Does a lower php.ini replace an upper php.ini in the directory tree ? Activation in .htaccess necessary ?

As far as I know I can override the php settings for a certain branch of the whole directory tree
by putting a additional, new php.ini in this directory.

Is this true ?

If I assign in this new php.ini only a new value to 1 (!) php variable are then all the
other php parameter values taken from the next php.ini when I go towards the root of
the directory tree? Or - otherwise - are default built-in values from PHP taken in this case ?

Do I have to do something else to activate this new php.ini (e.g. specify something in the
..htaccess file) ?

Lars

0
LarsWill (7)

Greetings, Lars Willich.

LW> As far as I know I can override the php settings for a certain branch of the whole directory tree
LW> by putting a additional, new php.ini in this directory.

LW> Is this true ?

AFAIK, it was removed some builds ago to avoid unpredictable results.

LW> If I assign in this new php.ini only a new value to 1 (!) php variable are then all the
LW> other php parameter values taken from the next php.ini when I go towards the root of
LW> the directory tree? Or - otherwise - are default built-in values from PHP taken in this case ?

Default, because PHP read only single INI file.

LW> Do I have to do something else to activate this new php.ini (e.g. specify something in the
LW> .htaccess file) ?

Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP as web
scripting engine?
Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control it's
behaviour.
Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on which SAPI You
use) to create default environment.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
10/27/2007 9:51:15 AM
Lars Willich wrote:
> As far as I know I can override the php settings for a certain branch of the whole directory tree
> by putting a additional, new php.ini in this directory.
>
> Is this true ?
>
> If I assign in this new php.ini only a new value to 1 (!) php variable are then all the
> other php parameter values taken from the next php.ini when I go towards the root of
> the directory tree? Or - otherwise - are default built-in values from PHP taken in this case ?
>
> Do I have to do something else to activate this new php.ini (e.g. specify something in the
> .htaccess file) ?
>
> Lars

   DOn't know about others but in addition to .htaccess you can
over-ride  ini entries within Apache virtual-host entries.

See:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ini.php

scroll to bottom for examples...

Norm
0
npeelman (606)
10/27/2007 1:18:17 PM
AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Lars Willich.
>
> LW> As far as I know I can override the php settings for a certain branch of the whole directory tree
> LW> by putting a additional, new php.ini in this directory.
>
> LW> Is this true ?
>
> AFAIK, it was removed some builds ago to avoid unpredictable results.
>
> LW> If I assign in this new php.ini only a new value to 1 (!) php variable are then all the
> LW> other php parameter values taken from the next php.ini when I go towards the root of
> LW> the directory tree? Or - otherwise - are default built-in values from PHP taken in this case ?
>
> Default, because PHP read only single INI file.
>
> LW> Do I have to do something else to activate this new php.ini (e.g. specify something in the
> LW> .htaccess file) ?
>
> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP as web
> scripting engine?
> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control it's
> behaviour.
> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on which SAPI You
> use) to create default environment.

I always use php.ini to set the basic commands.  I'll use the httpd.conf
to modify specific directories for specific commands, but that's all.

It's stupid to load all of your configuration stuff in httpd.conf.  And
even worse to put it in .htaccess!

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

0
jstucklex (14659)
10/27/2007 2:15:16 PM
Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> I always use php.ini to set the basic commands.  I'll use the httpd.conf
> to modify specific directories for specific commands, but that's all.

> It's stupid to load all of your configuration stuff in httpd.conf.  And
> even worse to put it in .htaccess!

We're speaking about specific needs (say, handling dynamic signatures and file
downloads).

Why I said

>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on which SAPI You
>> use) to create default environment.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
10/27/2007 2:46:52 PM
AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>
>> I always use php.ini to set the basic commands.  I'll use the httpd.conf
>> to modify specific directories for specific commands, but that's all.
>
>> It's stupid to load all of your configuration stuff in httpd.conf.  And
>> even worse to put it in .htaccess!
>
> We're speaking about specific needs (say, handling dynamic signatures and file
> downloads).
>
> Why I said
>
>>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on which SAPI You
>>> use) to create default environment.

Try your full comment:

 >>> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP
 >>> as web scripting engine?
 >>>
 >>> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
 >>> it's behaviour.
 >>>
 >>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on
 >>> which SAPI You use) to create default environment.

