Perl PDF modules - help please

Hi all.

I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template
file and output a new PDF file.

I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates
for where the text should appear.  What I want, instead, is to be able
to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text.

Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this?  Or any
other way of doing it?

--
Best wishes,

Geoff Wilkins
GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk
0
Geoff

Geoff Wilkins wrote:
> Hi all.

Do not multi-post!

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
>Geoff Wilkins wrote:
>> Hi all.
>
>Do not multi-post!
>
>http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

Thanks Gunnar.  I hope someone else can be more helpful.

--
Best wishes,

Geoff Wilkins
GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk
0
Geoff
8/11/2004 2:17:59 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:17:59 +0100,
	Geoff Wilkins <GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <2nui85F4th3dU1@uni-berlin.de>, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
><noreply@gunnar.cc> writes
>>Geoff Wilkins wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>
>>Do not multi-post!
>>
>>http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
>
> Thanks Gunnar.  I hope someone else can be more helpful.

After that reply I very much doubt it...

--
Sam Holden
0
Geoff Wilkins wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson writes:
>> Do not multi-post!
>>
>> http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
>
> Thanks Gunnar.  I hope someone else can be more helpful.

By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of the
netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Geoff Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson writes:
>>
>>> Do not multi-post!
>>>
>>> http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
>>
>> Thanks Gunnar.  I hope someone else can be more helpful.
>
> By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of the
> netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.

How petty! People make mistakes. And sometimes people just don't agree
with the convention. That does not make them unworthy of assistance.

--
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.
0
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of
>> the netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.
>
> How petty!

So?

> People make mistakes.

Of course. And if followed by a simple "sorry, didn't know that" or
something to that effect, no sensible person would mind.

> And sometimes people just don't agree with the convention. That
> does not make them unworthy of assistance.

Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits unworthy
of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould have been able
to assist.

This is Usenet. Learn to behave yourself here, or go elsewhere. ;-)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> How petty! People make mistakes. And sometimes people just don't agree
> with the convention. That does not make them unworthy of assistance.

If you want people to help you then it behoves you to 'fit in', so to speak.

Think of it as the price of other peoples time and effort that you are asking for.
0
Peter
8/11/2004 4:20:14 PM
"Geoff Wilkins" <GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template
> file and output a new PDF file.
>
> I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates
> for where the text should appear.  What I want, instead, is to be able
> to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text.
>
> Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this?  Or any
> other way of doing it?

In the "Or any other way ..." category:

1. Use Acrobat's Form Tool to add form fields to your PDF file in the places
where you'd like the text to appear.
2. Using Acrobat, add "action" buttons to your form, e.g., Clear Form,
Submit Form Data, Import Form Data.
3. By any means you wish, e.g., a Perl script, generate an FDF (Forms Data
Format) file with the text you wish to place in the corresponding form
fields of your PDF file.
4. Use the Import Form Data button in 2 above to import the FDF file's form
data into your PDF.

You need the full distribution of Acrobat to create fillable forms. Acrobat
Reader is sufficient for forms that are already fillable.

See http://segraves.tripod.com/index3.htm for samples of how this is done.
To see the format of an FDF file, submit a blank form to the HTML version of
the sample form, save the returned data as a text file, and open said file
in your favorite text editor.

Although no modules at all are required to do this (generation of an FDF
file), note that you'll find CGI.pm to be useful. With Perl and CGI.pm, you
should be able to write a script to generate FDF files in about six lines of
code.

--
Bill Segraves

0
Bill
8/11/2004 5:04:54 PM

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>
>>> By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of
>>> the netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.
>>
>> And sometimes people just don't agree with the convention. That
>> does not make them unworthy of assistance.
>
> Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits unworthy
> of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould have been able
> to assist.

To someone who doesn't understand netiquette Gunnar's statement may
still sound like "those who whould have been able to assist" are being
petty.

To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
reasons behind the rules of netequette.  Most of rules of netiquette
that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the time
freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
squandered"[1].

Once one realises this fact it's a fairly reasonable step to conclude
that people who "just don't agree with the convention" are indeed
unworthy of assistance.

[1] If you do not understand how multi-posting squanders this time then
please see the document Gunnar mentioned previously in this thread.

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

0
Brian
8/11/2004 5:11:03 PM
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Geoff Wilkins wrote:
> > Hi all.
>
> Do not multi-post!

A pity you didn't heed your own advice!
0
cftygv
8/11/2004 5:23:34 PM
cftygv wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>Do not multi-post!
>
> A pity you didn't heed your own advice!

A pity you didn't read the document to which I provided a link. If you
had, you would have learned to distinguish between cross-posting and
multi-posting, and you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself by
posting that comment.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> cftygv wrote:
> > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> >>Do not multi-post!
> >
> > A pity you didn't heed your own advice!
>
> A pity you didn't read the document to which I provided a link. If you
> had, you would have learned to distinguish between cross-posting and
> multi-posting, and you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself by
> posting that comment.

