File Permissions of PHP Session Files

Hi!

I noticed that the file permissions (unix) of the PHP session files
have only read and write permissions for the Apache process (600 or rw-
--- ---).

Does anyone have any idea where this permission is set ? I can't find
any
umask or chmod settings for it in the php.ini file.  Can't find
anything in
the httpd.conf either.  Is it set in the PHP code that implements
session_start()?

Thanks for any pointers

Those files are created and modified by the the apache process, so you
probably want the umask of that user (most likely "nobody").

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to change the permissions on
those files?

0
zeldorblat (774)
10/17/2005 3:14:20 AM
I was trying to write a bash script to be executed by cron to clean up
old session files that were not properly removed, eg, when the user
didn't do a proper logout which would have activated a
session_destroy().

Apparently, the system (either PHP or apache) doesn't do 'garbage
collection' of such files as part of its normal operation.  Or am I
missing something ?

Spendwiser wrote:

> I was trying to write a bash script to be executed by cron to clean up
> old session files that were not properly removed, eg, when the user
> didn't do a proper logout which would have activated a
> session_destroy().
>
> Apparently, the system (either PHP or apache) doesn't do 'garbage
> collection' of such files as part of its normal operation.  Or am I
> missing something ?

You are missing something - the default session handler does clear up old
files. Go RTFM.

Why do you think you need different permissions to remove them using a cron
job?

(you don't)

C.
Took a closer look at TFM :) I think I know why there are session files
almost a week old still lying around.  The gc apparently only gets
kicked off on a 0.01 probability, based on default settings.  And my
site haven't got that high a hit rate yet to trigger it often enough.

Well, that's one mystery solved!

Open .php file with PHP Designer 2007 by clicking the file in XP
In windows XP, I want to be able to click on a .php file and have it opened in PHP Designer 2007, Or right-click on it and have an "edit" menu option presented to me. I know how to tweak the registry to do this in general, but what would the command line look like in this specific case ? PHP Designer does not do this automatically. It is as if the program does not allow commandline options. It only opens with the last file used or a menu of recently opened files. ...

want to get content of one php file in another php file
i have one php file having content Contents of ex1.php file <body> <?php $content = "c://webserver/www/abc.php"; $handle = fopen($content, "r"); echo fread($handle,filesize($content)); ?> </body> this is reading abc.php file in which i m simply using an echo statement. When i execute ex1.php file i cant see the php statement of abc.php file content of abc.php file is <?php echo "hello";?> sarika wrote: > i have one php file having content > > Contents of ex1.php file > <body> > <?php > $content = "c://webserver/www/abc.php"; > $handle = fopen($content, "r"); > echo fread($handle,filesize($content)); > ?> > </body> > this is reading abc.php file in which i m simply using an echo > statement. When i execute ex1.php file i cant see the php statement of > abc.php file > > content of abc.php file is > <?php echo "hello";?> That's interesting, I've found out that it's the browser that's hiding <?php ?> tags within .phpx pages. Probably to avoid short tags scripts (on a server that doesn't allow them) from getting leaked by visitors who don't know about this browser trick, until the dev' realizes his error. Not a good thing, IMO; dev's should take care, themselves, and it's still not secure since the hidden string is still in the rendered source. And now we don't know how ...

Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php file
Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php file? I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is included into a PHP file using <script src="filename.js></script> This code initialises a Javascript variable var u="string"; The string is supposed to be the value of $HTTP_HOST So, when initialise this variable like var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>; I sterted getting a javascript message Syntax Error Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js files? aa wrote: > Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php > file? > > I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is included > into a PHP file using > <script src="filename.js></script> > > This code initialises a Javascript variable > var u="string"; > > The string is supposed to be the value of $HTTP_HOST > > So, when initialise this variable like > > var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>; > > I sterted getting a javascript message Syntax Error > > Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js > files? js files are not parsed for PHP code unless you specifically tell the webserver to do so. Therefore, "var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>;" in the .js will error since the browser doesn't know what to do. -- Justin Koivisto - spam@koiv...

how to enable permissions in htaccsess for php file.php script problems
I am having problems with a ftp to http php scrip: Warning: ftp_get(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/ftp_login.html.600490715) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home:/tmp:/usr) in /home/jbsmedia/public_html/ftp.php on line 352. when i download files, when i upload i get Upload failed! Can't create temp file?. as far as i fuigured i set my ftp file folder cmod 777. then must have to do somethin to the htaccess file. my host is running a unix appache server. i found it has something to do with internal server error 500 and mkdir command= mkdir /var/tmp/xfers && chmod 1777 /var/tmp/xfers */ $phpftp_tmpdir="/var/tmp/xfers" can anyone help sorry type error http to ftp script ...