I restate.  It is stupid to place everything in your httpd.conf,
directly or indirectly by placing it in a file called in your
httpd.conf.  PHP.INI is the initialization file for PHP, and should be
used as such.

Everything in the world does not belong in your httpd.conf, directly or
indirectly.  It is the Apache configuration file, not the PHP, Perl,
MySQL and the rest-of-the-world configuration file. It should be used as
such - for configuring Apache and things which are specific to the
server, a virtual host or a directory.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
10/27/2007 3:02:01 PM
Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> AnrDaemon wrote:
>> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>>
>>> I always use php.ini to set the basic commands.  I'll use the httpd.conf
>>> to modify specific directories for specific commands, but that's all.
>>
>>> It's stupid to load all of your configuration stuff in httpd.conf.  And
>>> even worse to put it in .htaccess!
>>
>> We're speaking about specific needs (say, handling dynamic signatures and file
>> downloads).
>>
>> Why I said

> Try your full comment:

>  >>> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP
>  >>> as web scripting engine?
>  >>>
>  >>> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
>  >>> it's behaviour.
>  >>>
>  >>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on
>  >>> which SAPI You use) to create default environment.

> I restate.  It is stupid to place everything in your httpd.conf,

You're indeed right. Any better comments?

> directly or indirectly by placing it in a file called in your
> httpd.conf.  PHP.INI is the initialization file for PHP, and should be
> used as such.

Well, please, how I can change PHP/Apache behaviour in single directory using
one PHP.ini?

> Everything in the world does not belong in your httpd.conf, directly or
> indirectly.  It is the Apache configuration file, not the PHP, Perl,
> MySQL and the rest-of-the-world configuration file. It should be used as
> such - for configuring Apache and things which are specific to the
> server, a virtual host or a directory.

Apache module from httpd.conf. What's wrong?
Or You just want a place to spread Your idealism? Sorry, I'm not a good
target for Your lessons.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
10/29/2007 10:05:48 AM
On Oct 29, 11:05 am, AnrDaemon <anrdae...@freemail.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>

> > AnrDaemon wrote:
> >> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> >> We're speaking about specific needs (say, handling dynamic signatures and file
> >> downloads).
>
> >> Why I said

> > Try your full comment:
> >  >>> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP
> >  >>> as web scripting engine?
>
> >  >>> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
> >  >>> it's behaviour.
>
> >  >>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on
> >  >>> which SAPI You use) to create default environment.
> > I restate.  It is stupid to place everything in your httpd.conf,
>
> You're indeed right. Any better comments?
>
> > directly or indirectly by placing it in a file called in your
> > httpd.conf.  PHP.INI is the initialization file for PHP, and should be
> > used as such.
>
> Well, please, how I can change PHP/Apache behaviour in single directory using
> one PHP.ini?

As he states:

> > It (httpd.conf) should be used as
> > such - for configuring Apache and things which are specific to the
> > server, a virtual host or a directory.

I suspect you actually agree...
--
Rik

AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>
>> AnrDaemon wrote:
>>> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

>>> We're speaking about specific needs (say, handling dynamic signatures and file
>>> downloads).
>>>
>>> Why I said

>> Try your full comment:
>
>>  >>> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP
>>  >>> as web scripting engine?
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
>>  >>> it's behaviour.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on
>>  >>> which SAPI You use) to create default environment.
>
>> I restate.  It is stupid to place everything in your httpd.conf,
>
> You're indeed right. Any better comments?
>
>> directly or indirectly by placing it in a file called in your
>> httpd.conf.  PHP.INI is the initialization file for PHP, and should be
>> used as such.
>
> Well, please, how I can change PHP/Apache behaviour in single directory using
> one PHP.ini?

You should read EVERYTHING I said - and not take things out of context.

>> Everything in the world does not belong in your httpd.conf, directly or
>> indirectly.  It is the Apache configuration file, not the PHP, Perl,
>> MySQL and the rest-of-the-world configuration file. It should be used as
>> such - for configuring Apache and things which are specific to the
>> server, a virtual host or a directory.

> Apache module from httpd.conf. What's wrong?
> Or You just want a place to spread Your idealism? Sorry, I'm not a good
> target for Your lessons.

