Error upon Error...

anyone seen this error before:

> Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DB_File/DB_File.sl' for module DB_File: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/XSLoader.pm line 83.
>  at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/DB_File.pm line 236

I'm just trying to run this script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use DB_File;

print "Hello World!\n"

all three of the files exist on the system....why is it saying this.
(there are a few scripts that I have that want to use DB_File and they
all say this.... that's why I just use this simple script above for
error diagnosis)

rab
0
unix
7/17/2003 2:29:45 PM
comp.lang.perl.misc 33233 articles. 1 followers. brian (1246) is leader. Post Follow

>     rab> anyone seen this error before:
> This does look puzzling.  If the files truly exist, could there be a
> permission issue with DB_File.sl?  It could be the result of a bad
> install, so you might try re-installing the DB_File modules.
>
> Good luck to you,
>
> --Ethan Brown
> --Keyboards: "The Fabulous Pelicans" (www.pelicans.com)
> --In a band?  Use http://www.WheresTheGig.com for free.

Ethan....Thanks for the response.  Checked the permissions...but they
were all fine.

I'm afraid that reinstalling is even more difficult.   I wouldn't even
know where to begin trying to get rid of all the complaints from gcc.

I got this copy of Perl from a port to HPUX site.

thanks though.
0
unix
7/17/2003 5:34:27 PM
unix@att.com (rab) wrote in message news:<9bb5fc.0307170934.23230501@posting.google.com>...

> >     rab> anyone seen this error before:

 [ apparent file not found loading a DLL ]

> > This does look puzzling.  If the files truly exist, could there be a
> > permission issue with DB_File.sl?  It could be the result of a bad
> > install, so you might try re-installing the DB_File modules.

> Ethan....Thanks for the response.  Checked the permissions...but they
> were all fine.
>
> I'm afraid that reinstalling is even more difficult.   I wouldn't even
> know where to begin trying to get rid of all the complaints from gcc.

Both thes possibly  point to the same underlying problem - you have a
problem with your compiler and/or it's associated libraires.  In many
architectures I believe the dl_ functions in the C RTL need to load
some soet of helper library before the library you've asked to load.
I suspect it is this library that's missing, incorrectly protected, or
in the wrong place.

Try doing a system-call trace to see what underlying system call it is
that is returning the error.  On some Unicies a system call trace is
called "strace".

> I got this copy of Perl from a port to HPUX site.
                                         ^^^^

How is that pronounced? :-)
0
nobull
7/19/2003 4:52:09 PM
rab wrote:

> anyone seen this error before:
>
> > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DB_File/DB_File.sl' for module DB_File: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/XSLoader.pm line 83.
> >  at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/DB_File.pm line 236
>
> I'm just trying to run this script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> use strict;
> use DB_File;
>
> print "Hello World!\n"
>
> all three of the files exist on the system....why is it saying this.
> (there are a few scripts that I have that want to use DB_File and they
> all say this.... that's why I just use this simple script above for
> error diagnosis)
>
> rab

DB_File module has not been installed correctly or there may be dependancies.
Ask your system administrator to re-install it.
0
Cat