Best text search for many Gigabyte Database?

I have a so big DB, It's about 10-100GB of text.
Now I want to create a searching function but It take too long when I
use LIKE from MySQL
Anyone know the best sollution?
Can I use Google Desktop search or an others?
Please help!

0
ngocviet (8)

ngocviet wrote:

> I have a so big DB, It's about 10-100GB of text.
> Now I want to create a searching function but It take too long when I
> use LIKE from MySQL
> Anyone know the best sollution?
> Can I use Google Desktop search or an others?
> Please help!

If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST().
Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed, but
using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable.
Check your mySQL documentation for details.

Regards,
Erwin Moller
> If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST().
> Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed, but
> using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable.
> Check your mySQL documentation for details.

I've tried FULLTEXT but it take too long, about over 10 seconds with
1.2 Gigabyte table.
If need, I can convert database to other structure.

0
ngocviet (8)
2/5/2007 10:05:14 AM
ngocviet wrote:

>> If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST().
>> Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed,
>> but using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable.
>> Check your mySQL documentation for details.
>
> I've tried FULLTEXT but it take too long, about over 10 seconds with
> 1.2 Gigabyte table.
> If need, I can convert database to other structure.

Hi,

If you use MySQL ISAM with FULLTEXT, and not LIKE, but MATCH AGAINST, you
are using one of the fastest approaches a developer can set up (as far as I
know).
I expect the only way to increase searchspeed for a 100GB database filled
with text, is throwing more/better hardware at it (more memory, faster disk
IO, faster CPU, etc.).
In general: When searching through a huge datastructure: Disk IO is the
bottleneck. So faster disk IO will help the most.
Dive into different RAID systems maybe.
eg: If you have 2 HD delivering data at the same time (using some RAID),
your query will maybe run twice as fast.

Regards,
Erwin Moller
"ngocviet" <ngocviet@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> If you use mySQL, consider using FULLTEXT and MATCH AGAINST().
>> Bottomline stays: If you have 100GB of data, some searchtime is needed,
>> but
>> using FULLTEXT can speed that up considerable.
>> Check your mySQL documentation for details.
>
> I've tried FULLTEXT but it take too long, about over 10 seconds with
> 1.2 Gigabyte table.
> If need, I can convert database to other structure.

A search like that for such an amount of unindexed textual data simply has
to take some time. Live with it, or invest to hardware. Like the IT proverb
says: "If it doesn't work, just throw money at it".

--
"Ohjelmoija  on  organismi  joka  muuttaa  kofeiinia  koodiksi" - lpk
http://outolempi.net/ahdistus/ - Satunnaisesti p�ivittyv� nettisarjis

0
spam4297 (354)
2/5/2007 10:56:35 AM
In addition to MySQL FULLTEXT, you could also use Lucene
(Zend_Search_Lucene in PHP or perhaps Solr running inside Tomcat).
Performance is quite good and Lucene is very flexible.

On Feb 5, 1:27 am, "ngocviet" <ngocv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a so big DB, It's about 10-100GB of text.
> Now I want to create a searching function but It take too long when I
> use LIKE from MySQL
> Anyone know the best sollution?
> Can I use Google Desktop search or an others?
> Please help!

0
petersprc (357)

Search Text in Database
Hi, I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a searchengine. How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in a format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function - but I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the field. Are there maybe even better ways? Thanx in advance. Greg Each field in a given row should store one piece of information. Seperating your data with semicolons suggests that your storing multiple piecies of data in a field that should only be storing a single peice of data. It defeats the puprose of a relational database. Instead you probably want to add a second table that will have a one to many or a third table to setup a many to many relationship with your first table and possibly second. Here are two table ideas but without your DDL I can't know what it is your trying to do so I'm guessing. If you need more information provide your DDL (i.e. your create statements, and some insert statements with sample data). CREATE TABLE Food_Type ( ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, Name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL ) CREATE TABLE Food_Attributes ( ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, Attribute VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL, Food_Type_ID INT NOT NULL ) Then your data could look like this. INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Dinner') INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Lunch') INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Snack'...

What is the best PHP CMS database driven???
Hi! I'm looking for a good php/mysql content management system (CMS). I've been searching the web for good one but get slightly confused beacause of the different definitions of CMS itself and just what the different CMSs can do. This is what I need. * A basic picture/text administration for each web page * The ability to add/remove pages. Preferably with a "for review" or "unofficial" function. * The possibility to choose from a certain set of layout templates that I define myself. * The ability to make new templates online would be desirable, but not necessary ...