No, loading PHP as an apache module makes it an EXTENSION of Apache.
You should configure Apache in httpd.conf and PHP in php.ini.  That's
what they are there for.

Sorry, when I see someone post something this asinine, I'll call you on
it.  Just because you're being an idiot doesn't mean the entire world
should be.

Let's see you show me where ZEND or Apache recommend you do it this way.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
10/29/2007 11:22:09 AM
luiheidsgoeroe@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 29, 11:05 am, AnrDaemon <anrdae...@freemail.ru> wrote:
>> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

>>> Try your full comment:
>>>  >>> Hm. Please tell me why You bothering with PHP.ini if You using PHP
>>>  >>> as web scripting engine?
>>>  >>> Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
>>>  >>> it's behaviour.
>>>  >>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on
>>>  >>> which SAPI You use) to create default environment.
>>> I restate.  It is stupid to place everything in your httpd.conf,
>> You're indeed right. Any better comments?
>>
>>> directly or indirectly by placing it in a file called in your
>>> httpd.conf.  PHP.INI is the initialization file for PHP, and should be
>>> used as such.
>> Well, please, how I can change PHP/Apache behaviour in single directory using
>> one PHP.ini?
>
> As he states:
>
>>> It (httpd.conf) should be used as
>>> such - for configuring Apache and things which are specific to the
>>> server, a virtual host or a directory.
>
> I suspect you actually agree...
> --
> Rik

Hi, Rik,

No, he's saying he does ALL PHP configuration in his httpd.conf
(actually a file included in his httpd.conf).  I'm saying PHP should be
configured in the php.ini file and only modified in httpd.conf as necessary.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
10/29/2007 11:47:41 AM
Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> No, he's saying he does ALL PHP configuration in his httpd.conf

Please don't tell me what You think I said.
And read *everything* I wrote. Not only what You want to read.

> (actually a file included in his httpd.conf).

You stupid. Sad but true.

> I'm saying PHP should be
> configured in the php.ini file and only modified in httpd.conf as necessary.

Again:

> Why I said

>>> Use php-apache2handler.ini or php-apache2filter.ini (depends on which SAPI You
>>> use) to create default environment.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
10/30/2007 9:55:32 PM
AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>
>> No, he's saying he does ALL PHP configuration in his httpd.conf
>
> Please don't tell me what You think I said.
> And read *everything* I wrote. Not only what You want to read.
>
>> (actually a file included in his httpd.conf).
>
> You stupid. Sad but true.
>
>> I'm saying PHP should be
>> configured in the php.ini file and only modified in httpd.conf as necessary.
>
> Again:
>
>> Why I said

Yes, I read everything you said.  You are including them in your
httpd.conf file.

And I quote:

 > Install PHP as Apache module and use httpd.conf/.htaccess to control
 > it's behavior.

And it's still a stoopid way to do it.  You should not use
httpd.conf/.htaccess to control PHP behavior except on a virtual machine
or lower (i.e. directory, file) level.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
10/31/2007 1:02:59 AM
Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> AnrDaemon wrote:
>> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>>
>>> No, he's saying he does ALL PHP configuration in his httpd.conf
>>
>> Please don't tell me what You think I said.
>> And read *everything* I wrote. Not only what You want to read.
>>
>>> (actually a file included in his httpd.conf).
>>
>> You stupid. Sad but true.
>>
>>> I'm saying PHP should be
>>> configured in the php.ini file and only modified in httpd.conf as necessary.
>>
>> Again:
>>
>>> Why I said

> Yes, I read everything you said.  You are including them in your
> httpd.conf file.

Where you read it? Point please.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
10/31/2007 1:23:46 PM
AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.
>
>> AnrDaemon wrote:
>>> Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

>>> Please don't tell me what You think I said.
>>> And read *everything* I wrote. Not only what You want to read.

>>> You stupid. Sad but true.

>>> Again:

>> Yes, I read everything you said.  You are including them in your
>> httpd.conf file.
>
> Where you read it? Point please.