And some schools of thought say you shouldn't crosspost either but if
you really feel the need to then set followups to one group.
0
cftygv
8/11/2004 5:36:20 PM
cftygv wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> cftygv wrote:
>>> A pity you didn't heed your own advice!
>>
>> A pity you didn't read the document to which I provided a link.
>> If you had, you would have learned to distinguish between
>> cross-posting and multi-posting, and you wouldn't have made a
>> fool of yourself by posting that comment.
>
> And some schools of thought say you shouldn't crosspost either but
> if you really feel the need to then set followups to one group.

The OP had multi-posted; I cross-posted in an attempt to call people's
attention to it in both groups, and possibly prevent that somebody
made efforts to help in one group while unaware of that aspect(s)
being covered in the other group. AFAIK, that reason for posting is
not covered in any "school of thought".

Sure, if I had anticipated this long discussion, I would have set
follow-up to one group.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar

> The OP had multi-posted; I cross-posted in an attempt to call people's
> attention to it in both groups, and possibly prevent that somebody
> made efforts to help in one group while unaware of that aspect(s)
> being covered in the other group. AFAIK, that reason for posting is
> not covered in any "school of thought".

http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.3
0
cftygv
8/11/2004 5:56:25 PM
Geoff Wilkins <GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <2nui85F4th3dU1@uni-berlin.de>, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
><noreply@gunnar.cc> writes
>>Geoff Wilkins wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>
>>Do not multi-post!
>>
>>http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
>
> Thanks Gunnar.  I hope someone else can be more helpful.

Just because it does not help _you_ does not mean that it
was not helpful. You seem rather self-centered...

It will help any reader who would prefer to not be seen as rude.

I found Gunnar's post to be helpful.

There are too many daily posts here to read them all so I rely
on automated filtering of articles.

Adding another entry for the folks who insist on being rude helps
reduce my work load, which in turn helps to provide more time
for helping folks.

Thanks Gunnar for flushing out another me-me-me poster to ignore!

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML consulting
    tadmc@augustmail.com                   Perl programming
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits
>> unworthy of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould
>> have been able  to assist.
>
> I guess you are petty...
>
>> This is Usenet. Learn to behave yourself here, or go elsewhere.
>> ;-)
>
> And closed minded...

And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
a pure waste of time.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
"cftygv" <cftygv@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > The OP had multi-posted; I cross-posted in an attempt to call people's
> > attention to it in both groups, and possibly prevent that somebody
> > made efforts to help in one group while unaware of that aspect(s)
> > being covered in the other group. AFAIK, that reason for posting is
> > not covered in any "school of thought".
>
> http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.3

And some people consider it rude to chop the attribution lines from
postings.

I personally have no problem with cross-posting if it's on-topic to *all*
the groups (i.e., asking a Perl question in clpm, alt.perl, etc.). At least
then the responses are available in all the groups' archives. Cross-posting
becomes a nuisance, however, when it's used for trolling or throwing a wide
net because a person hasn't done their homework.

Matt

0
Matt
8/12/2004 2:24:21 AM
Thanks for your help, Bill - and I'm happy to have given the rest of you
something to occupy your time with. Bye for now.

In message <WksSc.11352$nx2.6129@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Bill
Segraves <segraves_f13@mindspring.com> writes

--
Best wishes,

Geoff Wilkins
GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk
0
Geoff
8/12/2004 5:28:22 AM
> And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
> a pure waste of time.
But you did that. So you do have a time to waste, don't you? :)

0
Eugene
8/12/2004 7:28:23 AM
"Andrew DeFaria" <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in message
> Brian McCauley wrote:
>
> > To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
> > reasons behind the rules of netequette.  Most of rules of netiquette
> > that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the
> > time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
> > squandered"[1].
>
> And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll just
> keep doing it that way".

And the reason they keep doing it that way, is that it is reasonable,
sensible and it makes things fairer and easier.

0
Tintin
8/12/2004 8:58:11 AM
Andrew DeFaria  <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Brian McCauley wrote:
>
> > To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
> > reasons behind the rules of netequette.  Most of rules of netiquette
> > that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the
> > time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
> > squandered"[1].
>
> And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll just
> keep doing it that way".

If you have a point, make it.  What are those rules, and who is defending
them with the argument you quote?

Your opinions are of no interest.

Anno
0
anno4000
8/12/2004 12:04:07 PM
Eugene Mikheyev <eam@7ka.mipt.ru> wrote:
>> And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
>> a pure waste of time.
> But you did that. So you do have a time to waste, don't you? :)

It was not a waste of time. I got useful information from the
followups to his post.

Flushed out 3 in a single thread, way to go Gunnar!