How many databases presents in mysql with php
Hi, it is possible to get the number of presents databases in mysql with php? Thanks, Stefano. stefano schreef: > Hi, it is possible to get the number of presents databases in mysql > with php? > Thanks, Stefano. > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/show-databases.html -- Arjen http://www.hondenpage.com ...

many-to-many volunteers database
So I'm setting up a database that will track shows for a theatre and the volunteers that work each show. My events table looks something like: eventsID eventName eventDate .... my volunteer table looks like volunteerID volunteerFirstName volunteerLastName .... my events_volunteers table looks like: eventID volunteerID position okay... but now I'm having trouble assigning volunteers to the shows to created a new events_volunteers entry. I've tried everything that my filemaker book shows, all throughout this list and even experimented more, but I can't seem to find an acce...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many > records and then diplay the records which contains the input. > > Thanks in advance, > > Luke. ...

Best PHP Training | PHP Development Training | PHP Training Institute
Tops Technologies provides php and mysql certification courses in ahmedabad, baroda, surat, Rajkot, Udaipur, Gujarat, india.PHP Training with MySQL is an introductory course in the PHP and MySQL technology. Mysql and php training course, php for beginners, sql training courses, PHP Training courses, php courses, mysql training courses, php mysql course. For More Details :- http://www.tops-int.com ...

how does one normally search for text in a database that might have slashes applied to quotes?
A user writes this sentence: "It was the New Urbanist's nightmare of sprawl run amok." They input that and my PHP script hits it with addslashes() and then the sentence gets put in the database. A slash is likely inserted in front of the quote mark in "Urbanist's". Later the user runs a search of the database for "New Urbanist's nightmare". Even if I run this query using LIKE, nothing will come back? Should I hit the text with addslashes before I run the search? How do most coders handle this? On 28 Sep 2004 12:02:02 -0700, lkrubner@geocities.c...

Full Text search database FTDATA folder full of copies of my documents!!!?
I want to make more room available on my c: disk and discovered a FTDATA directory in sql that is full of (uncompressed) files, like pdf's and tiff's. I wonder why these files are there, because full text search data are not seperate files?! Anyhow, can I delete these files, or can I move the database to another disk? Thanks for help Prem ...

search an Free SQL QUERY TOOL Running on Tomcat with Many DataBase
Hi, I search an Free SQL QUERY TOOL Running on Tomcat with Many DataBase ? Regards Philippe Poster une r�action I could suggest Scribe (www.reportgenerator.org), but it is not free. <pcouas@infodev.fr> wrote in message news:af5681c8.0504090027.3ec84675@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I search an Free SQL QUERY TOOL Running on Tomcat with Many DataBase ? > Regards > Philippe > Poster une r�action ...

Many databases vs. 1 database
Hi, I am trying to determine what the overhead is per database in SQL Server 2000 Standard. I have the option to put several customers in one database, or give each customer their own database. I would like to put each customer in their own database to simplify maintenance and strengthen security. I have found the following document which shows the memory used by various objects in SQL Server: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_ts_8dbn.asp Based on this info I get the following *additional* memory requirements per database: Open Database (1 file, 1 filegroup): 6k Open Objects (250 objects, 30 indexes): 692k Total: 698k Is this an accurate calculation of the overhead? Is there something else that would affect the overhead that I am overlooking? Are there any other downsides to having many databases versus a few databases? Thanks, Mike Hi Having 100's of databases does slow EM down as it need to list them all. That is about it. Regards -------------------------------- Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP Zurich, Switzerland IM: mike@epprecht.net MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/ <mike@rumblegroup.com> wrote in message news:1112124274.309091.156730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to determine what the overhead is per database in SQL > Server 2000 Standard. I have the option to put several customers in one > database, or give e...

Windows Search or Full Text Search
Hey guys Has anybody had any experience working with windows search or Full Text Search? I know this might not be the right forum to post this message to but I'll appreciate any info you may have. Thanks Augusto Infante Dear Augusto: On May 17, 1:57=A0am, Augusto <august...@gmail.com> wrote: > Has anybody had any experience working with > windows search or =A0Full Text Search? I know > this might not be the right forum to post this > message to but I'll appreciate any info you may have. In what context? Win7, trying to find instances of "plethora" in the body of all the files named *.prg, or what? David A. Smith David Yes, exactly that, we are working on a document manager in our app and we need to find portions of text inside files in directories. Thanks Augusto "dlzc" <dlzc1@cox.net> wrote in message news:7d601553-1066-48bc-825a-19b41965f212@u3g2000prl.googlegroups.com... Dear Augusto: On May 17, 1:57 am, Augusto <august...@gmail.com> wrote: > Has anybody had any experience working with > windows search or Full Text Search? I know > this might not be the right forum to post this > message to but I'll appreciate any info you may have. In what context? Win7, trying to find instances of "plethora" in the body of all the files named *.prg, or what? David A. Smith On May 17, 10:57=A0am, "Augusto" <augusto.infa...@xharbour.com> wrote: > "dlzc" <...