Read what I quoted - instead of trimming my posts to not include it.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)

Php constants in php.ini
I am trying to set user_agent = PHP_VERSION in php.ini. In my php.ini the instructions say that you can use constants in the php.ini file. The only constants I can get to work, though, are the error level constants like E_ALL, E_ERROR, E_WARNING, etc., ... Is anyone aware of some sort of trick to getting others to work? (I was thinking it would be nice to have the user agent string used by my Php scripts to use PHP_VERSION in the string.) -- ***************************** Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it is common. *****...

where is php.ini for the PHP CLI binary?
#!/bin/php <?php echo "hello, world!"; ?> That produces the following: PHP Warning: Directive 'register_globals' is deprecated in PHP 5.3 and greater in Unknown on line 0 PHP Warning: Directive 'register_long_arrays' is deprecated in PHP 5.3 and greater in Unknown on line 0 hello, world! I'd like to update my php.ini file to make those errors go away but don't know where it is. Any ideas as to how I could go about finding it? yawnmoth wrote: > #!/bin/php > <?php > echo "hello, world!"; > ?> > > That produces the ...

PHP on a MacOS sever. Where is php.ini?
I have a client who is using a Mac OSX server. I'm logged in now, but I cannot find php.ini. Is the file called something different on a Mac? I need to locate the variable for max_uploads and increase the size. -- [ Sugapablo ] [ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music ] [ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal ] [ sugapablo@12jabber.com <--jabber IM ] Sugapablo wrote: > I have a client who is using a Mac OSX server. I'm logged in now, but I > cannot find php.ini. Is the file called something different on a Mac? > > I need to ...

PHP is looking for php.ini file in c:\windows
As the installation txt suggests, I have left my php.ini file inside the c:\php directory... but running phpinfo() shows that my php.ini file is in c:\windows as shown below. Configuration File (php.ini path) - C:\WINDOWS Well there is no php.ini file in my windows directory, so I'm not sure where it's getting it's configuration settings from... unless I suppose they're built into the executable somewhere if no php.ini file is found. My questions is - why php is not locating my php.ini file that is located in the c:\php directory? I'd rather not move it to the windows dir...

php can't load php.ini
Hi people! It seems to be that php 5.3.2 can't load the php.ini file. And I don't know why. Can anybody help me?! Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /usr/local/lib okay, there I copied the "php.ini" file, and Loaded Configuration File => (none) tells me, not loading... even I checked the access rights of the file. For any ideas thank you in advance Tamer Tamer Higazi wrote: > Hi people! > It seems to be that php 5.3.2 can't load the php.ini file. And I don't > know why. Can anybody help me?! > > Configuration File...

unix / php 4.4.0 / php.ini ?
hi all, i cant find php.ini in upgraded php from 4.3.7 ?!?!? where the hell is it ? the prefix is new but there is no lib directory /usr/local/php-4.4.0/ On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:25:48 +0200, g0c wrote: > where the hell is it ? find / -name "php.ini" -- JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ On 2005-08-08, g0c <REMOVEg0c@msn.com> wrote: > hi all, > i cant find php.ini in upgraded php from 4.3.7 ?!?!? > where the hell is it ? > the prefix is new but there is no li...

how to compile php with new ini setting?
I need to add aspell capability to php. I added the following line: extension=libaspell.so The extension directory is: extension_dir = /usr/local/apache2/libexec/modules and I put the aspell cirectories under that like so the extension is actually: /usr/local/apache/libexec/modules/aspell/lib/libaspell.so I thought that would do it. But when I run php_info() it does not display in the Configure Command that it is "--with-aspell". SO I am missing something. I was not able to compile aspell so I found a precompiled version and put it under the extension_dir. Any ideas? ...

php.ini
Does anyone know why the ASPI module of php is not reading my php.ini in my c:\winnt directory? Won't read it no matter what I do On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:06:38 +1300, "Hayden Kirk" <hayden@ixon.co.nz> wrote: >Does anyone know why the ASPI module of php ASPI? That's a SCSI library... Do you mean SAPI? >is not reading my php.ini in my c:\winnt directory? Which php.ini is it reading? Use phpinfo() to find out. >Won't read it no matter what I do What did you do? -- Andy Hassall (andy@andyh.co.uk) icq(5747695) (http://www.andyh.co.uk) Space: disk u...

