L.C. The elided text is at the beginning of the line, a good 60 characters before the text in question. Here's the example: # -------------------------------- end toplevel .bfw pack [set t [text .bfw.t]] -expand 1 -fill both set elidetext "to elide" $t tag configure toelide -elide 1 $t insert end "random\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "something here missing instantiation\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "other text missing instantiation\n" puts [set res [$t search inst 1.0]] # prints 2.62 - proper starting point for 'inst' puts [$t search inst $res] # prints 3.57 - second occurrence of 'inst' puts [$t search -elide inst $res] # prints 2.62 - first occurrence of 'inst' # -------------------------------- end Am I doing something wrong? Is there some expectation I shouldn't have? I figured that all 3 searches should return 2.62. thanks, TJ bigfaceworm wrote: > All, > > I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. > I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. > ...

Search Text in Database
Hi, I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a searchengine. How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in a format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function - but I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the field. Are there maybe even better ways? Thanx in advance. Greg Each field in a given row should store one piece of information. Seperating your data with semicolons suggests that your storing multiple piecies of data in a field that should only be storing a single peice of data. It defeats the puprose of a relational database. Instead you probably want to add a second table that will have a one to many or a third table to setup a many to many relationship with your first table and possibly second. Here are two table ideas but without your DDL I can't know what it is your trying to do so I'm guessing. If you need more information provide your DDL (i.e. your create statements, and some insert statements with sample data). CREATE TABLE Food_Type ( ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, Name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL ) CREATE TABLE Food_Attributes ( ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, Attribute VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL, Food_Type_ID INT NOT NULL ) Then your data could look like this. INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Dinner') INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Lunch') INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Snack'...

How to search list of particular text values into free text
Hi All, Please if anyone has idea about how to search particular list of text values from one small table to free text variable in large dataset and when finds the value, update the large dataset. I have small lookup table (around 120 records) for example: Category Types; Type_1 Mangos, Type_1 Pineapples, Type_2 Onions, Type_2 Tomatoes, … Type_n typeN. Now I need to search each particular text values (variable-Types) from the above small table into my large dataset which has free text variable called “Order_details”. For example: Order_details: The last order was for the Mangos on Nov 11...

Pages
I have a titel-textfield over a pic (headline) , text is black, background for text transparent. A second textfield should overlapp the first textline..... When i arrange the second field with the same settings like the first, the first text disappear... How can i do, that the second text overpapps the first, all over the pic. Any help appreciated! Thanks for replies! I am german and hope that the engish speaking people understand my problem! Soory! Gerd In article <611db9e2-b085-4fe5-907a-ca714b0c32dd@m74g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, hurlebaus <gerd.schenk@freenet.de> wrote: > I have a titel-textfield over a pic (headline) , text is black, > background for text transparent. > > A second textfield should overlapp the first textline..... > > When i arrange the second field with the same settings like the first, > the first text disappear... > > How can i do, that the second text overpapps the first, all over the > pic. > > Any help appreciated! Thanks for replies! I am german and hope that > the engish speaking people understand my problem! Soory! > > Gerd A couple of possibilities occur to me: Maybe the background of the second text field is not transparent. Maybe the the second text field is set as an object to cause wrap of other objects. You can determine that and change it in the Inspector window, in the Object pane. -- Bill Collins For email, change "fake" to "earthlink" ...

text 2 text

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Re: How to search list of particular text values into free text
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:02:45 -0400, SUBSCRIBE SAS-Nim Pat <Npp1129@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi All, >Please if anyone has idea about how to search particular list of text >values from one small table to free text variable in large dataset and >when finds the value, update the large dataset. >I have small lookup table (around 120 records) for example: >Category Types; > >Type_1 Mangos, >Type_1 Pineapples, >Type_2 Onions, >Type_2 Tomatoes, >… > >Type_n typeN. > > >Now I need to search each particular text values (variable-Types) from the >above small table into my large dataset which has free text variable >called “Order_details”. >For example: >Order_details: The last order was for the Mangos on Nov 11 2006. > > >I’m using following code but it’s not efficient: >PROC SQL; >Create table new_Main_Table AS >SELECT *, >Case >when Order_details contains (‘Mangos’) then “Type_1” >when Order_details contains (‘Pineapples’) then “Type_1” >when Order_details contains (‘Onions’) then “Type_2” >when Order_details contains (‘Tomatoes’) then “Type_2” >. >. >. >when Order_details contains (‘typeN’) then “Type_n” >Else “ “ >End As order_Types >From Main_table ; >Quit; >Run; > >Thanks for your time and help, >I really appreciate your effort, >Nim Guys Sorry for the Inconveniencies. I'm attaching sample table. my Small lookup table: Data SmallTAble ; Le...

