Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server)

Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to
enumerate printers on a server?

I've tried $server with a plain server name e.g. "MYBOX" and "\\\\MYBOX"
nither give any response.  (Note I'm using an accound with Administrator
priv at MYBOX).

Looking at MSDN it implies that the parameter to  	EnumPrinters() should
be "Print Provider!!\\Machine" so I tried

    "win32spl.dll!!\\\\MYBOX"

and

    "win32spl!!\\\\MYBOX"

and

    "LanMan Print Services!!\\\\MYBOX"

Still Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer() stubbonly returns nothing.

0
nobull (273)
6/23/2005 12:18:43 PM
comp.lang.perl.modules 4194 articles. 0 followers. jerrykrinock (6) is leader. Post Follow

"Brian McCauley" <nobull@mail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to
> enumerate printers on a server?
>
> I've tried $server with a plain server name e.g. "MYBOX" and "\\\\MYBOX"
> nither give any response.  (Note I'm using an accound with Administrator
> priv at MYBOX).
>
> Looking at MSDN it implies that the parameter to  EnumPrinters() should
> be "Print Provider!!\\Machine" so I tried
>
>     "win32spl.dll!!\\\\MYBOX"
>
> and
>
>     "win32spl!!\\\\MYBOX"
>
> and
>
>     "LanMan Print Services!!\\\\MYBOX"
>
> Still Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer() stubbonly returns nothing.

Can't help a lot, if at all - I don't have a printer. (If you get stuck you
might find some help on ActiveState's perl-win32-users list.)

In the Printers() function I see the following code:

my $return = Win32::Printer::_EnumPrinters($flag, $server);
unless (defined($return))
          {croak "ERROR: Cannot enumerate printers!
          ${\Win32::Printer::_GetLastError()}";
}

That code seems a bit suss to me. If I call it as 'Printers("rubbish");', I
too find that it runs without output, though, of course, the domain named
"rubbish" doesn't even exist. I suspect that '(defined($return))' should be
replaced simply with '($return)'.
If EnumPrinters() fails, I think that _EnumPrinters() still returns a
defined (but untrue) value.

Anyway, you might find it useful to replace the above code with:

my $return = Win32::Printer::_EnumPrinters($flag, $server);
unless ($return)
          {croak "$flag : $server: ERROR: Cannot enumerate printers!
          ${\Win32::Printer::_GetLastError()}";
}

With that change I get:

8 : \\rubbish : ERROR: Cannot enumerate printers! The RPC server is
unavailable.
at try.pl line 5

which looks sane to me.

Hth.

Cheers,
Rob

0
sisyphus12 (343)
6/24/2005 10:59:32 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:18:43 +0100, Brian McCauley wrote:
> Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to
> enumerate printers on a server?

If you can connect to a remote registry from perl, then this code may
work (it works fine with local printers).

sub list_printers {
    # list available printers
    my %printers;

    # look at registry to get printer names for local machine
    my $Register = 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers';
    my ($hkey, @key_list, @names, @ports);
    my $HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = $main::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;
    $HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Open($Register, $hkey) or
      Carp::croak "Can't open registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\$Register: $!";
    $hkey->GetKeys(\@key_list);
    foreach my $key (@key_list) {
	my $path = $Register . '\\' . $key;
	my ($pkey, %values, $printers);
	$HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Open($path, $pkey) or
	  Carp::croak "Can't open registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\$path: $!";
	$pkey->GetValues(\%values);
	push @ports, $values{Port}[2];
	push @names, $values{Name}[2];
    }
    $printers{name} = [ @names ];
    $printers{port} = [ @ports ];
    return %printers;
}

--
Stephen Patterson steve@patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/
Linux Counter No: 142831 GPG Public key: E3E8E974

Sisyphus wrote:
> "Brian McCauley" <nobull@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ... Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer() stubbonly returns nothing.
> >

> Can't help a lot, if at all - I don't have a printer. (If you get stuck you
> might find some help on ActiveState's perl-win32-users list.)

> Anyway, you might find it useful to replace the above code with:
>
> my $return = Win32::Printer::_EnumPrinters($flag, $server);
> unless ($return)
>           {croak "$flag : $server: ERROR: Cannot enumerate printers!
>           ${\Win32::Printer::_GetLastError()}";
> }

Thanks for that - I may try that later.  In the short term I've solved
my immediate problem by parsing a REGEDIT export.

Thanks also to Stephen Patterson - if I need to automate this process I
may use the registry modules but the registry layout is not so simple
because the server is actually a virtual server in a cluster config.

