Failed with exit code 65280.

Hi all,

I've had a look around but haven't managed to find any info on this
particular problem.  Maybe I was searching for the wrong stuff.
Anyway, I have a script that runs the flac and lame tools to convert
between FLAC and MP3.

Within the script the variable $convert_command contains the full
piped command with file pathnames etc.  This is called using system()
but it always fails with exit code 65280 and the warning, "Can't init
outfile 'my_outfile'".  However, when I run the same command from the
shell everything is fine and the file is written.  The destination is
writable by all.  There don't seem to be any permissions problems.
What am I missing?

Thanks.
0
lbo_user

lbo_user <shareef.jalloq@lightblueoptics.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a look around but haven't managed to find any info on this
> particular problem.  Maybe I was searching for the wrong stuff.
> Anyway, I have a script that runs the flac and lame tools to convert
> between FLAC and MP3.
>
> Within the script the variable $convert_command contains the full
> piped command with file pathnames etc.  This is called using system()
> but it always fails with exit code 65280 and the warning, "Can't init
> outfile 'my_outfile'".  However, when I run the same command from the
> shell everything is fine and the file is written.  The destination is
> writable by all.  There don't seem to be any permissions problems.
> What am I missing?

You are missing the Perl code that shows us what you are doing.

Xho

this fact.
0
xhoster
11/26/2007 4:48:43 PM
lbo_user <shareef.jalloq@lightblueoptics.com> writes:

> Within the script the variable $convert_command contains the full
> piped command with file pathnames etc.  This is called using system()
> but it always fails with exit code 65280 and the warning, "Can't init
> outfile 'my_outfile'".  However, when I run the same command from the
> shell everything is fine and the file is written.  The destination is
> writable by all.  There don't seem to be any permissions problems.
> What am I missing?

The error message isn't a Perl error - it's coming from the tools you're
calling. Without seeing your code it's difficult to do more than guess,
but one thing I would do is double-check the value of $convert_command,
to make absolutely certain it's right. With Perl and shells interpolating
variables into strings, and sharing many of the same escape sequences in
quoted string constants, that's an easy place for bugs to sneak in.

Also, the return value from system() isn't just the return value of the
called command; it's that, plus some other stuff. You need to jump through
a few hoops to get the actual exit status, as shown in "perldoc -f system":

    You can check all the failure possibilities by inspecting $? like this:

       if ($? == -1) {
           print "failed to execute: $!\n";
       }
       elsif ($? & 127) {
           printf "child died with signal %d, %s coredump\n",
               ($? & 127),  ($? & 128) ? 'with' : 'without';
       }
       else {
           printf "child exited with value %d\n", $? >> 8;
       }

Once you get the real exit code from the tool you're calling, then you can
find the meaning of that code (and the accompanying "Can't init" message)
in the tool's docs.

sherm--

--
WV News, Blogging, and Discussion: http://wv-www.com
Sherman

I'm running a script that transcodes FLAC to MP3 hence it calls both
the flac and lame executables with the relevant options and file
paths.  The script tries to create a mirrored directory structure of
the source flac tree.  You can get the code here:  http://robinbowes.com/projects/flac2mp3

I've been in touch with the author but he doesn't have an OS X machine
to test on.  It seems to work fine on Windows and possibly Linux.  If
you look at the script, the parts to search for are $convert_command
which is a concatenation of tools, arguments and paths, and the
variable $tmpfilename which is the temp destination filename that it
fails to write.

Having added Sherman's code to get the actual error, running the
script returns the following:

[macbaddy:~] sjalloq% flac2mp3.pl /Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/FLAC /Volumes/
FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new
Using flac from: /usr/local/bin/flac
Using lame from: /usr/local/bin/lame
Processing directory: /Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/FLAC
1546 flac files found. Sorting...
Sort complete.

Here is the source file info:
        src_base: 01-Young Black Male
        src_dir: ./
        src_ext: .flac
Transcoding "2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black Male.flac"

flac 1.1.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007
Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and
you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

Can't init outfile '/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/
OwbFwjqwWP.tmp'
child exited with value 255
"flac" --decode --stdout "2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black
Male.flac"| lame --noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/
MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/OwbFwjqwWP.tmp" failed with exit
code 65280
[macbaddy:~] sjalloq%
-1
lbo_user
11/27/2007 8:41:04 PM
052lbo_user wrote:

> Can't init outfile '/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/
> OwbFwjqwWP.tmp'
> child exited with value 255

Hu.. permission problem? Does the file exist?