SSI Including PHP File Within PHP File Causes Seg Fault and Crash
Can somebody concur or verify the following? I'm having this problem on all of my installations. I've got Apache 2.0.40 and PHP 4.2.2 installed and configured from RedHat RPMs. Nothing out of the ordinary. In the httpd.conf file, PHP files are called with the following: <Files *.php> SetOutputFilter PHP;INCLUDES SetInputFilter PHP LimitRequestBody 524288 </Files> I create two files as follows: /test1.php <!--#include virtaul="/test2.php" --> and /test2.php Testing 1 2 3 By going to http://host/test1.php, it may or may not display the fi...

PHP does not parse .PHP files
I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. With CLI, I am able to execute my .php files. For example, if I type "php phpinfo.php" , this works fine on my system. If I put the phpinfo.php file is in /var/www/html and I try to access it through the browser, I get the content of the file and not the execution of the file. Instead of display the info of PHP, I got the text of the file as: <?php phpinfo(); ?> Why? Thanks Phong Ho wrote: >I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. > >With CLI, I am able to execute my ....

including a PHP file displays the file's content to the user agent (PHP 5.1)
Hi all I'm having a strange problem when upgrading the content management system eZ publish from PHP 4.4 to PHP 5.1. Some cache files related to i18n are included with the "include" function, but they are being displayed to the user agent instead of being parsed by PHP. With PHP 4.4 there was no problem. You can download a test script from: http://blog.kristofcoomans.be/wp-content/uploads/test.tar Thanks for your help Cheers -- Kristof Cyberwolf wrote: > Hi all > > I'm having a strange problem when upgrading the content management > system eZ publish from PHP 4.4 to PHP 5.1. Some cache files related to > i18n are included with the "include" function, but they are being > displayed to the user agent instead of being parsed by PHP. With PHP > 4.4 there was no problem. > > You can download a test script from: > http://blog.kristofcoomans.be/wp-content/uploads/test.tar > > Thanks for your help > > Cheers > > -- > > Kristof Do any other php pages parse properly? If not, then it will most likely be a problem with your install and/or configuration. If you can parse some php pages, it might be worth checking your PHP 5 configuration, and then Apache's configuration if nothing jumps out at you in there. Is there any particular reason you chose to go with PHP 5? I have heard of lots of people having problems with it, which is why I stay away from it. Well, until I understand it a bit better...

Some php files in same directory of working files with same permissions won't process
Has anyone ever had this happen? I upgraded phpMyAdmin (2.9.0.3) and suddenly the php files no longer were processed by the php engine -- (Apache sends the php files as though they were a download). I checked my permissions, php.ini and httpd.conf, nothing strange there -- same as when it worked. I read UPDATING (I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE, Apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.1.6_1, MySQL 5.0.24a) and nothing there on it. Checked the phpMyAdmin site and nothing I could find there either. Here's the really odd part -- if I go to the phpmyadmin directory, create a php file with vi and save -- viola the new file works as expected. What should I check next? To see what I am talking about go to: http://welcome.coe.jmu.edu/dbadmin/index.php and then go to http://welcome.coe.jmu.edu/dbadmin/test.php I can post my php.ini and httpd.conf files if anyone wants to look at them -- but since I can put a file in the same directory and have it run fine I don't think this is the problem. ...

PHP and File Permissions
Hello, Does PHP act as a user on a Linux/Apache server when it reads/edits files? I am setting up file permissions so I believe I need to give "owner" write permissions so PHP can edit my files. When my PHP script creates a file in my document root it has the same owner ID as files I created. Permissions reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions Lan Mind wrote: > Hello, > > Does PHP act as a user on a Linux/Apache server when it reads/edits > files? I am setting up file permissions so I believe I need to give > "owner" write permissions so PHP can edit my files. When my PHP script > creates a file in my document root it has the same owner ID as files I > created. > > Permissions reference: > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions EVERYTHING on a Linux system runs under a some user, and must obey the permissions set for that user. In the case of a CLI script, it runs under your userid. For an Apache module, it runs under the Apache user's id. And I would suggest you get a book on Linux administration. It will be much more thorough than the wikipedia article. If you are administering the system, there is a lot more to making/keeping it secure than file permissions. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== Hello Jerry, When you said: "In the case ...

