FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #6

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6?

    (contributed by brian d foy)

    In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the
    future.

    The number after perl (i.e. the 5 after Perl 5) is the major release of
    the perl interpreter as well as the version of the language. Each major
    version has significant differences that earlier versions cannot
    support.

    The current major release of Perl is Perl 5, and was released in 1994.
    It can run scripts from the previous major release, Perl 4 (March 1991),
    but has significant differences. It introduced the concept of
    references, complex data structures, and modules. The Perl 5 interpreter
    was a complete re-write of the previous perl sources.

    Perl 6 is the next major version of Perl, but it's still in development
    in both its syntax and design. The work started in 2002 and is still
    ongoing. Many of the most interesting features have shown up in the
    latest versions of Perl 5, and some Perl 5 modules allow you to use some
    Perl 6 syntax in your programs. You can learn more about Perl 6 at
    http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ .

    See perlhist for a history of Perl revisions.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.
0
brian125 (4408)

PerlFAQ Server wrote:
> This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which
> comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to
> reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community
> to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete
> perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

> 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6?
>
>    (contributed by brian d foy)
>
>    In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is
>    the future.

With all the wonderful developments I see going on with Perl 5 (5.10.0
has a few features, like given/when that were destined for Perl 6), I'm
left wondering if we really need Perl 6. I'm all for the better of
things for the future, but it seems to me Perl 5, especially with the
dawn of 5.10.0, is really holding it's own.

The new features (and I love how you can turn only specific things on,
or turn them all on) are great - I smiled practically all the way
through Perl 5.10.0's perldelata - so I really can't imagine Perl 6
being much better than what Perl 5 has evolved into (and to top it off
it's still pure Perl) :-)

--
szr

0
szr
4/18/2008 5:55:16 PM
szr schreef:

> I really can't imagine Perl 6
> being much better than what Perl 5 has evolved into (and to top it off
> it's still pure Perl) :-)

I don't think you understand what Perl 6 is about.

A problem is that they called it Perl again, because it is quite a
different beast. I would have liked a different name, like Onion.

One of the things that Perl 6 will stand out in is parallellism, which
is important to get the most out of your 32 cores.
http://dev.perl.org/perl6/doc/design/syn/S03.html

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

0
Dr

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #4
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? (contributed by brian d foy) In short, Pelr 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the future. The number after perl (i.e. the 5 after Perl 5) is the major release of the perl interpreter as well as the version of the language. Each major version has significant differences that earlier versions cannot support. The current major release of Perl is Perl 5, and was released in 1994. It can run scripts from the previous major release, perl4 (March 1991), but has significant differences. It introduced the concept of references, complex data structures, and modules. The Perl 5 interpreter was a complete re-write of the previous perl sources. Perl 6 is the next major version of Perl, but it's still in development in both its syntax and design. The work started in 2002 and is still ongoing. Many of the most interesting features have shown up in the latest versions of Perl 5, and some Perl 5 modules allow you to use some Perl 6 syntax in your programs. You can learn more about Perl 6 at...

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #5
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? (contributed by brian d foy) In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the future. The number after perl (i.e. the 5 after Perl 5) is the major release of the perl interpreter as well as the version of the language. Each major version has significant differences that earlier versions cannot support. The current major release of Perl is Perl 5, and was released in 1994. It can run scripts from the previous major release, Perl 4 (March 1991), but has significant differences. It introduced the concept of references, complex data structures, and modules. The Perl 5 interpreter was a complete re-write of the previous perl sources. Perl 6 is the next major version of Perl, but it's still in development in both its syntax and design. The work started in 2002 and is still ongoing. Many of the most interesting features have shown up in the latest versions of Perl 5, and some Perl 5 modules allow you to use some Perl 6 syntax in your programs. You can learn more about Perl 6 a...

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #8
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #11
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #19
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? (contributed by brian d foy) In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the future. The number after Perl (i.e. the 5 after Perl 5) is the major release of the perl interpreter as well as the version of the language. Each major version has significant differences that earlier versions cannot support. The current major release of Perl is Perl 5, and was first released in 1994. It can run scripts from the previous major release, Perl 4 (March 1991), but has significant differences. It introduced the concept of references, complex data structures, and modules. The Perl 5 interpreter was a complete re-write of the previous perl sources. Perl 6 is the next major version of Perl, although it's not intended to replace Perl 5. It's still in development in both its syntax and design. The work started in 2002 and is still ongoing. Some of the most interesting features have shown up in the latest versions of Perl 5, and some Perl 5 modules allow you to use some Perl 6 syntax...

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #17
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #7
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #15
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? 434527
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? (contributed by brian d foy) In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the future. The number after perl (i.e. the 5 after P...