What is "Text Display"? Text Display vs. Label
What is the difference between the text display vs label? They would seem to be different "objects" in Cadence?? I am not sure how to think about each of them. They both seem to be capable to have the same layer-purpose pair. I was also curious once I stream out my database to a gds if they both continue to retain a difference or if they both became text in gds. Just wondering, thanks for any insight. On Nov 6, 10:35 pm, vlsidesign <ford...@gmail.com> wrote: > What is the difference between the text display vs label? They would > seem to be different "objects" in Cadence?? A label is just a label, a stand-alone object. A text display is associated with another object, usually a pin. The usual use of a text display is to visually display the value of a pin name. -Jay- ...

Mouse changes when Tab label is Text[] vs normal text. Why?
Hello experts; This is not a big deal thing for me, I just was curios on what this behavior occur more than anything. If you enter the following command: TabView[{"1" -> 1, Style["2", FontSize -> 16] -> 2}] and then move the mouse over the Tab with '2' on it, and notice the mouse shape, you'll see it stays an arrow shape (standard on windoz). Now if you enter this command instead: TabView[{"1" -> 1, Text[Style["2", FontSize -> 16]] -> 2}] and do the same, you'll notice that the mouse, when it is ...

Re: How to search list of particular text values into free text #3
This one may not be efficient when look up table are big, but at least it saves your typing: proc sql; create table xx as select distinct a.srno,a.order_details, max(case when a.order_details contains trim(b.types) then b.types else '' end) as btype from large_table a, smalltable b group by a.srno order by a.srno ; proc print; run; Srno Order_details btype 1 The order of Mangos .. Mangos 10 Retured all Potatoes .. Potatoes 2 The returned order .. Mangos 3 Order for the Oranges .. Oranges 4 new container for the Onions .. Onions 5 Boxes of Grapes received .. Grapes 6 Almonds boxes received .. Almonds 7 Dry fruits received on last .. Dry fruits 8 Spinach were tossed out .. Spinach 9 Begs of Potatoes received .. Potatoes On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:29:55 -0400, SUBSCRIBE SAS-Nim Pat <Npp1129@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:02:45 -0400, SUBSCRIBE SAS-Nim Pat ><Npp1129@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>Hi All, >>Please if anyone has idea about how to search particular list of text >>values from one small table to free text variable in large dataset and >>when finds the value, update the large dataset. >>I have small lookup table (around 120 records) for example: >>Category Types; >> >>Type_1 Mangos, >>Type_1 Pine...

Re: How to search list of particular text values into free text #2
Sorry, there was a minor error, b.types should be b.category: proc sql; create table xx as select distinct a.srno,a.order_details, max(case when a.order_details contains trim(b.types) then b.category else '' end) as btype from large_table a, smalltable b group by a.srno order by a.srno ; proc print; run; Srno Order_details btype 1 The order of Mangos .. Type_1 10 Retured all Potatoes.. Type_2 2 The returned order .. Type_1 3 Order for the Oranges .. Type_1 4 new container for the Onions .. Type_2 5 Boxes of Grapes received .. Type_1 6 Almonds boxes received .. Type_3 7 Dry fruits received on .. Type_4 8 Spinach were tossed out .. Type_2 9 Begs of Potatoes .. Type_2 On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:27:45 -0400, Ya Huang <ya.huang@AMYLIN.COM> wrote: >This one may not be efficient when look up table are big, >but at least it saves your typing: > >proc sql; >create table xx as >select distinct a.srno,a.order_details, >max(case when a.order_details contains trim(b.types) then b.types else '' >end) as btype >from large_table a, smalltable b >group by a.srno >order by a.srno >; > >proc print; >run; > >Srno Order_details btype > > 1 The order of Mangos .. Mangos > 10 Retured all Potatoes .. Potatoes > 2 The returned o...