php to php obj
Hi All, Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? Thanks in advance --AR John7481 <arjohn7481@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted: > Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in > deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? To what end? Do you want a PHP obfuscator? They tend not to be needed - since the code remains on the server. Do you want a PHP squeezer? Again - since PHP remains on the server that is of reduced importanc...

php outside php (?)
Sounds weird, i know. What i want/wonder is the following: PHP can do the next: <?php if($foo == 'bar') { ?> Ow yeah, foo is bar! <?php }; ?> But how can i do the following: <?php $foo= ?> this is what foo looks like. <?php }; ?> This way i could edit the content of $foo in DW's design-view. I hope it's clear enough for you all to understand... Greetings frizzle. frizzle wrote: > But how can i do the following: > > <?php > > $foo= > > ?> > this is what foo looks like. > &l...

There is no PHP.ini
Hi all, I've a fresh install of php 4.1.10 on my XP machine and there is no php.ini file. I've removed any from system directory, so wich one it is using ? as they are no other php.ini file than in the Backup directory of the php install dir. Bob Bob Bedford wrote: > Hi all, > > I've a fresh install of php 4.1.10 on my XP machine and there is no > php.ini file. > > I've removed any from system directory, so wich one it is using ? as > they are no other php.ini file than in the Backup directory of the php > install dir. running phpinfo(...

PHP within PHP...
I took over the support of a website that is set up something like this inside one of the pages: include_once("header.php"); <?php //to get the content of the page they do this: $content = mysql_query("select content etc...); echo $content; ?> include_once("footer.php"); I am having problems evaluating any php that is used in the mysql content. Is there a way to get the mysql withing the mysql to run? Thank you for your time, Mandragon On Sep 17, 12:56 pm, Mandrago...@gmail.com wrote: > I took over the support of a website that is set up something li...

Local of php.ini with protected sub-directories
My client has a remote hosting setup and whenever I try to upload a local copy of php.ini, we can not access any of our pages in any sub- directories. We need the local copy as instructed by hosting support (wish me luck), for allow_url_fopen functionality. Our configuration is as follows: Windows Server (We are using some .NET binaries, so can't easily switch away) PHP 5 We are currently password protecting by IIS directory permissions. (If we turn the password protection off, it works... my client isn't ready for that) remote hosting (so, limited in configurations options, no conso...

Web resources about - Does a lower php.ini replace an upper php.ini in the directory tree ? Activation in .htaccess necessary ? - comp.lang.php

Manual fire alarm activation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A fire alarm pull station is an active fire protection device, usually wall-mounted, that, when activated, initiates an alarm on a fire alarm ...

Crack the Whip: Whipping Sounds with LightSaber Humming Sound FX and Sound Sensor Activation on the App ...
... customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Crack the Whip: Whipping Sounds with LightSaber Humming Sound FX and Sound Sensor Activation. ...

iPhone Prior to Activation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
After a couple of weeks, I noticed the Incase Protective Cover above actually caused a few scratches on both of our iPhones. Derek Punsalan wrote ...

YouTube - Nexus 4 Unboxing & Walkthrough + Solavei Activation
Veröffentlicht am 07.12.2012 This video was filmed with another Nexus 4, so it should show you the video quality of a Nexus 4. The unboxing ...

Kim Kardashian visits Westfield Parramatta for 'consumer activation'
Let&#8217;s get one thing straight: this was not a media appearance, this was a &#8220;consumer activation&#8221;.

Google announces Android 4.4 KitKat, passes a billion activations
Google has announced the name of the next major version of Android will be called 4.4 KitKat, with the mobile and online services giant also ...

Android KitKat update unveiled as activations pass 1 billion
The latest version of Google's Android software is being named after a favourite treat of Google engineers: Kit Kat.

Telus Activation Fee Disappears, But Wireless Provider Adds $10 SIM Card Charge
... (TSX:T) is getting rid of some costly fees for its wireless customers.The Vancouver-based carrier says it's no longer charging a $35 activation ...

China surpasses US in new activations of smart mobile devices
China surpasses US in new activations of smart mobile devices People's Daily Online By Chen Yiming ( People's Daily ) In February 2012, China ...

Google adds always-listening ‘OK Google’ voice activation to Chromebooks
While "OK Google" capability has been available in the form of a Chrome extension for quite some time now, those using it had to be on a specific ...