Module to get text from a PDF page?

I'm looking for a Perl module that will give me the text from a page of a simple
(uncompressed, unencrypted) PDF.  I've found several modules on CPAN that will
write text into PDFs, but nothing to get it out.

The closest possibilities look like PDF::API2 and Text::PDF.  I've been working
with them, and they seem to be able to get at a lot of meta-information in a PDF, but
unable to get at the actual text in the file.

My workaround is to shell out to pdftotext to get the text, but I'd like to have
a pure-perl solution if possible.  Does anyone know of a module that can do this?

Thanks,
Wade
0
minter (5)
1/6/2005 7:52:37 PM
comp.lang.perl.modules 4194 articles. 0 followers. jerrykrinock (6) is leader. Post Follow

Need Perl module to get <TITLE> tag of a web page
I've spent an hour searching on CPAN and there are simply too many web-related modules and no good way (that I can think of) to search for this in terms that aren't so broad that pretty much all of them are returned as hits. So here I am asking. Simple problem. Given a URL http://www.example.com/some/file/here.html, retrieve and extract the title of the web page -- i.e., the content of the <title> tag. Is there an equally simple solution? Thanks in advance for any advice. -- _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Ba...

Get importer module from imported module
I found this problem when trying to split a module into two. Here's an example: ============== #Module a (a.py): from b import * class Main: pass ============== ============== #Module b (b.py) def How(): Main_instance = module_a.Main() return Main_instance ============== > import a > a.How() the problem would show at How() function. I have been unable to get variable pointing to module a from inside module b. In short, I need to have a variable pointing to the module whose importing me. -- dody s wijaya <dodysw@gmail.com>, YM: dody, [36932B53] dody suria wi...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worth it?
Hi All, I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python. First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use this project to learn python. I was wondering if there was a "How to program python for perl programmers" Kinda like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers and what not. Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results? As far as I know python has no "CPAN". Thanks in advance. Mothra Mothra wrote: > Hi All, > > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python. Only you and your module's users may tell... > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use > this project to learn python. Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-) > I was wondering if there was a > "How to program python for perl programmers" > Kinda > like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers > and what not. http://www.hackdiary.com/slides/lpw2004/ http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/OSCON2002/ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/241757.html http://pleac.sourceforge.net/ Google is your friend, as usual... Note...

I want an perl module for conver large html page file to multi little pages
convert an extreme large HTML file to little multi-pages, and add links to the top of the multi-pages, such as: this page split to n pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ..n............(links) -- Your fault as a Government is My failure as a Citizen. anybody knows is there have such module? I searech "HTML::" in the cpan, get nothing ʱ��:Sun, 14 Nov 2004 02:02:33 +0800 Alont <end@dream.life>����Forte Agent 1.8/32.548����:-- >convert an extreme large HTML file to little multi-pages, >and add links to the top of the multi-pages, such as: > >this page split to n pages: >1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ..n............(links) -- Your fault as a Government is My failure as a Citizen. Alont wrote: > anybody knows is there have such module? I searech "HTML::" in the > cpan, get nothing No, this is going to be a custom job I am afraid, drop me a line at contact at johnbokma dot com, or reply to this message by email -- John Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/ Perl programmer available: http://castleamber.com/ Happy Customers: http://castleamber.com/testimonials.html ...

Best or the-module-you-use to list installed Perl modules ?
What's the best cgi Perl module to list installed Perl modules ? Or, since "best" doesn't have a real sense : what's the module you use to list all the installed module on the server ? I've often used PerlDiver (1.1 to 2.33), but it doesn't work in all circumstances (for example, it doesn't work, here, on a Debian and Fedora servers). In article <MPG.1fbbcd3399d7518e989900@news.tiscali.fr>, Yohan N Leder <ynl@nsparks.net> wrote: > What's the best cgi Perl module to list installed Perl modules ? Or, > since "best" doesn&#...

Perl module PDF::API2
Hi all, I'm trying to generate a PDF index file for CDs with thumb nail images and image titles. I searched CPAN and find out PDF::API2 is the right module to use. However, there isn't much documentation or examples to help me to understand how it works. I read through old topics posted to this group but haven't got any clue how to start with images. Has anybody done something similar with PDF::API2? Could anyone help me to get started? Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you Mei Hi Mei, I've been trying to learn PDF::API2 as well. I just bought a book(Perl Graphics Programming). There is a short chapter on PDF::API2 with simple examples. You could actually get those examples online. I will try to find the link for you. Please let me know if you've got any solutions on creating those PDF files. Lisa hu_mei@hotmail.com (mei) wrote in message news:<243028f6.0407110335.1c02eb60@posting.google.com>... > Hi all, > > I'm trying to generate a PDF index file for CDs with thumb nail images > and image titles. > > I searched CPAN and find out PDF::API2 is the right module to use. > However, there isn't much documentation or examples to help me to > understand how it works. > > I read through old topics posted to this group but haven't got any > clue how to start with images. > > Has anybody done something similar with PDF::API2? Could anyone help > me to get started? > > An...