> "flac" --decode --stdout "2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black
> Male.flac"| lame --noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/
> MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/OwbFwjqwWP.tmp"

That's the exact command that's executed?

"flac" --decode ...
^    ^ ?????

And it works perfectly when you run it from the command line?

Run the flac command, redirect output to a file, maybe there's
something in there?  If that works, then redirect that file
to the lame command.  If there's a verbose option to those,
then try that.

It's not a perl problem, so focus on something else.

On 27 Nov, 21:06, "J. Gleixner" <glex_no-s...@qwest-spam-no.invalid>
wrote:

> Hu.. permission problem? Does the file exist?

Not a permissions problem.  The destination directory is readable and
writable by all.  I can touch a file without any problems.

> > "flac" --decode --stdout "2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black
> > Male.flac"| lame --noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/
> > MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/OwbFwjqwWP.tmp"
>
> That's the exact command that's executed?
>
> "flac" --decode ...
> ^    ^ ?????
>
> And it works perfectly when you run it from the command line?

Yes, that's the exact command.  The script changes directory to the
source directory, so when I run it directly on the command line I just
need to add the source path as follows:

[macbaddy:~] sjalloq% "flac" --decode --stdout "/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/
FLAC/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black Male.flac"| lame --
noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/
2Pacalypse Now/1jvGmLGt0G.tmp"

flac 1.1.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007
Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and
you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

LAME 3.97 32bits (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 18671 Hz - 19205 Hz
Encoding <stdin>
      to /Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/
1jvGmLGt0G.tmp
Encoding as 44.1 kHz VBR(q=2) j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (ca. 7.3x)
qval=3
01-Young Black Male.flac: done
[macbaddy:~] sjalloq%

And that completes without any problems also.

Ta.
-1
lbo_user
11/27/2007 9:11:43 PM
lbo_user <shareef.jalloq@lightblueoptics.com> writes:

> Having added Sherman's code to get the actual error

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it's not my code - I just copied it
from "perldoc -f system". :-)

> Can't init outfile '/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/
> OwbFwjqwWP.tmp'
> child exited with value 255

That error message is from flac, not Perl. Did you ask the flac author what
it means?

sherm--

--
WV News, Blogging, and Discussion: http://wv-www.com
Sherman
11/27/2007 9:50:53 PM
lbo_user wrote:
> On 27 Nov, 21:06, "J. Gleixner" <glex_no-s...@qwest-spam-no.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Hu.. permission problem? Does the file exist?
>>

> Not a permissions problem.  The destination directory is readable and
> writable by all.  I can touch a file without any problems.
>
>>> "flac" --decode --stdout "2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black
>>> Male.flac"| lame --noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/
>>> MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/OwbFwjqwWP.tmp"
>> That's the exact command that's executed?
>>
>> "flac" --decode ...
>> ^    ^ ?????
>>
>> And it works perfectly when you run it from the command line?
>>

> Yes, that's the exact command.  The script changes directory to the
> source directory, so when I run it directly on the command line I just
> need to add the source path as follows:

And you're sure it changes directory?

What if you go to /tmp, or something, and run it with --stdout
"blah/abc.flac"   (e.g. the file doesn't exist.)

Maybe you should show us the code.  Simplify it, test it, and post it,
because if it runs via command line, it'll run via system, so you
obviously are doing something that's not quite right.

> [macbaddy:~] sjalloq% "flac" --decode --stdout "/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/
> FLAC/2Pac/2Pacalypse Now/01-Young Black Male.flac"| lame --
> noreplaygain --preset standard - "/Volumes/FreeNAS/MEDIA/MP3_new/2Pac/
> 2Pacalypse Now/1jvGmLGt0G.tmp"

You're not proving anything there. Change to the directory, you
think your program is changing to, and run the exact command
you posted as your program's output.  Either that or use
the full path in your program, to ensure the path or CWD
isn't a problem.

Also, you don't need the double quotes around flac.
> You're not proving anything there. Change to the directory, you
> think your program is changing to, and run the exact command
> you posted as your program's output.  Either that or use
> the full path in your program, to ensure the path or CWD
> isn't a problem.
>
> Also, you don't need the double quotes around flac.