0
nobull (273)
6/25/2005 6:47:23 AM
Brian McCauley wrote:
> Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to
> enumerate printers on a server?

I tend to use WMI these days. You might want to try this:

use strict;
use warnings;

use Win32::OLE qw/in/;
   Win32::OLE->Option(Warn => 1);

$ARGV[0] ||= '';

my $wmi = Win32::OLE->GetObject(
    "winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(security)}$ARGV[0]"
) or die
    "error initializing WMI interface, ",
    Win32::OLE->LastError;

my @attrib = qw/DeviceID Name DriverName Location Comment/;
print join(', ', @attrib), "\n";
for my $p ( in($wmi->InstancesOf('Win32_Printer')) ) {
    $_ ||= '' for @$p{@attrib};
    print join(', ', @$p{@attrib}), "\n";
}

Thomas

--
$/=$,,$_=<DATA>,s,(.*),$1,see;__END__
s,^(.*\043),,mg,@_=map{[split'']}split;{#>J~.>_an~>>e~......>r~
> Thomas Kratzwrote:

> I tend to use WMI these days. You might want to try this:
> .
> .
> .
> .

Thomas,

I am trying to adjust your code, which I think will solve my problem
(Thanks, I was going crazy!) but I am a little lost as to how I might
adjust it to email me if one of the queues error.

the $attrib returns the column heading rather than the data from the
array.

I'm sure I am missing something simple but my brain has overheated. .
..

Here is what I have so far:

my @attrib = qw/DeviceID Status/;

print join(', ', @attrib), "\n";
for my $p ( in($wmi->InstancesOf('Win32_Printer')) ) {
$_ ||= '' for @$p{@attrib};
print join(', ', @$p{@attrib}), "\n";

if($attrib[1] ne Error)

	{
#		system("D:/\\server/share/\\dir/\\frmsendmail.exe blank\.txt -t
me\@mine.com -priority 1 -subject a_printer_has _a_problem");
	}

}

I have also noted that the Status returned in Win32\Printers is
"Ready" but the script returns "Unknown".

Ho Hum . . .

Sully wrote:
>>Thomas Kratzwrote:
>

>>I tend to use WMI these days. You might want to try this:
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>

> Thomas,
>
> I am trying to adjust your code, which I think will solve my problem
> (Thanks, I was going crazy!) but I am a little lost as to how I might
> adjust it to email me if one of the queues error.
>
> the $attrib returns the column heading rather than the data from the
> array.

The headers are printed by the first 'print'.
One line of values is printed for each printer of the computer you specify
on the command line like

perl script.pl \\MYSERVER

Thomas

--
Sully wrote:
> I have also noted that the Status returned in Win32\Printers is
> "Ready" but the script returns "Unknown".
>
> Ho Hum . . .

Yep, the 'Status' field exists but is not filled by WMI. Please use the
WMI Browser from M$ to look for values with meaningful content (WMI is
still 'work in progress in many places').
You can use 'PrinterStatus' wich contains an uint16. You can lookup the
values in

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_printer.asp

Thomas

--
Sully wrote:

> the $attrib returns the column heading rather than the data from the
> array.
>
> I'm sure I am missing something simple but my brain has overheated. .

Aah! I had to read this a few times before I realized what you mean. You
have lost all indentation in your reply

> .
>
> Here is what I have so far:
>
> #use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> use Win32::OLE qw/in/;
> Win32::OLE->Option(Warn => 1);
>
> $ARGV[0] ||= '';
>
> my $wmi =
> Win32::OLE->GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(security)}$ARGV[0]")
> or die "error initializing WMI interface, ",
>
> Win32::OLE->LastError;
>
> my @attrib = qw/DeviceID Status/;
>
> print join(', ', @attrib), "\n";
> for my $p ( in($wmi->InstancesOf('Win32_Printer')) ) {
> $_ ||= '' for @$p{@attrib};
> print join(', ', @$p{@attrib}), "\n";
>
> if($attrib[1] ne Error)

No @attrib contains the headings. What you want is the actual parameter of
the hash referenced by $p. Also ITYM 'eq' instead of 'ne'.

   if ( $p->{Status} eq 'Error' )

But then as you have noticed, the 'Status' parameter doesn't do what you
want (see my other response)

> 	{
> #		system("D:/\\server/share/\\dir/\\frmsendmail.exe blank\.txt -t
> me\@mine.com -priority 1 -subject a_printer_has _a_problem");
> 	}
>
> }

Thomas

--
Sully wrote:

> Aah! I had to read this a few times before I realized what you mean.
You
> have lost all indentation in your reply

Thanks Thomas, your comments have now let me complete my code.