Modify a php file(model) with php
I have an invoice model on my server! and i want to replace some field(like adresse, phone, price, VAT, ....) do you know a tools or class that allows those kind of manipulations Thanks you Yoni Yoni Alhadeff a �crit : > I have an invoice model on my server! and i want to replace some field(like > adresse, phone, price, VAT, ....) > > do you know a tools or class that allows those kind of manipulations > > Thanks you > > Yoni > > Couldn't you replace field with var and have them set when including your template (it become one in fact) ? I didn'...

file php how a js recalled by other file
I have a File0.php with code: <?php $var2='Hello'; ?> <script type="text/javascript"> var vp2 = '<?php print $var2; ?>' ; document.write(vp2) ; </script> ok work; but would like to use other solutions, also to see how work php with js: 1) var vp2 = '<?php $var2; ?>' ; why so not work ? (absolute want print or echo) 2) to move this row <?php $var2='Hello'; ?> form File0.php to a new file1.js see that it is a php code, think that only solution is however to make a file1.php but with header in javascript that will be recalled after from File0.php: is possible , how ? (noice, not want use include o require beause interesting at insert .js (or simulation) inner php file) ...

PHP File upload
Hi, I have to allow my visitors to upload image on my site. I am using the follwoing code to do that: $uploaddir = 'admin/'; $uploadfile = $uploaddir . basename($_FILES['userfile']['name']); move_uploaded_file($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name'], $uploadfile); My problem is that I expect them to use same file name, like all of them will be uploading files like, comments.rtf. So if there is already one comments.rtf the file will get overwriten... so the challenge is to rename the files to username-filename.rtf can anybody here will take the pain to modify...

How to invoke remote php file from php?
Hi, I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I can access this remote php thru a simple url and it prints some info on the web page. How do I get this info back to store as a variable in local php? Regards, Alex. Alex wrote: > Hi, I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file > on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I can access this remote > php thru a simple url and it prints some info on the web page. How do I > get this info back to store as a variable in local php? > > Regards, > Alex. > See example 16-11 here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php Alex wrote: > > I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file > on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I can access this remote > php thru a simple url and it prints some info on the web page. How do I > get this info back to store as a variable in local php? $info = file_get_contents('http://remoteserver.com/script.php'); Cheers, NC Carl & NC, Thank you very much!!! Both examples work great. Not precisely sure what you mean, something simple like this might do what you want: $contents = file_get_contents('http://www.site.com/alexs_page.php?param=1&id=2'); NC wrote: > Alex wrote: > >>I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file >>on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I...

php assembly of multiple php files
I am trying to combine multiple php pages into 1. Basically I have created a shell page and then a seperate php file for each form to be included within the shell. The problem I am having is that when a user submits one of the forms the main shell and the other php files POST values are all returned as NULL and I only get the values pertaining to the form that was submitted?. If all the files were combined into one very long php file, I would get all the POSTs returned how can I do the same but with multiple files? When you submit an include, do the POST values not get passed back to the Main calling page? Thank you, QB Question Boy wrote: > I am trying to combine multiple php pages into 1. > > Basically I have created a shell page and then a seperate php file for > each form to be included within the shell. > > The problem I am having is that when a user submits one of the forms > the main shell and the other php files POST values are all returned as > NULL and I only get the values pertaining to the form that was > submitted?. If all the files were combined into one very long php > file, I would get all the POSTs returned how can I do the same but > with multiple files? > > When you submit an include, do the POST values not get passed back to > the Main calling page? > > Thank you, > > QB This has nothing to do with PHP - it's how HTML works. The browser will only send the data for the form being subm...

When does the php interpreter loads the php file?
Hi All, I'm wondering three facts about php, apache and apache module. 1.How can i differentiate the php intepreter if it's running as a apache module or as cgi? 2.When does the php interpretor loads the php file to main memory? 3.and till when it keeps the php file on memory? - in my experience only after installing Zend it caches the php file. Thak you *** Kim Gijung wrote/escribi� (20 Oct 2004 00:03:35 -0700): > 1.How can i differentiate the php intepreter if it's running as a > apache module or as cgi? If I recall correctly phpinfo() calls it "Server API&qu...