OK, agreed.  The quotes are from the original author and I removed
them from "lame" but not from flac.  I've been hacking and not keeping
up.

I'll see if I confirm which directory it is being executed in.

Thanks.
0
lbo_user
11/27/2007 11:13:49 PM
OK, so I've got to the bottom of the problem and it's not what I would
have thought.  The directory paths were all fine but when I changed
the script to use an intermediate temp file instead of using the pipe
it all started working.

The original code was:

  my $convert_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\"" . " |
$lamecmd @lameargs - \"$tmpfilename\"";
  system($convert_command);

which bailed with the error above.  However, if I changed it to:

  my $flacoutname = $tmpfilename . "_tmp";
  my $flac_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\" -o
\"$flacoutname\"";
  my $lame_command = "$lamecmd @lameargs \"$flacoutname\"
\"$tmpfilename\"";
  system($flac_command);
  system($lame_command);
  unlink $flacoutname;

everything was fine.  What is it about that concatenation with the
pipe command that is wrong when used within Perl's system?
0
lbo_user
11/28/2007 12:10:20 AM
Right, I must apologise, it's late and I'm not thinking straight.
Ignore my last post as I have found the real reason this time.  I'm
using a FreeNAS server which doesn't seem to like me reading and
writing to it at the same time.  If I run the original script and
stream from the FreeNAS to my local machine everything is fine.  If I
stream from AND try to write to the FreeNAS it barfs.

Definitely not a Perl problem, but thanks for all the help.
0
lbo_user
11/28/2007 12:38:32 AM
lbo_user wrote:

> OK, so I've got to the bottom of the problem and it's not what I would
> have thought.  The directory paths were all fine but when I changed
> the script to use an intermediate temp file instead of using the pipe
> it all started working.
>
> The original code was:
>
>   my $convert_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\"" . " |
> $lamecmd @lameargs - \"$tmpfilename\"";
>   system($convert_command);
>
> which bailed with the error above.  However, if I changed it to:
>
>   my $flacoutname = $tmpfilename . "_tmp";
>   my $flac_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\" -o
> \"$flacoutname\"";
>   my $lame_command = "$lamecmd @lameargs \"$flacoutname\"
> \"$tmpfilename\"";
>   system($flac_command);
>   system($lame_command);
>   unlink $flacoutname;
>
> everything was fine.  What is it about that concatenation with the
> pipe command that is wrong when used within Perl's system?

When you use a piped stream perl's system() invokes a shell to (parse
and) run the command(s).  Without the pipe the command(s) are run
without a shell.

John
--
use Perl;
program
Quoth "John W. Krahn" <krahnj@telus.net>:
> lbo_user wrote:
> >
> > OK, so I've got to the bottom of the problem and it's not what I would
> > have thought.  The directory paths were all fine but when I changed
> > the script to use an intermediate temp file instead of using the pipe
> > it all started working.
> >
> > The original code was:
> >
> >   my $convert_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\"" . " |
> > $lamecmd @lameargs - \"$tmpfilename\"";
> >   system($convert_command);
> >
> > which bailed with the error above.  However, if I changed it to:
> >
> >   my $flacoutname = $tmpfilename . "_tmp";
> >   my $flac_command = "$flaccmd @flacargs \"$quotedsrc\" -o
> > \"$flacoutname\"";
> >   my $lame_command = "$lamecmd @lameargs \"$flacoutname\"
> > \"$tmpfilename\"";
> >   system($flac_command);
> >   system($lame_command);
> >   unlink $flacoutname;
> >
> > everything was fine.  What is it about that concatenation with the
> > pipe command that is wrong when used within Perl's system?
>
> When you use a piped stream perl's system() invokes a shell to (parse
> and) run the command(s).  Without the pipe the command(s) are run
> without a shell.

" counts as a shell metacharacter (perl doesn't want to try to
understand your shell's quoting rules) and will still cause perl to use
the shell. Since avoiding the shell is usually a good thing, this
example would be better written

    system @$_ for
        [$flaccmd, @flacargs, $quotedsrc, -o => $flacoutname],
        [$lamecmd, @lameargs, $flacoutname, $tmpfilename];

having first made sure that there is no quoting of the parameters:
$quotedsrc, for instance, sounds like it's been quoted (:)), and mustn't
be.