Search a Text-String for two possible outputs result strings embedded in the text.
I am trying to search a string that outputs result as "Sucess" or "Failure". I am configuring a device using command prompt, and I get a text based result as shown on the front panel after the configuration has been done successfully, namely the following: &nbsp; C:\SHOAB\HCE-ME_Functional_Tester\LABVIEW_DEVELOPMENT\DIGI-ME-FCT\ConfigLoad&gt;connectprog /upload /destip=192.168.192.211 /config=C:\SHOAB\HCE-ME_Functional_Tester\LABVIEW_DEVELOPMENT\DIGI-ME-FCT\ConfigLoad\ME211Prod.rci /username=root /password=dbps /reboot Digi Connect ProgrammerVersion 1.3.19.0Copyright 2003-2005 Digi International Inc. Device foundConnect to device: SUCCESSRead configuration file: SUCCESSUpload configuration C:\SHOAB\HCE-ME_Functional_Tester\LABVIEW_DEVELOPMENT\DIGI-ME-FCT\ConfigLoad\ME211Prod.rci: SUCCESS: Some settings may require a reboot.Reboot device: SUCCESS &nbsp; I need to make sure that the device returned a "SUCCESS" in the three areas as highlighted in RED above. For this task, in the block diagram as you will see, I am trying to search for the three "Success" confirmations from the device (highlighted in RED above). I am not able to find any help on how to search for a string of characters, that could be either success or some other text. &nbsp; Can someone throw some light on it, as the LABVIEW help files do not explain in depth if there is a way to search for a string that can vary. Although there exists a similar example on...

Best text search for many Gigabyte Database?
I have a so big DB, It's about 10-100GB of text. Now I want to create a searching function but It take too long when I use LIKE from MySQL Anyone know the best sollution? Can I use Google Desktop search or an others? Please help! ngocviet wrote: > I have a so big DB, It's about 10-100GB of text. > Now I want to create a searching function but It take too long when I > use LIKE from MySQL > Anyone know the best sollution? > Can I use Google Desktop search or an others? > Please help! If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST(). Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed, but using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable. Check your mySQL documentation for details. Regards, Erwin Moller > If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST(). > Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed, but > using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable. > Check your mySQL documentation for details. I've tried FULLTEXT but it take too long, about over 10 seconds with 1.2 Gigabyte table. If need, I can convert database to other structure. ngocviet wrote: > >> If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST(). >> Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed, >> but using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable. >> Check your mySQL documentation for details. > > I've tried FULLTEXT but ...

Usability of indexes vs full-text search
Can anyone point me to recent (last two years?) usability studies comparing conventional indexes to full-text search in terms of the ease and accuracy of retrieving information? The field of information retrieval probably has some relevant research though I'm not sure what you mean by "conventional indexes"? Try Googling for TREC (Text REtrieval Conference) and associated research. AJS. "Alan J. Salmoni" <salmoni@gmail.com> wrote: >The field of information retrieval probably has some relevant research >though I'm not sure what you mea...

Text File vs Database reading performance
Hello, I have developped an application that is doing some "backtesting" on market data. I have a serie of text files that contain data, one meaningful data per line. my app opens the file, reads a line, process it, reads the next one, process it, and so on. each file is around 50,000 lines long, and I have more than 200 files (and growing). the whole processing is taking quite some time, and I'm trying to find ways to make it faster. I chose the "file" way a while ago when I was lazy and the "speed" problem had not appeared yet. however, I know I/O is one important thing to look at if I want to improve performances. especially, I'm thinking wouldn't that be faster to go through a Database ? enter all my data in a DB once, and access the DB with JDBC. has any of you any comment to make on ways to make things faster, and on the Database performance especially ? or is my file solution good enough ? thanks for your insight... -Antoine Please don't double post. See c.l.j.p for answer. robert ...

Can I use SAS to search and replace a piece of text in, say, 1000 text files?
How can I use SAS to search and replace a piece of text in, say, 1000 text files? Thanks for letting me know. Toby ...

aligning text and image-text
I use a program to make Email addresses harder for spammers to harvest. It converts them to slightly blurred images using http://mindprod.com/products1.html#MASKER When I embed them in text, I have figured out how to get them to align naturally with the surrounding text, but the browser inserts extra inter-line spacing above the line containing the image. You can see the effect at http://mindprod.com/book/books.html at the bottom of the page where it says: "Please email your feedback for publication, letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambig...

Web resources about - Database vs Text for text search - comp.lang.perl.misc

How The NFL Adds Mojo To Media With Database Marketing
The National Football League (NFL) customer database is about as diverse as it gets. Segments span season ticket holders, a millennial parent ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...

Crate Raises $4M for New Container Database Technology
The founder of Docker Inc. invests in new technology that provides a very different and very distributed way to build a container database.