Re: Tk and xdefaults on windows (prompted by Re: Tk's lack of "chrome") #2

Nick Ing-Simmons <nick@ing-simmons.net> writes:

> Hans Jeuken <haje@toneel.demon.nl> writes:
> >> I well thought out set of xresources can help X11
> >> for sure. Windows might be a little more tricky
> >> as core tk (as currently ported) aims to use "native look".
> >>

> >A couple of years ago i had a W98 machine and i was
> >sharing my linux home folder on that machines through
> >samba. When launching a perl/Tk script from that
> >shared drive on the W98 it used the settings in
> >the .Xdefaults file in my homedirectory on my linux
> >machine. I do not remember if all settings were correct,
> >but at least background colours matched.
>
> I know how basics work as I have used them myself.
> You are correct that for some meaning of "home directory"
> (which isn't really a Win32 concept)

I once found this API call:

    my $server = get_domain_server();
    if (defined $server) {
        my($userinfo) = {};
        Win32API::Net::UserGetInfo($server, Win32::LoginName(), 2, $userinfo);
        if ($userinfo) {
            return $userinfo->{homeDir}; # this is the "home" directory
        }
    }

Which probably only works in a networked windows environment.

Otherwise there are some environment variables which possibly denote a
"home" directory: HOMEDRIVE+HOMEPATH, USERPROFILE, HOMESHARE, HOME...

Regards,
        Slaven

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de

Tk-AppMaster: a perl/Tk module launcher designed for handhelds
	http://tk-appmaster.sf.net

Slaven
12/14/2005 10:51:21 PM
comp.lang.perl.tk 4721 articles. 0 followers. pharrendorf (19) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Tk and xdefaults on windows (prompted by Re: Tk's lack of "chrome")
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060901000703020502040104 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Not sure about where/how the .Xdefaults file is read on Windows, however I am sure that one can read application-specific X resource files on Unix or Windows via the Tk::CmdLine module. (I contributed that code a few years back.) How to do it is in the documentation for Tk::CmdLine. Adios, Hans Jeuken wrote: > On Friday 09 December 2005 13:58, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote: > >> Hans Jeuken...

Tk and xdefaults on windows (prompted by Re: Tk's lack of "chrome") #2
Hans Jeuken <haje@toneel.demon.nl> writes: >> I well thought out set of xresources can help X11 >> for sure. Windows might be a little more tricky >> as core tk (as currently ported) aims to use "native look". >> > >A couple of years ago i had a W98 machine and i was >sharing my linux home folder on that machines through >samba. When launching a perl/Tk script from that >shared drive on the W98 it used the settings in >the .Xdefaults file in my homedirectory on my linux >machine. I do not remember if all settings were co...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #2
Dean Arnold wrote: > 3) Have you considered the browser based alternatves ? (Forgive > the buzzwords) People are doing some amazing things w/ AJAX, > and with the availablity of XUL and/or XAML (or whatever MSFT > is calling Avalon these days), the browser seems to be the direction > everyone is headed. Followup: for an idea whats possible w/ Javascript + XUL, see http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/venkman/screenshots/venkman-20030427.gif (Venkman is a Javascript debugger (IDE, actually) for Mozilla/Firefox browsers) Lots more screenshots at http://www.ha...

Tk and xdefaults on windows (prompted by Re: Tk's lack of "chrome")
On Friday 09 December 2005 13:58, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote: > Hans Jeuken <haje@toneel.demon.nl> writes: > >It's not a very serious note what i have to say, > >but in all the shiny glittery new gui's like qt and gtk(2) > >and wrappers like wx, somehow, i don;t find > >perl/Tk looking old fashioned looking, as i have seen > >other people saying in this discussion, > >if you take a little care of your xresources file. > > I well thought out set of xresources can help X11 > for sure. Windows might be a little more tricky > ...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?)
--- Nick Ing-Simmons <nick@ing-simmons.net> wrote: > > I have had various of list (and even day job) > complaints that perk/Tk > "looks old fashioned". As far as I know, all of this is being addressed in the latest versions of Tk. Now, we should have native support on different platforms, and themes are coming. So the situation will change. > Also tracking/converting Tcl/Tk is a pain (and core > Tk is where > most of the "look" comes from). > > So for perl6 (when it comes) I would rather > write/help-out-with a &g...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #12
Paul Falbe <paul@cassens.com> writes: >Now seems a good time to mention some work we've been doing >with froglogic.com. I needed to do some programming for PDAs running >Qtopia. Since, I am better programmer in PerlTk then C++/Qt >I commissioned Harri Porten of froglogic.com to build me >perlTk emmulator if you will using the Qt toolkit instead >of Tk. The project is far enough along that I have a 7300+ >Pq (Perl with Qt) project. The syntax is perlTk but >uses Qt. Sounds interesting. Qt is another option. My preference for gtk is mainly bia...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #11
It's not a very serious note what i have to say, but in all the shiny glittery new gui's like qt and gtk(2) and wrappers like wx, somehow, i don;t find perl/Tk looking old fashioned looking, as i have seen other people saying in this discussion, if you take a little care of your xresources file. http://www.toneel.demon.nl/codit_screenshot.png Hans -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message body of "unsubscribe p...