Text, search -regexp, elidden text
Hi. It has been a long time, but I'll spare you from tales how my Easter went, and stuff. No, I can't do that. You can skip starting from <here> all the way down there to next \n\n unless you are really interested. That I doubt. My Easter grass didn't grow and as a bonus even the seeds got mold. Dang. But otherwise, great time. Now to my point. I have been drooling for a while at {expand} but none seemed to be interested in wrapping Tcl alphas into Debian packages, and with very humble SparcStation 5 I was not that eager to compile it all by myself. However, I did, just to get that {expand}. After 7 hours of compiling and stuff there it was: my very own Tcl/Tk 8.5a2. Nope, not a3, cvs has next to never worked for me. After crying out loud for huge CPU impact from [clock] (that I read has not yet been optimized, so I forgive you .) I noticed that my highlights weren't working, like at all. So, using Tk/8.5a2: text .t ..t tag configure e -elide 1 ..t insert end "a\nb\nc" puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] ..t tag add e 1.0 2.0 puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] Where the heck is my b? I tried to g00gle for this, and I even pursued Sourceforge bug database to no avail. Or at least I didn't catch it. What I assume is that although [text] man page says "starting with index1 and ending just before index2 (the character at index2 isn't tagged)" the search...

Tk text search and elided text
All, I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. I've got a text widget with some elided text. A search returns the position L.C (properly), but a subsequent search starting at L.C for the same string fails to return L.C. However, a search with the option -elide does return L.C. The elided text is at the beginning of the line, a good 60 characters before the text in question. Here's the example: # -------------------------------- end toplevel .bfw pack [set t [text .bfw.t]] -expand 1 -fill both set elidetext "to elide" $t tag configure toelide -elide 1 $t insert end "random\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "something here missing instantiation\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "other text missing instantiation\n" puts [set res [$t search inst 1.0]] # prints 2.62 - proper starting point for 'inst' puts [$t search inst $res] # prints 3.57 - second occurrence of 'inst' puts [$t search -elide inst $res] # prints 2.62 - first occurrence of 'inst' # -------------------------------- end Am I doing something wrong? Is there some expectation I shouldn't have? I figured that all 3 searches should return 2.62. thanks, TJ bigfaceworm wrote: > All, > > I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. > I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. > ...

search algorithms for searching a body of text
Im looking for an efficent search algorithm which searches a body of text (under 3,000 words) looking for keywords. What would be the best algorithm to employ. The body of text may be a XML document (in which case id like to be able to search the XML elements eg search for 'Alan Turing' in the element tag author) Thanks in adavance for any pointers sal achhala wrote: > Im looking for an efficent search algorithm which searches a body of text > (under 3,000 words) looking for keywords. > > What would be the best algorithm to employ. This is going to depend on the situation. There are algorithms that will give you a straight linear-time search. There are also algorithms that will perform better if you can index the documents first, but the indexing itself will be at least linear-time. So are you going to be handed a document you've never seen before and asked to search it, or are you asked to search a document or body of documents that you've already been given (the implication of the latter being that time for document addition is less important than search time)? > The body of text may be a XML document (in which case id like to be able to > search the XML elements eg search for 'Alan Turing' in the element tag > author) That would be a similar task, but you'd parse the XML first and then only search the relevant bits. Whether you'd use SAX or DOM to parse depends on whether you'll likely be searc...

count--how many times a string(im searching for that string) will come in an existing text file.(dont count if it is in comments)
create a vi that opens an existing file(text file)&nbsp; (im using labview version 7) and count ---howmany times a string(im searching for this string )&nbsp;will come&nbsp;in that file(dont count if it is in the comments like it is followed by ;) &nbsp; &nbsp; take example like&nbsp; im searching&nbsp; for a string named "lab" in a text file &nbsp; if the &nbsp;file has data like as follows &nbsp; &nbsp;lab lab lab lab gjjhjhjklj ; lab khhjkkjj lab llab&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb...