Ben

0
Ben

exit code in perl
How do you implement exit codes in perl? Many Thanks and Kind Regards David djb@global.net.mt wrote in news:1120857744.351097.254020 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > How do you implement exit codes in perl? perldoc -f exit You are expected to read the documentation before posting. Sinan -- A. Sinan Unur <1usa@llenroc.ude.invalid> (reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address) comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW: http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html On 2005-07-08, djb@global.net.mt scribbled these curious markings: > How ...

deisng perl perl programmibng langs in perl
then liberate big war zones with notes on their download pages. -r www.thevoid1.net/ ...

gtar failed with exit code 1
Hi, I try to install ingres 2.6 SP2 on Unixware 7.13. Running install/ingbuild as user ingres will start to unpack the files, but suddenly, I get error messages like this: gtar failed with exit code 1 Unable to delete directory. Return code: 1 Post to lock : the solution is chmod 777 /tmp Strange because usually it�s 777, and here it was 775 8O -- Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/Ingres-gtar-failed-exit-code-ftopict232822.html ...

how do you return an exit code with out exiting
I wrote a simple python program that scrapes a web page every 30 secons and dumps the result in a data base. I want to use my linux distros build in init tools to run the script in the back ground as a daemon. The problem is when I call the daemon script to background the program I wrote it just hangs, waiting for my program to exit 1 or 0. My program never does exits because its looping every 30 seconds. Is there a way I can pass an exit value with out actualy exiting? or is there are better way to do this? Thanks -- Matthew Thorley On 2005-05-23, Matthew Thorley <ruach@chpc.utah.edu>...

[Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C6FDBA.954FD7E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all, I tried to install Ingres 2.6sp1 and 2.6sp2 on Mandriva-Linux 2006. In both cases I get the following errors when I attempt to run install/ingbuild: gtar failed with exit code 2 /bin/tar: .: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted /bin/tar: .: Cannot change mode to rwxrwxr-x: Operation not permitted /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors This occurs when atte...

why does close() fail miserably on popen with exit code -1 ?!
i ran onto this weirdness today: seems like close() on popen-ed (pseudo)file fails miserably with exception instead of returning exit code, when said exit code is -1. here is the simplest example (under Windows): >>> print popen('exit 1').close() 1 >>> print popen('exit -1').close() Traceback (most recent call last): File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ? IOError: (0, 'Error') >>> print popen('exit -2').close() -2 has anyone have idea why is that? - nas Atanas Banov: >i ran onto this weirdness today: seems ...

How to stop perl from exiting when stat($_)->size fails
In my script I fetch the filesize with stat($_)->size from File::stat. Occasionally it fails although the file exists, and perl exits with this error on STDERR: Can't call method "size" on an undefined value at myscript.pl line 7. I don't want the script to exit, instead I want to ignore the "bad" file and continue with the next file. I have tried to do tests on file-existence BEFORE the stat->size is executed, to prevent perl from exiting, but nothing seems to work. use File::stat ...... if ((-e $_) && (-r $_) && ($st = stat($_)) { $by...

error "copyplist failed with exit code 127"
Morning everyone, I'm not a ruby developer (using XCode) but facing an error which is coming from the ruby file "copyplist " locate under : /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copylyst The entire error message is : [code] sh: plutil: command not found Command /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/copyplist failed with exit code 127 [/code] If needed I can provide you with the whole copylist code but here's the lines that call "plutil" word: [code] system('plutil -...

RE: [Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 1
/tmp has rwxrwxrwxt on various unix flavours I deal with. The t - sticky bit allows the owner of files to delete only their own files. -----Original Message----- From: calibrav6 [mailto:UseLinkToEmail@dbForumz.com] Sent: Friday, 17 June 2005 8:36 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 1 Hi, I try to install ingres 2.6 SP2 on Unixware 7.13. Running install/ingbuild as user ingres will start to unpack the files, but suddenly, I get error messages like this: gtar failed with exit code 1 Unable to delete directory. Return code: ...

