Tcl/Tk 8.5 released

Now that 8.5 is "official", I was wondering what the
status of the various Perl Tk interfaces (Perl/Tk,
Tcl::Tk, Tkx) is wrt using it ? I'm guessing that merging
Perl/Tk with it may be a herculean task. Have the other
kits managed to use/support 8.5 yet ?

Regards,
Dean Arnold
Presicient Corp.
0
Dean
12/27/2007 6:31:50 PM
comp.lang.perl.tk 4721 articles. 0 followers. pharrendorf (19) is leader. Post Follow

On Dec 27, 1:31 pm, Dean Arnold <dean.arn...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Now that 8.5 is "official", I was wondering what the
> status of the various Perl Tk interfaces (Perl/Tk,
> Tcl::Tk, Tkx) is wrt using it ? I'm guessing that merging
> Perl/Tk with it may be a herculean task. Have the other
> kits managed to use/support 8.5 yet ?
>
> Regards,
> Dean Arnold
> Presicient Corp.

Tile is mostly a Windows theme add-on isn't it? perl is a little more
ecumenical, maybe.  As for the new widgets in Tk, I think they all
exist already in pTk.
--S
0
smallpond
12/28/2007 2:09:37 AM
I have been wondering the same thing.

This new release of Tcl/Tk brings a much-needed update to the look of Tk
  with the addition of the "Tile" widgets to the Tcl/Tk core code.

I recently tried the perl package Tck::Tk with the Tcl/Tk 8.5 and it
appears to work with the 8.5 Tcl/Tk release with no changes.

I wonder what the direction should be for perltk to update the 8.5
Tcl/Tk version? Two possible options:

1) Update the existing perltk code base for the 8.5 changes, including
incorporating all the new "Tile" widgets. This could be a huge task,
considering all the new widgets added by the "Tile" package.

2) Work on the perl syntax compatibility issues in Tcl::Tk (including
megawidget support) so that most/all existing perltk code will work with
it. This could also be a huge task, might be better in the long run,
because future updates for Tcl/Tk version changes would be easier to
handle. This approach would also put the perltk interface more in-line
with other dynamic languages (python, ruby) approach for integration
with Tcl/Tk.

Any thoughts?

Dean Arnold wrote:
> Now that 8.5 is "official", I was wondering what the
> status of the various Perl Tk interfaces (Perl/Tk,
> Tcl::Tk, Tkx) is wrt using it ? I'm guessing that merging
> Perl/Tk with it may be a herculean task. Have the other
> kits managed to use/support 8.5 yet ?
>
> Regards,
> Dean Arnold
> Presicient Corp.
0
John

Using Tcl::Tk Module with Tcl/Tk 8.5
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it is with relation to the Tcl::Tk module, rather than Perl/Tk specifically. I'd like to use Tcl::Tk with Tcl/Tk 8.5 rather than 8.4. To that end, on a clean Debian Testing system I have installed only Tcl/Tk 8.5 and also finally managed to install the Tcl::Tk module. I was having problems installing the Tcl-0.95 module, which Tcl::Tk depends on, but fixed it with a specific include path call: >sudo perl Makefile.PL --tclsh /usr/bin/tclsh8.5 --tclconfig /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --include /usr/include/tcl8.5 Fo...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 Release Announcement November 16, 2009 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.8 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the eighth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 Release Announcement October 15, 2008 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.5 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fifth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.5 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Perl/Tk and Tk 8.5
Is there any word on when the enhancements in Tk 8.5 (Tiles, themes, better-looking widgets) will be made available in the Perl/Tk port? I know that ActiveState has made some of this available for awhile in the "Tkx" module, but I'm interested in cross-platform support and am wondering when 8.5 will be incorporated in the base "Tk" port module. [Cross-posted to comp.lang.perl.tk with follow-ups set to go there.] Steve wrote: > Is there any word on when the enhancements in Tk 8.5 (Tiles, themes, > better-looking widgets) will be made available in the P...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.8 Release Candidates
Release Candidate downloads of the 8.5.8 releases of Tcl and Tk may now be found at ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/ The actual releases of these files should come on Monday, Nov. 16. Until then, enjoy this advance preview, and if you find anything catastrophically wrong with them, please inform me so we can fix the problem before the true release. Thanks! DGP Donald G Porter wrote: > > Release Candidate downloads of the 8.5.8 releases of Tcl and Tk may > now be found at > > ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/ You may also want to take a look at the draft release ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.14 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.14 Release Announcement April 3, 2013 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.14 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fourteenth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.14 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange we...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.4 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.4 Release Announcement August 15, 2008 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.4 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fourth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.4 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.1 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.1 Release Announcement February 5, 2008 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.1 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the first patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.1 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.6 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.6 Release Announcement December 23, 2008 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.6 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the sixth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.6 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.16 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.16 Release Announcement August 25, 2014 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.16 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the sixteenth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.16 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange w...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.15 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.15 Release Announcement September 18, 2012 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.15 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fifteenth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.15 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchang...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 Release Announcement September 8, 2010 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.9 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the ninth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.10 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.10 Release Announcement June 24, 2011 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.10 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the tenth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.10 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: ...

Tcl/Tk 8.5.13 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.5.13 Release Announcement November 12, 2012 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.5.13 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the twelfth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.5. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.5.13 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange w...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk 8.5 released - comp.lang.perl.tk

Lists of films released by Disney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Independent Horror Movie To Be Released Via Facebook Game?
There are movies , and there are Facebook games , and there are even Facebook games based on movies . And now, thanks to Cardiff, U.K.-based ...

Senator Reid has been released from the... - Senator Harry Reid - Facebook
Senator Reid has been released from the hospital and is back at home with his wife, Landra. As previously stated, he went to the hospital as ...

How is the Facebook Redesign Affecting Social Games? October Gaming Charts Released
... attention now to social games. How has the Facebook redesign affected the top game developers on Facebook? Inside Social Games has just released ...

faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction: Source Code released http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo #search ...
faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction: Source Code released http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo #search #algorithm

→ 5by5 Radio app released
Nice app to listen to our shows live, and buying it is a great way to support 5by5. We discussed its features and design decisions in the last ...

HTC ONE M8 Hands On Review Not Released Yet:FULL - YouTube
re-uploaded because the original was taken down by a noob reviewer. ENJOY Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NiallDeBarra

Men arrested in London attack on Emiratis released - The National
Metropolitan Police in the UK said the men will return on bail in June and be reinterviewed.

Hillary Clinton Campaign Meltdown: Top-Secret Emails ‘Innocuous,’ Should Be Released
Hillary Clinton Campaign Meltdown: Top-Secret Emails 'Innocuous,' Should Be Released

Massive Attack released 'Ritual Spirit' EP
Massive Attack released an iPhone app last week called Fantom, a "sensory music player" that remixes songs using your heartbeat, location, and ...