Weird and downright annoying error: 'selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted'

Hi all,

We recently upgraded our systems including a perl upgrade to version
5.8.7. I've noticed some damn weird things, but so far only one has
affected Tk.

If I have a text box with a certain number of characters in it (no idea
how many - the example this is happening with is a few hundred lines
long) and I then select all the text, perl bails (instant tear-down of
the gui) but all that is printed to stderr is:

selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted

A google search finds this is a Tk panic error, but that's about all I
can find. No help in some way of avoiding this.

Anyone have any ideas?

(As an aside, if anyone knows why perl might be randomly (ie I can't
replicate it in test code but its definitely happening sometimes)
inserting /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 at the start of @INC even
after I've use'd lib another path I'd be really interested to know...)

M *grumble* B
0
Matthew
7/12/2005 6:22:00 AM
comp.lang.perl.tk 4721 articles. 0 followers. pharrendorf (19) is leader. Post Follow

Perl/Tk: 'selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted' error on large text selection
Hi all, I've written about this before, but it's come back and I still haven't found what the problem is. Basically, in Perl/Tk if a textbox has a lot of text in it (no idea on the limit yet - all I know is that it has to be a _lot_ of text), and all the text is selected (and therefore copied to the clipboard) the entire perl process is halted, the gui disappears and the error: selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted appears on the command line. This appears to be a tcl panic error (hence the cross-post to comp.lang.tcl as I'm not sure where the problem i...

Solution [ Perl/Tk: 'selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted' error on large text selection ]
After I got bitten enough by this error and found no solution on the web I had to debug it myself. For me it looks like the following: - text get selected from Tk::Text - TkSelPropProc in ./pTk/mTk/unix/tkUnixSelect.c gets called to handle the selection which determines that the display supports utf-8 and thus gets Encoding::utf8 as the responsable encoder (see Encode::Encoding for the interface) - then it calls Tcl_UtfToExternal to convert the selection from internal format to utf8, this function is defined in encGlue.c and just calls CallEncode in the same fil...

Tk::ROText: selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted
Hi folks, I_m using perl 5.8.7 + Tk 800.027 and when i select some text in the Tk::ROText widget and try it to copy somewhere else, my perl program will crash with the message: "selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted". The problem occures, if I have ISO8859-1 characters (german umlauts) written to the widget, anyway, the characters are displayed correctly. I did it on RHEL4 displaying on Windows with X-Manager (from netsarang). I also tried it on SuSE Linux 6.2 on buildin XServer (Perl/tk extra compiled for that). Results were just the same :-( I could...

Parse error: parse error, expecting `','' or `';''
I'm getting the following error Parse error: parse error, expecting `','' or `';'' in /home/notarywe/public_html/php/update2.php on line 108 Here is line 108 <input type="text" name="ud_first" value="<? echo "$first" size="20"?>"></td> Any help would be appreciated. On 3-Aug-2003, "entoone" <entoone@pacbell.net> wrote: > I'm getting the following error Parse error: parse error, expecting `','' > or > `';'' in /home/notarywe/public_h...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ####################...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

error: invalid conversion from 'int' to '__rlimit_resource_t'
I am trying to build ace-5.6.1 on a Redhat linux 7.3 machine. ./ configure;make results in the following error: .../../ace/OS_NS_sys_resource.inl: In function 'int ACE_OS::getrlimit (int, rlimit*)': .../../ace/OS_NS_sys_resource.inl:24: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to '__rlimit_resource_t' .../../ace/OS_NS_sys_resource.inl:24: error: initializing argument 1 of 'int getrlimit(__rlimit_resource_t, rlimit*)' .../../ace/OS_NS_sys_resource.inl: In function 'int ACE_OS::getrusage (int, rusage*)': .../../ace/OS_NS_sys_resource.inl:56: erro...

conditional selection of 'AND' or 'Select' in Oracle
I am working on Oracle reports . One of the parameters that a User inputs is 'report_type'. Now, is there a way to do the following within a SQL query with no use of procedures or functions. select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethingelse = something else //else do nothing Also, IS there a way of doing something like the following // if report_type='some_data' then select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethin...

Throw 'Error()' or 'new Error()'?
With custom exceptions, we have to create a new instance before we throw them: function AppError(msg) { this.msg = msg; // just an example } throw new AppError("I did bad"); To throw a StopIteration, on the other hand, we have to throw it directly: throw StopIteration; // object StopIteration throw new StopIteration(); // TypeError With Error, both are possible: throw Error("oops"); // object Error throw new Error("oops"); // object Error I've seen both forms a number of times now. AppError and Error are functions (St...

'UndefinedObject' error not caught with 'on: Error do:'
Hi, I'm having some trouble getting 'on: Error do:' to work. In the code below, subdExpression contains a maths-type formula that the user has entered, with their variables substituted for the correct values. eg If they enter 'a + 1', a gets replaced with their value for it. But if a does not exist, I want to tell them the error. [result := Compiler evaluate: subdExpression] on: Error do: [:ex | Transcript show: 'error'; cr. ^MessageBox errorMsg: 'There was an error in calculating the answer' caption: 'Calculation Error' ] . But...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y&qu...

conditional selection of 'AND' or 'Select' in Oracle
I am working on Oracle reports . One of the parameters that a User inputs is 'report_type'. Now, is there a way to do the following within a SQL query with no use of procedures or functions. select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethingelse = something else //else do nothing Also, IS there a way of doing something like the following // if report_type='some_data' then select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethin...

conditional Selection of 'AND' and 'Select' statements
I am working on Oracle reports . One of the parameters that a User inputs is 'report_type'. Now, is there a way to do the following within a SQL query with no use of procedures or functions. select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethingelse = something else //else do nothing Also, IS there a way of doing something like the following // if report_type='some_data' then select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethin...

Web resources about - Weird and downright annoying error: 'selection conversion left too many bytes unconverted' - comp.lang.perl.tk