Thanks for all of your help!

Sully

SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer error
SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : Network name not found) Printer is installed and connected. It's working. Please help On Sep 9, 9:03=A0am, "M Mordkovych" <mmordk1_no_spam_...@verizon.net> wrote: > SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : > > Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : > Network name not found) > > Printer is installed and connected. It's working. > > Please help I've had several instances of this problem. The most common is a misspelling of the printer sharename in the NET USE command. This DOS Error is telling you that the Network name is not found. I would do a NET VIEW to list the shared devices that are seen from the workstation, then a NET VIEW with the host name to see the correct sharenames for that host. For instance, if the host is \\COMPUTER, the NET VIEW \\COMPUTER would show the printer shares under that host. If workstation has a correct NET USE LPTx \\computer\printer and you are still getting the problem, I've seen this situation in a Windows Vista environment where the Vista workstation is attempting to share the printer that the xharbour application is trying to access. Apparently, it is not possible to DOS print to a sharename hosted by that same workstation. I have worked around this by sharing the printer from the server, rathe...

Only allow a printer server on network printer
How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall perhaps to the printer? TIA Patrick ...

Printer Ink
Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill - Hi, I am working on a new Website, www.Printer-Ink.biz, for information on Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill. I already have some information about Printer Ink on the website - www.Printer-Ink.biz; what I am looking for is pictures and diagrams of how printer ink, printer ink cartridge and printer ink refill work for the www.Printer-ink.biz website. Specifically, I am looking for good pictures of printer ink, printer ink cartridge, or printer refill in action, maybe in a ink jet printer or laser printer - however, diagrams of how printer ink, printer ink cartridge, or printer ink refill work in a laser printer, ink jet printer, or even dot matrix printer might be interesting as well. Please only send your own images - with your pictures, please include permission to post them on www.Printer-Ink.biz . Images to pics@Printer-Ink.biz . Thank you, info@Printer-Ink.biz Subject : Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill for www.Printer-Ink.biz flrealbot@yahoo.com wrote: > Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink > Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill > - > > Hi, > > > I am working on a new Website, www.Printer-Ink.biz, for information on > Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink ...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Printer server
I have a small network, PCs and iMac, and I'm looking for a printer server. I like Netgear PS110. Does anybody has any experience of using it in a mix environment Mac/PC ? Any comments ? Thanks - Tom -- --- Mr.Ter[no #spam]ntlworld.com ...

Win32-Printer
My program had been running fine on a XP Home system until I re-installed the printer drivers and software for an HP 1315. I removed ALL of the latest Perl system and re-installed it and again my programs will not print to the printer. Any ideas? Thanks, Jerry ...

printer server
Hi everyone, I have a printer server, and clients. All machines running which Windows 2000. My problem is when new user login in one client machine, he hasn't the printer of the server. Exists some way so that all users even have it? (Active Directory, regit...) thanks for all ...

printer server
Hi everyone, I have a printer server, and clients. All machines running which Windows 2000. My problem is when new user login in one client machine, he hasn't the printer of the server. Exists some way so that all users even have it? (Active Directory, local register.) Exists some way by? thanks for all My excuses for my English language ...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

Printer addendum for HP printer

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

Phaser printers and LED printers
I have need to purchase, for a small office environment, a printer for color brochures. It needs to handle speeds in the 10-20 pages per minute range and mainly for letter size paper. Target price is $1000-1200. I prefer something other than inkjet printers for this application, and recent color laser printer output I've seen is quite good. There seem to be several models from the major manufacturers available for under a grand, but they seem to cluster around 4 pages per minute in color, which is too slow. We will be printing runs of a few hundred pages at a time, probably 2-3 times a month. The Xerox Phaser 8200 looks good; it is not a laser printer, but it's output is very nice, and consumables seem to have reasonable cost. The Oki 5300 also seems to fill the bill, but I believe that it's an LED printer, and I've been warned that LED printers can have registration problems. Would any kind soul care to share their views on this topic??? TIA, Dwight Huffman In article <3FA089D2.5FFC9088@gte.net>, Dwight Huffman <d.huffman@gte.net> writes > >The Xerox Phaser 8200 looks good; it is not a laser printer, but it's >output is very nice, and consumables seem to have reasonable cost. > I bought one of these nearly a month ago now, good output and pretty simple for adding ink etc. I've seen reports that you need to leave it on to avoid ink being used in cleaning cycles when powering on and off, ...