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #13
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #16
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? 283187
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.4: What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? (contributed by brian d foy) In short, Perl 4 is the past, Perl 5 is the present, and Perl 6 is the future. The number after perl (i.e. the 5 after P...

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #10
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #14
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #18
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #12
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #9
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #3 1202970
[...]

FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #2 1202592
[...]

FAQ 1.6 What is Perl 6? #4
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.6: What is Perl 6? At The Second O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention, Larry Wall announced Perl 6 development would begin in earnest. Perl 6 was an oft used term for Chip Salzenberg's project to rewrite Perl in C++ named Topaz. However, Topaz provided valuable insights to the next version of Perl and its implementation, but was ultimately abandoned. If you want to learn more about Perl 6, or have a desire to help in the crusade to make Perl a better place then peruse the Perl 6 developers page at http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ and get involved. Perl 6 is not scheduled for release yet, and Perl 5 will still be supported for quite awhile after its release. Do not wait for Perl 6 to do whatever you need to do. "We're really serious about reinventing everything that needs reinventing." --Larry Wall -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily experts in every domain where Perl might show up, so please include as mu...

Install Perl 5.8.7 i386 for ImageMagick-perl-6.2.4-5.i386
Hi. I want to install ImageMagick-perl-6.2.4-5.i386.rpm which requires Perl 5.8.7. I found perl-5.8.7-4.i586.rpm with size 12 MB, and tried. It created /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux-thread-multi directory, but it didn't work. And I found perl-5.8.7-4.i386.rpm with size only 36K. This perl-5.8.7-4.i386.rpm needs several other packages. I installed all the dependent packages, but it won't create /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux-thread-multi which is required by ImageMagick-perl-6.2.4-5. Is there a BIG package called perl-5.8.7-?.i386.rpm ? Thank you for your he...

FAQ 4.18 Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? #6
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.18: Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? Short answer: No, Perl does not have a Year 2000 problem. Yes, Perl is Y2K compliant (whatever that means). The programmers you've hired to use ...

FAQ 4.18 Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? #6 226615
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.18: Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? Short answer: No, Perl does not have a Year 2000 problem. Yes, Perl is Y2K compliant (whatever that means). The programmers you've hired to use ...

FAQ 4.18 Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? #6 427498
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.18: Does Perl have a Year 2000 problem? Is Perl Y2K compliant? Short answer: No, Perl does not have a Year 2000 problem. Yes, Perl is Y2K compliant (whatever that means). The programmers you've hire...

Web resources about - FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? #6 - comp.lang.perl.misc

Carly Fiorina To Media: How About We Stop Dancing To Trump’s Tune And Focus On Real Issues
[guest post by Dana] Carly Fiorina is at her best when she is passionate and angry about an issue that she cares deeply about. And today that ...

Apple responds to FBI iPhone hack: ‘This case should never have been brought’
Following the withdrawal of a court order for Apple to help crack the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone after the FBI said it had managed to unlock ...

NC Governor: Backlash Over Anti-LGBT Law is ‘Well-Coordinated Political Theater’ – WATCH
North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory sat down for an interview with NBC News and didn’t show any concern over the backlash his state is facing ...

Jon Jones Gets 5 Tickets For Alleged Drag Racing, Goes Off On Police Officer
UFC fighter Jon Jones did not take the fact that he was receiving five tickets very well after being stopped by a police officer recently. MMA ...

Pakistan: Dozens of young lives lost in Lahore blast
CNN Pakistan: Dozens of young lives lost in Lahore blast CNN (CNN) It was a treat for passing their exams. Twelve-year-old Sahil and his cousin ...

Ryan Reynolds Plays Up ‘Batman V Superman’ And ‘Deadpool’ Rivalry On Instagram
Ryan Reynolds, the star of Deadpool , took advantage of the opening weekend of Batman V Superman to promote his own film. Seeling how Batman ...

Oculus Rift Launch Day News: New AMD & NVIDIA Drivers; Async Timewarp & Platform Restrictions Added To ...
After just over three and a half years and a Facebook acquisition in between, Oculus’s first-generation Rift headset is launching today. We took ...

Idina Menzel Sings National Anthem at White House Easter Egg Roll
Barack and Michelle Obama keep their hands over their hearts as Idina Menzel sings the National Anthem during the annual White House Easter Egg ...

California proposal for state-run retirement plan for private-sector workers moves forward
California has taken a step closer to becoming the first state to make retirement savings accounts a near-universal benefit for workers with ...

Mississippi looks at bringing back the firing squad
All across the country we’re seeing legal battles taking place in legislatures and courtrooms over the idea of either ending capital punishment ...