Parsing a php include (which also contains php code)
Hello, I am using the <?php include() ?> statement on my website for organizational purposes. However, one of my includes contains some PHP code. Is there any way for the server to actually parse the include? I've tried this before, and it did not parse the include. Rather, it included the file as just plain ASCII. ======================= /*EXAMPLE 1*/ /*index.php*/ .... <?php include('global/includes/footer.inc') ?> .... /*footer.inc*/ .... <p>&copy 1993-<?php echo date("Y") ?> Kingswood School. All rights reserved.</p> .... /*EXAMPLE 2*/ /*index.php*/ .... <?php include('global/includes/lastmod.php') ?> .... /*lastmod.php*/ .... <?php echo "This file was last modified: "; echo strftime("%A %B %d %Y"); include('whateverfilename.inc'); ?> ============================= I would like to be able to parse the include if it has php code, and in some cases, create nesting includes (an include within an include). Is this even possible? Any ideas? Any help is certainly appreciated. Thanks! Steven Borrelli Web Developer Kingswood School Steven Borrelli wrote: > Hello, > > I am using the <?php include() ?> statement on my website for > organizational purposes. However, one of my includes contains some > PHP code. Is there any way for the server to actually parse the > include? I've tried this before, and it did not parse the in...

php sessions and css file?

php file unlink() permissions
This is driving me a little nuts. I cannot create or unlink any files with PHP. ini_set() seems to have no effect. Linux RH8, Apache, PHP4. Help! In article <SvlPc.14480$hw6.6364@edtnps84>, "Chris Fortune" <hey.spammer...just.get@job.org> wrote: > This is driving me a little nuts. I cannot create or unlink any files with > PHP. ini_set() seems to have no effect. Linux RH8, Apache, PHP4. Help! This should be a php FAQ. If you're running php as a mod_php addition to Apache, chances are you don't have write permissions to create the file or directory running as the web server's UID. You'll have to either change the permissions accordingly or write a CGI script as php or perl and run it under a UID that does have permission (hint: google for CGIwrap) -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... ...

cron jobs in PHP admin to run a PHP file
I want to run a php script every day. The page goes to a directory and parses a file and adds data to the database. Where it says "command" in cron jobs I don't know what it is looking for? Can I put the name of my php file? This is what I have: Minute Hour Day Month Weekday Command 1 8 1-7 1-31 * myPage.php The reason I am asking is I don't have a clue what PHPadmin wants in the command box. All I want to do is run the php script. Thanks, janis JRough wrote: >I want to run a php script every day. The page goes to a directory > and > parses a file and adds data to the database. Where it says "command" > in cron jobs I don't know what it is looking for? Can I put the name > of my php file? > > This is what I have: > > Minute Hour Day Month Weekday Command > 1 8 1-7 1-31 > * myPage.php > > The reason I am asking is I don't have a clue what PHPadmin wants in > the command box. All I want to do is run the php script. > > Thanks, > janis usually you would put the path to the php interpreter followed by any required options followed by the script file name On May 27, 12:17 pm, JRough <jlro...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I want to run a php script every day. The page goes to a directory > and > parses a file and add...

php bug? strange end of php file error
Why this code <?php function X() { // echo("commented ?>"); } X(); ?> give the error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end" ??? ?> is into a string commented! On 07.09.2007 17:31 Fabio wrote: > Why this code > > <?php > function X() > { > // echo("commented ?>"); > } > X(); > ?> > > give the error > "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end" > > ??? > > ?> is into a string commented! no, it is not. There's no "strings" inside comments, comment is a stream of characters and does take ?> into account. I don't think this is a good idea either, but so is it. -- gosha bine makrell ~ http://www.tagarga.com/blok/makrell php done right ;) http://code.google.com/p/pihipi "gosha bine" <stereofrog@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:46e17257$0$31118$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org... > On 07.09.2007 17:31 Fabio wrote: >> Why this code >> >> <?php >> function X() >> { >> // echo("commented ?>"); >> } >> X(); >> ?> >> >> give the error >> "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end" >> >> ??? >> >> ?> is into a string commented! > > no, it is not. There's no "strings" inside comments, comment is a stream > of characters and does take ?> into a...

PHP is looking for php.ini file in c:\windows
As the installation txt suggests, I have left my php.ini file inside the c:\php directory... but running phpinfo() shows that my php.ini file is in c:\windows as shown below. Configuration File (php.ini path) - C:\WINDOWS Well there is no php.ini file in my windows directory, so I'm not sure where it's getting it's configuration settings from... unless I suppose they're built into the executable somewhere if no php.ini file is found. My questions is - why php is not locating my php.ini file that is located in the c:\php directory? I'd rather not move it to the windows directory so I can keep everything nice and tidy like the installation file suggests. BTW - This is a brand new laptop I'm installing PHP on so there is (I just double checked) no PHP.ini file in the c:\windows directory. The path is set to include c:\php... and opening a DOS prompt and typing "php" is a recognizable command regardless of my current directory. This is the 2nd machine I have had this same problem with. I'm still confused... Any thoughts? thanks ~john wrote: > As the installation txt suggests, I have left my php.ini file inside > the c:\php directory... but running phpinfo() shows that my php.ini > file is in c:\windows as shown below. > > Configuration File (php.ini path) - C:\WINDOWS > > Well there is no php.ini file in my windows directory, so I'm not sure > where it's getting it's configuration settings from... ...