where to get Active perl modules
Hi, I downloaded the active perl release und unzipped it onto a memory stick. I can now execute my perl script as desired. I wanted do download a precompiled version of the module Rec::Descent, which I can also find on the Active perl web site under http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Modules/ I did also find Parse::RecDescent http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Modules/dist_html?dist_id=9430 but I see only documentation, but no place where I can download the library. Is it possible to donwload single packages and unzip them wherever I like to unzip them (on the memory stick such, that I...

how could i get perl module in unix?
i'm a stater in Perl. when wrote the code use LWP 5.64 an error occured. NCS+ wrote: > i'm a stater in Perl. A great place to start is here: <http://learn.perl.org> Also, if you haven't done so already, please read the posting guidelines for this group. They appear here frequently. > when wrote the code > > use LWP 5.64 > > an error occured. Naturally - that's not how you use "use". Have a look at the docs for the function you're using: perldoc -f use The questions of how to get modules, how to find out what ones you ...

Perl PDF modules
Hi all. I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template file and output a new PDF file. I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates for where the text should appear. What I want, instead, is to be able to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text. Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this? Or any other way of doing it? -- Best wishes, Geoff Wilkins GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk Geoff Wilkins wrote: > Hi all. Do not multi-post! http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html -- G...

Pure Perl PDF creation module.
Are there any Perl modules for creating PDFs that are purely Perl and don't depend on any 3rd party libs? Thanks. jason <jbi130@yahoo.com> writes: > Are there any Perl modules for creating PDFs that are purely > Perl and don't depend on any 3rd party libs? > PDF::Create. Make sure to use the latest version from sourceforge, not the CPAN version. -- Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de tkruler - Perl/Tk program for measuring screen distances http://ptktools.sourceforge.net/#tkruler jason <jbi130@yahoo.com> wrote: > Are there any Perl modules for creating PDFs that are purely > Perl and don't depend on any 3rd party libs? PDFs that are purely Perl? :-) Peter -- #!/local/bin/perl5 -wp -*- mode: cperl; coding: iso-8859-1; -*- # matlab comment stripper (strips comments from Matlab m-files) s/^((?:(?:[])}\w.]'+|[^'%])+|'[^'\n]*(?:''[^'\n]*)*')*).*/$1/x; pjacklam@online.no (Peter J. Acklam) wrote in news:isbexpz6.fsf@online.no: > jason <jbi130@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> Are there any Perl modules for creating PDFs that are purely >> Perl and don't depend on any 3rd party libs? > > PDFs that are purely Perl? :-) From <http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/sticks.htm> ("Sticks and Stones," reader-contributed examples of actual published writing that's at least as bad as the deliberate bad writing in the Bulwer-Lytton contest...

Perl module for doing text/document comparisons?
Hi Everyone, I've been looking for a Perl module that can be used to do document comparisons. I've done a web search and looked in my perl books, but can't seem to find the exact animal I'm looking for. Basically, I'm looking for a Perl module that does the standard document comparison function found in most word processors. It takes version 1 of a document and version 2, and does a text scan of the word/string groups that have been changed, deleted/added. Here's an example of what I mean: Version 1 document looks like this: This is a version 1 document. Version 2...

Perl PDF modules
Hi all. I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template file and output a new PDF file. I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates for where the text should appear. What I want, instead, is to be able to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text. Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this? Or any other way of doing it? -- Best wishes, Geoff Wilkins GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk Geoff Wilkins wrote: > I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template > file and output a new PDF file. > > I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates > for where the text should appear. What I want, instead, is to be able > to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text. > > Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this? Or any > other way of doing it? You could define your place-holders as form fields and use either Adobe's FDF toolkit or PDF::FDF::Simple to generate the data to plug into them. http://search.cpan.org/~schwigon/PDF-FDF-Simple-0.03/lib/PDF/FDF/Simple.pod I haven't done this, I just have a vague understanding of how PDF and FDF work together. Perhaps Adobe's Perl toolkit, documentation, tutorial on FDF can help, they are on this page (and requires a free registration to download it): http://partners.adobe.com/asn/acrobat/f...

