puppet module?

Greetings.

Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?

Something that will look at my various levels of nodes and profiles, and
propogate default values, and come up with a list of values at the
end?

I could probably create one, but I know that somebody else could create a
better one than I could.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie@lactose.homelinux.net
0
hymie
11/22/2016 1:20:35 PM
comp.lang.perl.misc 33233 articles. 1 followers. brian (1246) is leader. Post Follow

El 22/11/16 a las 14:20, hymie! escribi�:
> Greetings.
>
> Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
> a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?
>
> Something that will look at my various levels of nodes and profiles, and
> propogate default values, and come up with a list of values at the
> end?
>
> I could probably create one, but I know that somebody else could create a
> better one than I could.
>
> --hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie@lactose.homelinux.net

Your demand or question has no sense.

http://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/pp

--
http://gamo.eu.pn/
Do not mix your decrepitude with that of the world.
  gamo <gamo@telecable.es>, who said:

>> Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
>> a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?

> Your demand or question has no sense.
>
> http://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/pp

You take the time to point out that one random website has never heard
of the software I'm using, and **I'm** the one who makes no sense.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie@lactose.homelinux.net
0
hymie
11/27/2016 3:48:08 PM
On 22/11/2016 15:20, hymie! wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
> a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?
>
> Something that will look at my various levels of nodes and profiles, and
> propogate default values, and come up with a list of values at the
> end?

I know nothing about puppet or .pp, but you could upload somewhere an
"input" zip describe what you want as output

0
George
11/27/2016 7:44:27 PM
In comp.lang.perl.misc, George Mpouras  <gravitalsun@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/11/2016 15:20, hymie! wrote:
> > Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
> > a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?

Isn't Puppet a Python based system? You might have more luck with python
tools.

> I know nothing about puppet or .pp, but you could upload somewhere an
> "input" zip describe what you want as output

This is one of the introductory pages on the Puppet manifest language:

https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.8/lang_summary.html

"The Puppet language does not require much formal programming experience
and its syntax was inspired by the Nagios configuration file format."

Hmmm. Maybe the existing Nagios modules would help:

   https://metacpan.org/search?q=nagios+config&search_type=modules

Elijah
------
has used chef, but not puppet
0
Eli
12/5/2016 10:25:05 PM
On 6/12/2016 00:25, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In comp.lang.perl.misc, George Mpouras  <gravitalsun@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22/11/2016 15:20, hymie! wrote:
>>> Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
>>> a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?
>
> Isn't Puppet a Python based system? You might have more luck with python
> tools.
>
>> I know nothing about puppet or .pp, but you could upload somewhere an
>> "input" zip describe what you want as output
>
> This is one of the introductory pages on the Puppet manifest language:
>
> https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.8/lang_summary.html
>
> "The Puppet language does not require much formal programming experience
> and its syntax was inspired by the Nagios configuration file format."
>
> Hmmm. Maybe the existing Nagios modules would help:
>
>    https://metacpan.org/search?q=nagios+config&search_type=modules
>
> Elijah
> ------
> has used chef, but not puppet

until now I am doing similar stuff with parallel ssh scripts
This something that is ok up to 10 - 20 servers but not for hundreds
I am thinking of ansible https://www.ansible.com/
Puppet have grown to an unmanaged dinosaur suite
0
George
  George Mpouras <gravitalsun@hotmail.com>, who said:
> On 22/11/2016 15:20, hymie! wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> Does anybody know about a module that will read, process, and "pretty-print"
>> a Puppet site.pp (site manifest) ?
>>
>> Something that will look at my various levels of nodes and profiles, and
>> propogate default values, and come up with a list of values at the
>> end?
>>

> I know nothing about puppet or .pp, but you could upload somewhere an
> "input" zip describe what you want as output

I appreciate the offer and I plan to get back to you, but I'm not
in a position to work on this right now.

--hymie!
0
hymie
12/6/2016 1:47:07 PM
On 2016-12-06 09:49, George Mpouras wrote:

> until now I am doing similar stuff with parallel ssh scripts
> This something that is ok up to 10 - 20 servers but not for hundreds
> I am thinking of ansible https://www.ansible.com/
> Puppet have grown to an unmanaged dinosaur suite

There is also cdist:

http://www.nico.schottelius.org/software/cdist/

Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html

0
Ian