RE: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #13
.... > >Pq (Perl with Qt) project. The syntax is perlTk but > >uses Qt. > > Sounds interesting. > Qt is another option. My preference for gtk is mainly biased by > non-western language support - but I haven't looked at Qt recently. as for yet another usage of perl/Tk syntax, quite usabe will be 'ck', so to have curses application within perl. Ck is tcl extension, making character-based console widgets. What is wrong with non-western language support in perl/Tk or tcl/tk, BTW? -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== Thi...

RE: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #10
> Now seems a good time to mention some work we've been doing > with froglogic.com. I needed to do some programming for PDAs running Very interesting for me (as I do some perlce work on perl too) Yor PDA runs Linux, most probably? > Qtopia. Since, I am better programmer in PerlTk then C++/Qt > I commissioned Harri Porten of froglogic.com to build me > perlTk emmulator if you will using the Qt toolkit instead > of Tk. The project is far enough along that I have a 7300+ > Pq (Perl with Qt) project. The syntax is perlTk but > uses Qt. That is the ...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #14
Hans Jeuken <haje@toneel.demon.nl> writes: >It's not a very serious note what i have to say, >but in all the shiny glittery new gui's like qt and gtk(2) >and wrappers like wx, somehow, i don;t find >perl/Tk looking old fashioned looking, as i have seen >other people saying in this discussion, >if you take a little care of your xresources file. I well thought out set of xresources can help X11 for sure. Windows might be a little more tricky as core tk (as currently ported) aims to use "native look". A VERY simple project would be to ma...

RE: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #18
Vadim Konovalov <vkonovalov@spb.lucent.com> writes: > >What is wrong with non-western language support in perl/Tk or tcl/tk, BTW? 1. Direction support e.g. right to left for Arabic or Hebrew script, and (I think) vertical for Chinese to have a traditional look. 2. Composite characters - while western scripts typically have precomposed accented characters à and digraphs Æ with other scripts these have to be done by kerning accents into right place relative to base character. 3. Context dependant glyphs - Arabic has one code point represented ...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #15
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote: >Paul Falbe <paul@cassens.com> writes: > > >>Now seems a good time to mention some work we've been doing >>with froglogic.com. I needed to do some programming for PDAs running >>Qtopia. Since, I am better programmer in PerlTk then C++/Qt >>I commissioned Harri Porten of froglogic.com to build me >>perlTk emmulator if you will using the Qt toolkit instead >>of Tk. The project is far enough along that I have a 7300+ >>Pq (Perl with Qt) project. The syntax is perlTk but >>uses Qt. >...

Re: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #16
Konovalov, Vadim wrote: > <> > What is wrong with non-western language support in perl/Tk or tcl/tk, BTW? For one, it is currently limited to Character encodings, and limited support of Unicode, unless I missed something. There are other aspects to consider for several langauges. Support for special input methods, bidi support for languages that read right-to-left. Support for diacritics and more complex ligatures which suggest on-the-fly transformations as data is input. Some of these things are lofty goals but are being tackled in other GUI toolkits. CJK langu...

RE: Tk's lack of "chrome" (prompted by Re: Tk::FunkyButton ?) #7
> > So for perl6 (when it comes) I would rather > > write/help-out-with a native perl/XS GUI > > I'm echoing the comments of Ala and Steve. I think the best > route is to > somehow tie into the tcl toolkit instead. Although - I would > certainly miss > being able to create pure perl/Tk megawidgets. If that could > be kept then > all the better. I also think that tieing into the tcl toolkit is a good way. Additionally, I want to mention, that its could be possible to use existing pure perl perlTk megawidgets. perlTk megawidgets are b...

Web resources about - Re: Tk and xdefaults on windows (prompted by Re: Tk's lack of "chrome") #2 - comp.lang.perl.tk