Getting text of Modules in non CurrentDB
I'm curious about getting to the text of procedures in a database other than the current database without a new instance of Access. Note I don't want to execute or call anything, I just want to get to the text of each module. No Networks involved, just multiple drives on one local machine. <ramble> Win98, Access 8 I don't have the self discipline to keep track of all the incidental bits of code I write to do one off, small (or large) tasks. Sometimes I need to sledgehammer my way through all my MDBs to find a half remembered bit of code. I can quite happily do what I want by ... <dim stuff, oApp as Object ...> DBName$ = ThatDB.mdb Set oApp = New Access.Application oApp.OpenCurrentDatabase DBName Set db = oApp.CurrentDb Then I can wander through the oDocs in db.Containers("Modules").Documents and open the modules oApp.DoCmd.OpenModule oDoc.Name , grab all the text sText = .Lines(1, .countOfLines) , slice things out with all those handy tools like ProcStartLine, ProcBodyLine and such. Maybe shove it all in a table where I can search and sort, get distracted, forget what I was after and do something else instead. </ramble> (This Tag often ignored) I'm puzzled about why I can't get to the other modules just by setting a Reference to the other database. Given these Objects. 1. The CurrentDB Database - ThisDB.mdb Project: - ThisDB Module: - mThisMod Procedure - sThisSub I'm working in sThisSub 2...

Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules
Original:China Supply Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules Mini-Com TX6 Plus Jack Module TP Series,Mini-Com Coupler Modules ,Mini-com Coupler Modules,Panduit Mini-com Coupler Module,Panduit Minicom Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Module,Panduit Mini-com Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com ST Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com SC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com FC Fiber Optic Adapter Modules,Panduit Mini-Com Surface Mount Boxes,Fiber Optic Surface Mount Boxes,Fiber Surface Mounted Boxes Surface mount box accepts four Mini-Com modules. See More Details at the Link: http://www.cheerwe-telecom.com http://indonetwork.net/cheerwetelecom Category 5e, RJ45, 8 position, 8 wire universal coupler module. Features: Designed to exceed performance requirements of the TIA/EIA-568-B.2 Category 5e and ISO 11801 2nd Edition Class D channel standards RJ45 8 position, 8 wire female to RJ45 8 position, 8 wire female pass through module No termination tool required Accepts 6 and 8 position modular plugs without damage Can be clearly identified with optional labels and icons Not suitable for surface mount box applications ...

[...]

perl sub and perl modules
Hi all, I am new in perl and I am having some difficulties in getting used to it. I have an array of array: my @hap = ( [qw/ a c g t g c/], [qw/ c g ? t a g/], [qw/ a c t t ? c/]); and as during the process I will need to print how this evolves during the process, I tried to place a print sub: sub MyPrint { my (@arr) =@_; for my $i (0..$#arr){ for my $j (0..$#{$arr[$i]}){ print $arr[$i][$j]."\t"; } print "\n"; } } if I call my print as reference: MyPrint(\@hap); I get: ARRAY(0x541c) ARRAY(0x7b944) ...

Need a module for grabbing text from a web page
Not just the text, but the urls for the images on that page as well. Thanks. emelio garcia <EmelioGarcia@wazoo.com> wrote in news:2orc11l01cpq6do60dgrjfb45on354i7cf@4ax.com: > Subject: Need a module for grabbing text from a web page > Not just the text, but the urls for the images on that page as well. What on God's red planet do you mean by this? > Thanks. You are welcome. Sinan. emelio garcia wrote: > Not just the text, but the urls for the images on that page as well. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hm... Last time I checked, the "urls...

Perl PDF modules
Hi all. I'm trying to write a Perl script which will insert text into a PDF template file and output a new PDF file. I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates for where the text should appear. What I want, instead, is to be able to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text. Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this? Or any other way of doing it? -- Best wishes, Geoff Wilkins GeoffW@wordsmith.demon.co.uk Hi, maybe you should look at the pdflib www.pdflib.com that is full of functions and works with per...

Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module
Hi, 1. Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer module are used in Presentation State. Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no presentation state)? If not, How can I represent text value on a Image (Curves and regular Overlays are not good for text values)? 2. Which tag is used for "inverse" operation? Thanks, Erez. erez bibi wrote: > Displayed area module, Graphic annotation module and Graphic layer > module are used in Presentation State. > Can I use these modules in regular DICOM Images (with no presentation > state)? No. > If not, How can I represent text value on a Image (Curves and regular > Overlays are not good for text values)? By sending a presentation state ! That is what it was designed for. > 2. > Which tag is used for "inverse" operation? There is no such attribute in most images (though one could lie about Photometric Interpretation, but this is not a good idea and won't work for many SOP Classes). Within a presentation state, one can use a Presentation LUT Shape (2050,0020) of INVERSE rather than IDENTITY. david ...