ORA-27369: job of type EXECUTABLE failed with exit code: Permission denied
Hi I was trying to set up a test job in Enterprise manager and I got this error when it tried running the script. I've created the script on a RAC cluster . It contains the following: #!/bin/ksh .. /oracle/.kshrc env >> /tmp/t.txt which sqlplus >> /tmp/t.txt sqlplus scott/abc@ORACLE123<<-! set serveroutput on size 1000000 select 'Hello World' from dual / ! I've ran this successfully via the command line. Could someone advise as to what I am missing or did wrong? I had a look at metalink and check the points given there but I seem...

When will exit(0) fail to exit?
My program is about several thousands lines. It takes arguements from the command line. If no arguement is given, it should simply exist. Below is the architectureof main() : int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { if( argc == 1 ) { cout << "NO ARGUEMENT"<<endl; exit(0); } //Other parts of the code return 0; //LastLine } It also links with other libraries. If no arguement is given on command line, it only outputs "NO ARGUEMENT", then hangs there. The exit(0) can not exit. Why exit(0) fails to exit from main()? If I give cor...

When will exit(0) fail to exit?
My program is about several thousands lines. It takes arguements from the command line. If no arguement is given, it should simply exist. Below is the architectureof main() : int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { if( argc == 1 ) { printf("NO ARGUEMENT\n"); exit(0); } //Other parts of the code } It also links with other libraries. If no arguement is given on command line, it only outputs "NO ARGUEMENT", then hangs there. The exit(0) can not exit. Why exit(0) fails to exit from main()? Thanks. Jack wrote: > My program is about several th...

Getting ORA-27369: job of type EXECUTABLE failed with exit code: Permission denied
Hi I was trying to set up a test job in Enterprise manager and I got this error when it tried running the script. I've created the script on a RAC cluster . It contains the following: #!/bin/ksh .. /oracle/.kshrc env >> /tmp/t.txt which sqlplus >> /tmp/t.txt sqlplus scott/tiger1@PINFRA <<-! set serveroutput on size 1000000 select 'Hello World' from dual / ! I've ran this successfully via the command line. Could someone advise as to what I am missing or did wrong? I had a look at metalink and check the points given there but I...

Exit code of a batch (using exit /B)
Hi, group java 1.4.2, windows xp professional With test.bat like this: @echo Hi @exit -15 I run it with String execArgs[]={"test.bat"}; Runtime.getRuntime().exec(execArgs[]); .... Read OutputStream and close .... Read ErrorStream and close int code = p.waitFor(); And the returned code is Ok (-15). Using @echo Hi @exit /B -15 The returned code is always 0. I've tried using String execArgs[] = {"cmd","/C","test.bat"}; But the result is the same... Searched in google and in the newsgroup, but I haven't found the reason yet. Has anybody com...

Web resources about - Failed with exit code 65280. - comp.lang.perl.misc

Failed States (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ Andrews, Alex (August 31, 2012). "Album: Propagandhi - Failed States" . Thrash Hits . Retrieved September 28, 2012 . ^ Okorley, Dre (September ...

The President's Speech Distorts the Truth to Distract From His Failed Record - Facebook
Paul Ryan hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel The President's Speech Distorts the Truth to Distract From His Failed Record geschrieben. Du kannst den ...

Facebook’s Failed Privacy PR Campaign Against Google: An Industry Practice, Poorly Done
In a spectacularly failed attempt at undermining the competition, Facebook has admitted that it hired public relations giant Burson-Marsteller ...

My own spin on the story du jour: Why The Daily failed.
My own spin on the story du jour: Why The Daily failed.

Authorization Failed - LinkedIn
Sorry you are not authorized to perform this action. To find out more please contact LinkedIn customer service .

Business Models : What consumer Internet companies had a large number of users but failed to monetize ...
Answer (1 of 46): I can't think of one. All the companies mentioned here either: a) *Did* have significant revenues: * Netscape (the same ...

Why "Global Warming" Failed & Why Climate Change is Real - YouTube
CLIMATE CHANGE IS VERY REAL - BUT THE OFFICIALS HAVE JEOPARDIZED OUR ABILITY TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE Global warming models/predictions have ...

Hotel defends claim it failed to protect staffer in rape case
... has been cleared to file for damages against her former employer in Fujairah. A hotel has defended itself against allegations that it failed ...

Melbourne student’s failed get-rich-quick scheme costs classmates
A student at&nbsp;one of Melbourne's elite private schools has allegedly fleeced up to $185,000 from classmates in a failed&nbsp;get-rich-quick&nbsp;scheme. ...