how to compile php with new ini setting? - trying to use aspell with php

I need to add aspell capability to php.  I added the following line:

extension=libaspell.so

The extension directory is:
extension_dir =  /usr/local/apache2/libexec/modules

and I put the aspell cirectories under that like so the extension is
actually:

/usr/local/apache/libexec/modules/aspell/lib/libaspell.so

I thought that would do it.  But when I run php_info() it does not display
in the Configure Command that it is "--with-aspell".  SO I am missing
something.

I was not able to compile aspell so I found a precompiled version and put it
under the extension_dir.

Any ideas?  Many thanks!!