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML consulting
    tadmc@augustmail.com                   Perl programming
    Fort Worth, Texas
0
Tad
8/12/2004 1:37:17 PM
> It was not a waste of time. I got useful information from the
> followups to his post.
You did. Did he? :)

0
Eugene
8/12/2004 2:01:07 PM
Tad McClellan wrote:
> Eugene Mikheyev <eam@7ka.mipt.ru> wrote:
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>> And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to
>>> you was a pure waste of time.
>>
>> But you did that. So you do have a time to waste, don't you? :)
>
> It was not a waste of time. I got useful information from the
> followups to his post.
>
> Flushed out 3 in a single thread, way to go Gunnar!

I'm glad it served a good purpose, after all. :)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Gunnar
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>
>>> Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits
>>> unworthy of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould
>>> have been able  to assist.
>>

>> I guess you are petty...
>>
>>> This is Usenet. Learn to behave yourself here, or go elsewhere.
>>> ;-)
>>

>> And closed minded...
>

> And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
> a pure waste of time.

Well then you're just wasting your time!
--
Backups? We don' *NEED* no steenking backups.
0

Tintin wrote:

> "Andrew DeFaria" <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in message
>
>> Brian McCauley wrote:
>>
>>> To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
>>> reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of rules of netiquette
>>> that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the
>>> time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
>>> squandered"[1].
>>
>> And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll
>> just keep doing it that way".
>
> And the reason they keep doing it that way, is that it is reasonable,
> sensible and it makes things fairer and easier.

"If it was good enough for my grandfather than it's good enough for
me!", "I don't need no stinking ATM card - I'll use cash - just like my
grandpappy..."

--
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the
others here for?

--------------030703010808020404020804

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Tintin wrote:<br>
DeFaria" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com">&lt;Andrew@DeFaria.com&gt;</a> wrote in message<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:ac633$411ac534$43661972$27445@msgid.meganewsservers.com">news:ac633$411ac534$43661972$27445@msgid.meganewsservers.com</a>...<br>
needs to appreciate the reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of
rules of netiquette that we bang on about here boil down to one simple
convention: "the time freely given to assist others should be valued
and must not be squandered"[1].<br>
And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll
just keep doing it that way".<br>
<!---->And the reason they keep doing it that way, is that it is
reasonable, sensible and it makes things fairer and easier.<br>
"If it was good enough for my grandfather than it's good enough for
me!", "I don't need no stinking ATM card - I'll use cash - just like my
grandpappy..."<br>
-- <br>
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the
others here for?<br>

--------------060305090800080904050907

Anno Siegel wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>
>> Brian McCauley wrote:
>>
>>> To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
>>> reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of rules of netiquette
>>> that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the
>>> time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
>>> squandered"[1].
>>
>> And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll just
>> keep doing it that way".
>

> If you have a point, make it.

Likewise...

> What are those rules, and who is defending them with the argument you
> quote?
>
> Your opinions are of no interest.

Again, likewise...

--
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

--------------060305090800080904050907

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Anno Siegel wrote:<br>
DeFaria <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com">&lt;Andrew@DeFaria.com&gt;</a> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:<br>
needs to appreciate the <br>
reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of rules of netiquette <br>
that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the <br>
time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be <br>
squandered"[1].<br>
And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll
just <br>
keep doing it that way".<br>
<!----><br>
If you have a point, make it. </blockquote>
Likewise...<br>
are those rules, and who is defending them with the argument you quote?<br>
Your opinions are of no interest.<br>
Again, likewise...<br>
-- <br>
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.<br>

--------------060305090800080904050907--
0
Andrew
8/12/2004 10:13:36 PM
> Anno Siegel wrote:
>
> > Your opinions are of no interest.
>
> Again, likewise...

Please bear in mind that the people you're insulting will never need *your*
help with Perl. You command no respect, and so you get none.

That said, you should go back and work on your reading comprehension skills.
All that has been said in this thread is that failing to following posting
guidelines reduces your chances of getting help. Not decrease them to nil,
just reduce them. Should you spend a few years here answering questions
you'll better understand why this is.

Matt

0
Matt
8/13/2004 3:19:38 AM
Matt Garrish wrote:

> Please bear in mind that the people you're insulting will never need
> *your* help with Perl.

How do you know that?

> That said, you should go back and work on your reading comprehension
> skills.

My reading comprehension skills are just fine thank you.

> All that has been said in this thread is that failing to following
> posting guidelines reduces your chances of getting help. Not decrease
> them to nil, just reduce them. Should you spend a few years here
> answering questions you'll better understand why this is.

Apparently you have a problem with anybody who doesn't agree with you 100%.
--
Do I BELIEVE in the Bible? Hell, I've actually SEEN one!
0
Andrew DeFaria  <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Matt Garrish wrote:
>
> > Please bear in mind that the people you're insulting will never need
> > *your* help with Perl.
>
> How do you know that?

We've seen you perform.

Anno
0
anno4000
8/13/2004 8:29:12 AM
Anno Siegel wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>
>> Matt Garrish wrote:
>>
>>> Please bear in mind that the people you're insulting will never need
>>> *your* help with Perl.
>>
>> How do you know that?
>
> We've seen you perform.

No you haven't.