Error calling Win32::Printer from a perl script hosted in IIS on Win2k3
Hi all, 2 stoppers for me in 1 week - I'm getting OLD...... My test perl script (below test.pl) that uses Win32::Printer to print images and text, works fine from the command prompt, but, when called from a web page hosted in IIS I get: "ERROR: Cannot create printer object! The operation completed successfully." Nothing in IIS logs Nothing in Windows Logs. Nothing more in Carp. nothing on google. I'm pretty sure this is a priviledge problem. I've tried upping the IUSR account priviledge that IIS uses to call web page scripts to 'local admin', but no joy Any ideas on how / why this is occuring very gratefully recieved! Ta Eadmund Eadmund@Letterbee.com ########################################################################## #!perl use Win32::Printer; my $dc = new Win32::Printer( printer => '\\\\<SERVER>\\<MyLASERPRINTER>', papersize => A4, color => COLOR, orientation => PORTRAIT, description => '', unit => 'pt' ); my $font = $dc->Font('Arial Bold', 24); $dc->Font($font); $dc->Color(0, 0, 255); $dc->Write("Hello, Mars!", 10, 10); $dc->Page(); $image_handle = $dc->Image("tr7.jpg"); $dc->Image($image_handle, 0, 0, 600, 800); $dc->End(); $dc->Close(); exit 0; ##########################################...

Error calling Win32::Printer from a perl script hosted in IIS on Win2k3 #2
[...]

printer
Hello, I have te possibility to buy a DMP2000 printer. It is new, never been used, how much to pay for this? THX,Fabien "Fabien Nicaud" <fabien.nicaud@wanadoo.fr> a �crit dans le message de news: bq8908$3vk$1@news-reader5.wanadoo.fr... > Hello, > > I have te possibility to buy a DMP2000 printer. It is new, never been used, > how much to pay for this? > > THX,Fabien > > Always a harsh question... It can go from none to a dozen of euros... I guess the right price is the price you're willing to pay for it ! ;-) Charles ...

Printer
I'm heartily sick of the running costs of my Cannon i865 - every time I want to use it, and that's not much, it needs new cartridges. Which cost a fortune. I could get Michelangelo to draw things for me for less. So am I right in saying a laser will be much cheaper for occasional use - no head cleaning to waste ink? If so, which one? Mono is fine. Using an RPC with 4.39. And a Unipod for USB - if needed. And would I be better using a driver prog that shares it with my PC? Details would be nice. -- *Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word? Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4fee2484cddave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > I'm heartily sick of the running costs of my Cannon i865 - every time I > want to use it, and that's not much, it needs new cartridges. Which cost > a fortune. I could get Michelangelo to draw things for me for less. > So am I right in saying a laser will be much cheaper for occasional use > - no head cleaning to waste ink? > If so, which one? Mono is fine. Using an RPC with 4.39. And a Unipod for > USB - if needed. And would I be better using a driver prog that shares > it with my PC? Details would be nice. I have used Canon printers for a long time and found them quite economical, though I never had an i865. The print head looks much like the one of my IP ...

printer
Printer light is on but not responding. Can't print anything. ----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse@newsone.net ...

printer
Hello, Im looking for a way to print direct out of my win32-application (without any common-dialog). I must use Win-sdk. If its possible would you send me an example source code. Thank you very much Maxwell Read This. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;124649 Ali R. "Maxwell" <matthias.eiser@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message news:bn3sjb$qgd6u$1@ID-207861.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hello, > > Im looking for a way to print direct out of my win32-application (without > any common-dialog). I must use Win-sdk. If its po...

printer
I'm a looking for a good quality inkjet printer for good quality digital photography printing . I would bre grateful for any recommended models thanks t ...

Printer interface
My application prints to an image printer that prints 4x6 prints. The printer driver is installed and working correctly. The windows print queue detects out of paper errors etc. How can I do that from my application? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks! FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification, FindNextPrinterChangeNotification et al. Christian <njmedic2669@gmail.com> wrote in message news:01574200-261e-41d3-9a60-0d3592b14e52@y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com... > My application prints to an image printer that prints 4x6 prints. > The > printer driver is install...

Printer name = printer driver name ?
Hello, here's something I would like to understand. My new HP 1012 laser printer is connected to a WIN98SE PC. This PC is in a network with two WIN2000 PC's. After installing the drivers on these PC's I notice that the printer does not have the share name I assigned to it at the WIN98SE PC, but rather the name of the driver. Everything works at this moment, but... this looks strange to me. Did I do something wrong ? Any comments ? Thank you -- R-ton ...

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Web resources about - Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) - comp.lang.perl.modules