How many PHP calls is too many for one webpage?
On my homepage, I have five 'require_once' calls and within one of those, two more 'require_once' calls. I want to increase this from those seven to about twelve. This seems like no problem but I'm wondering what the most anyone else has tried without any costly degradation of load time. Thanks a bunch. On Apr 15, 12:09=A0pm, Evolution <cryptoz...@gmail.com> wrote: > On my homepage, I have five 'require_once' calls and within one of > those, two more 'require_once' calls. =A0I want to increase this from > those seven to about twelve. =A0This seems like no problem but I'm > wondering what the most anyone else has tried without any costly > degradation of load time. > Thanks a bunch. To be more specific, what I want to do is include other php files to make up my sidebar based on which page I'm calling from. For example, I don't want to include a link to our schedule of speakers if that is the page that I am on. Would a case statement be the best way to handle this? p.s. if not obvious, I'm a php newbie. On 15-04-2011 21:17, Evolution wrote: > On Apr 15, 12:09 pm, Evolution <cryptoz...@gmail.com> wrote: >> On my homepage, I have five 'require_once' calls and within one of >> those, two more 'require_once' calls. I want to increase this from >> those seven to about twelve. This seems like no problem but I'm >> wondering what the most anyone el...

How many PHP calls is too many for one webpage?
On my homepage, I have five 'require_once' calls and within one of those, two more 'require_once' calls. I want to increase this from those seven to about twelve. This seems like no problem but I'm wondering what the most anyone else has tried without any costly degradation of load time. Thanks a bunch. On Apr 15, 12:06=A0pm, Evolution <cryptoz...@gmail.com> wrote: > On my homepage, I have five 'require_once' calls and within one of > those, two more 'require_once' calls. =A0I want to increase this from > those seven to about twelve. =A0This seems like no problem but I'm > wondering what the most anyone else has tried without any costly > degradation of load time. > > Thanks a bunch. Sorry. I inadvertently posted to the wrong newsgroup. I apologize for any annoyance this may have caused. ...

Looking for a search engine that search a mysql database
I have been using phpdig in some websites but now I stored a lot of larger texts into a mysql database. In the phpdig search engine, when you entered a search word, the page where the search word was found was displayed with about 2 lines before and 2 lines behind the search word itself. Let us say you look for "peanut butter" an the word is found in a larger text about sandwiches, even when it is on the 40th line of the text you would get something like "www.mysite.com/sandwich.php ....In Holland peanut butter is a popular spread on sandwiches " A query like "SE...

How to search list of particular text values into free text
Hi All, Please if anyone has idea about how to search particular list of text values from one small table to free text variable in large dataset and when finds the value, update the large dataset. I have small lookup table (around 120 records) for example: Category Types; Type_1 Mangos, Type_1 Pineapples, Type_2 Onions, Type_2 Tomatoes, … Type_n typeN. Now I need to search each particular text values (variable-Types) from the above small table into my large dataset which has free text variable called “Order_details”. For example: Order_details: The last order was for the Mangos on Nov 11...

Best of the best,of the best, with honors.
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm And now watch the WinTrolls blow a gasket in 3, 2, 1..... Hehe On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:57:54 PM UTC-4, jdear wrote: > http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm > > And now watch the WinTrolls blow a gasket in 3, 2, 1..... > > > Hehe 3.5" screen and 9" screen. Hehehe is right. Goes to watch a 3D movie on 70" Pioneer Kuro. ...

Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='F:\www\include') in F:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22
Hi, Guys=EF=BC=8Cwhen I run my site ,I got some errors: Warning: require_once(PEAR.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in F:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR \Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path=3D'F:\www\include') in F:\Program Files \PHP\PEAR\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 It appears that it cann't find the pear.php ,but i checked my dir,and this file was there,and also I have my php.ini file checked,the include_path=3Dinclude_path=3D".;F:\Program Files\PHP\pear;F:\www \include" ,it looks all right,was there anything I have missed in the config file?Or something wrong ? Wish somebody can help me out. Thanks, Mikay >Warning: require_once(PEAR.php) [function.require-once]: failed to >open stream: No such file or directory in F:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR >\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 >Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening >required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='F:\www\include') in F:\Program Files >\PHP\PEAR\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 So where is the pear.php file? >It appears that it cann't find the pear.php ,but i checked my dir,and >this file was there,and also I have my php.ini file checked,the >include_path=include_path=".;F:\Program Files\PHP\pear;F:\www >\include" ,it looks all right,was there anything I have missed in the >config...

Web resources about - Best text search for many Gigabyte Database? - comp.lang.php

Crate Raises $4M for New Container Database Technology
The founder of Docker Inc. invests in new technology that provides a very different and very distributed way to build a container database.