Help: Make a php file return a zip file?
I need help with writing a script that returns a zip file. if(1 == $download){ // Setup headers for zip file // Return zip file // Afterwards, display previous php page } Can you help with fleshing out the function. I think I have the basic idea of what needs to be done, but I don't know what the syntax is. Thanks! nicholas4@gmail.com wrote in news:1109010514.438397.23840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > I need help with writing a script that returns a zip file. > > if(1 == $download){ > // Setup headers for zip file > // Return zip file > // Afte...

Why are my PHP files are not being executed (PHP keywords/syntax being ignored)
I have been hosting a website on the same server for roughly 2 years. The entire site is based on a group of PHP scripts. Today, without changing a thing, the server stopped recognizing all PHP keywords and syntax. When I use firefox, the page simply displays a text/plain version of my source code. When I use IE, the page loads as text/html, however, all lines of PHP code (between "<?" and "?>") are displayed as text. My assumption is that my host has stopped providing PHP extensions. Can anybody confirm this or give me another explanation? All help is greatly appreciated! -JR >I have been hosting a website on the same server for roughly 2 years. >The entire site is based on a group of PHP scripts. Today, without >changing a thing, the server stopped recognizing all PHP keywords and >syntax. When I use firefox, the page simply displays a text/plain >version of my source code. When I use IE, the page loads as text/html, >however, all lines of PHP code (between "<?" and "?>") are displayed as >text. > >My assumption is that my host has stopped providing PHP extensions. >Can anybody confirm this or give me another explanation? > >All help is greatly appreciated! Your files are not being treated as PHP, but as text. It is possible that the Apache directive to treat .php files as PHP got lost. (It's possible this was in one of YOUR .htaccess files, rather than the Apache config...

Single PHP file
Hi All, Hoping for some direction here (I have searched, without avail, for a solution already). I was toying with trying to find a way whereby I could have a single PHP file, and then specify whether to either see the processed output or the source code by using the extensions php and phps (respectively). So, with one file called "theFile.php" on the server, going to "www.server.com/theFile.php" would show the end result of the php actions, whereas going to "www.server.com/theFile.phps" would show the actual content of the file itself. I thought this could be done by modifying the htaccess file as follows: AddType application/x-httpd-php-source phps RewriteEngine on RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule ^(.+)\.phps$ $1.php However this does not work: - if a *.php file exists, then accessing *.php or *.phps returns the end result of the php actions. - if a *.phps file exists, then accessing *.php returns a 404 error, and *.phps shows the actual file contents. Looking for any direction, references, or assistance. Thanks On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:04:18 +0100, Lucanos <lucanos@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Hoping for some direction here (I have searched, without avail, for a > solution already). > > I was toying with trying to find a way whereby I could have a single > PHP file, and then specify whether to either see the processed output > or the source code by us...

Web resources about - File Permissions of PHP Session Files - comp.lang.php

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Tests Allowing Users To Start Games Instantly, Bypass Permissions Dialog
Facebook game developers Zynga , Kixeye , and Electronic Arts reached agreements with Facebook to test a new “start now” feature, that allows ...

Why is the Messenger app requesting permission to access features on my Android phone or tablet? - Facebook-Hilfebereich ...
If you install the Messenger app on your Android, your phone or tablet should let you know that the app is asking for your permission to access... ...

Permissions Reference - Facebook-Entwickler
When a user authenticates your application, by default, your app gets the ability to read only the u...

Facebook tests ‘start now’ option to allow users to begin playing games without authorizing permissions ...
Some Facebook canvas games are testing a new “start now” function to let users begin playing games immediately without the roadblock of a permissions ...

OOPS: without Permission, Paul Ryan and Family Show Up Washing Clean Dishes at Ohio Soup Kitchen - YouTube ...
The head of a charity in Ohio is not pleased with Paul Ryan's photo op at a soup kitchen in Ohio, saying that the Romney campaign "ramrodded ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

LeBron James sought sons' permission before his return to Ohio
Before LeBron James could return home to the Cavaliers, he first had to clear it with his children.

Scientists seek permission to edit the genes of human embryos
British scientists have applied for permission to edit the genes of human embryos in a series of experiments aimed at finding out more about ...