Unexplained delay Module::Build + ExtUtils::MakeMaker building pure perl modules #2
On 12 nov, 15:44, Klaus <klau...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am having a problem when building pure perl modules > on Windows 7, ActiveState Perl 5.12.3. > > The module build / test / install works correctly, but > my issue is that the build process for a very simple > pure perl module (Acme::SList::Utilities in this case) > takes about 60 seconds on my Windows machine. The > Build test and Build install process work rapidly > in about 2 seconds each. I have experimented with Strawberry Perl on Windows 7 (first a 'Build clean', then a 'Build&...

How to get text from ms-access module in remote db?
I need to scan a couple of hundred databases in several directories to locate all code that uses a particular function, but cannot figure out how to read the Form or Module text itself. I am able to locate, then connect to the databases, and have figured out how to get the Form and Module names easy enough using the documents collection of each of the Form and Module containers, but how do I actually read the code to find out which contain the function code I am searching? Is there any more direct way to read it rather than using Application.SaveAsText? ---------------------------- set db = OpenDatabase([Database path and name]) for i = 0 to db.Containers("Modules").Documents.Count oDoc = db.Containers("Modules").Documents(i) sName = oDoc.Name '- Wonks so far ... sText = oDoc.???? How do I read the actual text (code) in each module or form? --------------------------- Thanks in Advance - jfro The Containers Collection and Documents class for the Modules objects contains no interface to the VBA code. If you want to access the module code programmatically, then you'll need to use the DoCmd.OpenModule method from the Access Application object used to open the remote database, so you don't need to use the OpenDatabase method in your code below, either. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips. (Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so ...

gettting an apache perl module to take over serving pages
I have this huge directory of html and images, lets callit '/pages'. I want a Perl module to take over serving the HTML from this directory, so I can do smart redirects if the pages have expired. So, I wrote a module, 'PageServer' to do this, and tested it by specifying the following: <Location /ps> SetHandler perl-script PerlHandler Apache::PageServer </Location> So, whenever a page such as 'http://myserver/ps/foo.html' is requested, the module looks for 'foo.html' in the '/pages' directory and serves it, redirecting if the page is not found - works great! However, when I try to take over the actual '/pages' URL, the module serves the pages, but IE thinks they are some sort of download and presents a popup asking if I want to download 'foo.html' to disk. What is up with that??? I dont understand why it would work one way if the directory is present, and another if it is not. print "mime type = content/html\n\n"; Bet you dont have your redirection script spitting out a mime type before it starts spitting out HTML... "Seth Brundle" <brundlefly76@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f71ea6e$0$279$45beb828@newscene.com... > I have this huge directory of html and images, lets callit '/pages'. > > I want a Perl module to take over serving the HTML from this directory, so I > can do smart redirects if the pages have expired. > &g...

Web resources about - Module to get text from a PDF page? - comp.lang.perl.modules

Zvezda (ISS module) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
27,743.8 kilometres per hour (17,239.2 mph) Zvezda ( Russian : Звезда , meaning "star"), DOS-8 , also known as the Zvezda Service Module , is ...

LG G5 camera module demonstration
... for about a day now. LG decided to try something new with this year's flagship and include the ability to swap out different hardware modules, ...

Fraunhofer Sets New Solar CPV Module Efficiency Record
... published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new solar conversion efficiency world record for concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) solar modules ...

Space graffiti discovered inside Apollo 11 command module
Workers at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum uncover astronauts' scribbles that haven't been seen for 40 years.

LG brings interchangeable 'Friends' modules to flagship G5 smartphone
... 6 (Marshmallow) device with an unusual new feature a 2800 mAh battery that slides out from the bottom. The slot can accept a variety of modules ...

Trina Solar 2015 PV module shipments up 51.8% on year
China-based Trina Solar shipped 1.776GWp of PV modules in the fourth quarter of 2015, leading to shipments of 5.74GWp in 2015 which hiked 51.8% ...

LG CAM Module for LG G5 Available for Pre-Order, Listed at $70
The LG CAM Plus module, made specifically for the LG G5 , is now listed up for pre-order on B&H Photo. Listed with a price of $69.99, this little ...

LG's G5 Smartphone Goes After DSLRs, Stereos, HDTVs Via Modules At Mobile World Congress #MWC16
Every trade show has its themes inside and across categories, and at this year’s MobileWorld Congress (MWC), smartphone modularity appeared to ...

Boston Dynamics Atlas Robot Edited w/ Cursing Module
This is a video of Boston Dyanmics' latest Atlas humanoid robot edited with a fictional cursing module . It doesn't appear to be a very obscene ...

Audio Module For LG G5’s Magic Slot Works With Other Phones
The new Magic Slot system, found in the upcoming LG G5, seems very slick in theory, but it’s some grade-A proprietary bullshit. You want all ...